Diablo 3 Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: Diablo 3 Impressions

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:47 am So, I've briefly toyed with the idea of doing another seasonal run. I'm thinking wizard or demon hunter (I'd like to try necromancer, but don't own it.) Anyway, how are the sets for those two this time around?
Assuming you get the pieces you need, the DH set is pretty good. gilraen is pushing well past GR70 with her Marauder. I haven't used mine in a long time. She tried one of the DMO builds, but didn't like it. She was missing one or two pieces which probably had a significant impact. I haven't tried one of the DMO builds yet, but the Energy Twister one looks inviting. Maybe one of these times...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 pm I guess I got it right.

On a related note, Kadala finally managed to give me two more pieces. My kit is far from optimal, using the set weapon and ring of royal grandeur to get the bonus, but it's enough to get to torment tiers where legendaries actually drop. I've been running regular rifts increasing the difficulty after each one. I'm at T8 now and I should be able to go up a couple more levels with my current gear.
Well done. I had to look mine up.

I initially ran with the weapon and the ring of royal grandeur. It will definitely get you started. I did have to do some tweaking. I was running out of Fury constantly without the key weapon. I got around that some by running with Reavers Wraps. I think I also changed one or two of my passives. But you are correct that you probably won't get much past T10 without more of the required gear.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OK, yeah the IK set dungeon is stupid simple. :) I've done up to GR77. I am not sure I have much more in me for this season, which is probably good with borderlands 3 dropping in a few days. The last set of tasks to get the stash tab are kind of obnoxious. Now I know why I never even knew about it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

So this thread got me to try D3 again (I played it originally when it came out, got a Demon Hunter to 60, then 70 w/ the templar xpac; bought the necro xpac but didn't really play it).

Never really played season, but sounded like I might as well based on what I was reading. Was going to do Necro, but didn't know what skills I would like to use on anyone, saw the Demon Hunter set and those were skills I remembered - so went with demon hunter.

Story mode until I had achieved all the stuff for Chapter 1/2 that was in basic story mode towards the set (so long since I did story, it was fun to do again). Now doing Adventure mode, working on the chapter 3 bounty cache goals.

Most interestingly though, I killed some weird treasure goblin (except it wasn't called that) and opened up a vault. HOLY CRAP!!! Never seen one of those before! Instantly rich and tons and tons of... mostly crap, but several imperial gems at least. And that's just Torment 1 difficulty.

Can't wait to get another vault, on a higher difficulty. Upping it to 2 tomorrow (still need act 1 and 4, kill the Butcher and extract a legendary). Tempted to try torment 4 so I can start working on the chapter 4/final part for set, but doubt I'm that geared yet (being at best, an average skill player).

Should go check out those build sites. I remember Icy Veins (or whatever that was) from WOW days. Probably go there.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:17 am Most interestingly though, I killed some weird treasure goblin (except it wasn't called that) and opened up a vault. HOLY CRAP!!! Never seen one of those before! Instantly rich and tons and tons of... mostly crap, but several imperial gems at least. And that's just Torment 1 difficulty.

Can't wait to get another vault, on a higher difficulty.
You don't need a treasure goblin to get back to the vault. There is another option.
Spoiler:
Puzzle Ring in the Cube = Vault.
Bovine Bardiche in the Cube = Not the Cow Level
In the current season I have around 5 of each in the bank because I lost interest before I could be bothered to use them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What coop said. Except I have significantly more of each filling up my bank. I'd be happy to open you up a portal if you'd like. Just let me know.

Also, Icy Veins is my go-to for builds.

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Thanks gents. Not really familiar with either of those items, but I'll remember them if I see them.

Thanks for the offer Mix, but I probably won't play that much to be worth while. It was just a cool experience that first time and gives me something to look forward to finding again, help keep me interested in playing more. :)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Got the full 6 piece Demon Hunter set for the season. Asked in chat what I should do now to see the awesomeness. Torment 13 rift... but wait - do you have the complimentary gear? <No?> Stick to tier 10 then.

Plowed through things doing millions, even over 100 million damage regularly! Bad guys were dying fast and furiously!
Of course I was routinely one-shotted in return, failed to complete it before time rain out so I didn't get the bonus and had to repair my gear which was in a damaged state, twice.

Think maybe only Torment 8 or 9 for now.

For the record, I'd completed chapter 4 on torment 4 (required) and had no trouble (might have died once, but that wasn't a one shot).

So, try T8/9 rift, maybe try necromancer. Maybe just move on to another game now.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Most of the builds have a damage mitigation mechanic. For a significant number, that is reliant on a non-set piece of gear (ring, belt, bracers). So while the full set will generally allow you to seriously up your damage, without some additional gear, you become highly susceptible to one-shotting. To push even higher rifts, there are generally a couple pieces that boost your damage output (usually a specific weapon).

It can be a lot of fun getting it all together and working. But it's not the only thing. Especially if you don't have experience with all the classes. In that case you'd probably have more fun leveling/playing something else.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that getting your first character to higher levels will make gearing your other characters much easier. Between getting more legendary items, some of which may help your other classes, and being able to quickly collect blood shards that you can use to buy items, you'll find it much easier to get a second class a working set.

Also, remember that there are a few of us around that may be able to help you get gear on a second class by doing a few runs with you.

Black Lives Matter

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Tried a T8 or 9 (I for get which) with my Demon Hunter, much better. Only 2-3 deaths this time.

Then it was on to Necromancer (haven't really played it in D3, liked it enough in D2, fav class before the xpac). Still working on this one.

Thanks for the offer Mix, but I'm good just soloing and screwing around. :)

Question though - Season characters just become regular characters after the season is over. What happens to the Season Paragon levels with your regular paragon levels?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Season paragon experience just gets added to your regular paragon experience (since later levels take a lot more XP than earlier ones).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

gilraen wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 pm Season paragon experience just gets added to your regular paragon experience (since later levels take a lot more XP than earlier ones).
So the 80 or so levels I have in season will get my 60-70 regular p to like 90 or so. Got it. :)

Thanks Gilraen.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I've been playing a demon hunter this season and for the first time ever I found a primal that I can actually use! The Convention of Elements ring. It was my third primal that dropped. I was excited.

I'll be playing GR80's this weekend.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Season 19 kicks off on Friday. I think I'll give it another whirl. I played S17 as a barbarian, and played a witch doctor on the PS4 years ago when it first came out on that system.

This time I'm thinking wizard, demon hunter, or necromancer. Tell me about the necromancer - what's the playstyle?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:23 pm This time I'm thinking wizard, demon hunter, or necromancer. Tell me about the necromancer - what's the playstyle?
Legions of pets doing all the work while you go for a quiet stroll.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:08 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:23 pm This time I'm thinking wizard, demon hunter, or necromancer. Tell me about the necromancer - what's the playstyle?
Well, sort of. Though at higher levels you do have to direct them to get the most benefit. Assuming you are talking about a Skeletal Mage build. I think mine is using the Rathma set. I also have one running a Blood Nova build, but it doesn't do well at higher levels. I just like watching the waves of blood. :)

Though it looks like now using a Corpse Lance build is king. That or Legacy of Nightmares/Legacy of Dreams. Personally, I haven't tried putting together a build for either of those with any class. Too much of a pain to collect all the gear.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hmm. That doesn't sound as cool as I'd hoped, at least not for $15. I'll watch for a sale and maybe try the Necro in a later season. For me the draw is mostly the theming. I want a damned Bowazon!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

TheMix wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:45 am
coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:08 am
Well, sort of. Though at higher levels you do have to direct them to get the most benefit. Assuming you are talking about a Skeletal Mage build. I think mine is using the Rathma set. I also have one running a Blood Nova build, but it doesn't do well at higher levels. I just like watching the waves of blood. :)

Though it looks like now using a Corpse Lance build is king. That or Legacy of Nightmares/Legacy of Dreams. Personally, I haven't tried putting together a build for either of those with any class. Too much of a pain to collect all the gear.
Corpse Lance builds are criminally powerful. There is a piece of gear that shoots out two more corpse lances for every corpse lance you activate or something like that. It can absolutely wipe a screen of enemies with one or two shots.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I ended up rolling a monk. I'm having a lot of fun with him, despite it not being the sort of character I usually play.

On a whim, I decided to see what goodies I had hidden in my regular (non-season) stash. I played a barbarian two seasons ago, and had filled it up with quite a few good items. Imagine my surprise when I log in and see that it is completely empty. I thought that they transferred the seasonal character to normal mode at the end of the season, so I was confused.

It turns out that when they make the transfer they mail your stash items to your character, and those mails have an automatic 30-day time limit before they expire. Since I played him in the middle of the season, I wasn't even playing at the end of the season when this happened, so I had no idea, and was never notified in any way. The entire contents of my stash were deleted.

What moronic fuckwit at Blizzard thought that was a good idea?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I agree with the comment from the Randomness thread. This season's elemental attack "theme" is stupid. About all it's good for is scaring the heck out of me when I'm sorting through my inventory or setting my skills in what I think is a safe area.

Finally rolled the monk I threatened to two weeks ago. This will be my third seasonal attempt to get a monk to 70, the only class with which I've never done so (in any mode). Got a Leoric's Crown at level 5 which I guess is nice, even though it will be junk soon. Also, it's incredibly annoying to spawn a Gelatinous Sire in the spider caves where you're being slowed down by webbing. Not that the loot would be any good at this level.

But hey, I remembered to assign a follower and pet before level 50 this time, so that's a triumph.

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 pm It turns out that when they make the transfer they mail your stash items to your character, and those mails have an automatic 30-day time limit before they expire. Since I played him in the middle of the season, I wasn't even playing at the end of the season when this happened, so I had no idea, and was never notified in any way. The entire contents of my stash were deleted.
I realize this is like eight months later, but I'm sorry that happened to you. I could have sworn the 30-day timer didn't start counting down until your next login....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Whoever thought up Adventure Mode really redefined this game.

As if I planned it, I just hit paragon 200 clearing my first Torment X on this character. I lucked into the right pieces early to wear five pieces of one set (from the season reward, with Ring of Royal Grandeur) and two of another (that augment the same ability). I'm having a blast; but as usual, I'm looking at some of the latter season objectives and they don't look like much fun to try to achieve.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 pm Whoever thought up Adventure Mode really redefined this game.

As if I planned it, I just hit paragon 200 clearing my first Torment X on this character. I lucked into the right pieces early to wear five pieces of one set (from the season reward, with Ring of Royal Grandeur) and two of another (that augment the same ability). I'm having a blast; but as usual, I'm looking at some of the latter season objectives and they don't look like much fun to try to achieve.
Definitely depends on the class/build. I breezed through the season achievements with the Barbarian. But I would think some could be more difficult with other classes/builds. The Whirlwind build really helps with speed challenges since it increases movement and uses Rend to kill things; so you don't have to hang around to finish them off.

Which monk build are you running?

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, and let me know if you need help with any of the challenges. You probably can't do the 350 event kills solo. Though The Thrill and the gold challenge are both pretty easy to solo. The rift speed runs can be tough to do solo as well.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/SudyN ... /123895860

So just this month's start Sunwuko along with two pieces of Justice as well as legendaries that boost Sweeping Wind and Wave of Light. I'm working towards the builds on Icy Veins (Sunwuko Lashing Tail to start), and then will move into whatever else I find if I play that long. Some pieces have definitely been a breakthrough.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:54 am https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/SudyN ... /123895860

So just this month's start Sunwuko along with two pieces of Justice as well as legendaries that boost Sweeping Wind and Wave of Light. I'm working towards the builds on Icy Veins (Sunwuko Lashing Tail to start), and then will move into whatever else I find if I play that long. Some pieces have definitely been a breakthrough.
Interesting. I'm not familiar with the Justice set. That must be a new one. I thought I'd at least looked over the new ones, but I guess not. :D

I'm personally not a fan of the builds that have me moving through mobs to do the damage. They always feel too "fiddly" for me.

Wow, if you flipped those sets, you'd have great damage reduction/survivability. Most sets have the damage reduction stat as the 4pc bonus. But Monkey King has it has a 2pc bonus. The question then would be damage output. Hmmm...

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The legs and set pieces are starting to drop like candy, so I should be able to try it out soon. Honestly, I find myself more using Sweeping Wind for the damage buff and sniping with Wave of Light's Shattering Light rune more often than not to protect myself. (Which I know isn't how it's designed.) But if I lowered the difficult I bet I could run right through packs and kill them with its aura. At the moment I'm just having fun... I'll switch things up when I start to get bored.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:40 am The legs and set pieces are starting to drop like candy, so I should be able to try it out soon. Honestly, I find myself more using Sweeping Wind for the damage buff and sniping with Wave of Light's Shattering Light rune more often than not to protect myself. (Which I know isn't how it's designed.) But if I lowered the difficult I bet I could run right through packs and kill them with its aura. At the moment I'm just having fun... I'll switch things up when I start to get bored.
Having fun is the important thing! :)

I was looking at the High End build with the Justice set. There are some risky things in there! I'd definitely be going with some of the alternatives to simplify things. Honestly, when they talk about pushing GRs, they seem to be talking about really high level ones (i.e. 100+). I've found that most of the High End builds work just fine at the levels I like (i.e. ~70-75) even if I tweak them a bit. I tend to drop damage potential a bit for mitigation.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well, I think I'm ready to hang it up for the season. Hit Guardian for the first time ever. With the exception of teaming to do the XVIII neph rift within 4 minutes (had the speed but not the DPS), I did it all solo outside of random bounties. Thanks for your offer TheMix... might have taken you up on it if I couldn't manage the rest myself. (I generally play at odd hours.)

But, I don't find it much fun anymore when there are no upgrades to find outside of better rolls. Also, if I switch specs I don't think I could tolerate the downgrade in movement speed after running at 200% for so long. I thought I might pass my overall paragon level this season, but came just shy at 630. Hit GR 78 solo, which I think is a personal record. Probably have 85% of legs cubed... collecting all the 1Hs is hard. Not sure if they considerably sped up the progression since Season 10 or if I was just more efficient, but I only clocked about half as many hours (52 vs. 94) compared to my previous best seasonal character, a crusader. 75% or more kills, shards collected, and rifts/bounties completed too. I guess having a speed run build dropped into my lap helped.

It's nice, along with getting my final class to 70, I feel like I've "beat the game". I think I'll probably come back for a future season... this was my first since 15, and first I played deeply into since 13. I'd like to get a witch doctor to seasonal endgame... only class I haven't, as it was my main class I poured hours into back at launch. Also might like to do necro again. I hope the next seasonal theme is more interesting and less annoying.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

They have definitely improved the DPS output since Season 10. Which makes it easier to run at higher rift levels and Torment levels. Which gives more loot. Etc., etc. etc.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've now gotten a barb and DH to endgame in addition to the monk. (Endgame for me, anyway... meaning around GR 80 where things stop being fun, and most sets complete or enough DB to easily finish them if I wanted to.) I'm not really sure why I'm still playing other than momentum and it's an accessible way to scratch my gaming itch right now.
Last edited by Sudy on Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Upcoming season's theme looks more fun... a clone that spawns for 60 seconds and fights for you after using a shrine/pylon. This will make the legendary item that spawns elities at shrines/pylons especially useful. Plus, and perhaps more importantly, a fourth Kanai's Cube power slot.

I'm still playing Path of Diablo (private Diablo 2 server). I suspect that will be dethroned by WoW's pre-expansion patch though. But getting to know D2 deeply for the first time (I played but didn't finish a character when it first came out) and being able to contrast it with D3 has been interesting. Still a somewhat frustrating experience in that you're likely to hit a brick wall around Hell without trading items. Path of Diablo has a website trading system that seems like a really good idea, but a couple months into their ladder season and all the heavy players only want high runes, so it's hard for a new player to break into.

I've got a bowazon around 80 and a frenzy barb at 60 that just can't progress any further without getting some good drops or high runes. Starting a lightning sorceress now which is insane fun, but I suspect I'll need to give the game a break soon. Muling is also exhausting lol (though Path of Diablo does make the process a tiny bit easier).

Brian

Post by Brian »

Hadn't played D3 in years but now that the wife has gotten into gaming was considering buying her a copy.
So, to refamiliarize myself with the game and mechanics I fired up a game and started a new Demon Hunter.

....and ran her through completion of the game.

I'd forgotten just how much fun this can be.
I really do need to pick up a copy for the wife soon.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, you talked me into it. Been years for me too. Took a while to get the password straightened out but am downloading now. 2 gig down 14+ to go.
Should be ready by Halloween. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been wanting to replay but theres no character Im interested in. Ive maxed out and finished a sorc, dh, and necro. the rest dont interest me. And I hate replaying the same place with the same characters so I have zero want to do any seasonal stuff.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm just the opposite. I play the barbarian all the time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:48 pm I'm just the opposite. I play the barbarian all the time.
Since my goal the last half-dozen or so Seasons has been to complete the full season and pick up the stash tab, I've been sticking to Barbarian too. Extremely easy Set Dungeon. Makes it a lot easier to progress quickly.

Black Lives Matter

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think barb is my favourite class going back to D2. I just love the raw, giddy power. Yet I don't think I've ever played a whirlwind barb, it just doesn't seem as fun.

Though I also love the ranged classes, and witch doctor was my first love in D3 so it's a tough call.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:17 pm I think barb is my favourite class going back to D2. I just love the raw, giddy power. Yet I don't think I've ever played a whirlwind barb, it just doesn't seem as fun.

Though I also love the ranged classes, and witch doctor was my first love in D3 so it's a tough call.
Oh, it's fun. But it's not really a whirlwind barb any more. It's a Rend barb that uses whirlwind to BLOW.@#$%.UP!!!!

Easily the most powerful build I've run with to date. The only build that I've cleared GR100 on. And it wasn't a struggle. A bit tense, yes. But I didn't have to try it multiple times. I think I got to GR104 before I decided that I didn't really want to chase that rabbit.

The other thing that we (gilraen and myself) like about that build is that it's really easy on the hands. There isn't much button mashing. You just click and hold. Then use the mouse to control the direction of movement.

Black Lives Matter

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Things seem to have changed quite a bit since my last playthru. I now have a companion. Is this permanent?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yes, as in the Templar, Scoundrel, or Mystic. They're unlocked through the course of the story, and are there from the beginning in adventure mode. They were in the game since launch though?

If you mean pets, the non-combat followers that pick up your gold, you can collect different ones and also have one out at a time. I don't remember when pets were introduced. I don't think they were in at launch, but I could be wrong.