Minecraft Multiplayer!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: Minecraft Multiplayer!

Post by Sepiche »

Could be about anything honestly... the server code still has lots of little bugs like that from what I've seen.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Not sure if its even possible but could you turn on sheep so we could get some cloth?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lordnine wrote:Not sure if its even possible but could you turn on sheep so we could get some cloth?
Nope, not at the moment. As far as I know the only thing I can turn on is monsters, but they would be invincible. :P

I think there are admin commands to spawn items though. I've been thinking of adding some chests to the towers near the spawn for people to place excess items they don't mind sharing in, so I could try spawning some cloth and putting it up there.

I'm trying to keep things on the server less crazy than a full on creative server, but since we can't get wool any other way at the moment I don't mind trying to spawn some.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Can we prune the server world back a bit or something to cut back on the performance problems?
I'm special!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

After spending time and research to get my iron doors/levers to work and learning that change in light causes the world to update it seems like the biggest performance problems are caused by tree fires. Because they constantly check to see if anything flammable is touching them they cause a major performance hike.

And if anyone wants to see how to make iron doors work in this version check out Chris and my castle. There is a door on the right face of the castle at the bottom. Pull the lever to go in.
Varity

Post by Varity »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Can we prune the server world back a bit or something to cut back on the performance problems?
I'm not sure how big an improvement this would bring, but it might be worth a try. Sepiche?
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Can we prune the server world back a bit or something to cut back on the performance problems?
Have you played with your viewing distance? Just moving down one notch from the longest distance made a huge difference for me on the laptop.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Perhaps a lumberjack brigade to hunt down those burning trees and eliminate them with axes?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sepiche wrote:I'm trying to keep things on the server less crazy than a full on creative server, but since we can't get wool any other way at the moment I don't mind trying to spawn some.
Excess coal would also be useful for those of us needing to forge large amounts of stone for building projects. :ninja:

I kind of like the balance between creative server and working single-player survival. So much so that I'm kind of dreading mobs going active. It's nice to have to work for your materials yet not tussle with mobs when you don't feel like it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Speaking of mobs...I found some on the OO server tonight! :shock:

I was mining down deep and I head a funny sound so I started mining towards it. The next thing I knew a bunch of skeletons ran out of the hole I had just made and started bumping into me. Once they had run away I went inside and found a couple chests filled with items like bowls, string and leather. Right on the other side of the room I also found a giant underground waterfall. Overall it was the highlight of my mining expeditions.

If you need coal feel free to raid my storage, I probably have 10+ stacks. Check the chest on my first floor castle and if not there go down the first flight of stairs and look for a sign that says Dead Fall. It will drop you to the bottom of my mine and there is another storage chest there.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

ChrisGrenard wrote:that giant burning forest way off on the left side where nobody is at.
I went on expedition to the big forest fire today:

And put it out:

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Varity wrote:
I'm not sure how big an improvement this would bring, but it might be worth a try. Sepiche?
The Penny Arcade server saw a marked performance increase by trimming their world map to a perfect square. They had a ton of tendrils of terrain poking out in various directions from people venturing out exploring, even though there was little to nothing built in those areas.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I now have a very successful cactus garden on the right side of my castle. If you want to borrow some help yourself.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I have one (a cactus garden) near the spawn point too. Feel free to take cuttings.

I have removed 3/4 of the cacti to improve performance. It seems to impact like fire (though checking adjacent to damge rather than set fire.) I had several client crashes with livestock that spawned when I was working on the garden pagoda (which took a long time).
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

We can give it a try.

I can probably dig it up, but does anyone know of any threads or pages that explain about how to prune the map data?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I have one (a cactus garden) near the spawn point too. Feel free to take cuttings.

I have removed 3/4 of the cacti to improve performance. It seems to impact like fire (though checking adjacent to damge rather than set fire.) I had several client crashes with livestock that spawned when I was working on the garden pagoda (which took a long time).
I also had a few crashes when I walked near the cactus garden, before I was over there I had no problems.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

AWS...your mine is one big maze isn't it? I tunneled into the bottom of it but I haven't a clue how to get up into your structure areas. I just see endless tiny winding tunnels and torches everywhere!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lordnine wrote:AWS...your mine is one big maze isn't it? I tunneled into the bottom of it but I haven't a clue how to get up into your structure areas. I just see endless tiny winding tunnels and torches everywhere!
Pretty much, yeah. Most of it is natural cavern, plus some spaces that I carved out, often shoveling out gravel or dirt but leaving the stone intact. There's only one exit -- up the same shaft you came in, on the ladder.

Feel free to dig your way to freedom if you're lost. :)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You should burrow down and help out! There is about 5 virtual miles of perfectly straight 3x3 tunnel and then it reaches the bottom of your mine and it turns into :grund:

:P
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

We probably don't need to prune the map data. Its loaded/unlaoded in chunks. I think we need to minimize burning logs and cactus.

I modified the cactus garden to keep animals from spawning (removed all grass several spaces from the fence) and they have quit spawning in there and lag got a lot better in that area.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Looks like the server just crashed.

Can you setup a script and cron job to check once and hour and then reboot the server if nobody is connected? (assuming it times out connections)?

Alternately, you can just restart the service/daemon if that will recover the memory. If detection is an issue - you can force a reboot every 6 hours regardless of condition. Or, if the server is virtualized, perhaps you could have the hypervisor detect inactivity or memory usage and rebot the box.

Also, did you implement the JAVA memory optimizations that they suggest for ruining the server? They are just command line options for launching the minecraft server executable.

EDIT: I never even asked if you had a dedicated server... duh.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Lordnine wrote:You should burrow down and help out! There is about 5 virtual miles of perfectly straight 3x3 tunnel and then it reaches the bottom of your mine and it turns into :grund:

There is now a seekrit entrance/exit, increasing your opportunities for escape by a whopping 100%!
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Any chance we could get a new map update? I've made a big addition that can only be seen from space, and I want to make sure it looks right.
I'm special!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote:
Lordnine wrote:You should burrow down and help out! There is about 5 virtual miles of perfectly straight 3x3 tunnel and then it reaches the bottom of your mine and it turns into :grund:

There is now a seekrit entrance/exit, increasing your opportunities for escape by a whopping 100%!
If you go in the seekrit entrance (on the plateau above my home -- take the cliffside stairs up and look for the sign), you can ride an epically long waterfall down to nearly the bottom of my basement.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Did you finish taking the tour after you had to leave? I'm pretty happy with my mini version of Khazad dum and a lot of the little things we've added to our mine/castle.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Any chance we could get a new map update? I've made a big addition that can only be seen from space, and I want to make sure it looks right.
Yeah, plus my new tower is under construction and doesn't show up on any known maps at this point.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If anyone has excess stone that they've just been junking I would appreciate it. I set up a storage chest on the left side of our castle front step. If you don't know where we are head northeast of the spawn point. I've actually laid a stone path from the spawn to our front door.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Awww, the server crashed. :(

I found a big ass cave too. I'm not exaggerating when I say I had to make torches twice! This place is huge. I tunneled my way into it after making an improvement to my base requiring the use of glass block. I didn't plan my exit strategy very well though and got lost.

The Mega Cave has a very cool main waterfall, 2 or 3 small springs and a pool of lava. And a lot of gold. Well not anymore. :)
I left a sign near a workbench in the cave in case anyone ever stumbles upon the Mega Cave.

Lordnine and Grenard were slowly tunneling their way to me but ran into the ocean and I think an underground lava spawning ground. Then the server crashed.

I could just dig out of this giant cave, but I have a feeling I'd be coming up right under the ocean.

The incredible vastness of this game world continues to astound me.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Our castle tunnel system now goes to both AWS and to Archinerd! We've also completed our outer wall system, along with a cool space photo item to the upper left of our castle. I hope it turns out, since from the ground it looks like a collection of just torches and sand.
I'm special!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I stayed up way too late working on my waterfall trophy room. 3 am is not a good bedtime for a Sunday night.
At one point I took a break from building to go and explore the new tunnel from Chris & Lordnine to me - there was a big cave they plowed right thru on their way to me, so I headed into the depths. After only 2-3 torches into the blackness I heard some nasty creature just ahead. Scared the crap out of me. Turns out it was a zombie. Being a big sissy I ran away and walled him off. I went back later but he was gone. It's probably worth checking out, there may be some mossy bricks in there. Anyone is free to have a look.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Archinerd wrote:I stayed up way too late working on my waterfall trophy room. 3 am is not a good bedtime for a Sunday night.
At one point I took a break from building to go and explore the new tunnel from Chris & Lordnine to me - there was a big cave they plowed right thru on their way to me, so I headed into the depths. After only 2-3 torches into the blackness I heard some nasty creature just ahead. Scared the crap out of me. Turns out it was a zombie. Being a big sissy I ran away and walled him off. I went back later but he was gone. It's probably worth checking out, there may be some mossy bricks in there. Anyone is free to have a look.
Monsters can't hurt you in multiplayer (for now, at least -- I think this is going to change in a future build).
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

AWS260 wrote:
Archinerd wrote:...Turns out it was a zombie. Being a big sissy I ran away and walled him off. I went back later but he was gone. It's probably worth checking out, there may be some mossy bricks in there. Anyone is free to have a look.
Monsters can't hurt you in multiplayer (for now, at least -- I think this is going to change in a future build).
I know, but it was late at night and he scared me. His big green blocky head with that blocky blood thirsty grin.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

If anyone wants obsidian, gold, or mossy stone for your ornate architectural designs, feel free to take it from my stash. As long as you use it to make something awesome-looking, I'm happy to give it away. As those who have visited my basement/maze of insanity know, I'm not big on design features.

Note that I've used a bit of my obsidian, gold, and moss to highlight the entrance to my base. You can take this, too -- just plug up any holes you create with rocks or dirt or whatever.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

This is one of the waterfalls in the lava caves between Lordnine/Grenard's place and mine.
The minecart route thru here is going to be sweet!
Enlarge Image
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

AWS, Chris/Me, Fraum and Archinerd are now all connected by an easy to follow cavern network. The plan is to eventually have every location connected by the powered steam carts so we have a true train network.

We would like to add additional people to the network so if you would like to join the Underdark Railroad please let me know and state your location on the world map. My only request is that you burrow down to bedrock and make sure that it is easy to navigate from the bedrock to the surface of wherever you are.

Also, even though the trains aren't running yet there are some very interesting sites along the network and is worth a look if you don't mind a long walk.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Lordnine wrote:AWS, Chris/Me, Fraum and Archinerd are now all connected by an easy to follow cavern network. The plan is to eventually have every location connected by the powered steam carts so we have a true train network.

We would like to add additional people to the network so if you would like to join the Underdark Railroad please let me know and state your location on the world map. My only request is that you burrow down to bedrock and make sure that it is easy to navigate from the bedrock to the surface of wherever you are.

Also, even though the trains aren't running yet there are some very interesting sites along the network and is worth a look if you don't mind a long walk.
yah its nice down there, finally logged in back after long hiatus and did some sight seeing, and you guys did a great job. I even got lost for a moment, underground network is pretty huge.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If you stick to the main paths and follow the signs they should be pretty easy to follow. The paths are mostly straight lines except for where Chris and I encounter lava or water. Probably my favorite place is almost exactly half way between AWS and the castle; I have a bridge going over a huge river of lava. Spent quite a bit of time getting the look just right.

Also, I checked out the LCD screen tonight. Very cool. Any plans to run the "wires" to a central point at viewing distance? And it's a very nice demented acorn.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Yep. I've been toying with the redstone simulator to see if I can transfer any of my thoughts to a working design. Not too much luck, just yet.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Man, building an underwater tunnel is slow going.