Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Paingod »

JetFred wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:52 pm I just wanted to say that I'm glad there's going to be a new Startopia.
One of the best old games... and the new version looks incredibly faithful to the old one. That's awesome! I've owned the original three times. One disc was lent out and never returned, so I got it again - and the I picked it up on GOG so I wouldn't have to dig out the disc again to reinstall it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've gotten a little carried away playing Skyrim SE lately. Put over 200 hours into in the last 3-4 weeks.
I dream about it now and it gives me headaches.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting article, Why Ubisoft isn't abandoning its open worlds

Opening excerpt;
You need only look at Assassin's Creed to see how Ubisoft's ambitions for open world games are growing.

Five years ago, the publisher's major Q4 release was Assassin's Creed Unity, a title that, while open, is confined to one city and (if you focused purely on the main missions) can be polished off in around 15 hours.

Meanwhile, last year's Assassin's Creed Odyssey takes place across the entirety of Ancient Greece, plus all those nearby islands, and the average playtime for its users is 60 hours.

This year, Ubisoft's tentpole title for Q4 is Ghost Recon Breakpoint -- following the success of Wildlands, the series' first open-world entry -- with two vast adventures to follow in early 2020 with Gods & Monsters and Watch Dogs Legion. Ubisoft is now synonymous with open worlds, yet is there any chance it would ever return to more focused outings like Assassin's Creed Unity?

"No," CEO Yves Guillemot tells GamesIndustry.biz. "Our goal is to make sure you can have a Unity within an Odyssey. If you want to have a story of 15 hours, you can have it, but you can also have other stories. You live in that world and you pursue what you want to pursue. You have an experience, many Unity-like experiences."
Trying to put aside any prejudices, I just have to look at what I've played the most in the past year and the answer is Ubisoft and other open world games. I guess that means I must like them :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just started up a game of Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.
I'm afraid it a little too dated for me now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was a good game (a great game with mods), and it had a big impact on game design, but everything it did has since been done better. It really hasn't aged well (although Morrowind has.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Really, I'd have thought the opposite given how much older Morrowind is. Morrowind is pretty clunky in modern standards.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got Morrowind new and tried it. Didn't like it. Months later or a year I tried again. Nope. 3rd time I loaded some mods and loved it a ton! I finished it and every expansion.

When Oblivion came out I was so excited. Tried it and didn't like it. Months later tried again with mods and it didn't grab me tightly. Tried again a few years ago and really didn't care for it at all. Think I got to the first town and erased it. Maybe one day.

Skyrim me and my wife were in Gamestop on 11/11/11 to get it. I loved it. Got more than half way and something else grabbed me. Months later I loaded up 60 mods and got half way or so and quit again for something else. Next go I didn't get as far but kept on the hard drive for well over a year until a virus caused a full wipe and reinstall of the OS. Next go I had 100 mods in and still loved it but I walked away again. I will return one day maybe. Maybe not. I do love it though. Best yet. I have 50% fun just modding it I think.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We have stickied threads for Steam, Origin, Battle.net, and Switch. There's also Uplay, Epic, Xbox, Playstation, Bethesda.

I wonder if there is a good way to consolidate everybody's listings into a single place without having to manually go through all of the existing threads to do so? Like:

Blackhawk:
Steam ID
Origin ID
Battle.net ID
Uplay ID
Epic ID

Next Person:
Steam ID
Origin ID
Battle.net ID
Uplay ID
Epic ID
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:27 am Really, I'd have thought the opposite given how much older Morrowind is. Morrowind is pretty clunky in modern standards.
In regards to combat mechanics and interface, that's true. The problem is that Oblivion didn't have a single thing that stood out about it. Mediocre open world, mediocre quests, mediocre combat, mediocre setting, mediocre story, mediocre landscape, mediocre locations. There isn't really anything that's really worth going back for. There's just nothing there. And I say this as someone who probably put 500+ hours into the game, published several mods for it, and really pushed it at the time.

Morrowind was mechanically inferior, but it had a good story and a real sense of place that none of the other Elder Scrolls games has matched. That gives it, at least from my perspective, something worth playing it for.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, I'll take you word for it with the story. As it turns out, the UI confused the heck out of me to the point that I never touched the main story as I wasn't fully understanding what needed doing or where I needed to go, and back then I don't think there was a very good map or compass. I ignored it and just went around doing random quests which sent me around all over the place. It was only much later that I realized I had never went further in the main quest line.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My youngest bought me an SNES Mini for my birthday. My wife tried to get him to let her pay for it, but he was adamant that he pay for it out of his own money. I owe that boy a lot of multiplayer sessions and hugs.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Open-World games, when done properly, allow for a stronger community and prolonged revenue stream, as it also gives developers more tools to create missions and races and basically, randomly generated missions for almost infinite replayability, and ability to sell more DLCs / season packs. More community events to keep people playing.

But when it's NOT done properly, the DLCs would feel like pay-to-win, new skin packs instead of actually new content, and the players rebel. But they would probably keep playing.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I'm playing a first person game and I come to a corner and I'm sneaking around I find myself turning my head and leaning a little bit as I try to see what's coming up.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 am When I'm playing a first person game and I come to a corner and I'm sneaking around I find myself turning my head and leaning a little bit as I try to see what's coming up.

Me too! :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

yup
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Of course! :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:28 am We have stickied threads for Steam, Origin, Battle.net, and Switch. There's also Uplay, Epic, Xbox, Playstation, Bethesda.

I wonder if there is a good way to consolidate everybody's listings into a single place without having to manually go through all of the existing threads to do so? Like:
don't forget GOG GALAXY
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last night I decided I wanted to see when I got The Witcher 3 and where. I started keeping receipts around 2008. Before that its just memory. But TW3 had no receipt in it. I realized I bought it online some place. But where Im not sure. Im fairly sure I got it at GoG. I pre ordered it. But the thing is I have it in box. I still think GOG is the place though. In fact as I write this I looked in email for a sec and yes I pre ordered from GOG.

BUT....I also have a steelbook case from some place. I dont recall GOG selling these and its not mentioned in my email. I cant find an email about it. I dont see it ordered from Amazon. Walmart only goes to 2016 or so and this was all 2015 I think. Where the heck did I get a steelbook TW3 case?? Argh.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

With all the cool kids playing Borderlands 3 now, I figured maybe it was time to fire up the other ones. I'm apparently at the end of the Pre-Sequel, but need to grind up to fight the last boss. I didn't remember getting that far and I'm not sure I'll finish. There's just something...off about this one. On the other hand, I fired up the GOTY edition of the original and have found it to be just as magical as the first time I went through back in 2009...well, after they addressed the PC user-interface issues, at least. I liked Borderlands 2, but there's just something...fun about the first one, particularly the beginning. I'm going to keep playing, maybe even finish. I beat the original game with the Solider so I'm giving the Berserker a try now. I seem to vaguely remember playing both the Siren and Hunter at some point and not getting very far. Brick seems like a solid solo choice. Either way, it looks fantastic (much better than the last time I remember trying to replay it) and the game play is still solid.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Brick is a blast. You should try out a rocket launcher build. I've got a Brick running around with 4 rocket launchers. :lol:

Give a shout if you want any assistance. I recently finished the pre-sequel on a second character. So I should have someone fairly close in level. I will say it's worth finishing the pre-sequel simply to get the final part of the story of Jack becoming Jack.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 pm I've gotten a little carried away playing Skyrim SE lately. Put over 200 hours into in the last 3-4 weeks.
I dream about it now and it gives me headaches.
Me too! I played a destruction mage that refused to touch a bow. Had a great time. Finished the main quest (for only the 2nd time I think) at level 40 and felt like there was nothing else for her to achieve.
So, I fired up a one-handed with bow Breton. Up to level 20 and have only been to Solitude and Windhelm. Wanted to do my own smithing, but I'm getting tired of having to go NE of Solitude to the sunken ship cave to find a smelter. Yarg. Just took the stage to Whiterun for the first time. Decided to go check out the Companions, which I usually ignore. (Too many rumors about werewolves running around!) I haven't been to Helgen yet to start the Dragonborn line.

For both of these playthroughs, I used Start a New Life (and an upgraded version) mod. I started the mage as a merchant SW of Falkreath. She decided the best way to earn money was to read through the spellbooks that were in her bag of stuff to sell. She liked being able to defend herself, so became a money-grubbing killer mage! I began the new journey with the Breton as a mercenary NW of Solitude.

Starting this way gives a newer feel to Skyrim. I've easily put in more than 1000 hours over the years with Skyrim. Looking for different ways of playing than going to Whiterun, buying a house there, and returning every day or two to stash or craft.

Many of the quests near Falkreath, Solitude, and Windhelm I'd not seen before, or had done them so long ago I didn't remember how to complete them.

Fun times!!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its that time again....time for the I know I own it but cant find it game. Sigh. This time its Jedi Academy. I know I own it. I know Ive finished it. I remember thinking it was not as good as JK2. But I cant find it. I remember the blue cover box. Thats why I thought I owned it in box. Maybe it was digital I think to myself and go looking through all the online services. Still cant find it. So now I have no idea.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Between the original Skyrim and the SE edition I have over a thousand hours of play time and I just realized yesterday how they figure experience points. Kinda disappointing really.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I did another Skyrim run this summer. It is amazing how different my mod load order was from the one that I detailed a year or so ago. No major changes (Vokrii instead of Ordinator is fairly big but not huge) but so many minor ones due to using SKSE this time + a year's worth of new mods.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone play the Jack clone in Borderlands Pre Sequel? Im thinking he might have some funny dialog and his minime's will work as turrets. I reloaded the game but cant decide on a character to play. I have 3 from old attempts...tried all but the girl with the shield it seems Athena..I have a Fragtrap, Nisha, and Whelheim.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't see a 'video games randomness' so figure this is the only place.....

Garry Kitchen and the story of Donkey Kong for Atari 2600

This is an excerpt fro ma book and doesn't tell the entire story. In fact it ends on a sudden note. But still a good read.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:25 am I didn't see a 'video games randomness' so figure this is the only place.....
I think this thread can just be considered "Video Game Randomness." It was created when PC Games were their own separate forum (and there was a 'Console Randomness' thread as well.)

Perhaps Ser coopasonic the Uncapitalized would be willing to adjust it...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:33 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:25 am I didn't see a 'video games randomness' so figure this is the only place.....
I think this thread can just be considered "Video Game Randomness." It was created when PC Games were their own separate forum (and there was a 'Console Randomness' thread as well.)

Perhaps Ser coopasonic the Uncapitalized would be willing to adjust it...
Yeah, I've thought about starting a "console randomness" thread, but figured it would be easier to just throw all assorted randomness in here.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
jztemple2

Re: Video Games Randomness

Post by jztemple2 »

Now that this thread is "Video Games Randomness" I can post this which I just saw on Amazon:
The Oregon Trail Handheld Game
by Basic Fun
4.3 out of 5 stars 188 ratings
RETRO PLAY - Authentic 80's graphics, sounds and game play just like you remember!
TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL - Based on the iconic computer game.
SHARE - Perfect for fans or collectors looking to share this classic with the new generation!
INCLUDES 3 AA batteries for immediate play! Age: 8+
Included: 3 AA batteries; ages: 8+.Care & Cleaning: Spot or wipe clean
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm Care & Cleaning: Spot or wipe clean
Out. I want a handheld that's dishwasher safe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm Now that this thread is "Video Games Randomness" I can post this which I just saw on Amazon:
The Oregon Trail Handheld Game
I can do you one better:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

got one of those for my brother for his birthday last year
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Surprisingly, spent most of the weekend with Borderlands (the first one). Been playing through it with my best friend (who never played it). gilraen has joined us for the last couple of sessions. She and I had a couple of characters going through it as well (she had also never played it). Unfortunately, when she joined us, my poor melee Brick got left out in the cold. So I went ahead and solo finished up the DLC we were running. Really liking the melee build.

Then, because apparently I can't get enough, I went back and picked up my rocket launcher Brick. I'm amazed at how much fun that build is. One thing that BL2 didn't do, at least as far as I'm aware, is allow a viable rocket launcher only build. My Brick is rocking enough ammo regen that I never run out. Additionally, with his bonuses, my scoped launchers are basically sniper rifles that deliver HUGE payloads. :D

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you like BADDDddddd games and games that rip off everything they can you'll love this video review of one of those games. Also Blackhawk is 5 min in. The video is 42 minutes. I made it 14.

JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Thanks, I watched the whole thing. The current eBay listings range from $350 to $1500.
I have but one advocate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

w.t.f
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got an email that said...

"Stadia is coming, are you ready? $129"

Hahaha..oh man.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I give up. I cant find Jedi Academy. Ive even started to wonder in just what form I own it . Other than digital and the box Im wondering now if I just have the jewel case of it. Ive looked and looked and I quit. Its beginning to drive me crazier so I give.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been in a bit of a funk the past few days. I'm playing Borderlands 3 but it's beginning to feel like a grind. Well, I think, I've got hundreds of games in my Steam library... but I just can't seem to focus on any particular one. So I fired up https://steamdb.info/calculator/ which I have linked to my Steam account and displays all my Steam games. I sorted by time played, but inverted so the least played was at the top of the list.

This is interesting. A lot of the games that are listed as having no time played are add-ons to old games I have that don't record time to the add-on but to the base game. There are also some demos which I downloaded but didn't play. There are some freebies from Green Man Gaming which I unlocked in Steam but didn't even feel were worth installing.

So on the games which I've played for one minute. There are seventeen of them I installed, started and quit before I reached two minutes playing time. There are another dozen or so I played less than ten minutes. Am I fickle? And so on up through a couple of hours play time.

Now to be fair to myself there are also games I played a lot on Xbox and Xbox360 and I picked up on Steam for whatever reason. Also there are a number which I got outside of Steam and played (like from Matrix Games) that gave me a Steam key. So it's not all fickleness.

Now we're at the ones played over two hours, so past the point of getting a refund. And surprisingly, most are games I played on console. Why am I buying them again? Oh, and now I'm reaching the Zachtronic games, which I would buy in full faith that I would play the heck out of them, but only with Infinifactory did I go into double digits.

Now I'm finally up to the ten hour mark and starting to come across games I played either to completion or games that I felt I got out of them everything I felt I could get like Sir, You Are Being Hunted and This Is the Police. And by the twenty hour mark the majority of games are completed ones. And so on, up to 190 hours on Surviving Mars.

I still haven't found anything I want to play :(
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Play the new Steam Beta Library page game, which now comes with an Unplayed filter.
It's almost as if people are the problem.