Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by Kasey Chang »

Far Cry 4: Just hit about 75% complete, just killed Yuma. Apparently even when drugged I can still kill Yuma dead along with all her guards. Muahahahaha. Gonna take out her compound next. Unlocked and bought almost EVERY skill except one that's locked under the mission "Payback", which should be like near the very end.

I am tired of seeing every outpost I leave almost immediately call me back to help defend it. What a joke.

I am not sure if I should carry RPG, or the 8-shot grenade launcher, as my heavy weapon. As I can carry nearly everything now, my usual goto is a good sniper rifle (either signature or whatever else silenced), Driller (signature LMG), a grenade launcher (or RPG), and a silenced sidearm (probably auto crossbow, but if I picked the blooper as the grenade launcher, I'd pick Shredder as my 2-hand SMG) I group weapons into four groups: silent short (close range work), silent long (suppressed sniper rifle), though if I'm close enough crossbow with two shots can often do the job too, loud medium (LMG or assault rifle), and finally, special/heavy weapon (grenade launcher or RPG). If they are not in these groups, I probably won't use it at all.

Have access to the bullpup 50-cal sniper rifle, put suppressor, scope, and extended mag on it, of course. This may replace the current sniper rifle as I can one-shot everyone, two-shot heavies (unless I get a headshot).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You don't need a grenade launcher. Just stock up on explosive heads for the bow. Plus the bow rocks as a silent killer.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

TheMix wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:52 am You don't need a grenade launcher. Just stock up on explosive heads for the bow. Plus the bow rocks as a silent killer.
True, true, but having 40 grenades that can be chucked one per second is a load of fun.

I have more than 2.5 mil and I've stopped picking up loot. There's really no point any more.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So many ways to play. I rarely bothered with explosives at all on my run.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Mostly I didn't bother. Except for the stupid side missions that would pop up to either destroy a convoy or steal the truck. Since I didn't want to bother trying to drive it back to wherever (which was always the opposite direction from where I was heading), I started just blowing them up and moving on. Yes, I know I could ignore them, but they kept popping up and interfering with my play. So, BOOM! Problem solved. Also useful for when reinforcements were incoming at an outpost, either taking or defending. One shot to take out a vehicle saved having to mess with all the guys in the vehicle.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Far Cry 4: At 79.87 percent (almost 80%). Within 4 missions of the final. Conquered all but one tower, one outpost, and one fortress (Min's own of course). Just conquered the temple and survived the boat attack (mined all the wrong places), and my guns are much more effective (more accurate) than the fixed emplacements (except the grenade launcher, of course). Then survived the artillery strike on Ukatesh (sp?) while fighting off bigger and bigger wave of Min's Royal Guards (better equipped than the regular Royal Army, they all seem to speak Cantonese, probably Hong Kong mercenaries)

My Karma and XP are already maxed out. I've bought just about anything that can be bought, so no more place to spend the money. I've pretty much stopped picking up loot altogether. There are a few more guns and skill to unlock, but they require spending time in the Arena, which I don't really feel like doing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved Min. I wanted a full DLC where I played for him and his side. Such a great guy. I HATED those 2 morons of the Golden Path. I wanted to kill them both and have the girl rule. Kinda soured the end a little.

A spoiler for the very beginning of the game.
Spoiler:
Once you finish it star ta new game and just sit in Mins place at the start and dont leave.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Heck, why not kill both of them and I'll let Bhadra rule with me as regent? :)

But it's VERY interesting how they foreshadowed each of the endings in the hallucination sequences (fighting Yuma).
Spoiler:
If you sided with Sabal, you get dream sequences where he keeps saying stuff like "You slit your own throats", which is exactly what happens in the "aftermath".
Oh, and I never knew that Yuma is Pagan's
Spoiler:
sorta-step-sister. Pagan's father, a gang boss, rescued Yuma when her family was killed by police raids, probably to merge the two criminal enterprises, and Pagan was always sorta Yuma's "big brother".
I went with Sabal at all the major choices, and I chose to let Amita go when it comes time to shoot her. When I was meeting Min, I also let him go, so I found Lakshmana. Man, what a f***ing mess.
Spoiler:
In a way, that sort of makes Pagan Min... Ajay's stepfather?
Spoiler:
So Mohan sent his wife Ishwari undercover to sleep with Pagan Min. They fathered a daughter, Lakshmana. Mohan killed Lakshmana and Ishwari killed Mohan. Then Ishwari left with Arjay for the US, never mentioning Kyrat ever again, until near death, asking "take me back to Lakshmana" without telling him what is Lakshmana. The only way to figure it out is to let Pagan Min live, until he departs in the helo. THEN you can shoot it down, if you brought an RPG. I did.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

TheMix wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:52 am You don't need a grenade launcher. Just stock up on explosive heads for the bow. Plus the bow rocks as a silent killer.
The explosives in the arrow are too weak and doesn't kill the heavies. I put like 5 into a heavy and he still won't die.

With that said, the Buzzsaw (modernized MG43) kills heavies dead.

Got every fortress, tower, and outpost. I didn't finish every mission, but I did most of the major ones. There's some racing, and bomb defusing stuff to do, but not much more. I don't really feel like chasing down every last poster, diary, and lost letter around.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That last spoiler...yup. I liked him too.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Oh, turns out, the game does let you somewhat "atone" after the aftermath.
Spoiler:
Once Pagan Min had been dealt with, and you went to see the aftermath at the respective base, Sabal or Amita, you can choose to shoot them and their followers then and there. I guess that would sorta leave you as the ruler/king and leader of Golden Path. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
Did you let Pagan fly off?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:48 am
Spoiler:
Did you let Pagan fly off?
That's a negatory.
Spoiler:
...THEN you can shoot it down, if you brought an RPG. I did.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Far Cry 4: At 84.76% or so. I have a couple races, plus finding all the propaganda posters, masks, diary, and letters, and a couple Golden Path supply mission, and 3 more Shangri-la missions. I'm a bit of meh. There's a weapon and a skill I haven't unlocked, but that involves arena, and I don't like arena fighting. I think I'm pretty much done. I think I'll go find Pagan Min's corpse and loot it, and call it quits, and consider playing the DLCs.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was in a similar place when I quit. The last Shangri-la mission was the deal-breaker. Too frustrating. I wasn't a fan of the arena either. But I'd done most of the remaining stuff. Just lost interest.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The only one I bothered to do 100% in was Primal. The games are great, but when you reach a certain power level, getting all that stuff just isn't all that fun.

Now, go put Blood Dragon on your list. I haven't had that much fun in years.

After that look at 5, New Dawn, and Primal.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I already played Blood Dragon, It's okay.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Tried Arena. Made it to level 5, then found leveling way too tedious. I'm not good with chaining kills (even though I have the skill) but I do have the melee heavy skill, so instead of trading gunfire with a heavy, I basically charge him and stab him. But really, starting me with a lame pistol? Meh. Everybody else, I can shoot pretty easily, if they aren't all gunning for me.

Finished the last Yoggi mission. So I am over 85% by a hair. Decided that's enough.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found grenades got me through arena.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Panze ... pan46.html

For all you who wondered what would have happened if America had invaded Japan in WW2.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Panze ... pan46.html

For all you who wondered what would have happened if America had invaded Japan in WW2.
Man, I bought a boatload of John Tiller games about 10-15 years ago.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've had enough of Obduction. The game saves where you are, so you can't actually backtrack if you mess up somewhere. This tends to be a mistake given how complex the game is. The puzzle I was stuck on involved multiple teleporters and even following a walkthrough, I couldn't figure it out. It's problematic when you don't even know what changes when you play around with things. There's hardly any feedback to these puzzles. And then you're expected to know how it all works to bring things back to a certain state. Very unintuitive. After not playing it for a few days, trying to come back to it to figure out what needed to be done was too much, especially with all those loading screens.

So, I decided on another playthrough of Consortium, an interesting game I got several years ago. I didn't really have a great video card back then, so it wasn't running quite as smoothly as I can run it now. Hard to describe, but it's a bit like a Star Trek visual novel including shooter elements. They recently rebalanced the game as the shooter elements were a bit hard, and by hard, I mean hardcore. But I found myself in a bit of a bind with this rebalance. For some functions such as healing and repairing your combat suit, energy is required. How you acquire this energy is actually kind of amusing. There are a number of items aboard the ship that you can recycle as energy. Now, depending and how things go with your dialogue choices, the main villain in the game can board you with hostile intent. This is where the shooter elements come into play. You get a gun that uses energy waves, and the energy comes directly from your suit. The problem I ran into was that I was using up way more energy in trying to heal than was available via recycling, and this was on the easiest difficulty level, so I feel that something is still rather unbalanced in regards to how much energy you get via recycling.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:08 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Panze ... pan46.html

Man, I bought a boatload of John Tiller games about 10-15 years ago.

I have most of his. About a month ago I got his modern squad game about the US in the mid east.
I ain't into wargames like I used to be but the Japan one is tempting.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

So, Assassin's Creed Black Flag... or Fallout 4? I have a couple other AC games but I didn't quite like the storyline.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Black Flag is not only the best AC game its also one of the best games ever made.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:26 pm Black Flag is not only the best AC game its also one of the best games ever made.
I am still getting used to the controls. Got to Havana, still figuring out the "lay of the land", so to speak. Still haven't quite figured out how to catch that "ditty". So it's basically a parkour challenge? Follow it by doing all the parkour moves?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just run fast as you can and keep your eye out for its direction. It will stay on a path you can catch it..wires or roof or small jumps. Pretty easy once you get used to the controls. Dont be in a hurry to leave Havana. Do all the side stuff you can and climb all the towers and find secrets. I mean you dont have to but I enjoyed it and learned a lot doing that.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, they're pretty easy to get used to them and can be quite fun. Remember their pattern and you should be fine. They're much more fun to do than the parkour races from the first two games. And to anyone who likes Black Flag, I recommend Rogue. Same gameplay formula, but this time from the point of view of a Templar and set in the North Atlantic.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The way I remember dealing with chasing down the shanties is to not worry about succeeding on the first try or two. Just focus on learning the route for the first couple of attempts, the actually try to succeed after that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And they are worth it or you'll either have to turn shanties off or get used to only a couple over and over. I liked hearing them myself.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, they're not required, but they are fun to have as you'll be spending large amounts of time on your ship, and they give you more variety in what your crew will sing. More variety means less repetition.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I should give up on online competitive games. All they do is aggravate me. Yet I cant find a thing to play solo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes you should.

Next time it's on sale, get a copy of Prey. You've been around long enough that I'm pretty confident in saying I believe it's what you're looking for.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:43 am I am in my third month of not playing any games. Previously I had gamed nearly every night since 1986, so that's a big deal.

This wasn't intentional; I just lost the urge and haven't got it back, even though I have 3-4 games that I bought and never even installed. Amnesia was drawing me back in until I hit that horrible underwater jumping-puzzle level. I finally beat it -- after 3 tries -- with a walkthru, but after that I was like "NOPE nope nope nope".

Although, come to think of it, finishing Amnesia might be just the Halloween thing to do...hmm. Will I? Should I?

I probably should, and I probably won't, knowing me.
I'm behind, but didn't you just upgrade?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:08 pm So, Assassin's Creed Black Flag... or Fallout 4? I have a couple other AC games but I didn't quite like the storyline.
MAybe play a differenty genre, as both of those options are open world and similar to Far Cry 3 in terms of quests and side quests. You seemed to indicate playing farcry 3 was a chore, and if that's true, you're probably burnt out. Change the pace, then go back.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:45 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:43 am I am in my third month of not playing any games. Previously I had gamed nearly every night since 1986, so that's a big deal.

This wasn't intentional; I just lost the urge and haven't got it back, even though I have 3-4 games that I bought and never even installed. Amnesia was drawing me back in until I hit that horrible underwater jumping-puzzle level. I finally beat it -- after 3 tries -- with a walkthru, but after that I was like "NOPE nope nope nope".

Although, come to think of it, finishing Amnesia might be just the Halloween thing to do...hmm. Will I? Should I?

I probably should, and I probably won't, knowing me.
I'm behind, but didn't you just upgrade?
Yup, so that I could finally play Fallout 4. Which I did. None of my old games drew me back in after that, so I bought some new ones. None of those did the trick, either. One of these days, I expect that the mood will come over me again. Been a long time, though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wouldn't it be nice if games like Skyrim came with automatic save game mod downloads? The SE version has character slots and saves each character you play. But even after spending a week on modding the game up it wont save my mod info and redownload the latest versions when I want to play a character that had all those mods installed. Might be a feature worth them adding someday.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mod Organizer can do that, at least in a way. You can set up profiles, each with their own set of mods, ini files, and saves. You can then switch between the profiles.

Bethesda won't do that. They put minimal effort into mods beyond releasing their tools to keep sales going.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:22 pm Wouldn't it be nice if games like Skyrim came with automatic save game mod downloads? The SE version has character slots and saves each character you play. But even after spending a week on modding the game up it wont save my mod info and redownload the latest versions when I want to play a character that had all those mods installed. Might be a feature worth them adding someday.
As far as I know, the console versions have that built-in as part of their modding system. At least from my experience in playing Fallout 4 on PS4. But yes, that being the case, you'd wonder why they wouldn't also have something similar on PC. I had to use a mod to get past a bug that wouldn't let me proceed, and then I ended up using a weightless objects mod since you tend to accumulate so much stuff in Fallout 4 due to the building system.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to play NFS:Payback. Finished Chapter 2 and finished highway heist. Moving back to the city and ready with the drag racing and such. Already found two derelicts (the chasis and four parts, respectively). But upgrading them will be a different matter. Will try drag races next?

Also played WRC5, just won the J-WRC championship, moving onto WRC-2.