Little Inferno (World of Goo Developer)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Little Inferno (World of Goo Developer)

Post by Lordnine »

I’ve been looking forward to this one since I first heard about it. This is the newest game from the World of Goo developer. Today I saw that anyone who preorders on their website will get access to the beta and also receive a Steam key when it comes out officially this Sunday.

First things first. This is not a game in the traditional sense. At the start of the game you get a fireplace and some basic instructions on how to light a fire. The only problem is you have nothing to burn so you do the logical thing and throw your instructions into the fireplace and light those. And then you’re alone. Not long after though you receive a catalog in the mail that lets you buy all new things to burn and the game officially starts.

The gameplay itself is very simple, order a product, light it on fire and get more money. Light objects on fire in the right combos and you unlock future catalogues and story elements. And here is where the game actually gets interesting. Much like World of Goo, Little Inferno has a story to tell and uses both humor and disturbing imagery/atmosphere to tell it very well. The disturbing is played up in the main gameplay very effectively as you can see.

Enlarge Image

It’s really hard to talk about the overreaching gameplay and story without giving too much away but I will say it’s definitely an interesting experience.
Chesspieceface

Re: Little Inferno (World of Goo Developer)

Post by Chesspieceface »

This thing is hypnotic and weird... impulse bought on Steam and got sucked in for an hour of... burning things. Very strange and relaxing game so far. I like it.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A new game from the World of Goo guys? Fantastic!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Thanks for the heads up, this wasn't on my radar at all. Bought it sight unseen due to all the goo'd will they built up with me with their last game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I hadn't heard of this either. At one time the STEAM notifications about new games, etc... weren't nearly as overwhelming as they are now. I think I've mostly tuned them out and unfortunately I end up missing out on stuff like this when I do. I watched the videos and was left with a decidedly creepy feeling. I think I'd need to see some more game play or read impressions, but it certainly looks unique.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finished the game tonight. It DOES have an ending and it didn’t disappoint. That said the less you know about it the happier you will be when you play it. I’m really curious what the reviews are going to be like for this because as far as I’m concerned it’s unreviewable. You can say you like it or you didn’t but anything beyond that spoils what it is.

As for me, I liked it. :D
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Okay, I'm pretty deep into the game and I've just reached a really disturbing part. I mean, it's actually making me sad and I'm hoping that it's just a fake-out, because if it's not, they're going to some pretty dark places with this game.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’m pretty sure I know what part of the game you’re at. I think I literally slumped in my chair a bit at that point. I thought there were some very clever twists in the game towards the end. Let us know what you think once you finish it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

What an odd... experience. I'm only up to the 3rd catalog so still have a ways to go.
-mf
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

So this is out now officially (on Steam) or is it beta?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Officially out now
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Picked it up last night and spent about half an hour playing. Which is enough time to establish that it is very weird, but not enough time to form any real impressions.

FYI, it plays well on a touch screen, but you have to double-tap with your finger where you would normally single-click with your mouse.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

But not out on ipad?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

No, I'm playing on a laptop with a touchscreen (early Xmas present to myself). An iPad port seems like a no-brainer, though.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Lordnine wrote:I’m pretty sure I know what part of the game you’re at. I think I literally slumped in my chair a bit at that point. I thought there were some very clever twists in the game towards the end. Let us know what you think once you finish it.
I just finished it and I was surprised how much it affected me. I'm not weeping or anything, but I liked the message and the tone. Overall, it was more than I imagined it would be going into the game. I hesitate to say more due to spoilers, but it was well worth the price. Now to finish off the combos.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well hell, with all these mysterious comments, I have cobbled together the following about the game:

1. (for me) will probably be better suited on the iPad
2. will possibly make me cry
3. has dark undertones (though I got that from just watching the video). Although, burning children's toys might be considered an overtone of darkness...not sure about that
4. is unusual/unique/original enough to stump long time gamers from pigeonholing it into a particular genre, or even describing it very well (also to keep from spoiling I guess)
5. Will feed my inner pyro
6. apparently has a "Crying Game" esque spoiler

Is that about it? Consider my interest piqued.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The actual 'gameplay' aspect involves trying to figure out the predetermined item combos to burn simultaneously, which lets you unlock new shopping catalogs and otherwise advances the game. For instance, there could be a listing for "Magical COMBO" with two blank boxes, and it will unlock if you simultaneously burn a black top hat and a rabbit stuffed animal. (not a real example)

It's also just fun to fiddle around with to watch the fire/physics engine, the animations for different items, etc.

I've gotten to the end of the game (and loved the experience) but I'm still enjoying burning more and more things trying to figure out the last of the combos without looking at spoilers.

Oh, and while there were numerous aspects that I loved about the game, one nice touch that really made me tip my hat to the developers (not a story spoiler, just spoiling how one certain item behaves)
Spoiler:
After I unlocked the Tetris-shaped blocks, I couldn't resist experimenting to see if anything would happen if I made a complete row. Sure enough, the devs thought of it. :wub:
Last edited by wonderpug on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

wonderpug wrote:but I'm still enjoying burning more and more things
I'm now convinced this is some type of police pyromaniac internet screening tool.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

lol
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I kind of winced the first time I burned the
Spoiler:
school bus.
:shock:
-mf
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have a little less than two hours into the game. I find it relaxing and disturbing at the same time. Not really sure what they tapped into, but it's definitely an experience.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:I have a little less than two hours into the game. I find it relaxing and disturbing at the same time. Not really sure what they tapped into, but it's definitely an experience.
Ditto here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

...and finished. Man...what an interesting game. Pretty deep stuff to think about for a $4 price tag.

Super mega spoiler here, but this sums it up nicely for me.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, a little help... I can't seem to make "ice coffee"? Clearly you don't make it with dry ice... but what?

And that Manly thing... I found the 3 items, but they don't seem to want to stay together, as one jumps around a bit. How do you combine them / burn them together?

I'm at about 55 combos made, and some of those are pretty charming, However, that "twist" really got me, and I'm sure there's another twist coming.
Spoiler:
It's a message... from high up!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I finished last night, but I have to admit, was a little disappointed in the final part of the game, probably due to how much it was built up (both in game, and ex-). While interesting, it certainly wasn't a mind blowing, Youtube viral worthy experience like some (not here) made it out to be.

Loved the game, will definitely buy the next things these guys do. Their attention to quality and detail is a huge draw for me.

For those that have touch capable devices that haven't bought it yet, I highly recommend the touch version, which helps draw you into the game tremendously IMO, given the mechanics and what you are doing.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I played this a while back when it was on sale. I'd say on the whole I enjoyed it... perhaps enjoyed is a little strong, but it was certainly worth playing through.

Mostly though I think these guys talents are wasted on simple little puzzle games like this. They're pretty good writers and do a great job of setting the mood in their games. I'd love to see what they could in in terms of a more standard adventure game.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sepiche wrote:I played this a while back when it was on sale. I'd say on the whole I enjoyed it... perhaps enjoyed is a little strong, but it was certainly worth playing through.

Mostly though I think these guys talents are wasted on simple little puzzle games like this. They're pretty good writers and do a great job of setting the mood in their games. I'd love to see what they could in in terms of a more standard adventure game.
Great point. Some kind of "thinking man's" adventure game. They seem to be capable of breaking genre molds pretty well, but maybe "high level casual" is their forte.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I actually kind of like that they make smaller games. There are tons of developers making more “epic” style games and its nice having something small to break them up that still has a well-developed story and atmosphere.

Of course, if they wanted to give it a shot I would still check out whatever they decided to make. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

That ending sure poked fun at the entire gaming community. :D It's pretty funny, and poignant at the same time.

I can't get the Manly combo to work. Darn it. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Just finished the game. A great experience.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Burn, old thread. Buuurrrrnnn!

I've finished the game and had a lot of the reactions you all had. It was more thoughtful and disturbing than I was expecting. At first, I chose to take the game literally, and yeah, that got to be too much at a certain point. Then I decided it was a commentary on how we are too quick to dispense with our childhoods, too quick to grow up, to quick to "burn" our toys in our quest to become adults. Then I read the Wired article Smoove linked above, and it seems the developer had a very different message in mind, but one that probably makes more sense.

It was a pleasure to burn (the bus and valkyrie doll were my favorites) and see how many combos I could figure out on my own. I kind of ruined the game for myself, though, by not using my Tomorrow Stamps judiciously. For some reason I thought I might need to save them up for something big, so I didn't use them often. I wasted a lot of time waiting for deliveries.

Not until I started writing this post did I appreciate what a great character Sugar Plumps is. The expressive ways in which she is drawn and written really strengthen the emotional points in the game.

I don't know what Tomorrow Corporation's plans are, but based on this game and World of Goo, I hope to see more. It seems there's an adventure game in them trying to get out, and I think they should let it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

My now-9 year old is playing this now. And is hooked. BURN!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:09 pm My now-9 year old is playing this now. And is hooked. BURN!
Your bump made me discover that they released 10 year anniversary DLC for this last year. I don't know if the game needs DLC but I'm curious so I will pick it up and report back.