Must-have Oblivion/Fallout mods? June 2010 Edition.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sudy

Must-have Oblivion/Fallout mods? June 2010 Edition.

Post by Sudy »

Hey! Don't curse at me. You knew someone was going to create this thread now that Steam has finally put the GOTY editions of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 on sale. I just thought I'd save us all the trouble and take one for the team. And yeah, I know there are about 46,000 threads out there already. But with the possible exception of the Morrowind ones, those are all muddled and grossly out of date by now.

For everyone's benefit, I'll try to organize the pertinent questions:

1. What are the best general mod sites out there?

2. Do any up-to-date mod packages exist right now? E.g. POOP for Oblivion, or the OO Morrowind collection? Did anyone ever put such a thing together for FO3?

3. a) What, in your opinion, are the must have basic mods for Oblivion (i.e. ones that don't drastically change gameplay)?
3. b) What, in your opinion, are the must have "crazy go nuts" mods for Oblivion (i.e. ones that totally overhaul the game or specific systems)?

4. a) What, in your opinion, are the must have basic mods for Fallout 3 (i.e. ones that don't drastically change gameplay)?
4. b) What, in your opinion, are the must have "crazy go nuts" mods for Fallout 3 (i.e. ones that totally overhaul the game or specific systems)?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Debris

Re: Must-have Oblivion/Fallout mods? June 2010 Edition.

Post by Debris »

I've been replaying FO3 the last few weeks and here's my very short list of mods that I think make the game a much better experience:

Fallout Mod Manager - FOMM allows for easy management of of mods, including the order of installed plugins, while providing many tools for those who want to get their hands dirty and do some low-level work with modding Fallout 3.

Fellout - 200 years since the bombs fell and somehow everything is tinted green? Fellout changes all that. Fellout gives a harshly lit world more reminiscent of the Sahara Desert, though due to popular demand, (and if Enhanced Weather is installed), some areas of downtown DC will have rain.

GNR -- More Where That Came From -If you are tired of hearing "Let's Go Sunning," this is the mod for you. It adds between 20 and 100 new songs to Three Dog's Playlist using a special version of PimpBot's excellent GNR Extender Mod. Also, thanks to PimpBot's meddling, on average you will hear 6 songs before Three Dog cuts in again. It also retains the original songs instead of replacing them.

MTUI -Essential UI adjustments for Fallout 3: smaller fonts, larger item selection areas, improved conversation menus, etc. Designed for screen resolutions of 1024x768 and higher.

These are the only ones I use, so they really haven't changed the game much, just made it better looking and better sounding.
Black Frances

Post by Black Frances »

I borrowed heavily from a response to a similar question I put up on Gaming Trend. It's from mid-April this year, but they are the same mods I'm still using.

For your Question #1 for FallOut3, I'd recommend Fallout3 Nexus - http://www.fallout3nexus.com/" target="_blank.

I had Fallout 3 at release, and played about approx. 1/4 of the game. I got bored, other games came out, and shelved it.

After playing some recently well-modified games (Stalker SoC Complete, for one), I ran into the FOOK website for FO3, and decided to check it out. Very glad I did, as the mods I settled on made FO3 much more enjoyable my second time through. I'm at about 50 hours (now 80 hours, as of 6/10), and going strong. Here's what I did.

For your Question #2 --> I FOOK'd the game, using version FOOK2 1.0. I believe a FOOK2 1.1 was recently released in the last few days, but am doing great with what I have loaded. I believe the new version of FOOK2 incorporates mods I already have loaded and that are apparently working through a large part of the game (Fellout, Street Lights, etc.) - however, I'm sticking with what has been working for me the last 50+ hours and calling it good. This is the OOO of Fallout3.

For Question's #4a&#4b -->
MOD's (and tools) that I have up and running successfully through 21 levels, w/all official add-on's (and in order of importance to me):

FOMM -> The Fallout Mod Manager, very handy utility that allows optimization of module loading.
Fallout 3 Script Extender - "FOSE"-> Helps with scripting of the mods, and helped clear up a few issues I had originally had with the other mods before using.
Large Address Aware Enabler for FO3 -> Link can do a much better job explaining the benefits than me, but worth checking out.
CASM -> This is a mod that allows for automated, configurable saved-game functionality that has come in really handy. Accessible via the Pipboy, this has been a real game-saver for me, as I have had issues with corrupted save files in the past. Haven't had a problem with saves since CASM. Worth checking out.
FOOK2 -> A mod that changes quite a bit, too much to list, but there's not a FOOK2 change made that I have had a problem with. Combat is more challenging, new weapons fun and balanced, and other changes that made the game more enjoyable than my first time through. I went with FOOK2 1.0, as that was the version available when I started modding, though worth mentioning that a newer version has just been released. This is the Obscuro's Oblivion of Fallout3.
Mart's Mutant Mod -> Great mod that has tons of features you can turn on and off, specific to adding new monsters, controlling the # of spawns of certain types (Ghoul-Fest!), etc. Very well done.
The Beauty Project HD -> The directions were somewhat daunting, but once I dove into the PDF that came with the mod, I had it up and running in no time. TBP provides an awesome overhaul of graphic models for all the characters. Check out the link for examples, but very very detailed and cool looking.
More Where That Came From -> For flavor, added a mod that provides 100 new songs that fall in line with the limited music found in vanilla. If you only want to use one mod/non-game impacting mod, this is the one to get. Great music selection.
Fellout -> Fellout is a massive texture and weather changer. I have personally enjoyed the massive changes to the game world it has provided, but it obviously a matter of taste. The link has some images that capture the before/after. I can't imagine going back to the 10 shades of green, but each his own. One thing to note that the nights are a lot darker with Fellout - so make sure you have a good Nightvision mod to aid your midnight Wasteland strolls.
Street Lights -> Cool streetlights mod that works well with Fellouts darker nights. There's also a 2nd mod out there, linked on the streetlight download site, for Wasteland Lightening. I have 'em both loaded, and think it works well with Fellout.
Realistic Night Sky -> I like slinking around the Waste at night, and this change provides an almost photo-realistic night sky, bright with stars and constellations.
Modified Night Vision Mod -> There's a lot of 'em out there, but I settled on this one. It's a bit spendy - $4k at Moira to get up and running, but I really like the way the modder did the lightening (the bright version).

Sorry this was so long, but have really enjoyed the game once modded. Hope some of this helps.

(BTW, just finished up most of Point Lookout addon - was a lot of fun! Great job with the added content)

My loadout order, with no issues to date->
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CALIBR.esm
Project Beauty HD version.esm
FOOK2 - Main.esm
FOOK2 - [WANK] World And Neighbourhood Kit.esm
FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
StreetLights.esm
GalaxyNewsRadio100[M].esp
FOOK2 - Main.esp
FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esp
FOOK2 - [EVE] Energy Visuals Enhanced.esp
PB FOOK2 - Main.esp
PB FOOK2 [DIK].esp
FOOK2 - Mothership Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2 - DIK.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Spawns.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Feral Ghoul Rampage.esp
PB MMM HD.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout MMM.esp
Fellout-Full.esp
Fellout-BrokenSteel.esp
Fellout-PointLookout.esp
Fellout-Zeta.esp
StreetLights - Wasteland.esp
Fellout-pipboylight.esp
HZ_PNV_BRIGHT_ENG.esp
CASM.esp

Total active plugins: 40
Total plugins: 70
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Strangely I've been modding both FO and Oblivion quite a bit lately.

For Oblivion you can still find Poop out there on the torrent networks and if you use all the mods that come with it, it works great. Most of those files are even still up to date. I think I added a mod to adjust the game's magic, but otherwise Poop worked well.

For Fallout the list above is a good one. The only thing I would mention is that I think the latest version of Fook includes Street Lights and Fellout automatically, but I might be remembering that wrong. Also if you download the very latest version of Fook be sure to turn off the Wank and Eve files as those are now built into the main Fook file.
Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

I recommend using a caravan improvement mod, so that caravans don't get killed off or at least have enough firepower to survive enemies at higher levels. The Upgraded Caravan Merchants modification allows you to improve their abilities by investing in them, and they level up as you do, so they can match up with the local critters.

There is a number of radio stations you can listen to if you download them. I am currently checking out CONELRAD, which is an emergency broadcasting system, which happens to include a number of DOD informational announcements about the red menace. Existence 2.0 is an electronica-themed station, run by a robot. There is also "More from where that came from", which significantly expands the GNR lineup.

Finally, a house modification might be very useful to the kleptomaniacs among us, in that they can have many storage containers. Some even include a means for auto-sorting, which is very handy if it works right.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Are there any issues with the Steam version of Oblivion and the big mods (like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul)? I seem to recall something about the Steam version not accepting a modded .exe file or something. Or was that just Fallout 3?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Not sure here. I know a specific issue was the .exe employed by Direct2Drive, which wouldn't allow the use of the Fallout Script Extender (FOSE). Something similar might be the case with D2D's Oblivion? As for Steam, I haven't heard of any incompatibilities, but perhaps someone else can chime in.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paul Roberts wrote:Are there any issues with the Steam version of Oblivion and the big mods (like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul)? I seem to recall something about the Steam version not accepting a modded .exe file or something. Or was that just Fallout 3?
I don't think I've tried obsuro's, but all the other mods I've tried worked fine with Steam. If I recall you'll need to make sure you follow the instructions to install a special Steam version of the script extender, but otherwise I think you're safe.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Here's a niche question inspired by AjD's separate thread in which he desires to go through Oblivion toting an AK-47, or something. :P

Are there any mods out there that limit the gore in FO3? Okay, let me preempt your responses: Yes, I know it's bloody Fallout. And I realize it's an M-rated game. No, I don't expect my gun to squirt rainbows. But hey, the last time I played Fallout, it was a sprite-based, isometric, turn-based RPG. That actually had options settings for gore and profanity. Cut me some slack, okay? I don't have a problem with more cartoony gore, and I'm not petitioning the government to revoke your right to blow ghouls' heads up. I would just feel more comfortable playing this game in front of sane people who don't enjoy seeing their avatars bathe in tubs of mutant blood if I could dial the splurts down a notch.

Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Here are a few of the smaller mods that I think improve Oblivion. I'm not familiar with any of the mod compilations like POOP so I don't know if these are included or not.

First, I think the Water Reflection Blur mod is fantastic. The blocky distant water reflections have always been the biggest eyesore in the game in my opinion, and this mod does a nice job of eliminating the problem by simply blurring them instead.

Some people may not like it, but I think it's a vast improvement. The downside is that it eliminates the rippling when you walk through the water, which is a shame. I almost never use 3rd person camera though so it's not a big deal for me. It also makes the closer reflections a little blurrier as well, but I think it's well worth it.

DarNified UI is absolutely essential, of course. The default user interface for Oblivion is quite bad and this mod is an enormous improvement.

Similarly, Elven Map Redux replaces the ugly brown default world map with a beautiful full color alternative.

Natural Environments changes quite a bit so I'll just let you read the description.

Menu Escape goes a long way towards solving what I think is the biggest interface problem in the game (after DarNified UI has been implemented of course) which are the annoying menus that can only be closed by clicking the confirm dialogs. This makes simple tasks like selling lots of items much more of a hassle than it should be. Instead of clicking on an item to sell and then having to move the mouse to the Sell button every time, now you can just click on the item and hit the right mouse button (or space bar) to confirm the action.

OnHit Shader Replacement is a mod that adds a neat little shader effect to the screen whenever your character gets hit. It comes with a variety of them, but I think the basic "Border Blur" is the best. I find this mod makes combat a bit more visceral. It also almost made me shit my pants when I was sneaking through a dungeon and I triggered a dart trap.

Better Fog Color simply changes the blue tinted fog to more realistic gray tinted fog.

Let There Be Darkness turns off the ambient lighting in dungeons so that unlit areas are actually dark and torches actually have a use (imagine that). You could combine this mod with a Drop Lit Torches mod, as well. This allows you to automatically drop a lit torch on the ground when you draw your weapon which will light up the surrounding area so you're not fighting in the dark. The particular mod I linked is a modified version of the original. This version makes the torches a little brighter while also adding weight to them (1 pound as opposed to 0 pounds).

Raindrops and Snowflakes Replacer replaces raindrops and snowflakes with - what I think - are nicer looking alternatives.

Extended Death Camera suppresses the load screen that pops up immediately after you die. Not a huge deal, but I prefer this.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Can anyone summarize the options for gameplay mods that reduce or eliminate the opposition leveling with you? Perhaps it isn't as bad as it is made out to be (I didn't mind Morrowind or FO3) but leveled loot everywhere and bandits with full glass armor strike me as very bad.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks for everything so far.

Two other special requests:

- Best general texture replacer mod for Oblivion? (Maybe there's such a thing for FO3 too, but I'm thinking Oblivion needs it more.) Is Qarl's still the way to go, is there something better, or do you think one is even required?

- Best "slow leveling" mod, for both Oblivion and FO3? I like to take my time and do everything, so I imagine one of these would be invaluable. Again, I'm open to contrary opinions.

ericb

Post by ericb »

Oblivion texture mod: I use Qarl's Texture Pack 3 - Redimized as the primary texture fix. It's ver 3 of Qarl's fixes (which are amazing by themselves) that have also been fixed and optimized to run better.

http://www.elricm.com/nuke/html/index.p ... s&lid=4210

For a total revamp including slower leveling I'm in the process of trying OOO (Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul). I tried (and really liked) Francesco's overhaul but it started causing crash to desktop almost as soon as I started using it. I've screwed around with load order (using Oblivion Mod Manager and BOSS), started a new game, only loading certain fixes, etc and I still get a random CTD about every other time I load a game or die.

I'm running the GOTY edition (all official patches) from Steam, all DLC and Qarl's pack as a base.

EDIT: After a couple of days I can safely say that Obsuro is much more stable than Francesco and probably a little more comprehensive as well. It's also hard as hell and you will die a lot and level a lot slower. But I've had no corruption, no crashes to desktop and no crashes when loading or exiting the game. Stability is great, Install pretty much requires OBSE and OBMM (and a lot of time) and it is a huge resource hog (I get some hitching and save games load slower but I do have everything maxed at 1920x1200 so I can live with it).
Last edited by ericb on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Somewhat related question - but having completely installed/modded/started fresh game of Oblivion 3-4 different times now (each on a new build of my computer) I am wondering if anyone out there has successfully transferred their modded game to a new computer. I made a complete copy of my Oblivion folder with all installed mods before I built the new computer. My plan (which I have not had time to execute yet) is to install the base game, patches and all expansions. Then copy/paste the main game and my games/etc. folders from the backup copy. Anyone succesfully do this? Any pitfalls? I really would like to finish a game/character, but I tend to take a long time and tend to upgrade computers fairly often.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Black Frances wrote:I borrowed heavily from a response to a similar question I put up on Gaming Trend. It's from mid-April this year, but they are the same mods I'm still using.
<snip>
My loadout order, with no issues to date->
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CALIBR.esm
Project Beauty HD version.esm
FOOK2 - Main.esm
FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
StreetLights.esm
GalaxyNewsRadio100[M].esp
FOOK2 - Main.esp
PB FOOK2 - Main.esp
PB FOOK2 [DIK].esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2 - DIK.esp
PB MMM HD.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout MMM.esp
Fellout-Full.esp
Fellout-BrokenSteel.esp
Fellout-PointLookout.esp
Fellout-Zeta.esp
StreetLights - Wasteland.esp
Fellout-pipboylight.esp
HZ_PNV_BRIGHT_ENG.esp
CASM.esp

Total active plugins: 40
Total plugins: 70
I have tried to follow this list fairly accurately since your playtime would indicate a stable setup, but there are some differences that I will post since some of the names have changed. My game would fail to start until I moved some of the mods. Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and will have to post later.

Thank you for this list. It will be my first playthrough.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Black Frances

Post by Black Frances »

Hey Buatha,

Ya, I now see that copying from my previous post in April is burning me a bit.

I know that some of the mods (FOOK2, for example) has changed/been updated since I loaded it up - and believe Sepiche is right in that the latest FOOK 2 released incorporates some of the other mods I had previously had to load up separately (Fellout, Street Lights). Also, mods that may have worked swell with my version of FOOK 2 may have gone to hell with the latest version of FOOK2 - not sure about this, but wouldn't surprise me that other loaded mods that were modified to work with a previous FOOK 2 version, may require (and not get) a revision to work with the latest version of FOOK2.

It's a shame, as my load-out has been working with zero problems for me for months now. All I can suggest is to look at each mod, and make sure that the latest versions of them inter-work with each other.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Hey, it's no problem. I was just letting folks know that if they follow this list, they may have an issue as the names have changed and I had to guess a little since the names didn't quite match up.

The ordering is no big deal. It seemed to get hung up with the Project Beauty mod mixed with FOOK2. Once I got their order straightened out, I was able to get things running again. I'll post everything once I get home and finish getting that GNR mod.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

So, I'm not really sure about the ordering, but I'm including my list here based on Black Frances recommended mods:

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CALIBR.ESM
Project Beauty.esm
FOOK2 - Main.ESM
FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.ESM
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
FOOK2 - Project Beauty.esp
FOOK2 - Main.esp
FOOK2 Main [Hotfix].esp
FOOK2 DIK [Hotfix].esp
FOOK - DIK - Project Beauty.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp
Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp
HZ_PNV_BRIGHT_ENG.esp
CASM.esp

Total active plugins: 34
Total plugins: 51

For the Project Beauty mod, there is a file (CaSO Project Beauty.esp) included in the FOOK2_patch-6341 that kills the game at startup no matter where I put it, so I'm not sure what it's for. Unfortunately, the main site that has the readme/setup guide isn't working for FOOK 2, so I may be missing something.

FYI, it seems that Fellout is now part of the FOOK 2 package as well as the street light mods according to this link:
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2187815/3876110/" target="_blank

Finally, I've one one hard crash of the game, but it's still too early to tell if it's the mods, the ordering of the mods, or I missed some installation step. It seems there is some ordering that is important for Project Beauty and FOOK2, but the FOOK2 site seems to be down or experiencing some issues.
Black Frances

Post by Black Frances »

Checked status of FOOK2 1.1 Beat 1 over at Fallout3nexus.com, seems their site has been out of commission for about 2 weeks. However, still looks like the mod is being actively worked on.

NEWS (06/14/10):

Meh. 15 days of downtime of our site :( Dont know what to say to you, guys. Our host sucks, and says it's our fault if the site is buggy. It's not really the first time it is down like this, maybe it's time to think of a new host...

NEWS (05/27/10):

Eh. You've probably already noticed our website is quite instable those days.

Meanwhile, we've kept working on fixes for FOOK2 1.1 Beta 2 (yeah, the name is starting to get goddamn long!)

You can normally find every Beta 2 related details at our FOOKUnity, including links to hotfixes, but I'll also copy-paste the download links here, just in case
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Yeah, it's frustrating since the install/setup guide for the FOOK 2 1.1 Beta 2 is linked to the downed site.

Do you think the ordering is fine? I'm still now clear on how the ordering can affect something. I've seen people state things like Project Beauty should be above all FOOK 2 stuff, that Hotfixes for FOOK 2 should be at the bottom, etc.

Since I can't see the guide, I don't know if I've got the order down straight since the readme contained with the files is for the 1.0 version. I'd really like to know what the hell is that CaSO file all about since it kills the game if I try to use it.

Anyway, I appreciate the list of mods you provided and hopefully the FOOK people can get their site (and guide) back up.
Black Frances

Post by Black Frances »

Would be really helpful if they included the guide on Nexus, and/or in the zip file for the mod itself. Bunch of fookers.

I checked, and do not have/use anything with "CaSO" in the title. When you play with it disabled but everything else on, do you notice the Project Beauty changes?
Also, not sure if this changed since my ver. of FOOK, but I seem to remember that the Project Beauty.esp followed the Fook2.esp's (main, DIK, EVE).

Good luck. I'm not exaggerating on how much these mods improved my enjoyment in the game. I hope you get it working!

And don't forget to download the Galaxy News Radio ("More Where That Came From"). My favorite mod of all!
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

So, I've been getting back into Oblivion over the last week or so and have heavily modded out my game. The base is OOO+MMM (didn't feel like going the full FCOM), All Natural, QTP3R+R, RAEVWD, plus many, many others. I use both L.A.M.E. and Supreme Magicka, along with the Race Balancing Project. For leveling I use nGCD+Progress, instead of the default OOO leveling rates. I have so many mods it takes around 9 minutes to rebuilt my bashed patch :D. I'll spoiler my load order as it is very long (and it doesn't even list most of the texture replacers)...
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Active Mods
•  00 Oblivion.esm 

•  01 Jog_X_Mod.esm 

•  02 All Natural Base.esm [Version 0.9.9.5] 

•  03 Cobl Main.esm [Version 1.72] 

•  04 Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm [Version 1.34] 

•  05 Mart's Monster Mod.esm [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  06 Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.esm [Version 0.9.9MB3] 

•  07 TamrielTravellers.esm [Version 1.39c] 

•  08 Armamentarium.esm [Version 1.35] 

•  09 Artifacts.esm [Version 1.1] 

•  0A Kvatch Rebuilt.esm 

•  0B Open Cities Resources.esm [Version 3.3.2] 

•  0C bookplacing.esm [Version 1] 

•  0D Progress.esm [Version 2.2] 

•  0E HorseCombatMaster.esm 

•  0F Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.2.6] 

•  10 UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp [Version 1.0.0] 

•  11 Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp 

•  12 DLCShiveringIsles.esp 

•  13 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.4.0] 

•  14 SM Plugin Refurbish - SI.esp [Version 1.30] 

•  15 All Natural - Real Lights.esp [Version 0.9.9.5] 

•  16 All Natural.esp [Version 0.9.9.5] 

•  17 All Natural - SI.esp [Version 0.9.9.5] 

•  18 phinix-waterfix.esp 

•  19 Better Bell Sounds.esp 

•  ++ ln.esp 

•  1A Rainbows.esp 

•  1B WindowLightingSystem.esp 

•  1C DLTIC-1-6.esp [Version 1.6] 

•  1D ChaseCameraMod.esp 

•  1E Rational Names, 2.esp [Version 2-04] 

•  1F ClocksOfCyrodiil_BC_OBC_OC_OCLR_Vanilla.esp 

•  ++ CM_Better Wine_SI.esp 

•  20 Display Stats.esp [Version 1.2] 

•  21 ImprovedSigns.esp 

•  22 RAEVWD Cities.esp [Version 1.7] 

•  23 RAEVWD New Sheoth.esp [Version 1.5] 

•  24 RAEVWD Imperial City.esp [Version 1.7] 

•  25 TryBeforeYouBuy.esp 

•  26 Enhanced Economy.esp [Version 4.2] 

•  27 C&C - The Blackwood Company.esp 

•  28 Map Marker Overhaul.esp [Version 3.4] 

•  29 Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp [Version 3.0.2] 

•  2A DLCHorseArmor.esp 

•  2B DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - DLCHorseArmor+Slofs .esp [Version 0.91] 

•  2C SM Plugin Refurbish - HorseArmor.esp [Version 1.11] 

•  2D DLCOrrery.esp 

•  2E DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.3] 

•  2F SM Plugin Refurbish - Orrery.esp [Version 1.11] 

•  30 DLCVileLair.esp 

•  31 DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5] 

•  ++ SM Plugin Refurbish - VileLair.esp [Version 1.21] 

•  32 DLCMehrunesRazor.esp 

•  33 DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.4] 

•  34 SM Plugin Refurbish - MehrunesRazor.esp [Version 1.30] 

•  35 DLCSpellTomes.esp 

•  ++ DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1] 

•  36 MaleBodyReplacerV4.esp 

•  37 Adonnays Classical Weaponry.esp 

•  38 Adonnays Elven Weaponry.esp 

•  ++ FineWeapons.esp 

•  ++ RustyItems.esp 

•  39 Underworld Armor.esp 

•  3A Thieves Arsenal.esp 

•  3B DLCThievesDen.esp 

•  3C DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5] 

•  3D DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp [Version 1.0.4] 

•  3E SM Plugin Refurbish - ThievesDen.esp [Version 1.30] 

•  3F Cobl Glue.esp [Version 1.72] 

•  40 Cobl Si.esp [Version 1.63] 

•  41 OOO 1.32-Cobl.esp [Version 1.72] 

•  ++ Cobl Tweaks.esp [Version 1.44] 

•  42 Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp [Version 1.34] 

•  ++ OOO-DLT_Remover.esp [Version 1.33] 

•  ++ OMOBS.esp [Version 1.0] 

•  ++ OMOBS_SI.esp [Version 1.0] 

•  43 OMOBS Optional Combat Settings.esp [Version 1.0] 

•  ++ ArmamentariumLLVendors.esp [Version 1.35] 

•  44 ArmamentariumArtifacts.esp [Version 1.35] 

•  45 OBSE-Storms & Sound SI.esp 

•  46 Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.esp [Version 0.9.9MB3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - Shivering Isles.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  47 Mart's Monster Mod - Additional Enemy NPC Vars.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  48 Mart's Monster Mod - Hunting & Crafting.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - Looting NPCs & Creatures.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - Less Rats.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod for OOO - LessReaversInGates.esp [Version 0.9.9MB3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - Safer Roads.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - No Bone Loot.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - No Balrogs.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - Friendlier Factions OOO.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod - Slof Horses Complete.esp [Version 3.7b3p3] 

•  49 TamrielTravellers4OOO.esp [Version 1.39c] 

•  4A TamrielTravellersItemsCobl.esp [Version 1.39c] 

•  ++ ArmamentariumLL4OOO.esp [Version 2.01] 

•  ++ ArmamentariumLLMagicOOO.esp [Version 1.35] 

•  4B C&C - The Blackwood Company - OOO.esp 

•  ++ MMM-Cobl.esp [Version 1.69] 

•  4C EVE_StockEquipmentReplacer4FCOM.esp 

•  4D TamrielTransportationNetwork.esp 

•  4E ShiveringIslesTransportationNetwork.esp 

•  4F Ivellon.esp [Version 1.8] 

•  50 Artifacts.esp [Version 1.1] 

•  ++ Artifacts - ArmaCompleteAddon.esp [Version 1.0] 

•  51 Gift of Kynareth.esp 

•  52 Kvatch Rebuilt.esp 

•  ++ Kvatch Rebuilt - OOO Compatibility.esp 

•  53 Kvatch Rebuilt Weather Patch.esp 

•  54 Malevolent.esp 

•  55 MountainTower.esp [Version 6.0] 

•  56 The Ayleid Steps.esp [Version 3.3.2] 

•  57 thievery.esp 

•  58 thievery - EE patch.esp [Version 4.2] 

•  59 za_bankmod.esp 

•  5A DLCBattlehornCastle.esp 

•  5B DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.4] 

•  5C SM Plugin Refurbish - Battlehorn.esp [Version 1.30] 

•  5D DLCfrostcrag.esp 

•  5E Kvatch Rebuilt_Frostcrag Reborn.esp 

•  5F FrostcragRebornCobl.esp 

•  60 Knights.esp 

•  61 Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.9] 

•  ++ SM Plugin Refurbish - Knights.esp [Version 1.06] 

•  ++ Mart's Monster Mod for OOO - Knights .esp [Version 0.9.9MB3] 

•  62 The Lost Spires.esp 

•  63 OCC-Lost Spires-Patch.esp [Version 2.0] 

•  64 Mighty Umbra.esp 

•  65 Ungarion1TheWelkyndSword.esp [Version 1.4] 

•  66 road+bridges.esp [Version 4.5.5] 

•  67 mythsandlegends.esp 

•  68 West Roads.esp 

•  69 bartholm.esp 

•  6A Open Cities Leyawiin Reborn.esp [Version 3.3.1] 

•  ++ OCC-COBL-Wells.esp 

•  6B OCC-OOO-Patch.esp [Version 2.3] 

•  6C Harvest [Flora].esp [Version 3.0.0] 

•  ++ Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp [Version 3.0.0] 

•  ++ Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp [Version 3.0.0] 

•  6D Book Placement v2.esp [Version 2.0] 

•  6E Cliff_BetterLetters.esp [Version 1.1] 

•  ++ Cobl Bookplacement.esp 

•  6F EVE_ShiveringIslesEasterEggs.esp 

•  70 Leviathan Soulgems.esp 

•  71 Oblivifall - Ambiant Dungeon SFX.esp [Version 1.2] 

•  72 Salmo the Baker, Cobl.esp [Version 3.08] 

•  ++ Short Grass V3.esp 

•  ++ Enhanced Vegetation [100%].esp 

•  73 Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp [Version 3.1.1] 

•  74 za_less_NPC_conversations.esp 

•  75 Quest Award Leveling SI.esp 

•  76 Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp 

•  77 RealisticForceMedium.esp 

•  78 RealSleepExtended.esp [Version 2.4.2] 

•  79 RefScope.esp [Version 2.0.2] 

•  7A Syc_AtHomeAlchemy_No_Bounty_v2.esp 

•  7B StealthOverhaul.esp 

•  7C StealthOverhaul, Cobl.esp [Version 1.1] 

•  7D RenGuardOverhaul.esp 

•  7E Deadly Reflex 5 - Timed Block with no damage or durability changes.esp 

•  7F DeadlyReflex 5 - Combat Moves.esp 

•  80 nGCD.esp 

•  ++ nGCD Birthsigns.esp 

•  81 nGCD Oghma Infinium.esp 

•  82 ProgressMBSP.esp [Version 2.0] 

•  83 ProgressSBSP.esp [Version 1.0] 

•  84 ProgressRBSP.esp [Version 1.0] 

•  85 ProgressRacial.esp 

•  86 ProgressArmorer.esp [Version 1.0] 

•  87 Let There Be Darkness - Cyrodiil + SI.esp 

•  88 Let There Be Darkness - Knights.esp 

•  89 Let There Be Darkness - Mehrunes Razor.esp 

•  8A Corean_hair_for_Original_race.esp 

•  8B Moonshadow Elves - NoSc.esp 

•  8C MSE Hairs And Eyes 03.esp 

•  8D IDKRRR_C_race.esp 

•  8E bgBalancingEVCore.esp [Version 10.52EV-D] 

•  8F bgMagicEV.esp [Version 1.7EV] 

•  ++ bgMagicSpellTomes_for_WryeBash.esp [Version 1.68EV] 

•  ++ bgMagicItemSigil.esp [Version 1.68EV] 

•  ++ bgMagicEVStartspells.esp [Version 1.68EV] 

•  90 bgMagicBonus.esp [Version 1.7EV] 

•  ++ bgMagicEVAddEnVar.esp [Version 1.68EV] 

•  91 bgMagicEVPaperChase.esp [Version 1.68EV] 

•  92 SupremeMagicka.esp [Version 0.90] 

•  93 SM_ShiveringIsles.esp [Version 0.86] 

•  ++ SM_DLCSpellTome.esp [Version 0.80] 

•  ++ SM_OOO.esp [Version 0.89] 

•  ++ SM_MMM.esp [Version 0.89] 

•  ++ SM_COBL.esp [Version 0.86] 

•  ++ SM_SigilStone.esp [Version 0.83] 

•  ++ bgBalancingEVOptionalClasses.esp [Version 9.0EV-U] 

•  ++ bgBalancingEVOptionalFCOMAdditions.esp [Version 10.] 

•  94 bgBalancingEVLAMEAddition.esp [Version 10.51EV-D] 

•  ++ bgBalancingEVLAMEGlue.esp [Version 10.0EV-D1.62EV] 

•  95 bgIntegrationEV.esp [Version 0.993] 

•  96 OC+Integration Patch.esp [Version 2.0] 

•  ++ [GFX]_Initial_Glow-all.esp 

•  ++ bgMagicShaderLifeDetect.esp [Version 1.68] 

•  ++ Visually Realistic Deadly Lava.esp 

•  97 MiniMap.esp 

•  ++ Cobl Filter Late MERGE ONLY.esp [Version 1.53] 

•  98 Cobl Silent Equip Misc.esp [Version 01]
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
AjD

Post by AjD »

What about mods/tweaks for improved performance? On weaker machines?

I'm running Oblivion on an HP 2530p mini-laptop (1.86 L9400 Core2Duo, Intel integrated GMA 4500MHD graphics + 3 GB memory). The game runs fine enough, although the game gets a bit herky-jerky during combat sequences.

Anything I can do to improve things? I'm just running plain vanilla at this point. The recent Steam deal GOY edition.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Make sure you get the Oblivion Script Extender and then pick up the Oblivion Stutter Remover. It will be very helpful in smoothing things out. You can also pick up Streamline 3.1 and make sure you only use the Streamsave (an auto-saver) and Streampurge (clears the memory, improving performance) features.

Also check out the TESIV:POSItive page on Optimization mods - http://sites.google.com/site/oblivionpo ... zationmods" target="_blank

From there, I would highly recommend LowTriPolyGrass, Quiet Feet MAX, and Optimized Distant Land MAX.

Finally, if you still need a boost and don't mind reducing the texture quality check out the 128mb video card section at the Total Oblivion Texture Overhaul site - http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/oblivion ... rhaul.html" target="_blank
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm going to revive this thread to ask a silly question. Yet I still bought the Oblivion GOTY on Steam and finally have the time to play it.

I hate the Morrowind leveling system. I don't want to worry about which skills I level, pick silly skills as major just so that I can control my leveling, or have to be conscious of raising non-combat skills because they will cause me (and thus my enemies) to level up without helping me defeat my enemies. I do like raising skills by using them. Is there any mod out there, for Oblivion, that changes the leveling to something I might like better? FO3 was fine (with a slower leveling patch as I compulsively wander) although I have to admit that there is something that feels right to getting better with weapons as you use them.
andon

Post by andon »

Madmarcus wrote:I'm going to revive this thread to ask a silly question. Yet I still bought the Oblivion GOTY on Steam and finally have the time to play it.

I hate the Morrowind leveling system. I don't want to worry about which skills I level, pick silly skills as major just so that I can control my leveling, or have to be conscious of raising non-combat skills because they will cause me (and thus my enemies) to level up without helping me defeat my enemies. I do like raising skills by using them. Is there any mod out there, for Oblivion, that changes the leveling to something I might like better? FO3 was fine (with a slower leveling patch as I compulsively wander) although I have to admit that there is something that feels right to getting better with weapons as you use them.
I'd recommend nGCD Leveling Mod. Here's a tick from the description
nGCD is a smooth character advancement system. As your skills progress, your attributes and level are automatically increased; there is no interruption, no "level up" screen, and no time wasted min/maxing. The system through which your abilities are derived bears little resemblance to the standard Oblivion system, and you will find that different sorts of characters play very differently; each path has great weaknesses as well as great strengths.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: AndonDN
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Yep, nGCD and Progress (which slows the skill progression rate and is fully customizable) are the best leveling mods IMO.
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I hate to ask more questions but does nGCD play well with OOO or FCOM?
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Yep, works fine with them. I use it with OOO+MMM. Just don't use the level slowing options in OOO/FCOM, use Progress instead.
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Do mods generally need to be applied before starting a new game? (Specifically thinking of FO3 here.)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Shinjin wrote:Do mods generally need to be applied before starting a new game? (Specifically thinking of FO3 here.)
It all depends upon the mod . . . no way to give a general answer IMO.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton