BioShock Infinite - from Irrational

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: BioShock Infinite - from Irrational

Post by YellowKing »

The only silver lining in an otherwise dreary checkpoint save system is that before you quit, the game will tell you (with a detailed time stamp) where the last autosave occurred. This saved me from losing 15 minutes of progress last night.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

YellowKing wrote:The only silver lining in an otherwise dreary checkpoint save system is that before you quit, the game will tell you (with a detailed time stamp) where the last autosave occurred. This saved me from losing 15 minutes of progress last night.
That's actually brilliant. Most checkpoints happen pretty seamlessly and almost invisibly (what you mean you didn't see that little tiny semi-transparent icon spinning at the lower-right corner for a half a second?!), so it's awesome that they tell you how far back the last one was. BRILLIANT!
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well I played a good 3 hours last night and got to one of the first big plot points and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

True Columbia isn't quite as fascinating as Rapture, and true the save system is a little irritating, but on the whole this game is amazing. I think I spent an hour alone walking through the first section, taking screenshots and looking into every nook and cranny. The things they do in the first hour of the game with lighting, fog, and water are astounding.

I'm also enjoying the combat more than in the original Bioshock games. They've added a recharging shield mechanic that works really well to encourage slightly more thoughtful play, and the powers I've gotten so far are pretty strong and have multiple uses.

Edit:
Oh and I think it's safe to say this game had me fully in it's clutches the moment that barber shop quartet flew up and starting singing
Spoiler:
The Beach Boys "God Only Knows" :lol:
Jag

Post by Jag »

Any need to play B2 before this? I played Bioshock and liked it, but Bioshock 2 made me nauseous.
whispa

Post by whispa »

Jag wrote:Any need to play B2 before this? I played Bioshock and liked it, but Bioshock 2 made me nauseous.
I played the first Bioshock but never played the second even though I have it. metacritic gave it an 88 score so trying to hold off buying Infinite but it's getting very tough to not just buy it :?
zinckiwi

Post by zinckiwi »

I generally hate checkpoint save systems but it really comes down to implementation (looking at you, Borderlands 2). Done right, (i.e. frequently and with transparency, like BI seems to have) I actually appreciate not being able to serially quick-save. Adds an element of danger I usually limit when left to my own devices.

I've played every Shock. Looking forward to jumping in tonight :)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Discovered another problem with the save system. One save limit. So much for showing off sections of the game or letting someone else play on your account. :x
zinckiwi

Post by zinckiwi »

Lordnine wrote:Discovered another problem with the save system. One save limit. So much for showing off sections of the game or letting someone else play on your account. :x
Wow, okay. That's asinine.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

On the other hand, dying doesn't restart you back at a checkpoint, instead it puts you back at the beginning of the encounter with less money, half health, and any enemies you haven't killed yet with some regenerated health.

It still is sloppy though.

Oh and pay attention to the music. They do some interesting things with it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've put in a couple of hours now, and I agree that it is a brilliant game.

The parallels to the original Bioshock games are obvious - from a high level you could almost call this a really fancy re-skin. However, they really polished everything up to the point it's just pure fun to play. Everything just screams AAA title - the dynamically changing score, the AI, the level of detail, the jaw-dropping scenery, etc. If Bioshock feels like a senior term paper, this feels like the masters thesis - same principle, just bigger, better, and more mature.

The skyline/skyhook mechanic is a blast - really gives you the feeling you're on the brink of danger and gives them ample opportunity for little hidden areas that you could potentially zip right past. I've found myself really taking my time and searching every nook and cranny for money, goods, and other little hidden gems.

I saw a suggestion in the news feed on Steam about playing it on Hard difficulty, so that's what I did. I had read in some reviews that the game is a bit easy on Normal, so I figured I'd bump it up and see how it goes. So far it's been challenging without being frustrating - the challenge mainly being in the fact that you lose money when you die. That REALLY hurts when you're saving up for a new vigor!

I also agree that Columbia is not as immediately as interesting as Rapture (it has a very strong theme-park vibe to it which takes away a bit from the "authenticity"), but I do like the fact that they opened it up and let some sunlight in. After the gloom and darkness of two Bioshock games, it's a breath of fresh air to be out in the sun. And of course, there are enough shadowy buildings and weird automatons to give you a taste of Bioshock's creep factor.

Highly recommended, whether you are a seasoned Bioshock veteran or a newcomer to the series.
RMC

Post by RMC »

YellowKing wrote:I've put in a couple of hours now, and I agree that it is a brilliant game.

The parallels to the original Bioshock games are obvious - from a high level you could almost call this a really fancy re-skin. However, they really polished everything up to the point it's just pure fun to play. Everything just screams AAA title - the dynamically changing score, the AI, the level of detail, the jaw-dropping scenery, etc. If Bioshock feels like a senior term paper, this feels like the masters thesis - same principle, just bigger, better, and more mature.

The skyline/skyhook mechanic is a blast - really gives you the feeling you're on the brink of danger and gives them ample opportunity for little hidden areas that you could potentially zip right past. I've found myself really taking my time and searching every nook and cranny for money, goods, and other little hidden gems.

I saw a suggestion in the news feed on Steam about playing it on Hard difficulty, so that's what I did. I had read in some reviews that the game is a bit easy on Normal, so I figured I'd bump it up and see how it goes. So far it's been challenging without being frustrating - the challenge mainly being in the fact that you lose money when you die. That REALLY hurts when you're saving up for a new vigor!

I also agree that Columbia is not as immediately as interesting as Rapture (it has a very strong theme-park vibe to it which takes away a bit from the "authenticity"), but I do like the fact that they opened it up and let some sunlight in. After the gloom and darkness of two Bioshock games, it's a breath of fresh air to be out in the sun. And of course, there are enough shadowy buildings and weird automatons to give you a taste of Bioshock's creep factor.

Highly recommended, whether you are a seasoned Bioshock veteran or a newcomer to the series.
Darn you YK, I had almost convinced myself to return this. But over the years, I have found I like almost all the titles you like. So oh well, I already bought it, so I will keep it and I am sure I will enjoy it even with the silly save point system.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I happy to hear that people didn't get burned with a preorder and that it's enjoyable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

RMC wrote: ...I am sure I will enjoy it even with the silly save point system.
If not, at least YK makes a convenient scapegoat. :lol:

This is a must buy for me but I'm going to wait on it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

Well my preload finally finished up by lunchtime today (started it this past weekend, heh), dang my dsl is so slow. What's odd is that Steam showed it downloaded way more than the 15 gig planned on (well over 20?). New Nvidia drivers installed and I am ready to rock and roll when I get home. I couldn't resist firing up the first sequence (for science!) and damn this is a pretty game. Going to restart from the beginning tonight to give it proper attention.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
RMC

Post by RMC »

Got home. Installing the game..3 DVD's. Wow... It says it is going to take 1 hour.. sigh...
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Holman

Post by Holman »

The RockPaperShotgun treatment of B:I avoids the hype and still finds a solid winner.

I really love the idea of a game where the story and the setting are as compelling as the action. Bioshock (1) may have been the last action game that really did this for me.

Still, I'm holding off. I just can't drop $60 on a game right now.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Very solid game. I am enjoying it a ton. Have not even gotten to where you find the girl yet. But boy is it entertaining. I think I missed some stuff at the beginning, as I did some stuff too quickly.

I hate the save system, but I can kind of get past it, but a full save system is really a much better use of the PC then this silly system they have now.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The game picked up for me quite a bit after finding Elizabeth; she’s a really charming character.

That said I still can’t get over the lack of save anywhere. At least a half of dozen times I have avoided doing something I wanted to do because I didn’t want to have to reload the area. That is a horrible restriction in a game that encourages exploration.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, I have been really reluctant to do some things because of the save system. I am guessing it is my hangup, but I spend time wondering when the next save point is, and I think that takes me out of the game a little. <shrug>

It is fun, but boy do some of the baddies have a long range when it comes to shooting, and I have a very short range.

However, I like the pacing of the game, and it seems to dole out weapons and powers in a fairly balanced way. The default control scheme seems to work for me for the most part. The melee attack button of V is a little hard for me to use, but the jumping to the skyline, is painless, and fun. I can't wait to get deeper into the game, where this will be a little more used(or I hope it will).

Overall, the few hours I have spent with the game have been fun and absorbing, so I am really enjoying it. As long as it keeps up the current information and pace, I can see myself really loving this game despite the save system.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Guess I am not far enough in to understand why people are reluctant to explore. I have gone back over a zone several times looking for what the key was for and it seemed small enough that the checkpoint didn't affect me in any way
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ya the checkpoints is a non-issue for me. I just play the game not worrying about OMG I have to save!!! It does it for me and it saves often enough that it's not a problem. I think people just freak out, just to freak out.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Judging from some of my achievements I'd say I'm closing in on about halfway through the game and I'm still loving it. The combat and the setting are absolutely amazing this time around, but I'm also impressed by the many different ways they reveal small story elements that over time paint the picture of what Columbia is really like. Reading things on signs, overhearing conversations, recordings, movies, events, etc. Really a clever way to convey lots of back story without drowning the player in walls of text.

Strangest thing to happen so far:
Spoiler:
I found a strange red portal in Finkton that when I got near it I could hear Creedence Clearwater Revival through. :shock:
naednek wrote:Ya the checkpoints is a non-issue for me. I just play the game not worrying about OMG I have to save!!! It does it for me and it saves often enough that it's not a problem. I think people just freak out, just to freak out.
+1 It's a non issue for me as well. And once I figured out it saves the game whenever you zone it got even easier.
RMC

Post by RMC »

The real issue with me, is that I have three little kids, and sometimes have to stop, like right now. Not hit esc and leave the menu up for 2 hours while I do other things, but exit the game and go do other things, and leave the computer open so others can use it if needed.

<shrug> It's not a game killer, but it is something that I need in most games to improve my enjoyment based on my limited play time and environment I game in.

I have lost playing time already over it, and the little time clock is nice to tell me how much I am losing but I can't change that I have to stop at that moment because my last save was 30 minutes ago. <shrug>

Also, I have no idea if the next checkpoint is in 5 seconds or 30 minutes. So if I had the ability to save anywhere, then it would work better for me.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh, it's always my preference too. Just didn't quite understand the impact on exploration and wanted to get the reasoning. I get yours as I have a 2 year old to watch. Luckily my PC is mine alone so I can leave things paused as long as I need
naednek

Post by naednek »

ya I see your point. I have two kids and alot of times I'd pause it and hit alt tab and come back to it later. Which explains why I have 800 hours in farcry 3 :D I think I would see the outrage if the checkpoints were so far apart, but this isn't the case, and when you die it pretty much puts back at the same place where you were minus some $$$
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

When it comes to checkpoints they bother me because I want to stop playing the game exactly when I want to stop playing. Hunting for the next check point takes me completely out of the experience and encourages me to rush through the game as fast as I can.

I also have a hatred of backtracking, replaying something I’ve already done or not being able to test the outcomes of my actions. Like early on I wanted to see what would happen if I killed an NPC. I wasn’t satisfied after I did so I had to reset the checkpoint which set me back about 10 minutes.

I later received the message that bad things can happen if you steal. Despite wanting to see what would happen I haven’t done it because I don’t want to reset my game if I don’t like the outcome. Things like this really grate me because it means I can’t play the game I want to; instead I have to play the way the developers wanted.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lordnine wrote:Things like this really grate me because it means I can’t play the game I want to
Sure you can... you just have to live with the consequences of your actions. :P

Besides which I know the area you're talking about with the stealing, and there's a few zone borders about 30 seconds away you could have used to save and then try it.

I get that it's a hassle, I get the argument about wanting to quit at any time, but otherwise I think you're really reaching.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Sepiche wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Things like this really grate me because it means I can’t play the game I want to
If I can’t see how things will play out I become very anxious and often spend more time watching alternate actions on YouTube before making my choice.

Having only one save and not even being allowed to decide where it is is like taking nails to the chalkboard of my enjoyment level.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Sepiche wrote:

Besides which I know the area you're talking about with the stealing, and there's a few zone borders about 30 seconds away you could have used to save and then try it.

I get that it's a hassle, I get the argument about wanting to quit at any time, but otherwise I think you're really reaching.
I am amazed by this game and have really enjoyed playing it so far. So much that I stayed up to 3 am last night, heh. But I in particular find the one save limit ridiculous and yes would much prefer moving away from checkpoint saves.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
skystride

Post by skystride »

Elizabeth is great. I think the best part in the game so far has been right before you physically meet her. That thing that happens made me go holy crap out loud.
Spoiler:
the first time she opens a rift, and was that Tears for Fears music playing?
Something you rarely see in games, Elizabeth's skin is not flawless. You can see some pimples in close ups.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

skystride wrote:Elizabeth is great. Something you rarely see in games, Elizabeth's skin is not flawless. You can see some pimples in close ups.
I read that they actually delayed the game for some reasons last year, and she was a large part of it. They dedicated a team of people to her and their orders were to make her perfect for the game, and others were ordered to make sure she got the resources she needed from them. They even considered leaving her out simply because they didn't want her in if they couldn't do her right.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
naednek

Post by naednek »

skystride wrote:Elizabeth is great. I think the best part in the game so far has been right before you physically meet her. That thing that happens made me go holy crap out loud.
Spoiler:
the first time she opens a rift, and was that Tears for Fears music playing?
Something you rarely see in games, Elizabeth's skin is not flawless. You can see some pimples in close ups.
You should play the new tombraider. As time goes on, and as she piles on more injuries you start seeing scratches, bruises, dirt stains on clothes, and much more. It's really impressive.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The sound is so cool in this game (and there are enough audio "easter eggs") that this is one of the few games I won't play while watching television. I typically catch up on TV shows while playing games, but for this one I pop the surround headphones on and give it my undivided attention.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

YellowKing wrote:I typically catch up on TV shows while playing games
This is not human. I cannot even conceive of such madness.
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Looks great but it is chocking the heck out of my 2.5 year old rig.

Also, I started the game sorta late at night and only wanted to play a bit (before beddy bye) but when I quit the stupid (not silly) check save system said my last save was over 35 min ago. It was time for bed and just had to eat the time. The stupid save system knocks this game down a few notches, regardless of how good it will turn out to be.

BTW, if I would have known about the check save system, this would not have been a day 1 purchase.
AKA: Dajjer
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Holman wrote:
Daehawk wrote:
Enlarge Image
We've come to the point where I don't know whether this is a pic of the human or the game model. If she's real, she looks kind of CGI.
I honestly don't know whether it's a good or bad thing that cosplay is now a viable profession.

I think at that point it becomes coswork
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
skystride

Post by skystride »

Elizabeth bugged out on me. So I had to play with an invisible Elizabeth for 15 minutes until I finally got to a checkpoint where I could restart the game. It was either that or lose half an hour of progress.

One minor complaint, couldn't they have gotten a few more voice samples of whimpers and some of the dialog ("don't follow me")? It's weird to see those repeat until you hit the trigger point particularly if you are taking the time to enjoy the scenery instead of running straight to the trigger point.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Captain Caveman wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I typically catch up on TV shows while playing games
This is not human. I cannot even conceive of such madness.
+1M
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

heh I never thought I'd say this, but I'm with YellowKing. :)

I usually turn off music and listen to TV, podcasts, or audiobooks while I play games since I think most in game music is repetitive and dreadful. But some games like BioShock require complete attention and with such a great soundtrack and excellent reactive music it's easy to do in this case.