SoaSE where I kill pirates...pic warning

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

SoaSE where I kill pirates...pic warning

Post by Daehawk »

These are from 6 meg each BMP screenshots so by lowering the size and rez they are'nt as nice as when i started. hope you can see them ok.

I have played a lot of sins games but could never take out the pirates. This time I saw I had a lot of planets under my belt and decided to make a huge fleet just for pirate killing.

This is the waypoint where all my ships went after coming out of drydock. One giant star ball thingy .

A closer look at the waypoint.

Heading out for a little killing.

My fleet in formation at the last waypoint before the pirate base.

Engaging jump drives. Poor pirates dont know whats coming.I kept thinking my fleet looked like it was trying to spell something there :)

Pirates - "run away run away!"

Needless to say the pirates were a push over for the first time for me. Now Im heading north to join up with my allie for the final push on the last bad guy.Notice the fleet listed on the left and the planets I have on the right. Its what allowed me to build so much.

A pic of my fleet count on the bottom right

Capital ships listed on right

Me and my allie's fleet getting ready to jump

And a final pic of him beaming them to death while I nuke them with our huge fleet of fighters zooming around in the background. All but 1 of my cap ships were carriers plus I had about 40 light carriers.

If I recall right I had about 15 or so capital ships, 40 light carriers, 60 light frigates, 30-40 kodiak heavy cruisers. Was fun. When Id zoom waaay in close it gave me some frame rate issues but not too bad. Well designed and optimized game. I have had a few crashes when I zoom in close on smaller 20 ships fleets but I guess I got lucky this time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Dreamshadow

Post by Dreamshadow »

:shock:
My NaNoWriMo profile
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

I really hope they put out a demo for this game soon. It looks interesting but my record of liking 4x games is pretty spotty.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Wow! For some reason I haven't read about this game at all, but came into this thread on a whim...now I have to get this! :)
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Daehawk, I bought Sins last night and now I can truly appreciate how insane these screenshots are. :)

I'm loving the game so far by the way, so thanks for the inspiration!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Great pics. This really is just about the most screenshot friendly RTS I've ever played. Thank goodness the AI can handle the micromanagement of the battles for me so I can just hop a ride on a fighter or capital ship and have fun watching the battle unfold.

I really like this shot from a Sins forumer's attempt at a 1 vs 9 teamed hard AI match:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Huw the Poo wrote:Daehawk, I bought Sins last night and now I can truly appreciate how insane these screenshots are. :)

I'm loving the game so far by the way, so thanks for the inspiration!
Cool. Glad ya stumbled into the thread. It really is a great game, even more than I thought it would be. For some real fun remember to set teams to locked then pick a 2 vs 2 map and make an ai your allie
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I really want to try this game, but am waiting for a demo. Still.
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

Kelric wrote:I really want to try this game, but am waiting for a demo. Still.
Ahem.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

B Dog wrote:
Kelric wrote:I really want to try this game, but am waiting for a demo. Still.
Ahem.
It was just released today. Give me a break. :P
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Daehawk wrote:I kept thinking my fleet looked like it was trying to spell something
Perhaps; "Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Preeeeeeeeeetty. :) Where's the demo so they can convince me to part with my money? ;)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

5 hours later.... still downloading. 20-30k a second for half a gigabyte file. Ugh. Damn you, Gamespot!
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Downloaded the demo from Gamers Hell. Took about 30 minutes.

No impressions yet from the first tutorial except that the Zoom is really bugging me. I Ctrl-Left Click to center on a ship and then try to zoom in on it. More often than not I zoom past it off to one side and have to back out to recenter on it and try again. Is this how the full game works too or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

Elmo wrote:Downloaded the demo from Gamers Hell. Took about 30 minutes.

No impressions yet from the first tutorial except that the Zoom is really bugging me. I Ctrl-Left Click to center on a ship and then try to zoom in on it. More often than not I zoom past it off to one side and have to back out to recenter on it and try again. Is this how the full game works too or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
There is an option in the top menu to swith between two options, zoom to cursor/zoom to object. I think.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

OK, thanks. Will look for that.
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

The AI could do with a tweak. Strategically it's fine, in fact it's kicking my arse so much I've had to set it to easy. :oops:

However, when grouped I will almost always have one ship that hangs around the edge of a gravity well. Its status occasionally flickers very rapidly, saying "auto-jumping to <wherever>" before disappearing again. Really annoying because I often use the "jump when all grouped" tactic so the whole fleet has to wait for the tiresome little sod to catch up.

There's also an issue or two with hotkeys not working which was introduced with the current patch apparently. But besides that, I'm having a blast. It's almost a cross between Homeworld and Conquest: Frontier Wars, one of my favourite games of all time.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Huw the Poo wrote: However, when grouped I will almost always have one ship that hangs around the edge of a gravity well. Its status occasionally flickers very rapidly, saying "auto-jumping to <wherever>" before disappearing again. Really annoying because I often use the "jump when all grouped" tactic so the whole fleet has to wait for the tiresome little sod to catch up.
I've noticed that happening since the last patch myself.
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

So I played the demo today for a couple of hours, running through the tutorials and then one of the maps, until the game told me my demo time had run out. Enjoyable, especially once I started getting the hang of the interface (though the map thing on the left side still leaves me a little confused from time to time and centering on ships doesn't always seem to work). I don't see myself paying full price for it any time soon. Possible purchase down the road, though.
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

The demo doesn't have a time limit, only the matches that you make in the demo. In other words, you can begin again another one.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Turin Turambar wrote:The demo doesn't have a time limit, only the matches that you make in the demo. In other words, you can begin again another one.
Ah, got it. Too late though... I just uninstalled it and deleted it from my computer. :?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Overkill. 3 or 4 TEC mid-level capital ships with a respectable accompanyment will finish those pirates quite nicely. Just make sure you take down the heavy pirate frigates first.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon