Path of Exile

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chesspieceface

Path of Exile

Post by Chesspieceface »

pathofexile.com

Open Beta starts Jan 23rd.

This is the D3 killer ARPG that has been in the works from a 3 man team in New Zealand. Its going to be F2P with microtransactuon support. I'm in the closed beta which anyone can join for $10.

I'm writing because I'd like to put a ladder team together for after OB launch. PoE is a highly competitive gaming looking to pick up where D2 left on on ladders and competition. So far I'm having lot of fun with it and so are my friends. I'd just be interested in finding a dedicated group to practice with and perhaps do some contests, either races or ladders.

If you think you might be into it, the Closed Beta is a great way to try out builds before launch. I'd expect the contests to start almost immediately after OB launches, and I'd like to do well with a team.

Check it out, let me know. I'll be playing.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
ColdSteel

Re: Path of Exile

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm very interested in trying this game out but haven't played it yet. I've been waiting for the open beta to do that. It seems like something that I would really like but the few posts I've seen about it here have been mostly 'meh'.

I do know for sure that I don't like the dev approach to loot drops while in a party (only a second to grab your loot before everyone else can grab it) So, for sure I'll be playing solo only if I play it. No respec at all also seems kind of dumb given the size and complexity of the passive skill tree. Any new player will almost certainly hose their first character so I don't understand them being so hardcore about that.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That sounds pretty nice. I like the "We hate light and cartoony and wanted gritty. This is a gritty, dark game" ... but between limited time and them having a seemingly strong focus on PvP and player interaction, I'm not in on this yet.

When it hits playability and reports start rolling in as to how well it strings out for solo players I'll get more interested.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I dunno... played it before Diablo 3 was released to cure my itch and... it didn't do it for me. The talent tree is really cool but the gameplay was too slow for me.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

This just went live to Open Beta today. Free to Play for all. I put in over a hundred hours in Closed Beta and plan to play the crap out of this starting today. Anyone who wants to group for levelling or end game let me know.

With a lot of time invested IMO this is the best ARPG going right now. Unlike that D3 thing, all of your choices really matter. See you in Wraeclast.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Chesspieceface wrote:This just went live to Open Beta today. Free to Play for all. I put in over a hundred hours in Closed Beta and plan to play the crap out of this starting today. Anyone who wants to group for levelling or end game let me know.

With a lot of time invested IMO this is the best ARPG going right now. Unlike that D3 thing, all of your choices really matter. See you in Wraeclast.
Let's face it: None of the ARPGs that came out recently are better than the others. They all have some pretty significant flaws that keep them from being an A game. Diablo 3 had poor itemization (maybe the most important feature), but awesome combat and a great skill system that lets you try out everything without ever having to re-roll. Torchlight had great itemization and combat, but a lack of interesting skill variety and too much "been here, done that" by copying Diablo 2 too closely. Path of Exile has great character development and interesting itemization, but a high learning curve and the poorest combat of all three. All three are solid B+ games, but none of them is an A.

I'm going to give it a 4th chance. Supposedly the combat gets better at higher levels, but who wants to play for 20+ hours to get to where the combat is "good"? Nonetheless I'll be rolling a Summoner Witch this time and you can look for me in-game as Butterknife if I happen to be on.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

YOu are entitled to your opinion Butterknife but it is far from a fact. I've already had my fill of gaming with people who begrugingly play things. I personally think this is a great game, better than the others, and that's what I'm saying here. I' going to play the shit out of it, and I'd like to do that with other people who also like it.

Let's face it, when you start a sentence with "let's face it" and then condemn things you aren't making any actual argument at all.

So let's face it. I think this game is great and I want to play it with other people who like it. Let's also face that I'm going to continue to post positive things about this game I enjoy, and also face that I'm probably going to take blatant negativity from someone who played a test build months ago as a nuisance to my cause of creating interest in a game I love.
Angnomander

Post by Angnomander »

There are no respecs?
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Angnomander wrote:There are no respecs?
There are respecs. There are just no full and free respecs. The game has numerous mechanisms by which you gain the right to refund points. Some are relatively free and some will cost you currencies to make happen. But there are certainly respecs. In Closed Beta I made two build changes to my main for over 17 points each. It was costly but educational.

The most bizarre "there are no..." statement about this game is that there is no money or gold at all. There are only currency items that are also the mats that drive the crafting system.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Chesspieceface wrote:YOu are entitled to your opinion Butterknife but it is far from a fact. I've already had my fill of gaming with people who begrugingly play things. I personally think this is a great game, better than the others, and that's what I'm saying here. I' going to play the shit out of it, and I'd like to do that with other people who also like it.

Let's face it, when you start a sentence with "let's face it" and then condemn things you aren't making any actual argument at all.

So let's face it. I think this game is great and I want to play it with other people who like it. Let's also face that I'm going to continue to post positive things about this game I enjoy, and also face that I'm probably going to take blatant negativity from someone who played a test build months ago as a nuisance to my cause of creating interest in a game I love.
I didn't mean to offend you! I think it is totally cool if you like the game. I'm re-installing it now. I'd love to be wrong about it all -- after all, we all want to play as many awesome games as possible. But from my 15 or so hours in the closed beta I saw some problems that I wanted others to be aware of.

Anyway, if you don't want to play together that is totally cool. I'm only going to be playing very casually anyway, my invite to play was more to everyone who is going to try it out (and for free, why not?)
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

No offense taken. I realize i come off like a raging fanboy but I just have a specific stick up my butt right now about people being too cynical to enjoy games. I think PoE has a lot unique and new to offer and that if people are still playing Titan Quest on this forum there is no reason not to check this out.

I'd be happy to play with you or anyone for that matter anytime. My main gripe is that I have no one to play this awesome game with right now. :)

My account name is Chesspieceface
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Alright Chesspiece, I'll try this again. I tried it before and don't recall why I didn't like it but I'll let you know if I still hold the same opinion and explain why.
Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I lik eit but wish the camera was out a little bit more, not much but it feels too close.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Seems like the 'entry' price might be $20 - the cost for 200 tokens, which upgrades all of your storage to the limit. Anything else looks like pure fluff, which I'm completely okay with. I was glad to see it hasn't gone the way of "pay for power" and everything you get (aside from the inventory) is more or less visual alterations to the base game.

There's also the $1000 entry point for designing your own item for the game, which seems odd and cool.

I still like the visual style but remain cautious about the PvP. I would love to hear how people can interact with each other before I invest any time in it - which, even if I love the sound of it will be a while as Dragon Age has me firmly mired.
Black Lives Matter

PLW

Post by PLW »

Im in.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Like it better than the last time I played it. Hoping I continue to enjoy after the admittedly brief sessions I've played so far.
Hotfreak

Post by Hotfreak »

It's an ARPG, so I will play it like a fish and drink like a madman....
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Paingod wrote:I still like the visual style but remain cautious about the PvP. I would love to hear how people can interact with each other before I invest any time in it - which, even if I love the sound of it will be a while as Dragon Age has me firmly mired.

I don't think you are going to find much in PvP. Its essentially the same open and pointless combat that D3 is implementing in 1.0.7. Nothing to speak of. What PoE does offer is Cuthroat leagues. Those are whole races in a PvP style where you can invade other player's instances to gank them and is very cool. Cutthroat is event based only and not a default league type though.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm in on this as well. I've been just waiting for open beta to try it out. I'm gonna try to make a Templar lightning based summmoner build for starters I think.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

One thing I already like is that they are smart about passwords. Once I put my password in once, I don't have to keep putting it in, exposing my password to keyloggers. All online only games should follow this. Of course you wouldn't do this if you were playing on a public computer or any computer you thought might be compromised, but otherwise I think it's a great idea.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Chesspieceface wrote:
Paingod wrote:I still like the visual style but remain cautious about the PvP. I would love to hear how people can interact with each other before I invest any time in it - which, even if I love the sound of it will be a while as Dragon Age has me firmly mired.
I don't think you are going to find much in PvP. Its essentially the same open and pointless combat that D3 is implementing in 1.0.7. Nothing to speak of. What PoE does offer is Cuthroat leagues. Those are whole races in a PvP style where you can invade other player's instances to gank them and is very cool. Cutthroat is event based only and not a default league type though.
Is it possible to create locked instances that no one can 'invade' for any reason?
Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got the client download completed late, so I'll check it out tonight.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm trying out a Marauder with the intention of starting over with a melee ranger at some point. I did find a low level but gold staff so perhaps I'll just look into who would be best served by wielding it. I've only really played an hour so I don't have any deep thoughts but even an hour was enough to remind me while I haven't played Roguelike games since they went graphical and mouse driven. Click to move and click to attack while the enemy is also moving. Way too much circling the bad guy without hitting him while he beats on me. I do like the skill tree idea though so I'll stick with it for a while. I might have a good 3 hour stretch tomorrow to really see how the game works.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Madmarcus wrote:I'm trying out a Marauder with the intention of starting over with a melee ranger at some point. I did find a low level but gold staff so perhaps I'll just look into who would be best served by wielding it. I've only really played an hour so I don't have any deep thoughts but even an hour was enough to remind me while I haven't played Roguelike games since they went graphical and mouse driven. Click to move and click to attack while the enemy is also moving. Way too much circling the bad guy without hitting him while he beats on me. I do like the skill tree idea though so I'll stick with it for a while. I might have a good 3 hour stretch tomorrow to really see how the game works.
Hold Shift to attack without moving if needed, using it a lot as a Ranger.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I've played enough to get my Templar to level 9 so far. I like the game. For a small developer it's surprisingly well done. I like the dark, gritty world and the story line so far. The voice acting is pretty darn good. The equipment and gem system is a lot of fun and I even like the passive tree, daunting as it may be. This may be a keeper. We'll see how I feel around level 20 or 30. The stability of the game for me has been excellent. No lag or disconnects for me so far at all.

I've found some pretty good yellow starting gear for everything important except my weapon. That's ironically probably the most critical thing I need but I figure sooner or later something good will drop. I've leveled my raise zombie gem up to the point my 3 zombies are doing good damage and are getting harder to kill so that's good. I got a fire trap gem and it is surprisingly effective. More so than my firestorm gem, really. What I really want now is a raise skeleton gem but I may have to wait until Act II to get one.

One thing that's suprising is that I leveled my Glacial Hammer gem beyond the strength requirement for the level (it requires str 25 at that level and I'm 22) and so it just quit working at all. That's kind of strange mechanics.

Do any of the old timer beta players have any starting tips for us noobs?

Anyway, cool game. If you like ARPGs it's certainly worth trying. It's free after all.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Played a bit last night. Pushed a Marauder to the Medicine Chest. I'll probably try a different class today, just to see which I like better. Any suggestions?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm liking my ranged witch so far. Blast them from afar with my regular wand attack, and then use an ice ring, or fireball for when they gang up in melee.

Entertaining so far. We'll see if it can hold my interest long term.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

After some more time with the game I'd say its a winner. My 2H Marauder is doing nicely although I could stand some yellow gear (I have lots of yellow gear for others but none that fit my guy) My biggest gripe is that I'm not seeing gems very often. I have some from rewards (notably heavy strike and sweep) and a couple of arrow ones I found early but otherwise I'm just not seeing them.

I am getting knocked off the server every so often this morning but that was only a problem when I was going after the crab and hadn't activated that nearest waypoint yet.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Servers are down (or going up and down) because some jackasses decided it would be fun to do a DDOS against them. They know Blizzard would throw their asses in jail so they go after a little company. I hate this type of shit, so stupid.
Black Lives Matter
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I played a char to 65+ running endgame maps, and many others into the 30's in Closed Beta. I have one character starting Cruel Act I right now and another at the Start of Act III Normal, both softcore. I'll try to offer some starting advice.

-Names: If you give yourself a 'hashtag' you can get any name you want without thinking twice, i.e. all my chars are CPF_Name and it saves a lot of time.

- The game is based on the three stats Str, Int and Dex. Each class is either a focus on one or a hybrid between the two. The differences between the classes are only three things: Starting location on the passive tree, starting base stats, and which gems you will get for quest rewards.

-Because your gems are dictated by starting class, your first character will be limited entirely to the abilities offered as rewards or that you happen to find. Your future characters will have the benefit of your stashed gems to help them use more varied abilities earlier. Because of this setup you will be best off if your first character or two run very pure according to their particular Stat/Color combination. The easiest class to do that in probably the Maurauder right now, but its entirely doable with any base class.

- The gem system and the links between sockets become critical to the game but you will never see this until you reach about level twenty unless you get a very unusual early support gem drop. Early on you are using single gems for abilities. Its good to understand that later those 4-link items will mean a spell with 3 support gems beefing it up in a way of your choice.

-The crafting system is not immediately obvious but suffice it to say that there is a reason that all white items show on the ground with their available slots and links on display. A big part of the game becomes finding white items and enchanting them into better gear for yourself using currencies. Alternatively watch the trade channel and use your currencies to trade for better gear. Its tempting to save all that currency as a new player but especially because you are new and arent' playing in a party its important that you either trade, group or craft to keep decent gear on yourself.

- It is completely possible to make a crappy gimped character that will suck in this game. As a general rule on the passive tree, go a little broad by level 12-20 and try to flesh out a structure you mean to use. Don't be tempted by too many damage and attack nodes early on. Until you really know what you are doing or get around to taking the Chaos Inoculation Keystone you need Life. Every character except maybe a pure summoner needs life nodes early on. Go out of your way for them, know how you are going to get more later, or have some amazing other plan for where your survivability will come from. You can do glass cannon type things in PoE, but as a general rule you want more life than you think you need at the beginning. You can flesh out into all the fancy specialization nodes later after you have a solid base that isn't dooming you to hell.

I can try to answer any questions here and I love grouping up in the game so be sure to hit me up here or through Steam if you want to level up with someone or get an earful of the ropes. I think PoE is very cool all around and can see myself playing a lot more.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

My minion warden is now level 14 with zombie and skeleton gems. I read on a forum that Act II is much tougher than Act I and a new player should spend a little time farming the Warden for decent damage gear before moving on. That sounded good but apparently you can't backtrack from Prisoner's Gate to the Warden's keep directly and instead you have to wade through the lower and upper prison to get to him. This doesn't seem to lend to any easy way to farm the Warden. Am I just missing something? Is there an easier way to get to him?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Last night I started a Templar with the plan of farming some of the early gems and them killing him off. He's now 9th level and going strong because he keeps finding good gear. Frustrating but fun.
wire

Post by wire »

Trying it out but I'm not sure I want to click the mouse button a 1000 times a minute for extended periods of time. Didn't realize that zones respawn if you leave them...fought my way to the zone with the Medicine Chest and my backpack was full so I hoofed it back to the starting town to sell. Had to fight my way back through the zone...only to get a teleport scroll later. I'm pretty savvy with learning how to play new games but I do wish there was some new player tutorials that explain certain aspects of the game...like travel, the market system (scrolls and gems instead of gold), haven't found the crafting system yet.

I've really enjoyed playing the ranged characters. Much easier holding down the shift key and plugging away at the mobs as they approach you. Running around swinging at moving targets with a sword has been less enjoyable. Also wish you could map away from using the middle scroll wheel to use the 3rd gem (if there's a way I haven't found it).
PLW

Post by PLW »

Just finished up Act I with my 2-handing Maurader. It's fun, but awfully repetitive. Basically, for me right now there's not much strategy other than don't go so fast as to be overwhelmed. Does it open up some from there?
Hotfreak

Post by Hotfreak »

Heya Chesspieceface,

Sorry for the tangent, but a weird thing happened last night as I was reading this forum. My wife, who is recovering from serious surgery and taking a cocktail of pain and nerve pain medications was looking at the forum over my shoulder and misread your moniker as "Cheap Piece of Face". She told me that that was the funniest forum moniker she'd ever seen. Needless to say, I now have a PoE character named "Cheappieceofface".

:)
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

PLW wrote:Just finished up Act I with my 2-handing Maurader. It's fun, but awfully repetitive. Basically, for me right now there's not much strategy other than don't go so fast as to be overwhelmed. Does it open up some from there?
Act I Normal is the easiest the game will ever be, I'd venture if you play through up to Cruel Difficulty you'll be surprised at the jump up. Its going to get a lot harder than that, but isn't "don't go so fast as to be overwhelmed" pretty much the guiding axiom of all ARPGs? Pretty much all of these games are about taking on packs of mobs at a comfortable killing pace and leaving yourself a way out, Boss fights aside.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

My minion warden named Silverbones is now level 27 and my 5 zombies have a little over 600 health each, which is more than my warden has. They gnaw on stuff for me while I drop firestorm on it or use icespear. It's been pretty easy going until now. I just hit the Ancient Pyramid in Act II and that's been a lot tougher. I also have a bow shadow that's just finished Act I and he's had a tougher time of it than the warden has. Poison arrow and rain of arrows were great up until level 15 or so but now I need to find a way to do better damage. None of my characters has had any luck at all in finding a good weapon so I keep hoping for a good rare to drop. I also have not had much luck with support gem drops and I still keep hoping that a spell totem gem will drop for my warden. I did find a decoy totom but am not sure what kind of character it would be best to use with. Should I be using that with my bow shadow rather than the zombies he's using currently as a distraction?

Anyway this game gets deeper as you get further along. I feel like I'm just now getting to the interesting stuff you can do with your character. I love the gem system for skills and the trading/crafting is very original. I've crafted about 5 chromatic orbs so far from white items I found with linked rainbow slots. Pretty cool stuff. The passive tree is not really that hard to figure out if you spend a little time playing around with it offline. I love that it makes you make some tough decisions about what you really want.

Anyway, this game is a winner and has my continuing interest. I'll be playing this for a while.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Hmmm, I just realized my warden summoner is level 32 in Act III and still hasn't gotten a 'raise spectre' gem which is a level 19 gem. So I guess I've been unlucky with drops. It doesn't seem to be a quest reward on any difficulty level for wardens so does anyone have any ideas about the best way to get one? Is there a specific place you can farm to get one to drop?
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

ColdSteel wrote:Hmmm, I just realized my warden summoner is level 32 in Act III and still hasn't gotten a 'raise spectre' gem which is a level 19 gem. So I guess I've been unlucky with drops. It doesn't seem to be a quest reward on any difficulty level for wardens so does anyone have any ideas about the best way to get one? Is there a specific place you can farm to get one to drop?
The Witch gets the "Raise Spectre" gem as a quest reward in Act II Normal. There is no specific place to farm them and the way you will get one fastest is simply to trade for it. I'd try to help you further but I'm confused as there is no class in this game called "Warden". Glad you are enjoying!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Chesspieceface wrote: I'd try to help you further but I'm confused as there is no class in this game called "Warden". Glad you are enjoying!
Lol, Doh! I meant Templar. Not sure where I got warden from. I guess I had a brain cramp from playing too many other games with wardens. What would be a fair trade price for it? I have no desire to play a witch up to act II just to get it.