[WW] Danger Zone REDUX! -- Night 3

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Lassr

Re: [WW] Danger Zone REDUX! -- Night 3

Post by Lassr »

Moliere
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Newcastle wrote:So....can we just call it? Or go in super speed mode since we know the end?
Yeah, I think we can safely call it. You guys did your best, and you almost pulled it out.
Black Lives Matter.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

That went...poorly for us.

In the end, having two seers, including one with an on-demand one-time anytime scan was a little too much.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
RMC

Post by RMC »

I loved my free anytime scan....it was awesome! I almost scanned scoop, that would have ended poorly. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Holman

Post by Holman »

You're right, let's call the game.

Holman 

:oops:

In case anyone missed it, what happened was that I wrote up a generic assassin death scene and used it for El Guapo, completely ignoring his Barry power of surviving a first lynch. I had it posted for about a minute before I realized my error and deleted it, but the damage was done.

I could not feel stupider. The game was going well, at least from where I sat, but I made the one mistake that ruined it. It doesn't help that this kind of fuckup taps into certain deep-seated (or let's just call them well-founded) fears about my competence at managing information flow. I certainly wasn't being cavalier; the mistake is all the more galling because of how careful I was *trying* to be. I failed at that. The fault is all mine, and I feel more embarrassed than I ever have on these boards.

That said, I think the game was heading towards a conclusion all the same. El Guapo was Barry (obviously), and it seemed clear that Lassr had also fallen under suspicion. It was probably already a foregone conclusion.

I *really* enjoyed trying to run this game (until a few minutes ago, anyway). The write-ups were fun to do, and it was enlightening to see things from the moderator perspective. Perhaps I shouldn't try it again for a while, though.

Let me know if you'd like me to go ahead and spoil the roles.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Uh, the game was fine. You didn't blow anything.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Dude Holman! Your awesome! Both games were great!!!

Always call on me to be in any game you run.

And Scoop, what's with scanning me first??? Man, I am not that good of a player compared to others. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah like I mentioned in the Slack thread, the game was already over by that point. Even if the village were swayed by my outstanding oratory and concluded that I was actually Archer despite not bothering to counter bb2112 at any point during the game, and lynched Scoop (proving his scans), there was enough time to lynch me and Lassr.

Really we were pretty much doomed going into the prior night. Our last hope was to kill someone other than Scoop, hope that Scoop wouldn't scan Lassr, and then try to sway the village that Scoop was a damn dirty liar and either lynch him or at least lynch someone other than me. I was drafting a post claiming Malory when Scoop dropped the Lassr bomb, at which point I did a quick calculation and realized that they already had enough time to lynch Scoop, me twice, and Lassr. So...that was that.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

you are being too hard on yourself Holman. It was a great game, it was the assassin that f'ed everything up by their poor play.

I have never had such a run of bad luck in a game as this one. Jeez!

And Moliere is the real hero! A goat hero!

He was the goat in the last game for ending it early but a hero for the good guys because I felt us assassins had a good lead in that game.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

triggercut wrote:That went...poorly for us.

In the end, having two seers, including one with an on-demand one-time anytime scan was a little too much.
that would be my fault also.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I would like to forget about this game so I will go prepare BSG X

Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

FYI. I scan Lassr last night. I scanned Grund. I lied about scanning Lassr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Holman, you didn't ruin anything. Both games were fun and exciting to play. Your write ups were enjoyable, and people were engaged. You can't help that Scoop is an idiot savant.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Scoop20906 wrote:FYI. I scan Lassr last night. I scanned Grund. I lied about scanning Lassr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omg epic bluff
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Holman you didn't blow it. You did fine. I didn't see your post or anything. Plus it was pretty much over.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

So I found out I am Mallory this time. No pressure, right? So here is the a collection of the PMs I was sending to Holman throughout the game. Please read if you are interested.
Scoop20906 wrote:Let's scan RMC, shall we? The devil gets to room to hide.
RMC was ISIS and promptly outed and killed.

Then I made the wonderful choice to announce my scan thanks to Chaos.
Scoop20906 wrote:
Holman wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Ok. No smoking gun but it's a start.
:)
I wonder if a Seer has ever been stupid enough to out this themselves like this? :grund:
Somehow, everyone assumed I was just a goofing around. WHEW!

Thanks to Unagi and Grund, we hit pay dirt with Triggercut. Them I got extremely lucky.
Scoop20906 wrote:Seriously. Wow! Unagi is like a bloodhound. I seriously wonder if I will survive the night. I hope they decide to kill RMC so they get the guaranteed scan and its a scan for someone other than me. I so badly want to scan an assassin. I am usually an utter failure as a Seer.

Ok, I have a very large list to pick from but I think I am going to pick someone who didn't cast a vote.

scan El Guapo
El Guapo an assassin. Booyah!
Scoop20906 wrote:Wow! Maybe I'm not so bad at this after all. I'll probably announce as soon as morning arrives.

Also I'm not sure what your rules are but a note with the scan results in the future that they can't announce what they have learned until the start of the next day.

People might get their results and want to announce it which wouldn't be fair to the baddies.
My plan is to sit tight with the information and get El Guapo to spill some beans but he stays really quiet. I start to sweat.
Scoop20906 wrote:
Holman wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Crap I forgot that Lana can protect RMC which means they are more likely to look elsewhere as in ME! Damn Damn Damn
You survived the night!
OMG! Thank goodness.

Ok, changed my mind about announcing Malory. First I am going to see about pushing the votes against El Guapo in a subtle way. Lets see how this goes.
And sweat.
Scoop20906 wrote:I think I am doing pretty good but I could be laying it on too thick. I'm pretty sure the assassin's are wondering I really am Malory now. El Guapo's smart enough to put two and two together.

My plan, if I succeed, is to get El Guapo lynched then announce I am Malory during the night and ask Lana to protect me so I can get one more scan. It also allows me to discuss the scan with everyone. I feel pretty confident that katya used up her power last night. I'm not sure so I might change my mind later. It depends on how this vote goes.
I miss announcing myself before Moliere kills Stessier and now I am stuck with knowledge of El Guapo and want to get out in case I die. So I announce.

Then I decide to scan Grund. Better to know if he is good or bad.
Scoop20906 wrote:Ok. Let's scan Grund.

If I don't make it to tomorrow I've really enjoyed the game. Please keep modding when you have the time.
And the results lead me to panick some more...
Scoop20906 wrote:
Holman wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Ok. Let's scan Grund.

If I don't make it to tomorrow I've really enjoyed the game. Please keep modding when you have the time.
Thank you! I'm enjoying this.

And Grund is ISIS.
Ok, hear this out. I am thinking about lying about my scan.

I am going to announce I scanned Lassr and he is an assassin. Two benefits to this:

1. if I am right, then lassr is killed after we kill El Guapo and we win the game.
2. if I am wrong, the assassins think I was lying and that the real Mallory is someone else. They will be confused about how I guess El Guapo was a assassin BUT it might by me another day. At worst, I cause out team a miss but the good news is we can afford a miss with one assassin dead and the other found and even if El Guapo gets two lynches we are ahead.
3. if Grund gets some heat I can change my story and save him. They have no choice they have to believe me.

No need to comment. Just wanted to type this out to think it through.

Of course, this could all be moot and I could already be dead.
So, I announce Lassr as the other assassin to give myself cover to get another chance to scan.
Scoop20906 wrote:Ok, please don't respond but I need to share!

I didn't forsee them targeting Grund. I figured if they avoided me they would target El Guapo or Unagi. This changes things quite a bit.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THE THIRD ASSASSIN IS. I need to go back and really read El Guapo's posts now.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lassr's reaction as this will help gauge if I got lucky and guess right on him.

Ok, no response. Just needed to get this out.
Scoop20906 wrote:And if I am wrong about Lassr....

I am DEAD tonight unless they think I am covering for the real Mallory. I have to sell I am faking it really hard and hope they decide not to kill me and hope they want to see me swinging in the wind when Lassr comes up ISIS.

I might have painted myself in an ugly hole here but this is finger painting and hella fun!
And thats the end of it. Dumb luck is better than any luck.

I really enjoyed this game but I want to give Rookie Mod of the year honors to Holman for running his first successfull OO WW. Congrats!

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

guess it could have played out a little longer but we were still screwed. Guess that's what Holman meant when he said playing it out could be interesting when we asked if we could just surrender.

Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Lassr wrote:guess it could have played out a little longer but we were still screwed. Guess that's what Holman meant when he said playing it out could be interesting when we asked if we could just surrender.
Yep, I was lying about my scan of you. I expected you to come out and blast me and when you didn't, I thought, maybe I guessed right.

I was just trying to get another scan. :mrgreen:

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Oh shit- I didn't realize that Lassr had not been scanned by Scoop. :doh:
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

And I have been on the losing end of a 3 and out recently and I know how dejecting that feels. Nothing we did worked that game either. If it makes you feel better all three were lucky guess on ISIS's part.

GG, guys.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll come out of my funk.

And I'll spoiler the spoilers here:
Spoiler:
ISIS Specials
Archer -- bb2112
Lana -- Remus West
Malory -- Scoop
Cheryl -- RMC

ISIS Regulars
Cyril -- Newcastle
Pam -- Vorret
Krieger -- Unagi
Ray -- Grundbegriff
Woodhouse -- Stessier
Brett -- Chaosraven
Burt Reynolds -- Moliere
Babou the Ocelot -- LordMortis

Assassins
Barry -- El Guapo
Katya -- Lassr
Conway -- Triggercut
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Want to know our dumb luck. We agreed to not target LordMortis or Unagi or Stessier the first night. Give them some playing time even though triggercut said Unagi can read me. We figured Unagi would be the next night kill.

So we hit BB/Archer. Well, gets a miss out of the way. Then Triggercut gets killed after RMC is revealed and clears Remus. Wow we got behind the eightball real fast.

At this point with 3 proven players we could not pick them off and let Mallory scan freely. So it was wait on offing RMC when the pool was smaller or go for the hail mary and hope RMC reveals Lana or Malory to us. So we used the protection block and stessier was revealed to us as an normal ISIS.

So at least we had one less target and then stessier was killed by lynch which pretty much wasted the RMC scan.

Unagi was hounding me and Scoop El Guapo. Then Scoop reveals with El Guapo as assassin. I wanted to target Scoop in case Lana wanted to get cute and protect Remus hoping we would target elsewhere but El Guapo wanted to kill Grund so we could hope to put doubt in Scoop.

and the rest is history

Black Lives Matter
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I knew Scoop had self outed. I just didn't want to go to the mattresses on it.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Lassr wrote:So we hit BB/Archer. Well, gets a miss out of the way. Then Triggercut gets killed after RMC is revealed and clears Remus. Wow we got behind the eightball real fast.
Man, very hard to come back from that.

I think I agree completely, RMC's anytime scan was over powered and we were able to take advantage of it. I think a good adjustment change it from a targetted scan to a random scan like the one it gives to the assassins.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

or just remove the scan entirely. Sometimes more powers don't make the game better.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The assassins got their only luck by scanning Archer on Night 0. They caught Cheryl, but her big mouth only identified stessier, an ISIS regular.

Meanwhile, the villagers lynched one assassin on Day 1, Scoop scanned another one on Night 1, and the third was already under suspicion by Day 2.

Very bad luck for the bad guys, really.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Lassr wrote:Want to know our dumb luck. We agreed to not target LordMortis or Unagi or Stessier the first night. Give them some playing time even though triggercut said Unagi can read me. We figured Unagi would be the next night kill.
I think Unagi has promoted himself to Night 0 kill every game now. Well, thats more time for drinky Unagi to lurk the boards. :wink:

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Wait, so I'm not Cheryl? :think:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote:Wait, so I'm not Cheryl? :think:
I should have had a Cheryl AND a Carol!
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Moliere wrote:Wait, so I'm not Cheryl? :think:

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

As a proud member of Team Badguy, we did ourselves few favors...;)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote:  Holman 

:oops:

Nonsense. I loved the setting and you ran it well. If I didn't think I would have done so going in, I never would asked to play. I enjoyed myself a lot.

The one thing I would recommend is not clarifying rules unless we ask you for clarification. Something feels like could gamed by players if you offer rules during open discussions amongst players. I don't know if that's just me.
Grundbegriff

Re: [WW] Danger Zone REDUX! -- Day 3

Post by Grundbegriff »

El Guapo wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:
Newcastle wrote: scoop 

KIDDING

el guapo 

You are never going to let me scoop again, are you?
Are you referring to Newcastling?
:lol:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Lassr wrote:guess it could have played out a little longer but we were still screwed. Guess that's what Holman meant when he said playing it out could be interesting when we asked if we could just surrender.
Yep, I was lying about my scan of you. I expected you to come out and blast me and when you didn't, I thought, maybe I guessed right.

I was just trying to get another scan. :mrgreen:
Oh man, that was a hell of a move. So we did manage to peg your night scan last night. Well done. If only you had been wrong about Lassr, as that could've blown up badly - he would've charged hard on you. My plan for stoking doubt about you and (ideally) making you the next day's lynch could have worked!

Oh well.
Black Lives Matter.
Grundbegriff

Re: [WW] Danger Zone REDUX! -- Day 3

Post by Grundbegriff »

Well... that was interesting.

Holman: Don't beat yourself up. Mistakes were made, but on the whole it didn't matter. Plus your filler/flavor was entertaining.

Here's the one private exchange that complements Scoop's collection above:
Grundbegriff wrote:
Holman wrote:...they have assassinated you!....
I assume they killed me to waste Scoop's scan. Plus I'm quasi-trusted for helping to nuke trig. I hope he took my advice and scanned someone other than the target he declared aloud in advance!
No spoilers.
Scoop's scan of me, after having announced his intention, was a blunder. But Scoop's anti-Lassr bluff was a great play that made up for the blunder.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Lassr wrote:Want to know our dumb luck. We agreed to not target LordMortis or Unagi or Stessier the first night. Give them some playing time even though triggercut said Unagi can read me. We figured Unagi would be the next night kill.

So we hit BB/Archer. Well, gets a miss out of the way. Then Triggercut gets killed after RMC is revealed and clears Remus. Wow we got behind the eightball real fast.

At this point with 3 proven players we could not pick them off and let Mallory scan freely. So it was wait on offing RMC when the pool was smaller or go for the hail mary and hope RMC reveals Lana or Malory to us. So we used the protection block and stessier was revealed to us as an normal ISIS.

So at least we had one less target and then stessier was killed by lynch which pretty much wasted the RMC scan.

Unagi was hounding me and Scoop El Guapo. Then Scoop reveals with El Guapo as assassin. I wanted to target Scoop in case Lana wanted to get cute and protect Remus hoping we would target elsewhere but El Guapo wanted to kill Grund so we could hope to put doubt in Scoop.

and the rest is history
Lana knew you had blown your protection block on RMC so got cute and protected bb2112 being unable to protect myself. :shock:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

LordMortis wrote:The one thing I would recommend is not clarifying rules unless we ask you for clarification.
Agreed. There have been games in which players deliberately misrepresented the rules for tactical reasons. Coming in with a correction could spoil someone's maneuver.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Grundbegriff wrote:
LordMortis wrote:The one thing I would recommend is not clarifying rules unless we ask you for clarification.
Agreed. There have been games in which players deliberately misrepresented the rules for tactical reasons. Coming in with a correction could spoil someone's maneuver.
Yes, I agree also. Didn't want to say anything in the game. Moderator should have no input unless asked.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Remus West wrote:

and the rest is history
Lana knew you had blown your protection block on RMC so got cute and protected bb2112 being unable to protect myself. :shock:
Ha. I knew it, dammit, I knew it and should have really pressed for the Scoop kill.

What I wrote in Slack:
According to who is playing the role of Lana it could be interesting tonight. I could see someone like Grund protecting Remus hoping we would skip Scoop tonight thinking he was protected. Of course they would have to think we used Katya powers on RMC also.
sigh, this game is just going all wrong for us. Our scan from Cheryl is now dead so that bought us nothing.
I think we almost have to target Scoop tonight and hope Lana is trying to be cute. If we hold off and then target her tomorrow night and then she is protected then we are doubly screwed.
Offing Grund is a big risk if Scoop says he will scan Grund and then scans me instead. I would not trust that Scoop is going to scan who he says he will scan. Of course it would not matter if he scans me. You can claim Malory but the rule generally is to trust the one that came out first unless it is an end game situation which this is not. They would lynch you and when you didn't die they would know you are not Malory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote:
Remus West wrote:

and the rest is history
Ha. I knew it, dammit, I knew it and should have really pressed for the Scoop kill.
That wouldn't have worked, though. Killing Scoop would have proved his scan of me, and you were already under a lot of suspicion so there's no way you would've survived through the end. Plus as it turns out we were right about Scoop scanning Grund - he just pulled it out with that damn scan bluff.
Black Lives Matter.