Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Daehawk »

I think my wife's 2nd or 3rd gen ipod touch battery died less than 2 years after I bought it new. Apple sucks and so do their batteries.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I also have an iPod Touch from 2011 that still works, but because it won't run the latest iOS I got a new one in 2016.

I have a green thumb regarding technology. My Palm TX still works, but it's more of a conversation piece now.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Had a bit of nostalgia, decided to play Sniper Elite V2 Remastered (it's basically a 4K and otherwise upgraded version of V2, which is a remake of the original Sniper Elite) and Redeemer, which enjoyed a bit of upgrade, it seemed. I don't recall seeing "perks" and whatnot last time I played.

It seems they smoothed out the difficulty a little, which is good. By about Chapter 8, you're facing enemy mutants that slices and dices you if you get close. So the trick is dodge and roll when he attacks, then roll back in into an attack. I'm stuck where I got into an area with like 4-5 of these minibosses. Yikes.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord has a release date! For early access on Steam...

March 2020
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:49 pm Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord has a release date! For early access on Steam...

March 2020
As long as I can promise myself that this time I'll get good at melee and yet still end up an archer on horseback, I'm in.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Using the lance was the way to go. If you were able to get good with it. That was a guaranteed one-shot kill when it connected.

I never got very far in the first one. Definitely never "beat" it. But I may take this one for a spin. The graphics are certainly coming along.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TheMix wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:31 am Using the lance was the way to go. If you were able to get good with it. That was a guaranteed one-shot kill when it connected.

I never got very far in the first one. Definitely never "beat" it. But I may take this one for a spin. The graphics are certainly coming along.
Oh, I know. I got good enough with the lance to plow through enemies like hot butter, but nothing beat ranged head shots. I probably sank a hundred hours into Warband. I loved having a number of Companions and a fistful of the best soldiers in each class, like Viking melee.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:49 pm Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord has a release date! For early access on Steam...

March 2020
LOL at top comment:

My grandfather's grandfather spoke of this game. Trailers and screenshots have been passed down in my family for generations. It looks like the prophecies were true and I'll be the chosen one in my family that gets to play this game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Remember the destructibility of the Red faction games? Check this out. the narrator gets a bit excited at times btw. Imagine a game using this like Siege or Battlefield or TF2.

Zarathud

PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Zarathud »

The destructibility of Red Faction was tech originally developed for a new version of Descent but repurposed.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:34 am Remember the destructibility of the Red faction games? Check this out. the narrator gets a bit excited at times btw. Imagine a game using this like Siege or Battlefield or TF2.
it's actually not that impressive when you actually play it. Only *some" terrain can be destroyed like that, at least that's in my experience, playing a couple of them.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:02 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:34 am Remember the destructibility of the Red faction games? Check this out. the narrator gets a bit excited at times btw. Imagine a game using this like Siege or Battlefield or TF2.
it's actually not that impressive when you actually play it. Only *some" terrain can be destroyed like that, at least that's in my experience, playing a couple of them.
I dont think you played Red Faction: Guerrilla.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:12 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:02 pm
I dont think you played Red Faction: Guerrilla.
Because in Guerrilla, almost no terrain was destructible. Only buildings and ore. You couldn't just tunnel through a mountain or blow a trench across a road to stop pursuers.

The original promise of Red Faction's terrain was that you could solve problems by simply burrowing under a wall, or blowing up the ground under enemy cover to expose them. That never happened. At the time, it was just more than was practical given the technical limitations. Instead, you got pre-designed destructible areas. Nobody since the original has really tried to do something like that that I can recall.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Because in Guerrilla, almost no terrain was destructible. Only buildings and ore.
Exactly. Just like the video I posted.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing WRC5. I thought I was pretty good in WRC4, but the driving model takes a bit of getting used to. I set difficulty to "Pro" (which is just below the max difficulty "simulation") and I actually won the first rally (Monte Carlo) in J-WRC, the beginning league. I know I still overcooked the corners and didn't do hairpin turns that well. But hey, I won... (and never dipped below 4th over multiple stages)

We'll see about the other rallies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never much cared for racing games but these days they are impossible for me. I just dont see the turns coming up in most of them so Im always slamming into the turns.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:29 am Never much cared for racing games but these days they are impossible for me. I just dont see the turns coming up in most of them so Im always slamming into the turns.
I love playing Forza on my XBone, but I'm terrible at it because I can't drive with my thumbs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Between Gold and purchases, I believe I have 5-7 and Horizon 2.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Man, I unintentionally make such horrible decisions in story-driven games. I always try to play as the "goody two shoes" and make the best good choices, but it never turns out the way I expect or hope it will. I always end up with everyone dying, or whatever the depressing equivalent to that in a specific game would be.

Two, in particular, stand out.

- When I played Witcher 3, I somehow got the worst ending possible. Everyone dies, and Geralt ends up alone, swarmed by monsters (this one).
It's an ending multiple people have said "yeah, I'd be really pissed if that's how my game ended".

- Finished Detroit: Become Human last night (an absolutely fantastic high tech choose-your-own-adventure/interactive movie), and got the ending where literally everyone dies. Every main character, every side characters...everyone's dead. It was such a depressing ending for such a great game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 am - When I played Witcher 3, I somehow got the worst ending possible. Everyone dies, and Geralt ends up alone, swarmed by monsters (this one).
It's an ending multiple people have said "yeah, I'd be really pissed if that's how my game ended".
Yeah, I would have been pretty unhappy about that.

I didn't make all the best choices, but at least I had a snowball fight with her!
Conform or be cast out!
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I just wanted to say that I'm glad there's going to be a new Startopia.
I have but one advocate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

JetFred wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:52 pm I just wanted to say that I'm glad there's going to be a new Startopia.
That's a Good Thing :D. I had the original PC release and also have it on Steam.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting video: The History of The Saboteur, a 2009 game. The Saboteur was an interesting game, set in WWII Paris which had some promise but some issues. I played it on release and was generally impressed.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that was a great game, and they had plans for a sequel that never materialized. It was a very atmospheric game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

F EA. Ruined every company I once loved including Bioware.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:08 am Yeah, that was a great game, and they had plans for a sequel that never materialized. It was a very atmospheric game.
Same here, enjoyed it as well.
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing "Deep Sky Derelicts", kinda rogue like dungeon crawler where you're scavengers out to explore derelict ships you find, but lots of dangerous stuff within, from evil aliens, to fanatics, to pirates, but also friendly explorers and whatnot.

I have the 3 starting guys (but I did change them a bit), and I'm not sure what's up with the setup, but I can't keep the bruiser "alive". In ANY fight, the bruiser (tank) is the first to go down. So much so, the bruiser is about 2000 xp behind the other two characters. I've tried giving bruiser better shields and whatnot, but so far, it hadn't worked. part of the problem could be I don't have a medic.

Any way, you can choose from 3 members from like 6-8 classes? I have a bruiser (heavy melee), a scavenger (kinda mixed gun/melee), and a technician (summons turrets and bots, and uses guns). I think there's also medic, leader (uses a force blade), and a couple other classes.

Combat is card-based. Your character and equipment determines your "stack", and in combat, you basically choose which card to play (which may actually let you draw more cards or whatnot). You explore the place finding junk and upgrades that you can sell back at the station for credits, which you can then use to heal and upgrade equipment, so you go out and do it some more.

The problem here is the exploration aspect is kinda lame. You're basically exploring a grid, with some randomly generated loot and enemies. Enemies however, *can* move, but you can sorta avoid them by using your 'scanner', but you have limited energy stockpile and scanning/moving consumes them (as does combat). So you don't want to run out. The combat is a good comic-book-style art, but the actual exploration looks boring as f***.

I'm at level 4, and the combat is starting to drag a bit. Guns don't seem to do that much more damage, and enemies are starting look a bit alarming. My guys are like, 25-40 life and maybe 30-45 shield. When most enemies are like 20-45 it's no big deal. When you suddenly see enemies with like 160 life (no shield) or 70/70 (and has "shield drain" where he can take your shield and add it to his) things get a bit messy, esp. when they also have the weaker enemies as minions.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Twitch is slowly becoming the battle of the thots. One after another vying for your attention with less clothing, more poses, and dumber and dumber content. Sit in shorts with my legs up to chat, have a camera above me on my cleavage thats supposed to be for the artwork, lets do stretching!...UGH. Why the hell Twitch wont follow their own rules and ban these whores I dont know. Guess its bringing in views. Assholes.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Are you required to watch them or something?

Seems like it would be pretty easy to just switch to a different channel.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If a woman enjoys doing what she's doing, and people enjoy paying her to do it, and there are no victims, more power to her. And if people don't like it, they can look at something else.

Words like 'whores' and 'assholes' have no place in said discussion.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:33 pm Twitch is slowly becoming the battle of the thots. One after another vying for your attention with less clothing, more poses, and dumber and dumber content. Sit in shorts with my legs up to chat, have a camera above me on my cleavage thats supposed to be for the artwork, lets do stretching!...UGH. Why the hell Twitch wont follow their own rules and ban these whores I dont know. Guess its bringing in views. Assholes.

What does this have to do with PC Gaming Randomness?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its where I watch PC games being played. My preview thumbnails have a bunch of thots filling it. Theres no way to delete that crap it seems.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then ignore it. Or judge them, your call. At least they're not Filipino, right?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fuck Twitch and the internet. Seems others have the same problem and cant fix it unless you edit cookies and such.

And what about Filipino? If its my post about Jeff's posts do you even read my post. I knew you gents would seize on part of my post as usual and bitch so I intentionally added I KNOW IT ISN'T TRUE right there at the start. Wow idiocy. Smartassedness.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying to play WH40K Mechanicus. I'm not sure I like this game so far. It feels mechanically and visually to Frozen Synapse (I know FS is a "we-go", not turn-based) and I'm not digging it so far.

Trying to play Rocketbirds 2 Evolution and it's kinda fun, even though it's sometimes a bit frustrating with its way too many secret areas. But it's a platformer. I know.

Trying to play Tales from Candlekeep, interesting variation on D&D, with the new tiles generated as you go, but it also makes you feel as if you're just a cog in the machine, instead of actually making a difference in the gameworld.

Since Witcher 3 is on sale, finally bought it. But it's taking a while to download.

Playing WRC5. Just won 2nd Rally (Rally Portugal) in J-WRC. Next stop: Rally Poland. I double checked... Braking and Stability help are OFF, Damage is on HIGH, auto transmission, and difficulty medium. And I am just barely beating my competition (by 1 second or less), so I think I got the setting just right.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:04 am Trying to play Tales from Candlekeep, interesting variation on D&D, with the new tiles generated as you go, but it also makes you feel as if you're just a cog in the machine, instead of actually making a difference in the gameworld.
It's pretty much just a direct port of the board game series (Castle Ravenloft, Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:02 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:04 am Trying to play Tales from Candlekeep, interesting variation on D&D, with the new tiles generated as you go, but it also makes you feel as if you're just a cog in the machine, instead of actually making a difference in the gameworld.
It's pretty much just a direct port of the board game series (Castle Ravenloft, Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.)
I really enjoyed it. Nothing revolutionary, but it was one of the few games I’ve finished this year
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

While looking for the old PC Gamer covers online I stumbled upon their cover disc repository. You can view the art and download the software that was on them each here, It only seems to cover the CD ROM ones though and not the 3.5" disks :(

https://archive.org/details/pcgamer-cdroms

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One of the main reasons I bought that magazine was for the cds. I wasn't connected to the internet an when I finally did it was dial up.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Took me two nights to finish the first Pathfinder Adventures mission, probably about 8 attempts all told. Only three of those were close enough to warrant calling anything near to success.

Found the big bad on round 2, but since that was all checks against traps, which I am now ill prepared for, I failed that one miserably as well.
It's almost as if people are the problem.