Prison Architect by Introversion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rip

Re: Prison Architect by Introversion

Post by Rip »

baelthazar wrote:I am so terrible at this game. Any tips for how to lay out the initial buildings so you have what you need but don't lose all your money? Do you guys hire a ton more workers to get this done before the prisoners arrive? I guess I need a "getting started" page, despite having played this since the beginning!
I turn off prisoner intake and don't hire guards/cooks until I have the "basic detention center" built.

Then you turn it on hire two guards and two cooks, bam collect from the grant. By that time I have already collected the "basic administration center" grant. That should give you more than enough money to construct a 16-32 man cell block collecting that grant.

Also you can now adjust intake to your liking, so you can just trickle a couple new inmates a day as you near capacity.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Wait... all this time I could turn off and alter prisoner intake...

:grund: :grund: :grund: :grund:
Rip

Post by Rip »

baelthazar wrote:Wait... all this time I could turn off and alter prisoner intake...

:grund: :grund: :grund: :grund:
You have always been able to turn it off and on as well as choose which level of prisoners to accept. The fine controls have been recently added. You can now get exactly how many you want from each of the categories.

Want 2 min security and 5 normal security. No problem.

It has really become one heck of a game.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New alpha is awesome so far. Love the new gang mechanics.
- Gang Leaders
Sometimes a Legendary prisoner who arrives through Intake will also be a gang leader.
They will immediately assume control of their gang, and will establish a leadership hierarchy.
Can promote gang members into Lieutenants, up to a maximum of 1 lieutenant per 10 soldiers.
Can recruit non gang members into the gang. (Must visit the prisoner first)

Gang members are fiercly loyal to their leaders:
- They will become angry (temperature increase) if their leader is being punished in Solitary or Lockdown
- If a gang leader is killed, the entire gang will immediately try to start a riot

- Gang Territory Capture
Gangs will attempt to take control of key areas of your prison.
The attempt is called a 'Play', and is led by a Lieutenant.
He will gather a group of gang members together and give them instructions.
The soldiers will then proceed to the zone in question, and assert their authority over that zone.
If they are unchallenged, the territory will turn their colour and they will have ownership of it.
The player cannot build or change room setups within gang territory

- Captured Territory
Once captured, territory shows up in the Gangs view as the colour of the gang who has claimed it
Rival gang members are not permitted into the territory
Non gang members can enter the territory and use the facilities (eg Phones), but must pay Protection Money to the gang
Gangs accumulate money from non gang members this way, and will use the money to buy equipment such as stolen weapons
From time to time a lieutenant will arrange a 'Play' to revisit the territory with a group of soldiers, as a show of force.

- Contested Territories
Sometimes a gang will be strong enough to take a territory from a rival gang.
They will only attempt this if they have sufficient numerical advantage.
A lieutenant will arrange a Play and will send enough soldiers to take the territory by force.

- Eviction
Once a gang has claimed a territory, they must be Evicted to remove their influence.
Click on the EVICT button in the gang view to begin this process.
Any gang members within the territory will immediately turn hostile.
Nearby gang lietenants will arrange new 'Plays' in an attempt to re-capture their territory from your guards.
Once you have defended the territory for 24 hours, the ownership reverts to 'Unclaimed'.

- Securing a territory
With enough guards, you can protect a territory against any gang control.
Nb this can only be done with an unclaimed territory - any gangs must be evicted first.

- Security Rooms
Security rooms also count as territory, and are automatically guard controlled.
Guards can project their power from security rooms to any neighbouring territory.
Eg a security room with 10 guards inside will 'project' 10 guards onto all neighbouring yards, common rooms etc.
Nb. 'Neighbouring' means there must be a door between the security room and the yard/common room.

= Contraband trading
All prisoners can now trade their stolen contraband with other prisoners for money.
Prisoners will sell items they don't particularly want, and use that money at the shop or to buy other items from other prisoners.
The price of any item is based on the supply and demand of that item within the prison.
The approximate trade prices of all items can now be seen in the Intelligence / Dangers view.

- Ranged Weapon accuracy
All ranged weapons have had their accuracy nerfed (previously 100% for anyone).
Tazers: 60% accuracy
Tazers used by Armed guards: 70% accuracy
All other ranged weapons: 70% accuracy
All other ranged weapons used by Armed guards: 90%

- The following rooms now all require Prison Labour to be unlocked:
Shop
Library
Mail Room

- Additional Contraband can now be stolen from the following rooms:
- Forestry : Saw / Axe / Spade

- Guard deployment screen now uses same layout engine as Jobs
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And in other news, from the Alpha 35 video, they are planning to release in October. Also the next alpha update video will be done live on stage somewhere, I'm not sure what venue they were talking about.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Post by tgb »

I've barely touched it since getting it on sale several months back. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product, and a wait of a couple of months isn't going to kill me.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
naednek

Post by naednek »

So I'm not sure how and why but it finally clicked and I'm doing pretty well on managing needs. Now having money is another thing.

So I have two Cell Blocks with each having their own Kitchen, Canteen and cells. The original Kitchen and Canteen work fine, but as soon as I built my 2nd set the Canteen says there are no prisoners assigned to it. I have unlocked micromanagement and I'm able to see which kitchen serves what and which canteen serves to which cells. Even though I have prisoners in cell block b, I can't get it to serve them. What am I doing wrong?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rip

Post by Rip »

naednek wrote:So I'm not sure how and why but it finally clicked and I'm doing pretty well on managing needs. Now having money is another thing.

So I have two Cell Blocks with each having their own Kitchen, Canteen and cells. The original Kitchen and Canteen work fine, but as soon as I built my 2nd set the Canteen says there are no prisoners assigned to it. I have unlocked micromanagement and I'm able to see which kitchen serves what and which canteen serves to which cells. Even though I have prisoners in cell block b, I can't get it to serve them. What am I doing wrong?
What kitchens cell blocks are assigned to gets assigned automatically but you can override. You need to assign one of the cell blocks to the canteen you want and make sure it is getting supplied by the second kitchen. Auto is often not optimal.

Instructions for what you are doing is after the 4:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zi6_-tneEo
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ok I think I see what I'm doing wrong. Will have to try later to confirm.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Figured it out. While I had 2 separate cell blocks it wasn't divided by building. Basically a hallway separated it, but it the computer's understanding, it thought it was one big block. Once I put a jail door between the two areas and treated it separately.
Rip

Post by Rip »

naednek wrote:Figured it out. While I had 2 separate cell blocks it wasn't divided by building. Basically a hallway separated it, but it the computer's understanding, it thought it was one big block. Once I put a jail door between the two areas and treated it separately.
Yea that can be a pain in the butt. I couldn't do open shower rooms because of that. I just used regular doors since I didn't want access to the shower restricted.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wonder if we'll see this in the next alpha? Fight erupts after drone drops narcotics into prison yard
A drone dropped a bundle of narcotics and tobacco into the Mansfield Correctional Institution, located southwest of Cleveland, Ohio. The incident left nine people in solitary confinement for fighting over control of the contraband.

The delivery included more than five ounces of tobacco, over two ounces of marijuana, and about one-quarter ounce of heroin, according to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction. The package was dropped on the north recreation yard, and was thrown into the south recreation yard as inmates fought.

All inmates in both the north recreation and south recreation yards underwent mandatory strip searches and clinic checks.

"They don't fly themselves. You'd have to be pretty savvy and know a lot about the scenario to pull something like that off," said Kyle Belman, who sells drones from Cyclone Hobbies in Columbus, Ohio, in a statement to PIX 11.

Drugs have an extremely high value inside US correctional institutions, where they typically are sold and bartered by organized prison gangs.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rip

Post by Rip »

Release day!!!!

If you don't have it, get it!

I've had a lot of fun and I am looking forward to the release version.

I haven't played an alpha in a couple months just to make sure I have lots of surprises.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Wow, I played through most of the Campaign/Tutorial tonight and it was fun. They really came through on this project and I don't think they are finished yet.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, this thread hasn't been updated in a while. So it might be a surprise that the game now has it's fourth post-release update:
New features for this month:

= Thermodynamics
The game now models the ambient temperature of the world, and it's effect on your prisoners.
The outdoor temperature will vary during the day, and turn cold at night
The temperature of your indoor areas will be affected by this. Indoor areas near doors and windows will lose heat fast.
Certain existing objects generate lots of heat : Cookers (when in use), power stations, water pumps

- New toolbar button under Logistics : Temperature. Visualises the temperature of all areas of your prison
- Prisoners now have a Warmth need. This need increases when they are cold.
- They will protest if cold for too long, and eventually cause trouble.

- If prisoners are too hot for too long (for example working in a hot kitchen) they will develop a status effect "Overheating"
This makes them more likely to cause trouble

- New item : Radiator. Build these around your prison to warm up the indoors when required.

= Quick Build menu
The old "Clone" toolbar item has been replaced with a new "Quick Build" menu, with more options.
You can now pick from a set of template rooms, and stamp them dowm in your prison.
All neccesary foundations will be built (if required), and the area will be cleared of walls and objects.
Then your workmen will build all the walls and objects required.
The room type will be automatically assigned.
You can rotate a quick build room using R or middle mouse click.

Available quick build rooms:
- Basic Cell
- Solitary Cell
- Luxury Cell
- Shared Cell
- Office

Nb. Clone is now available in the Quick Build menu and no longer needs to be researched.

= New prison sharing options

- A new option in the Extras menu 'Most Popular Prisons' lets you view the most popular Steam Workshop prisons
You can choose to view the most popular over the last week/month/year/all time
Play the prison instantly by clicking Play

- We are now bundling 10 of the best community made prisons with all versions of the game.
These are designed for times when you have no internet connection, or are not running the Steam build (so no workshop access)

- You can now attach a Phone Tap to the Secure vistation booths added in Update 3.
This will give you more intelligence on contraband, escapes etc.

- New Translations:
Ukranian, Bulgarian, Traditional Chinese

= BUG FIXES
- 0010454: [Gameplay] Escape mode: Revive prisoners
- 0010333: [Gameplay] Fill to capacity improvement
- 0010588: [AI & Behaviour] Prisoners can work and get paid even when job room is invalid
- 0009100: [AI & Behaviour] Mail delivered to solitary cell after inmate has left
- 0010566: [AI & Behaviour] Prisoners do not use weight-benches
- 0010500: [Performance] Snipers in Guard Towers cause major lag.
- 0010567: [AI & Behaviour] Doctors get stuck while attempting to heal
- 0010539: [Gameplay] Saved game, crashes at same spot
- 0010519: [AI & Behaviour] Wrong delivered mail.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Play Prison Architect in 3D

No joke

It's been in the game since V1, but as an easter egg. Took 5 months to discover.

http://www.pcgamer.com/prison-architect ... er_pcgamer
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I hopped in last night briefly to try the 3D mode. It looks really cool, but after only a few minutes you can see why it was never announced... lots of little bugs and lots of weird rendering. Things like lots of objects not having 3d versions, notification popups not following their source properly if you move the screen around. Just lots of general issues that would need to get fixed for it to be viable.

Still it's awfully cool to be able to zoom in and kind of walk around the halls of a prison you built.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:liar: ... Prison Architect on Tablet

Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Escape from reality but not from your custom-made jail! Prison Architect: Mobile challenges you to build and manage a maximum security prison, from laying out cell blocks and inmate facilities, to managing staff pay and prisoner morale. From layout to execution (literally, in some cases), you are the architect, the warden, and the enforcer.

Prison designs will include basic necessities like cells, canteens, guard rooms, and infrastructure, but players can also include features like solitary confinement, workout areas, and even an execution chamber.
The tablet version comes with enough to get started, with additional story-driven campaign chapters and more features available as premium content.
Prison Architect: Mobile includes:

Build and manage a prison to house a variety of different prisoners
Juggle inmate needs with security concerns, infrastructure, and the ever-looming budget
Follow the story in Campaign Mode to learn new prison-building techniques and get to know life behind bars through a series of cutscenes and objectives
Unlock more Campaign chapters with one-time purchases
Violent Offenders: Manage different types of criminals and keep control through floods, fires, fights, and full-blown riots

Introversion Software, developers of critically acclaimed games, bring you a new mobile version of their award-winning PC hit. Together with the master strategists at Paradox Interactive, Introversions Prison Architect: Mobile will provide you with enough challenging fun to last an entire life sentence!
Ain't nobody got time for that
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

For those who haven't given into OOFE: this is currently 75% off on GOG summer sale. So pick it up for 7.49
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Good gosh, it's been a while, right? Well, good news, Update 13 released!. It's still in beta for Steam users, but you can get it now or just wait for the regular release.

And of course that means another great YouTube video from Mark and Chris.
STEAM USERS: This update is on the steam branch 'beta', meaning it will not automatically download. You must manually switch to that branch to see this new version.
- Right click on Prison Architect in your games list
- Click 'Properties'
- Click 'Betas'
- Select 'beta' from the list. (Restart steam if it doesn't show up)
- The update will then download.

= Warden Mode
You can now play as the warden inside the prison you are building!
Enable this from a new option in the New Prison screen.
Most of the user interface is the same, but you can also walk around using the WASD keys (and shift to sprint)
You can press TAB to toggle to Action mode. From here you can control the equipment you are carrying, and recruit body guards.
Try not to get attacked by your unruly prisoners! But if you do, you will be taken care of by your medical staff.

- Fog of war: You cannot see around corners, so be careful.
The one exception is that you CAN see through any CCTV cameras you have installed.

- Arm yourself
- You can pick up objects commonly found in each room to protect yourself. Think a knife from the kitchen or a taser from the armoury.
- You can collect body armour from the armoury for some extra protection.
- You cannot simply attack prisoners without provocation. But if you are attacked you are free to defend yourself.

- Protection Squad
- Recruit guards to your personal protection squad by right clicking on them from the Action interface (tab)
- These guards will follow you around and protect you from any unruly prisoners.
- Bodyguards don't come cheap. They will add a significant cost to your daily upkeep.

- Permadeath
- Play in Permadeath mode and you will have to rely on the security and medical infrastructure of your prison even more.
- If you die in Permadeath mode that's it, Game Over.

= Floor Signage
- New tools are available in the Deployment menu to provide floor signage for Prisoners and everyone else
- Floor Signage provides a way for you to give hints to people as to which way they should travel around your prison. People
tend to follow the directions unless a much easier/shorter route is available.
- Misbehaving prisoners, doctors on the way to heal someone, and all type of Emergency callout units ignore the floor signage.
Everyone will also ignore the directions if there is a riot occuring.
- To paint lines, simply select one of the new tools, and left-click and drag in the direction you want people to go. Right-click
and drag to remove paint.

= New Attract screen
The game now opens with a new attract screen, slowly panning around your recent saved prisons (or the bundled prisons if you have no saves).
Press any key or click the mouse to bring up the Main Menu.
This should be a better first screen than simply being dumped on a new empty plot of land.

- Modding
- Script Debugger Window
- Added: When highlighting a scripted object in the script drop down menu, the camera will now move to that object to help see
which script will be selected.
- Fixed: Script names were hard to make sense of. Names in the drop down menu are now a lot shorter and easier to discern.
- Fixed: The window wouldn't correctly open to the selected scripted object, or to a scripted object that threw an error.
- Allowed more object variables to be used by scripts.

= Balance changes
- Removed the cap of 20 prisoners working in a single large room at a time. The new cap is 100.
- Prisoners have received a boost to their academic skill rating based on their security category.
This means it is slightly easier to have prisoners pass the education programs.
- The Foundation Education and General Education reform programs have had the number of sessions halved from 10 and 20 to 5 and 10 respectively.
- The Library now requires a certain academic skill rating rather than specifically requiring the Foundation Education program.
This makes the Library usable sooner.
- Added a new need, Luxuries, which is satisfied by goods sold in the shop. Prisoners who have satisfied this need are less likely to cause trouble.
- You now gain a commision from goods sold in your shop. At the end of each day, you'll receive a bonus payment based on how many goods were sold in your shop.
- Prisoners who go too long without being assigned to a cell will now have a marker pointing to them for easy identification.
- You can now end all punishments on a prisoner from their rapsheet, not just permanent ones.

= Bug Fixes
- Fixed an issue causing Workmen to regularly move shop goods back and forth between the Shop and Storage.
- Fixed: Dogs of fired handlers would occassionally maul some unsuspecting prisoner to death for no reason. Bad dog!
- Fixed: Number of staff resting with staff needs enabled is now updated correctly
- Fixed: Some objective markers for non-English languages appearing in English, they will now be translated correctly
- Fixed: Sectorisation of mixed regular and family cell blocks will no longer split the regular cells into separate sectors.

0011500: [Other] No French label for "missing access to canteen" (John)
0011498: [Other] French translation error in the first campaign (John)
0007501: [AI & Behaviour] Addictions cannot be removed. (PROVED) (Icepick)
0011494: [AI & Behaviour] Work/Lockdup and Work/Free time FREEDOM problem (Icepick)
0011486: [AI & Behaviour] Staff Not Addressing "Rest" Need on Breaks (Icepick)
0011482: [AI & Behaviour] Staff Need Bug (Icepick)
0011324: [Gameplay] Staff Canteen Does Not Have Trays and Staff Cannot Eat (Icepick)
0011151: [Control & User Interface] The new script debugger is not quite useful (elDiablo)
0010989: [Gameplay] Guard Dogs Kill When Fired (Icepick)
0010469: [Mod System] Command Bar only allows one command before breaking. (elDiablo)
0011480: [Mod System] entity.DeathType, .MurderWeapon and .MurdererType not accessible (elDiablo)
0008737: [Control & User Interface] Unable to end temporary punishments (Icepick)
0011509: [Gameplay] Mothers tunneling out of their prison (Icepick)
0011508: [Gameplay] Prisoners sometimes route outside without misbehaving the prison letting them escape (Icepick)
0011505: [Control & User Interface] Number of resting staff members is not adequatly updated (lim_ak)
0011499: [Other] No French label for "Capacitor" (lim_ak)
0011474: [Graphics] Sprite misalignment in 64 bit version (lim_ak)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update 14, via YouTube, as usual, in their own inimitable style.

It's in the beta branch right now, but here are the changes so you'll be ready when it hits the wild:
Wall climbing escape attempts

Rope escapes

A new contraband item has been added to the game, an improvised rope made from prisoner uniforms. Prisoners working in the laundry will sometimes steal 5 uniforms in an attempt to make a rope. As with all contraband items, it can be stashed or traded. Prisoners attempting to escape that have a rope will go grab it and then head to the nearest outside wall. When there, they will throw the rope onto the wall allowing them to pass over it.

More importantly, other prisoners will also use the rope in their escapes attempts. You will have to tell a Workman to dump the rope to remove it from the wall.
Strong prisoners can now escape by climbing over fences.

= Roll Call

You can now request a 'Roll Call' at night. This wakes up all prisoners and forces them to stand in their cell doorway.

Obviously prisoners just looove being forced to do this at 3am in the morning.
Any prisoners who happen to be tunnelling at the time of the roll call will show up late, giving away their plans.
Guards will notice this if nearby, but the vigilant player should keep his own eye out.

= Graphs and stat tracking

You can now view graphs plotting various pieces of data over the life time of your prison
You can compare changes over time by displaying two stats on the same graph

= Mod Support (continued)

Better Entity modding
Modded entities can now have DefaultBehaviour and/or StaffNeed properties.
DefaultBehaviour gives modded entities basic behaviour that all entities in the game have. They can accept jobs from the jobs.txt file, hang out in a certain type of room (if this is set with the HangOutRoom option), go get healed from a doctor if injured, and go to a staff room when tired.
StaffNeeds gives any modded Staff entity (Properties Staff) the same needs system as regular staff, on any map that guards and workmen get.
Modded Staff entities now appear in the Staff reports window under "Other", if any modded staff types exist.
Fixed: Adding an interface element would add it to the currently selected object's window, rather than just the scripted object's window.
Fixed: If a scripted object made more than one custom job (via CreateJob) then we would fail to stop duplicates of that job.
Fixed: Jobs are removed from an object when it is destroyed (Mantis #11595).
Added: Modded jobs will now additively load in worker types. The first loaded job (based on mod order) will still define all properties of the job (JobTime, Tool, Material, etc.), but subsequently loaded jobs with the same name will add in their worker types.
Added: CancelJob function for scripted objects. Used to cancel a custom job created on an object (Mantis #11596).

= Bug Fixes

0011602: [Control & User Interface] missing tooltip for needs_help_StaffWarmth (John)
0011546: [Mod System] Funky stuff with entity.DeathType (elDiablo)
0007558: [Mod System] GetProperty() on needs doesn't work (elDiablo)
0011595: [Mod System] Created jobs on objects still exist when object gets deleted (elDiablo)
0011596: [Mod System] Please implement Object.CancelJob() to be able to cancel jobs created with Object.CreateJob() (elDiablo)
0011593: [Gameplay] Cannot schedule programs with requirements fulfilled (lim_ak)
0011555: [Mod System] CTD on save button with these mods combined (John)
0011446: [Save & Load] Crash on save with std::bad_alloc exception (lim_ak)
0011589: [Gameplay] When I have a gun in Warden Mode and try to shoot a prisoner who is attacking me, the gun only works at point-blank range. (lim_ak)
0011585: [Save & Load] Crash on save with 64bit Steam version (13j) (John)
0011584: [Save & Load] 64Bit Steam version will crash upon start when trying to load a prison for the Attract screen (John)
0011591: [Mod System] When a script adds custom buttons to an object, those buttons will appear on any object which is currently selected (elDiablo)
0011553: [Control & User Interface] Cannot buy land expansions in warden mode due to it being out of reach (lim_ak)
0011551: [AI & Behaviour] Spots that are "Too Dangerous" remain forever, blocking all jobs from completing in that area. (lim_ak)
0011563: [Control & User Interface] Hovering over death notification causes the camera to judder in Warden Mode (lim_ak)
0011570: [Control & User Interface] If sniper is interrupted during aiming, the laser is stuck on sniper/target (John)
0011556: [AI & Behaviour] When dog is tired, his guard is still saying "Patrolling" (lim_ak)
0011578: [Gameplay] Prisoners don't work in the Kitchen with specific Regime Settings (John)
0010971: [Control & User Interface] Zoom to mouse using keyboard (lim_ak)
0011569: [Control & User Interface] pickpocket rep does not have tooltip/description (lim_ak)
0010948: [AI & Behaviour] Death Row Inmates don't turn up on the intake bus when they are scheduled (lim_ak)
0011300: [Mod System] Default spritebank has incorrect marker coordinates that interfer with mods. (lim_ak)
0011583: [Gameplay] Unable to end punishments (lim_ak)
0011518: [Control & User Interface] Provide option in preferences.txt to prevent the new intro screen (John)
0011574: [AI & Behaviour] On high-dpi screens, execution report spills outside dialog (John)
0011564: [Mod System] Custom sound files in mods will cause CTD (John)
0011526: [Control & User Interface] Samuel Norton achievement from just watching the intro screen. (lim_ak)
0011534: [Save & Load] Game crashes when loading a save that moved from an upper save being deleted (lim_ak)
0011537: [Gameplay] Game crash - Assertion failed : 'shadow[index] != 0' -- ...steamapps/common/Prison Architect/PrisonArchitect: line 59 (John)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Damn this developer supports their game. I thought they were officially done patches ago. I put a lot of time into it, but it’s been a while. Might need to jump back in.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I guess it was them or Microsoft... Paradox Buys Prison Architect
Paradox Interactive, a publisher and developer of games for the general population, today announced the purchase of all rights and assets for the Prison Architect IP, a BAFTA award-winning management simulation game developed by Introversion Software. Paradox will take ownership of Prison Architect on all current and any future platforms, including Windows, MacOS, and Linux PCs, and Switch, Xbox and PlayStation consoles, in addition to their ongoing publishing of Prison Architect: Mobile on iOS and Android tablets. This acquisition also allows Paradox to continue development of Prison Architect going forward, and to explore opportunities with the wider “Architect” IP in the future.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Which means we can expect incremental $5 to $10 DLCs two to four times a year. Be that good or bad.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The first update prepared by Paradox Interactive and the new developers Double Eleven has been released:
It's Live!

Our first update from Paradox Interactive and Double Eleven is available now.

Patch Notes

4 new floor tiles and 4 new wall types added
Increased the number of foremen that can be hired for larger prisons where foremen also teach programs
Added new sprites for missing orientations to many items. Aiming to provide full set of rotations to all objects in the future
Added “Guard Response” button that allows players to immediately send existing nearby guards to a location, instead of needing to hire additional guards to deal with incidents
New “Tunnel Search” button that allows the player to have guards search all toilets only, for hidden escape tunnels
Additional Quick Rooms added to the Quick Build menu, for quicker and easier room construction
Following prisoners and staff has been made easier, you can now double-click on them to enable

Mod Support: Special thanks to badAim and Murgh for helping us identify this issue

New content is being added to a brand new tileset file
The current tileset.png has been made larger, allowing for more custom content

Known Issues:
We're investigating an issue where the game crashes due to the update. We'll update you as soon as we have a fix! UPDATE - we found the issue. Working on deploying hotfix

We also accidentally changed the size of the boilers. Hotfixing that as well!

UPDATE 2: hotfix is now live. Boilers and the crashing should be fixed. Please let us know if there are still crash issues
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New update: "The Slammer" Update is Now Live! Free Update Including New Content, Deployment Changes, and Bug Fixes

Changelog in spoiler tags:
Spoiler:
Changelog
• Deployment Overhaul:
  • o Deployment context presentation and visuals improved. Now you can see your prison!
    o You can now assign Armed Guards and Dog Handlers to patrols and zones.
    o You can now have 2 different intersecting patrol routes.
    o Patrol routes and zones can now be prioritized, to ensure your most important areas are manned first.
• New Items, Floors, Walls
  • o New Walls & Doors: Yutani Wall (Sci Fi), Visitor's Door, Secure Door (with a flap to deliver food trays to prisoners inside a cell), coloured Fence Gates.
    o New Floors: Mud, Grate, and Solaco (Sci Fi - goes great with the Yutani Wall).
    o New Objects: Table (Small) Bench (Small), Bleachers, Bush, Trees (Snowy Conifer, Palm), Lights (Flood Light, Street Light, Wall Light), Shower Pillar, Ironing Board (Small), Office Chair, Door Mat.
    o New furniture such as new chairs, short benches, short tables will fulfill room requirements.
    o New Jungle plot and Snowbound plot options added, to start a new prison on.
    o New Guard Pavillion towers are unlocked for players who sign up for a Paradox account.
• Keyboard hot-keys added for cycling through options in in-game item menus ([Z] and [X]), and for closing menus ([C]).
• Rotations for more of the existing objects and furniture that didn't have them (Workshop Saw, Press, Roadgate, Ironing Board, Altar, Bench).
• New Moving/Relocating Objects feature. Just double-click an object, re-position, and a Worker will do the rest.
• Staff and Dog names added.
• New Bureaucracy researched option. When starting a new game, you can begin with everything researched.
• Additional x10 game speed button.
• Filters and sort-by options added to the Objects menu.
• Metal detector searches now search both the inmate and the box they’re carrying.
• New context-sensitive quick “Add Doors” function, to any wall. Just double-click on a solid wall.
• Prison cleanliness mutator option "Reduce Dirt Build Up".
• Security Camera artwork now indicate the direction they're pointing.
• New quick menu links from the top HUD bar. Clicking on 'Danger', 'Days', 'Balance', Guards, etc. all launch various UIs.
• Clone tool region increased in size.
• Added code that will allow modders to specify menu sprites for any of their objects, enabling modders to attach any image to an object.
• The Mutators (menu) can now be accessed and adjusted mid-game. This is handy for players who wish to turn off/on Mutators in other player's prisons.
• Added Hedge rounded end pieces, and improved all hedges to look better with shadows and when doors are built on them.
• Ability to search for Objects via a specific room, in the Objects menu text box. E.g. type "Yard" to filter and show all Yard objects.
• "New!" yellow star icons now display for any newly added features.
• Prisoners & Staff can now be seen by CCTV cameras in Warden Mode.
• Logistics context presentation and visuals improved. Now you can see your prison.
• Fixed an issue where the Water Boiler was not connecting to water pipes (due it being damaged or moved).
• If you fire staff while the game is paused, only the first staff member that was clicked on will now be fired.
• Guards/Snipers in Guard Towers are now protected from the weather/rain (as if they were indoors).
• At shower time prisoners will now correctly prioritize communal shower rooms, before cuing to use another prisoner’s cell shower.
• The tooltip instruction for the Room Clearing functioning has been added to the Rooms Tooltip.
• When building Quick Rooms, Cell doors are now kept open until the room is completed, to allow workers to enter and finish the room.
• Doors are moved from the Objects menu and into the "Walls & Doors" menu.
• Fix: Moving electrical utility items will now spawn new wires.
• Fix: The correct Warden sprite shows in the staff reports screen.
• Fix: Certain advanced items are now counted in a Grant's requirements (e.g. Visitor booths instead of Tables).
• Snipers now carry Jail Keys, enabling them to get around the prison and into the Armory easier.
• The Bookshelf now caters to the prisoner's "Literacy" Need a bit. A green zone displays its area-of-effect.
• Guards operating certain stations will not participate (leave their station) in prison searches or Shakedowns.
• Guards will now open doors for separated dogs. If for example the dog's handler is killed.
• Added a Borderless Fullscreen Mode option, which is also changeable via the PDX Launcher.
• The Main Menu now included a page system for our dev updates. Allowing us to keep previous/older updates, and tell you all about the latest additions and improvements.
• Added a Screen Display option for players with multiple monitors, which is also hooked into the PDX Launcher.
• New screenshot mode available as a game option, in the Options Menu. Toggle On/Off by holding [H] and pressing [Enter].
• Fixed an issue where sprinklers were showing healing animation when triggered.
• Added support for PDX Launcher on startup
  • o Paradox Interactive's custom launcher is a simple tool that allows you to easily play any Paradox games or resume your latest save game. It's also allowing us to showcase new content, new updates, or other important messages about Prison Architect!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'd like the next release to be "In Space" so I can run a space prison and deal with alien prisoners.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:57 am I'd like the next release to be "In Space" so I can run a space prison and deal with alien prisoners.
There's a mod for that. OK, they don't have alien prisoners... yet :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or you could play Oxygen Not Included.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'll just have to get all three.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I loved me some Startopia. So much I bought it twice. Once physical. Once downloadable years later. Q3 2020 is too early to care
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:05 am Or you could play Oxygen Not Included.
I've had my fun with ONI but it was a learn to the toys fun. Once I got to the surface to start using a telescope, the fun of learning the toys was 'meh'ed by the annoyance of dealing with space debris. I should have been up for engineering that solution and making new toys but I wasn't. Maybe a DLC will change that later. I got my money out of exploring the game. $19, I think. It was fun to learn. But it's not something I'll go back to unless there are big content changes.

But most importantly, space jail need the best theme song.

Never cared for the show but watched too many episode just because I loved theme song.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New stuff! A free DLC Cleared For Transfer
Attention Wardens! Your prisoners have been cleared for transfer!

Prisoner Transfers
Prisoners can now transfer between sectors (or wings) of your prison. Requirements for transfer to a lower-security sector are entirely up to you.

Special Privileges
Privileges can be assigned based on the security sector, giving your prisoners a motivation to transfer. Prisoners in high security areas are able to see the privileges given to lower security sectors.

Room Grading
You can now grade other rooms, such as yards, classrooms, common rooms, and a new gymnasium.

Custom Security Sectors
Create areas with custom security sectors that can include prisoners from different security levels.

New Actions and Enhancements
You can initiate actions like shakedowns, tunnel searches, and lockdowns by security sector.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More new stuff! Cleared for Transfer and The Bucket Patch Notes. The article has more information on the Cleared for Transfer DLC plus patch notes for the new free update. The patch notes are rather lengthy so I won't copy them here. The Bucket update adds a gym and lots of other new content, plus fixes.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally a new, upcoming DLC, planned for release on June 11th. Discover “Island Bound” – the new expansion for Prison Architect!

This expansion will allow you to create Island Compounds with no access road. You will have to bring your logistics game to a whole new level with these prisons, as you need to use a variety of new tools to make sure they run as intended. From ferries to helicopters, you will be able to deliver supplies directly to docking areas, and to maximize efficiency by linking them to specific deliveries – but be careful, as this also means more access points to sneak in contraband into your prison!

Luckily, you will also have new security objects that will allow you to inspect deliveries and prisoners as they enter the prison, or at key security checkpoints. You will also have access to additional emergency services when things get out of hand. Air Firefighters, Elite Ops Teams, Air Paramedic – we made sure you have all the support you need when things take an unexpected turn.

Finally, you will have access to new tiles and objects to customize your island!

We know it has been a long wait since we teased this expansion at PDXCON 2019 – we are really excited to finally show you what we have been working on over the last few months!

If you want to find out more about the expansion over the next few weeks, remember to follow us on social media (Facebook | Twitter) and check our weekly streams on Tuesday at 15:00 CEST (6:00AM PDT) – we may show the new content over the next few weeks!

Island Bound’s Key Features:

Sea and Air:Upgrade your prison’s logistics with a variety of ferry and helicopter transport options that deliver supplies and inmates directly to docking areas around your compound. But be aware, there are now more access points to sneak contraband into the prison.

Chain Link Up: Maximize your prison’s efficiency by linking docks, helipads, and roads to specific deliveries. You can even toggle what services are available to each delivery point within your compound.

Supermax Security: New security objects make it easier to search deliveries and prisoners as they enter the prison, or at key security checkpoints. Additional emergency services can be called when things get out of hand, including Air Firefighters, Elite Ops Teams, and Air Paramedics.

Island Life: Customize your Island or Connected Island Plot with over fifteen nautical tiles and objects. Shape the land around your compound with moats, rivers, and lakes for security, or for style -- no access roads needed!

The Rock: Manage the world’s most famous prison with two premade maps: Alcatraz Prison and Alcatraz Island.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

They just keep pumping out new DLC for Prison Architect, even though it isn't being developed by Introversion anymore, rather it has been turned over to Double Eleven.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More on the latest DLC from PCGamesN, Prison Architect’s next expansion goes eco-friendly

Entire article:

Prison Architect has seen some creative ideas over the past year or so, and the third expansion takes things in another new direction. Going Green, which launches January 28, introduces agriculture and all the challenges that go with it, along with some new considerations particular to the prison setting.

At the top of the list is farming, a new type of prison labour. You can grow potatoes, wheat, apples, and other crops, and either use these as raw materials in your kitchens or sell them as exports. There are new rooms to accommodate the agricultural activity: orchards, fields, and vegetable plots outdoors, as well as pantries and sheds for storage.

Prisoners can work on your farming plots, and those who have a green thumb can grow flowers as a pastime – this will help improve their mood and give them positive recreation time. But you’ll have to watch out, since not everyone is in it purely for the love of nature: access to gardening means some enterprising inmates will find ways to brew booze, while others will stake out garden plots as gang turf.

Here’s the trailer:

Not green enough? Well, Going Green also introduces new renewable energy sources like solar and wind, and you can sell any excess energy you produce back onto the grid for a tidy profit – which is actually how it works in many areas of the United States in real life.

Alongside the paid expansion, Paradox is also launching a free content update called The Glasshouse. This adds a collection of new bits and bobs: there are new K9 units named Shepherd and Bowtie Bandit, plus new objects, quickrooms, and community improvements. You’ll also be able to install recycling systems and solar lighting, and several community-requested improvements have been made to the dump and demolition tools.

It’s another new round of upgrades and new kit for one of our favourite management games, so you’ll want to start preparing to add some greenspace to your institution right away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Very good article from PC Gamer, How happy can you make a single inmate in Prison Architect?
In Prison Architect, I'm always anxious when I'm done building my prison and the first inmates arrive. Have I forgotten something? Do I have enough of everything? Is this going to be a complete disaster? I'm feeling that doubly so today: I've spent ten game-days and hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a very special prison. A luxury prison. It will house a single inmate, and he's due to arrive in a couple minutes.

The idea here isn't simply to build a prison for one inmate and see what happens. As I explained in my review, the first time I had prisoners escape my prison it genuinely hurt my feelings. I'd been trying very hard to meet the needs of my residents, to keep them calm and satisfied, and when five of them tunneled out I felt betrayed and embarrassed that all my humane efforts had been for naught. With my new prison, I want to see if it's possible to make an inmate so damn happy and comfortable that he never tries to escape, never hits a guard, never busts up the place, and never breaks any rules.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I picked this up again for the first time since it was in EA many moons ago and played through most of the campaign that was new to me. I see it's now published by Paradox and is part of paradox style of DLC revenue stream. I also see there is a Prison Architect sale on Steam right now. So there is about $25 in DLC after sales for maybe half of it. Is any of this DLC worth adding to the game?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, I can’t give an opinion based on playing or owning them, but honestly - each one looks pretty superfluous to the base game.
Obviously just my opinion. I will say that the one that sorta caught my eye was the island dlc, but I’ve read that they didn’t implement the ferry well and its becomes and annoying bottle neck. /shrug.

But again, I’m just talking with you - not a real answer to your question.

The free Cleared For Transfer DLC is good to grab (if you already understand the base game and want some more things to do... but for a beginner may be a little too much at once)

And a long while back, I did by the Insane DLC (haven't played with it yet though)...

I should say that any of them look like they could add some fun to the game, but from the Steam reviews, some reviews speak of troubles I can imagine being accurate.