Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

Post by Daehawk »

Well due to a weird bug I can confirm the Jackdaw is a full ship. I thought maybe they cut corners by making whatever is below the water line either not there or not made well...turns out its a full detailed ship. I know this because when I go to my pirate island home my ship is not there when I first load the area but after a few seconds it drops down from the sky into the water. Wish id got a pic of that. Not sure how high it comes from but I've seen the whole bottom on this ship as she sat down to the water. Really a freaky bug in a way.

I now own 2 forts...and it is so much fun to simply sit on the wall of a fort and watch it sink the enemies ships as they come within range. I then just go out and pick up all the floating cargo :) Had no idea it would do that until I heard the guns firing and went to look. fun detailed stuff.

I just cant seem to make any money...Im stuck at right under 6000. I cant seem to get more..I have 2 forts and about 8 ships in my fleet out doing cargo runs. I must say the fleet management really lacks ease of use. Im still not sure what Im doing in that screen. I just click a lot and pick a ship and that seems that. No wonder I cant make any cash. I still need to upgrade my island..never mind me and my ship. A bonfire is 8000 for a bloody bonfire for drunken pirates to dance a jig around! Dont even get me started on a 15,000 dabloom whore house..argh.

How can I make money...Ive taken ships Ive sunk ships and Ive outright ran them over. I sell the loot. What am I missing?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The fleet management sidegame can get really profitable really fast. A few days ago I was making at least 10,000 a day off of it, and now I think it's more like 20,000 a day.

Make sure you're sending your fleet to missions you've never seen before, signified with an exclamation point. This lets you unlock more and more routes, and more profitable routes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do they return so I have to send them out again or do they stay trading once out? Do I need to send more ships to my fleet?..Bigger ones? I have frigates and schooners. About 8,.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

When you send a ship on a mission, you'll see an estimate of how long the mission will take. The speed of the ship can bring that down. Frigates seem to be lasting me a good while, but schooners don't have enough cargo capacity to run most of the better missions I've unlocked. I enjoy taking out ships in-game, so even after using some captured ships for repairs or for bringing down my wanted level, I can usually also send a handful to the fleet.

Another thing that I don't think is explained very well is how the trading cargo works in the fleet sidegame. You gain coffee, wine, and other goods from doing the battles in the side-game, and then you deliver those goods when you run your missions. If you have some inaccessible missions because you lack some goods, do some more fleet battles.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You are only sending them to do the route once, you aren't setting up any recurring income.

As you go you need bigger ships that can handle more cargo because the jobs require it. Eventually you will need the big dogs and I think there is at least 1 job that requires one of the level 60 man of wars with 90 cargo.

Also reducing the risk on routes (fighting) gives you the cargo you need to do more routes (and diamonds for repairs, but eventually you just get diamonds from captured ships because you hardly have any other ues for them).

I probably have 200k and have bought about everything you can buy, and I never did any route more than once. Most of it is from pirating. I go after man of wars or other ships with lots of the sellable stuff (rum and whatever the other is, I forget... because I don't have a use for money now).

Play through more of the game to unlock more upgrades to make your ship stronger to take out the bigger ships. Stronger ships with more loot are to the south.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Right now I have 5 frigates burning around me. I use double mortars :)

To be clear...is it 'repair Jackdaw' option that gets all their cargo? I wish it simply had a plunder ship option.

Should I be sending ships to fleet when I dont need repairs or cargo or crew? I think I get a few replacement crew from 'repair Jackdaw' That way I just scuttle them for diamonds? I do need more dock space it says.

Im also out of pistol ammo after 8 frigates haha...too bad there is no way to replace that at sea.

One last thing...how do I see how much cargo space I have left while Im out plundering ships?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote:To be clear...is it 'repair Jackdaw' option that gets all their cargo? I wish it simply had a plunder ship option.
It doesn't matter what you choose, as long as you board and win you get all the cargo.
Daehawk wrote:Should I be sending ships to fleet when I dont need repairs or cargo or crew? I think I get a few replacement crew from 'repair Jackdaw' That way I just scuttle them for diamonds? I do need more dock space it says.
More diamonds = more docks = more concurrent jobs = more money
Daehawk wrote:One last thing...how do I see how much cargo space I have left while Im out plundering ships?
Never ran out so I never worried about it (I capped out on the building materials, but I don't care about that). You can sell cargo while at sea so just do that once in a while.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

coopasonic wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Should I be sending ships to fleet when I dont need repairs or cargo or crew? I think I get a few replacement crew from 'repair Jackdaw' That way I just scuttle them for diamonds? I do need more dock space it says.
More diamonds = more docks = more concurrent jobs = more money
Plus, the crew member you promote to captain when you do that is just so damn happy when you put that hat on him, and who doesn't want to spread that kind of joy throughout the West Indies?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Him and all his clone brothers are very happy when they get their hat. They're probably less happy when you turn around and immediately scuttle the ship you just gave them. It's too bad they didn't cycle between all the random crew models they have when playing that cutscene.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Chaz wrote:Him and all his clone brothers are very happy when they get their hat. They're probably less happy when you turn around and immediately scuttle the ship you just gave them. It's too bad they didn't cycle between all the random crew models they have when playing that cutscene.
Here's your ship! Now go run these coffee beans to Portugal for me. You only have a 72% chance of making it through alive, but, you know, it'll take me all of 3 minutes to replace you, so...
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Definitely do the ship battles to make the routes safer. Pay attention to the combat bonuses in each ship slot (speed for the first/top ship, damage for the second/middle ship, and damage reduction for the last one).

Definitely try to run all of the missions at least once to open up the additional routes and to claim all of the items. Some of the prizes are art and others are ship appearance upgrades.

Definitely add docks as quickly as you can and get some sort of ship in them, running missions for you. You can always swap ships out for better ones as you capture them. Also, if all of your docks are full, you can still send captures to the fleet. You will have an option to scuttle a fleet ship to make space if you don't have a dock for it.

Even when I don't actually play AC4, most days I use the tablet app. I usually run through all of the routes and do all of the combats to make them safe (green) before I send my fleet out on cargo missions. I guess I could just focus on the routes I was using, but it doesn't take long and it keeps my diamonds topped of at 9999. I also speed up the missions of anybody else I'm linked to via UPLAY. Post your UPLAY ID in that thread if you want others to speed up your missions.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chaz wrote:Him and all his clone brothers are very happy when they get their hat. They're probably less happy when you turn around and immediately scuttle the ship you just gave them. It's too bad they didn't cycle between all the random crew models they have when playing that cutscene.
Actually I thought this till last night when random black guy #1 became captain. I thought, wait where did the clones guy go?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished the story yesterday and picked up the last of the collectibles. 94% complete. To get 100% I need 100% synch on every mission and the other 3 legendary ships. Those legendary ships have earned their titles. I guess 94% completion is good enough.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had a new adventure yesterday that was something out of the blue to me. And I think i got lucky on it.

I decided to go to a port I had not ever been to and set aail for it. As Im getting close I start scanning for nearby ships to acquire for my fleet. I then see a largish looking ship with it's sails furled and at anchor beside a small sand island. I decided to give it a go and let loose with my double mortars. I sometimes come across ships at anchor and can take them before they get a chance to get under way and turn me into their broadsides.

This was no different..except when I pulled up along side her to board her its then I notice that I cant see down onto her deck to use my swivel guns...its actually ABOVE me..I cant see it it is such a large ship. Uh oh what have I cabled myself onto?? This is the biggest ship Ive ever attacked. Its also around that time I see that I have to take out about 30 sailors. Thats more than ever for me. I'm usually no more than 15 at the most. I also need some officers or snipers and the flag. This is a BIG fight. People all over the deck. I start climbing to the flag and get vertigo almost Im going so high. When I get to the top I finally see what appears to be a royal flag or something. Ive never seen a flag like this one before. It appeared to have a crown or some such on it. Im guessing I got lucky with some type of royal navy ship.! This sucker is big.

I've added it to my fleet but not looked at it yet. I have no idea what it really is yet. But it sure was fun and exciting...especially there at the start when I pull along side her and Im looking UP instead of down at her LOL.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok just looked at her and she's a manOwar. Nice!

QUESTION: You know those little mini battles where you clear your shipping/trading lanes?...How do I replace my fire barrels in those? I've been empty forever and see no way to fill them up again.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:Ok just looked at her and she's a manOwar. Nice!

QUESTION: You know those little mini battles where you clear your shipping/trading lanes?...How do I replace my fire barrels in those? I've been empty forever and see no way to fill them up again.
The ship fleet fire barrels can occasionally replenish when you win ship fleet battles, but much more reliably refill when you help friends with their fleet missions by speeding them up or repairing their ships.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm really bad at this game. :(
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just saw the white whale!!!! Im super excited !! I was in the midst of taking down 3 brigs when once I got them on fire I was headed to one and someone in my crew yelled "There it is the white whale!" and as I looked I saw her breach then smash back into the water. But it's would not let me let go of the wheel and fish because it said I was in a fight or a storm or something, ARGH> Beautiful though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I GOT HIM!!! I found his area and went harpooning! I got sunk the first time or two but the last one I got him. I musta had 30 harpoons in him. When I hauled him up they looked like toothpicks all in him and blood all over. felt a little bad but I was so excited. I pointed at the screen to the wife and said THAT is why this game is SO fun :)

I got pics if anyone wants to see. I took a lot of them. Ill spoiler them in case you want to see him yourself in game like I did.

I gotta say it was frak'in awesome!!!!!!
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's a feat that you took him down without maxxed harpooning equipment.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you. Is that the toughest beast to fish for? If so then maybe not knowing that made it easier on me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think the great white might attack your boat more and requires quicker attacks to stop him but he doesn't take as many harpoons to take down.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Ive reinstalled and decided to give it another go. I have a graphics problem though. Since my last play of it I have a new monitor. This one is 2560x1080. And the game has that res setting in it. Trouble is when set to that the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 are large black bars and the game only shows in the middle 1/3 of the screen. It reaches both sides though. But this is so tiny its unplayable. If I set it to the next lower res which i think is 1920x1080 it plays full screen but since that is not the correct aspect for my monitor it looks off or weird some how.

Im going to look online for a fix to this. Also getting the controls bound right is going to take me awhile too. No idea whats causing the video trouble.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok I 'sorta' fixed it. I was able to get rid of the black bars at top and bottom by using FlawlessWidescreen. Now it runs full screen at 2560x1080. Now though the in game character icons are off set. Like when Im supposed to follow a friendly the little green dot that should be above his head and says FOLLOW is about 2 people lengths over to his right . Same with an enemy...the red dot is 2 people lengths over to the right of who Im actually to target.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well now I have a secondary problem related to the first. Ive discovered that its not only people wit hthe off centered icon but buildings and place. Thier markers can be way off. Also if I set a waypoint on the map then it is also way off. I set one to a church and when I got to the mark I was 2 streets over from the church. Now yes that one is easy to see and go to but finding chests in town is proving to be a huge hassle as well as chasing people like couriers and such i need to kill. Their icons can be two streets over in these tight roads and small towns,....and Im not even half done with Havana yet :) I can imagine how much this is goign to bother me through a whole game.

Im sure it has to do with me using Flawless Widescreen so I can play at my native res of 2560x1080 . Otherwise Im stuck at 1920x1080 and having it looked smooshed and the text and maps and such being cut off by the sides of the screen.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This game is trying to piss me off and ruin my gaming night :P the only difference in playing now and the first time was my monitor. So yes my troubles are half to do with having a better monitor. But also the controls are again bothering me in a game. The first time I dont recall having this frustration. But after playing Mad Max so much each little flaw is enormous to me. MM is perfect. In here though the USE button is the same as my COUNTER button. All other games I use right mouse to block..like Max...and middle to use everything and interact. But here Im forced to use one button so I have to block with middle or use right click to interact...neither are intuitive to me at all. So in fights Im constantly being hit and killed because Im failing to counter and block.

Menus give me hell because half the time my mouse wont work right so it wont switch options or it wont click when I tell it to. So Im forced to use a keyboard. I tried a controller but its worse in this type game. I used KB + Mouse the first go so why its giving me fits now I dont know. I rated this as one of my favorite games before...now I wouldn't give it a 4..argh.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote:I tried a controller but its worse in this type game.
This statement tells us that you are quite clearly insane. These games are designed around the controller.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I don't doubt these types of games could be played with a mouse/keyboard setup. I don't believe anyone that indicates "it's better". I just can't get my mind around that. The idea of hunting and pecking around a keyboard to find the right button that has me crouch or open something or climb when all I do is move around on the controller and tap a button or pull a trigger? It boggles the mind.

That being said, it took some adjustment to get used to the controller, but oddly enough that happened by using one for playing these types of games on the console. When they eventually started showing up on PC just plugging that same controller into the PC made more sense than going and trying to learn keyboard/mouse controls.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes same usually ...3rd person games and fighting games are made for a controller. Just some reason AC games dont fit for me.

Also the game barfed on me yet again and the widescreen fix stopped working. SO Im playing at a strange looking 1920x1080 ...at least the icons and menus all work now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it me or does Captain Kidd look and sound like a girl?

And I take back what I said about AC and controllers. As I recall I used a controller for AC2 and AC3. Didn't have one for AC1 and it just does not suit me for Black Flag.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:Is it me or does Captain Kidd look and sound like a girl?
Ummmm....you did say you played this before right?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Daehawk wrote:Is it me or does Captain Kidd look and sound like a girl?
Yes she does..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes...got pretty far I thought....but never that far it seems. Then again I tend to ignore the story to build up my ship and go fishing :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Came out of a fishing mini game to a British ship fighting 2 Spanish ones. Was a raging battle with explosions and cannonballs all over. Then another Spanish one joined then another and another. In the end there were 7 Spanish ships fighting the one British ship. I just sit back and wait on someone to win and I grab the disabled ships :)

Happened that way in a storm earlier too. It took out 3 or 4 ships and I just went around and looted them.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Daehawk wrote:Came out of a fishing mini game to a British ship fighting 2 Spanish ones. Was a raging battle with explosions and cannonballs all over. Then another Spanish one joined then another and another. In the end there were 7 Spanish ships fighting the one British ship. I just sit back and wait on someone to win and I grab the disabled ships :)

Happened that way in a storm earlier too. It took out 3 or 4 ships and I just went around and looted them.
Sound pirate strategy, methinks!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep. The battle was really cool to just watch too. All of a sudden 5 or 6 cannonballs come flying over my own ship to hit the British ship I spun around to look and there was a Spanish Brig zooming past me firing away. So epic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They could do a little bit to make the game a little less tedious. You can buy ship ammo wit ha single click and have it filled. But when you want 10 sleep darts you have to make one at a time until you make 10 of them. And in the fleet stuff if you want to repair your ships you have to repair one at a time instead of having a repair all button.

Other than that Im still having fun and Im further than my first play through even though Ive not upgraded as much and I cant take on as big of ships as I could before. But Im doing the story more this time and clearing islands of all there is. Also met the assassins this time where I didn't before.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fort attacks are either of two things....a normal good battle or they obliterate me quickly. The one I just attacked blew up though. Ive never seen that. I fired only 3 shots at the back right area that was firing on me with mortars. On the third hit it went sky high and I got to do the ground portion. All I can figure is I hit the powder magazine. I didn't know that was a thing in this game. Plan to try it again next fort. Doubt Ill ever get that lucky again.

Im having too much fun with warehouse raids. I love sneaking from bush to bush and taking out all the guards. The tower sharpshooter give me troubles but Im getting better at sleep darting them and then going up there to take them out. I almost flubbed a big raid though. I was only half way in when I was up on a tower nearly dead and I got knocked off. I thought I was dead but I got up some how. I jumped in the bush beside me and when he climbed down to find me I simply put a dagger in his belly.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The raids and fort attacks are some of the reasons I really liked Black Flag. Open world games don't come much better. Keep up the postings, it's fun to read about the game again.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I got into this game heavily last week, logging 37 hours so far. I have no idea why I waited so long to play this, except that I may have thought it was "just a console port" and probably undeserving of my time. I was so very wrong and I love the game so far. According to the menu, I'm only something like 35% through the game and have collected just about everything I can find. I've unlocked every upgrade for my ship except the Elite ones (I don't even have the Diving Bell yet), and my fleet is almost max size.

In short, this is the piracy game I've been wanting for a long time. The naval combat is tactical enough, but still very action-oriented. The hand-to-hand flows well and can be challenging. My mission objectives are varying and interesting, but not "Jeebus, I need to FAQ this again" like so many other games with puzzles. The stealth is a lot of fun and it can be interesting to work out the best pathways. All of the minigames have been great and the variety is nice. Best of all, not a single dancing scenario yet.

Some highlights from my time so far...
  • The Berserk darts are just plain fun and I can't stop using them on snipers and heavies. Few things are as grand as turning someone and watching the ensuing rampage. Sometimes they get cut down, sometimes they kill a few before dying - especially snipers.
  • The Bull Shark was fun, the Hammerhead wasn't much different - but holy damn, the Great White almost made me fall out of my chair the first time ... and the second time ... awesomely intense scene. All of the harpooning games have been well done, but that Great White takes the cake.
  • The first time I was just chasing Animus Shards and suddenly found myself wrestling with an crocodile. I wasn't expecting it and the thing just snuck up on me. I still don't know how I succeeded in wrestling it down. I was also surprised to be set upon by a leopard that must have been stalking me through the underbrush. Little surprises every now and then are great.
  • Being set upon by two Man O' War ships at the same time, along with a host of smaller Frigates and Brigadines, and miraculously surviving by capturing smaller ships to cannibalize them in the middle of combat.
  • "Legendary Ship" ... Pfft. I'll show you Legendary. (20 minutes and 5 deaths later) Yup. I'm just gonna be over here and pretend I never saw you. You've definitely earned the title. Like triple the guns of a Man O' War, more speed than a Schooner, more brutal ramming power than a Brig, and more life than a fleet of ships put together. Legendary doesn't even come close to it.
  • I love that I keep seeing new things in combat. I've done some brutal finishing moves only once or twice. I've had a heavy soldier simply grab my sword out of the air and backhand me just once. It hurt, but I loved it.
  • I snuck on board a Frigate and proceeded to eliminate the entire crew by myself. Then I went back to my ship and circled the island and the crew was still dead! I had the option for a single Swivel shot, which ended the fight. There wasn't even a boarding action - the capture was automatic. I could probably swim out to a Man O' War and clear it off ahead of time. I might try it, just on principle.
  • That brief moment where you perform a Leap of Faith and suddenly find that you were facing the wrong way when you launched yourself off the ledge. You don't have long to regret it.
  • In taking an island fort, just as the fight started a big storm came up and water spouts started circling the island - it made for an interesting time - dodging funnels and mortars while trying to get in position to fire.
  • The absolute best moment so far was another fort capture, where a raging storm came up half way through the fight and I was suddenly set upon by rogue waves and horrific pounding rain and lightning in a darkened sky. I'd be trying to set up a cannon shot and see a massive wave looming at me and need to abandon my shot to brace for impact. Over and over the sea kept sending my ship headlong and rolling. The fight lasted a very long time and I was tossed around like a rag doll and almost failed. In the end I had to abandon using cannons and had to focus on keeping the sea from killing me. Mortars were the order of the day to take the fort.
Some minor gripes...
  • I only have the one ship. I would have liked to be given the choice between different ships. I get it since the ship is worked into numerous dialogs, and I like the upgrades - but I would like to try out different things.
  • Limited ship styles to engage in - just 5 so far. Gunboat, Schooner, Brigadine, Frigate, and Man O' War. One big thing I loved about Pirates of the Burning Seas was the sheer variety of boats to work with - something like 200+ different hulls if you count all the variations on each hull.
  • Sometimes frustratingly "clingy" character... set up a good ambush, strike, run back to hide ... (tries to climb a tall post his shoulder clips) no, get off the post and run you bastard! (shoulder clip the post again) STOP CLIMBING THE POST! They're coming! (runs up the post again) STOP IT! Auuughhhag! (reload)
I'd also like to thank coopasonic for teaching me that the levels of a captured ship are what matter. I was confused as to why some of them had slightly more cargo space than others. I'll be deliberately going after higher level ships now to replace my weaker ones.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.