Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Post by Daehawk »

Ive decided not to do a ton of little single mods. Ill add some glowing ore and fire embers but Im not doing signs or snowflakes or bugs and crap. Im sticking to the big mods mostly. The one thing I need is a body mod. Ive decided UNP ..nothing silly like anime crap..just natural stuff....but I cant find the right one. Either theres a lot of one or there little of one...and with UNP I cant find the actual body mod. All I find is armor mods for UNP.

Also I started to remove that ENB...its just too saturated.....but its not an 'installed' mod. I had to copy paste it over. So Im afraid Id mess the entire thing up removing it. Lucky there is a hotkey to just turn it off and on. Now if I can resist turning it on.

EDIT: Well all was fine whe nI went to bed. Just now clicked downlaod a mod and my mod manager says its not set up to work with Skyrim..yet it is and was fien a few hours ago. Looking at it it even shows my mods installed. Maybe if I rescan for games.

EDIT2: NM..was on normal Skyrim page and not Skyrim SE
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ive been out of the Skyrim modding game a year nearly. Other than me just grabbing whats in the top mods list would anyone like to toss out some mod ideas for me to use or look at? Stuff liek top 5 must haves or some fun ones or graphics or betterment mods? Silly mods? Stuff you found you really liked.

Or maybe even mods to avoid at all costs due to being crap or crashy? I would thank you all for these.

Lastly if you do know a nice mod plz let me know if it requires another mod with it or anything. I have been having some troubles in the past due to grabbing a great mod yet not know it needed something else to either work or work right. take a beauty mod I got once. it looked great in pics but in my game it never looked right or good. turns out I was supposed to grab a hair mod or a mesh mod or something with it and didn't know about it.

Modding is more like a job than a hobby it seems.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Play Enderal.

I thought it was a much better story than the Skyrim's.

It's basically playing a new game with some familiar art assets.

And it gets you playing rather than fiddling with mods.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Sometimes I'd like to get back in to FO3, Skyrim, or FONV to try out new mods (specifically some of the bigger new lands or quest mods) but I really never want to replay the begining of the game. Total overhauls like Enderal are they only way to go.
morlac

Post by morlac »

This is my list below plus a few houses and dungeons. This is for the vanilla version so keep that in mind but these all play nice together. My big suggestion is to keep it simple and once you got what you want and its stable stop adding and just play. Not having SKSE (some of these require it but most don't) would be a deal breaker for me but your YMMV. The list below adds tons of weapons and Armour, adds carrying capacity via cool Bandoliers, potion packs etc (they look fantastic, might be my favorite mod)you can craft. Revamps the combat and magic spheres making it more challenging and magic more viable without breaking anything. Plus better animations. Combined with the new leveling and perks it makes an excellent progression of power. Add some quality of life things and then you sprinkle in all the immersion stuff (lighting, textures, weather, sounds etc.)and it blows the doors of the SE version ;)

Immersive Armour
immersive weapons
Immersive creatures
New Bard Songs
Sounds of Skyrim - Civilization
Sounds of Skyrim - Dungeons
Bandolier - Bags and pouches
Cloaks of skyrim (its cool but clipping issues, i could do without)
Deadly combat - Lite
VioLens - a kill move mod
Realestic Water 2
Alternate start
Cutting room floor
Skyrim community uncapper (need for other mods)
Immersive patrols
Wet and Cold
Wearable lanterns
Apocalypse (magic overhaul)
Skrim Flora overhaul
Skyrim HD 2k textures
Static mesh movemont mod
XCE - Xenius character enchancement
Populated lands roads (this may be conflicting with immersive patrols, still testing)
Climates of Tamerial
Deadly dragons
Ordiantor Perks of Skyrim
Realestic lighting overhaul
Unoffical patches (i use the legendary version as its all in one)
A Quality world map
Better dialogue controls
Better message box controls
Sky UI
Auto unequip ammo
Ehanced Blood textures
Footprints
Glowing ore veins
HD enhanced terrain
Immersive Saturation boost (i like better than full enbs, little performance hit, simple install)

Good luck!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some there I will look into. Already use a few also. Been planning to use the sounds of skyrim one too. Thought it was pretty cool.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im seeing that on some mods I need to wait to install because it includes compatibility patches for other mods......mods I plan to install later but haven't gotten to yet. Im not sure how Id work it to install say sounds of skyrim then later add a mod then need the included patch in this one. Maybe Id have to uninstall the sounds one then reinstall. Hassles.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I strongly recommend not mixing and matching mods once you've started playing. Take and old save and use it to experiment with mods until you get a set you want, then start a game from scratch and leave the mod list alone.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What Ive been doing is adding 2 or 3 mods. Starting the game and testing to see if all is well. Then I make a quicksave then a standard save and do 2 or 3 more mods. After about 9 mods like this I copy the entire game folder from Steam to a backup folder. I have like 4 now.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:22 pm Im seeing that on some mods I need to wait to install because it includes compatibility patches for other mods......mods I plan to install later but haven't gotten to yet. Im not sure how Id work it to install say sounds of skyrim then later add a mod then need the included patch in this one. Maybe Id have to uninstall the sounds one then reinstall. Hassles.
This is why you need to plan out your master list and not just wilie nillie it and start adding what looks cool. That will break your game very time. You must check compatibility on every mod and pick ones that play nice and then install in the correct order. A lot of times it's an either or thing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spent a few more hours modding and came to a decision. Instead of simply grabbing a body replace like UNP or CBBE Ive decided to grab a couple. One is WICO that replaces all npcs with better looking ones. Not a babrbie body or a anime face..just a simple better looking people that aren't potatoes. And second I am using the Warmaidens mod. I installed it earlier and then I find WICO. Im not sure what to do here. Im thinking in my mod manager turn off Warmaidens then install WICO then reinstall Warmaidens and run loot and be sure warmaidens load second. Warmaidens only replaces the warmaidens of course and not all npcs like WICO but I want to be sure and keep the warmaidens as they are in the warmaidens mod.

EDIT: Forgot...found a nice mod for guys called Pumping Iron....ya old Arnold call back. As you play your body and muscles improve graphically VERY slowly over the length of the game. Works on females too it says but its much more subtle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there some way to make a list of the mods I have installed using either LOOT or NMM? I cant seem to copy paste the list. Wanted to post a list of the mods I have installed so far.

Never mind...figured it out as you can tell :)

This is LOOTs load order it chose for me.....

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 ApachiiHair.esm
7 7 SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
8 8 Dolomite Weathers.esp
9 9 IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
10 a RealisticWaterTwo.esp
11 b dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
12 c dD-No Screen Blood.esp
13 d skyBirds_SSE.esp
14 e EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp
15 f Inigo.esp
16 10 EmbersHD.esp
17 11 SofiaFollower.esp
18 12 Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
19 13 Footprints.esp
20 14 WICO - Immersive People.esp
21 15 LIAT - NPCs.esp
22 16 DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp
23 17 UnreadBooksGlow.esp
24 18 Ars Metallica.esp
25 19 Improved Eyes Skyrim.esp
26 1a Improved Eyes Skyrim - Vamp.esp
27 1b Improved Eyes Skyrim - Serana.esp
28 1c WICO - Immersive Character.esp
29 1d WICO - Immersive Dawnguard.esp
30 1e WICO - Wild Hunt Gears.esp
31 1f Recorder Follower Base.esp
32 20 Convenient Horses.esp
33 21 Beards.esp
34 22 PumpingIron.esp
35 23 Bijin NPCs.esp
36 24 Bijin Warmaidens.esp
37 25 Bijin Wives.esp
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Madmarcus wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 pm Sometimes I'd like to get back in to FO3, Skyrim, or FONV to try out new mods (specifically some of the bigger new lands or quest mods) but I really never want to replay the begining of the game. Total overhauls like Enderal are they only way to go.
Or not I guess :D

I updated some of my mods yesterday and started a new character. I'd never really been a magic user before so I'm going to see how long I can go without wielding anything other than bound weapons.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I plan to go bow and light armor...but I always plan that. I usually think that then end up with a giant sword and heavy armor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got tired of that enb stuff for color and ripped it all out. I was very afraid it would tear up the game but deleting it all but it didn't. I made a backup in case it did :)

Now Im considering Claralux.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... ?tab=files

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grabbed this too...seems very handy.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... ?tab=files
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With Claralux i have a LOT of settings to do later. Theres a whole map area to go to near Whiterun that lets you change and set all the lights in the game. Amazing.

Im not sure what did it but the color is better now too. Guess I wont have to search for a color mod. And Im not bothering with interior. If I dont mess with stuff much more I wont have to go back to installed mods and rerun them to configure for the new mods lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trying to decide to keep my Dolomite Weather or switch to Vivid Weather. I dont want a washed out glow on things.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I kept dolomite. Much better visuals I think.

Flip flopping on to use Wet & Cold or not. I like the breath mist and a lot of stuff. I dont like cloaks or the frost covering people.

I really want and need SkyUI it seems. My normal Skyrim menu simply lists mods and gives me zero control of them. As I recall SkyUI lets me check boxes for mod options in it. But for SkyUI to work I need SKSE.

Can anyone post a way to install SKSE ? I cant figure this one out and last time I tried I messed my entire install up. I think I can do SkyUI if I get help with SKSE. Thanks.

EDIT: NM seems to be a simple copy / paste. Shall see. Now to get skyui and its widescreen fix
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For the first time in a long time I have both SKSE and SkyUI installed and working flawlessly. its a beautiful thing. I had to use the widescreen fix on it. I could not see the icons to switch between inv tabs at the top without it. now Im set in that department. :)

Enlarge Image

New little problem. The new engine and even a mod were supposed to have torch and candle smoke. They dont. Its a small thing but it adds a lot to the immersion of the game. But after I installed the mod my lights now have a horizontal glow to them. Worse is on animated glows such as fires the banding crawls from bottom to top. like an old tv rolling the vertical. You can see the banding in this static pic but imagine that rolling from bottom to top on all fires. Unless I find a fix for this it seems Ill be stuck without smoke on flame sources.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm after testing its not the candles / torch smoke mod causing this. I found a snippet of this mentioned in the Embers HD mod but it wasn't that mod causing it either. ive turned both off and still have ti. Most agree in the Embers HD thread that its 2 other mods that cause this but I dont have either of those installed haha. I was considering one of those... Enhanced Lighting FX but maybe not now. Shall see. Guess Ill live it with after all. Just hadn't noticed it because because I wasn't staring at the fires around town because I wasn't testing them with any mods.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres some really nice looking interior mods that change stuff around like EEKs stuff especially and Distinct Interiors but Im afraid to use one because so many other mods do their own thing with interiors. Like the mod I love to use for inns where it increases people and such (lively inns and taverns) would conflict because the npcs would be getting stuck on everything this stuff adds. Shame too.

Still considering some of the EKK stuff. Whoever that is makes some amazing mods.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Speaking of interiors Ive heard of this Skyrim radioactive. its a pick and choose interior mod. Not sure its for SE or not. Ill link a video and look into it tomorrow. Im tired.

Off hand...im considering playing as an orc but only if theres a change in the ways NPCs and such treat you or react to you. Otherwise I'm Nord again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still today Im considering the EEKs stuff. Looks great Im just not sure how much it will conflict with other stuff like livelier inns and taverns and player homes like Breezehome.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... mods/10463

Ive added some new bard music, random chickens, skeletons, more flowers and trees, and cats and dogs along with others. Getting it nice. Still need to adjust all lighting. The mod is installed just too lazy to go do it all.

Latest working load order and mod list.

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 ApachiiHair.esm
7 7 SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
8 8 Dolomite Weathers.esp
9 9 IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
10 a dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
11 b dD-No Screen Blood.esp
12 c Footprints.esp
13 d WICO - Immersive People.esp
14 e DiverseDragonsCollectionSE.esp
15 f UnreadBooksGlow.esp
16 10 CLARALUX SSE.esp
17 11 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
18 12 Eli_Breezehome.esp
19 13 EMCompViljaSkyrim.esp
20 14 skyBirds_SSE.esp
21 15 Dogs-of-Skyrim.esp
22 16 Inigo.esp
23 17 Blowing in the Wind SSE.esp
24 18 Cats-in-SkyrimSSE.esp
25 19 waterplants.esp
26 1a EmbersHD.esp
27 1b SofiaFollower.esp
28 1c Ars Metallica.esp
29 1d Improved Eyes Skyrim.esp
30 1e Improved Eyes Skyrim - Vamp.esp
31 1f Improved Eyes Skyrim - Serana.esp
32 20 WICO - Immersive Character.esp
33 21 WICO - Immersive Dawnguard.esp
34 22 WICO - Wild Hunt Gears.esp
35 23 Beards.esp
36 24 PumpingIron.esp
37 25 Bijin NPCs.esp
38 26 Bijin Warmaidens.esp
39 27 Bijin Wives.esp
40 28 ChickenVarietyKILLABLE.esp
41 29 Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
42 2a LIAT - NPCs.esp
43 2b Recorder Follower Base.esp
44 2c Convenient Horses.esp
45 2d Prometheus_BeastSkeletons.esp
46 2e Blowing in the Wind - SMIM Merged All Patch SSE.esp
47 2f CLARALUX SSE - USSEP.esp
48 30 SkyUI_SE.esp
49 31 widescreen_skyui_fix.esp
50 32 STAC.esp
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have 4 armor and clothing mods to install. It looks like a few will require XPMSSE skeleton....I really distrust this thing. Its probably me but I could swear its messed up my modding installs more than once. And why would a skeleton body mod require an idle animation mod be installed first?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still working but my mod config menu in game is not showing all the mods I can tweak in there. I have maybe over 50 mods installed but the in game mod config panel only shows 5 mods. Why is it not showing everything and what can i do about it?

Like now I installed a mod I know have a config menu to use in game ..i see a pic of it on the mod page even....but in game nothing is there to use. Whats going on?

EDIT: Thanks to a post I found online I think I fixed it...partly or all I cant tell. More are showing up now. Not a ton though. Guess all dont have menus.

I typed this into the console to force it to load them or reload them.
setstage SKI_ConfigManagerInstance 1
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You know..I think Im almost ready to play for realz. Just need to check for any mods to add and such. right now Im going to look up the change weight carry command. I like to carry like 5000 or more in these games. In fallout 3 I just replayed it was 15,000 lbs and I reached it right near the end of the game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hi folks! Although I played the heck out of Morrowind years ago and Oblivion on the X360, I never got into Skyrim on the PC. However now I have some free time and I'm thinking of picking it up. I searched Steam and found two entries, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at $19.99 USD and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition at $39.99 USD. For someone like me who is just starting out in Skyrim and who won't probably be doing a lot of mods, is there a suggestion of one over the other, aside from the obvious price difference?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The special edition improves some of the visuals although a lot of people think that you should just mod the older edition to achieve the same end. It also includes all of the DLCs. I like Dawnguard, I never play a character far enough to really worry to much about Dragonborn, and the third one only matters in that you might need it if you were running mods as they tend to need it. Finally, SE should be more stable and have fewer poorly optimized areas that lower the frame rate but I can't tell if either of those is a real change as I seriously upgraded my computer between my original Skyrim run and my newer runs on the special edition.

I like mods that add new content (new quests, new lands, and total overhauls (Enairim)) when replaying and I hate hassling with visual mods. To me the SE was great since I got it for free - it gives me a better visual and the slightly more limited modding scene keeps me from trying to use an older mod that might not play well with newer versions of other mods.

If you aren't planning on modding I'd go with the special edition for the DLC and better visuals but it depends on bad you feel paying that much for an "older" game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Madmarcus wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:03 pm The special edition improves some of the visuals although a lot of people think that you should just mod the older edition to achieve the same end. It also includes all of the DLCs. I like Dawnguard, I never play a character far enough to really worry to much about Dragonborn, and the third one only matters in that you might need it if you were running mods as they tend to need it. Finally, SE should be more stable and have fewer poorly optimized areas that lower the frame rate but I can't tell if either of those is a real change as I seriously upgraded my computer between my original Skyrim run and my newer runs on the special edition.

I like mods that add new content (new quests, new lands, and total overhauls (Enairim)) when replaying and I hate hassling with visual mods. To me the SE was great since I got it for free - it gives me a better visual and the slightly more limited modding scene keeps me from trying to use an older mod that might not play well with newer versions of other mods.

If you aren't planning on modding I'd go with the special edition for the DLC and better visuals but it depends on bad you feel paying that much for an "older" game.
Thanks, that's good info :wub:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That pretty much sums it up, although unless you have an older system, performance won't be an issue with either one out of the box.

The long and short is that if you want to add more than a couple of mods, go with the original. If you want to play and not mod, go with the SE. Out of the box, the SE runs better, has fewer bugs, and looks better. Since most of the best mods were out long before the SE hit the shelves, though, most of them simply aren't available for it. You may find experimental versions of some of the big ones (like SKSE), but they're far less stable.

If you like to mod, though, get the original. With just the unofficial patches it will be more stable and have fewer issues than the unmodded SE. With a full mod job, it will look better than the SE (not to mention the customizations and content!) It's just more work to get it there.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I am running 70 mods on the SE. including most of the major ones, weather, scenery, weapons, armor etc etc etc and it runs great..
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also about the same. I have noticed there are some mods Id like that aren't on the SE that are on the original. Other than that np.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't say that there weren't mods for the SE, I said that a lot of the biggest/most important ones are not, or are in an 'experimental' phase. SKSE still isn't considered to be in a stable public release state yet, and a lot of the most popular mods are built around it, including nearly every interface mod and mod configuration menu. So the point remains - if your intention is to make significant use of mods, stick with the original.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I wouldn't go quite that far. I have 134 mods running in SE with a complete overhaul of perks, and significant changes to races, shouts, magic, crafting, and survival. Some mods have slightly awkward configuration methods via powers or books and I don't have any real interface mods but it otherwise there are mods for everything. There are fewer total overhaul mods but even with some of the issues in vanilla Skyrim I don't think I'd recommend starting a first character with a complete overhaul mod.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

BTW Blackhawk I'm not trying to pile on you. You are absolutely right that there are some great total overhaul mods for original Skyrim. I guess I'm just undecided on how important they are when starting in Skyrim.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So far im ok with SKSE and SKYui and some other skeletons and such that need SKSE.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Usually I ad tons of mods and the quicksave and save are all fine during testing. Then when I fire the game up for real the wheels on the wagon in the intro are flying all over the place and the wagon is upside down and shit. Thats there I usually delete it. But this time it seemed fine. Seemed.

I think my dragons mod is messing up the intro. After I make my guy its supposed to behead the one guy then my turn and the dragon roars then lands and attacks which leads to my escape and the start of the game proper. But that sombitch is just flying around and flying and flying and never lands. The headsman is standing thee with his axe back waiting but the dragon is no cooperating.

I will try to reload and fix it. Failing that I will have to turn off any dragon mods and see if that will get me past that intro part.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Restarting the game cleared that problem. These 80 mods or so have really made it look and feel great. Immersive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres me......
Enlarge Image

And some nature......

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

I really love how Ive gotten it looking and modded up.