Flight of the Sack Time Sally (Target for Today)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zenn7

Re: Flight of the Sack Time Sally (Target for Today)

Post by Zenn7 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:58 pm Yay Im an engineer! Now, is this a wrench or a screwdriver?
<Pushes the tip away> That's a machine gun.

<Where the hell did they find this guy???>

<When I said I wanted some tail... this was not what I meant...>

YOYO on the radio! Wanna holler at our little friends to get up top and get some payback on those bombers?!?

<Wonder if I can shoot rockets down before they close. How many bullets has this thing got.. >
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

On the way back can we fly over Croatia? I have some relatives there.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heeey anybody else see that little guy? I coulda swore I saw a little guy walk past mumbling about bolts or welds or pistons.

He looks like this...
Enlarge Image

I better keep my whatsit and thingamabob close in case I need it for that whachamacallit.

Last I saw he was headed towards the front.
Enlarge Image

Hey this aint a parachute its a tablecloth....
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
docD

Post by docD »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:59 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:25 pm
docD wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:24 pm After we drop this load, who's for heading over to the Rivera for drinks?
In!
If you survive up to September, 1944 then go for it! Before then, well, the Germans might look at you funny as you sidle up to the bar...
Dang Germans, they mess up all our fun!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

"It's a long way to Tipperary"..............
wait a minute...........wrong song. :oops:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The formation finally flies back into Italy, a few less bombers in the air. The flight is relatively quiet as the bombers approach the train yard. Then the gunners call out bandit positions as a large wave of fighters make a run at the formation. Gunners on the Sack Time Sally count five fighters pouncing on the bomber from all sides.

Enlarge Image

Raydude and TheMix score hits on their bandits but the bullets have little effect as the planes dive towards the Sally. Both miss however and fly off to attack another target. Daehawk has no luck hitting his target but lucky for him the other pilot isn't doing so well either and other than buzzing close to the bomber he does no damage and arcs away to attack another plane. Zenn7 lands a solid hit on a Fw 190, raking the flap on the right wing but the fighter scores some solid hits on the bomber. The left elevator in the tail becomes inoperable as NickAragua struggles and succeeds in keeping the plane steady for her eventual bomb run. Shrapnel flies in the radio room where and the connection powering DocD's heated flight suit is destroyed. The many layers of clothing will keep him warm for only so long and if the bomber doesn't drop to 10,000 feet soon, DocD is in real danger of suffering from debilitating frostbite. Dbt sends a couple of rounds at a Fw 190 coming at him from 9:00 high but the pilot slips past the stream of tracers and he fires back, hitting the bomber in the nose section. Sparks fly and the bomb controls are destroyed, requiring someone to manually drop the bombs from the bomb bay.

The two Fw 190s curve around the fighter after scoring their hits and attack from 1:30 high and low, the aces trying to add a kill to their tally.

Enlarge Image

Raydude and TheMix fire at the fighter diving at them from 1:30 high while Gbasden and Daehawk concentrate on the 1:30 low fighter. The Fw 190 at 1:30 high explodes, showering the Sack Time Sally with debris but causing no damage while the other fighter misses the bomber and curves around the Sally to hunt another plane.

Enlarge Image

Meanwhile, DocD is getting colder...

(And DocD probably wishes he hadn't traded spots with TheMix for the bigger space right about now)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who wants to go throw the switch for me?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Is this what happened back there?

Son, I'm sorry. They got us.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am

(And DocD probably wishes he hadn't traded spots with TheMix for the bigger space right about now)
Maybe this rules variant will buy him some time?
:wink:

From the posted PDF
VARIANT RULES you could add:
 Simplest Option: To avoid bookkeeping nightmares, just figure that you can move one extra man into the Pilot’s
Compartment, unless the cockpit window is blown out; and you can move two extra men into the Radio
Room.…. before being forced to leave the formation and descend to 10,000 feet
But, now that I'm reading it a bit closer this is specific to the B-17.
In that case, good luck!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm beginning to think these planes are deathtraps.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:53 pm I'm beginning to think these planes are deathtraps.
:lol:

I was going to comment that I hoped I was better at the radio than at the guns. But then we got that last one. Yay! :violence-minigun:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'd suggest the Navigator drop back and manually drop the bombs. But he may be too cold.

Perhaps if he rides one down? That would get him below 10k feet pretty quickly...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is this what happened back there?

Son, I'm sorry. They got us.
I like how he shoots the entire tail tip off but in the next shot it simply has a hole in it.
I'm beginning to think these planes are deathtraps.
Its all fun and games until someone starts throwing lead at one. You'll put an engine out with that thing! And Im not going out there to fix it.
docD

Post by docD »

About time we got some cooler weather.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are we there yet? I really gotta go to the bathroom.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I hear our Navigator is cold.... 8-)

Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So that was just wave 1 out of three potential waves of attacks. When I roll for the appearance of fighters in wave 2 I got a special event and it truly is special as our tail gunner, Zenn7, is declared "Ace for the Day" getting a +1 DRM when he fires. Wave 3 also turns out to be a special event but this one is not special at all because it's a "Disrupted Formation" event and in the future when rolling for the number of potential fighter waves attacking your bomber the Germans get a +1 DRM. Fun times!

The attacking fighters break off from the formation and now the flak bursts begin. The Sack Time Sally is peppered with shrapnel ringing against the walls of the aircraft but none penetrate. The target is obscured by smoke as the Sally flies over. Isgrimnur tries his best to make out landmarks, making adjustments to the bombsight and then he calls into the intercom "Bombs away" which signals TheMix to jettison the bombs manually. NickAragua and Smoove gun the engines and follow the rest of the formation out of the target area. The flak suddenly stops due to fighters diving towards the retreating bombers...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What? I'm dropping the bombs? Oh sh... </hurriedly scrambles forward to the bomb bay>

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

<------- is still in the bathroom. Its a bit chilly and for some reason they stored the bombs in here.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

As the Sack Time Sally makes its escape, NickAragua calls over to DonD to see how he's doing. DonD is keeping warm as best he can but he's starting to lose sensation in his toes and feet. NickAragua tells him to hang in there and as soon as they're out of the target zone he'll drop to 10,000 feet. Meanwhile, a pair of bandits swoops toward the bomber, a Me 110 climbing up from below and a Me 109 at 12:00 level.

Enlarge Image

Gbasden fires at the Me 110 and cuts the bandit's left wing in half. The fighter spins towards the ground and explodes, taking its pilot with him. Raydude and Daehawk fire at the Me 109 coming at the nose and both hit but only cause superficial damage. The fighter takes his shot but misses as well and buzzes past the bomber, flying away towards another target.

Enlarge Image

There's no time to relax however as more fighters pounce on the Sack Time Sally. A Me 109 approaches from 10:30 low while the other four fighters come at the bomber from 12:00.

Enlarge Image
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

*Checks his gun to see whats wrong with it*.."Well no wonder, its full of these little metal and lead things!"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Enlarge Image

Gbadsen scores a hit on the Me 110 at 12:00 low while the bandit trades fire with Gbadsen, missing and flying away. Daehawk hits one of the Me 109s coming in from 12:00 high but the fighter continues the attack along with a second Me 109 but they both miss and buzz past the bomber. The Me 109 ace approaching from 12:00 level lands some hits on the bomber but no damage was done. As he passes the Sally he comes under Zenn7's guns which score a solid hit on the fighter. The ace is able to maintain control of his plane, even with the damage he suffered and will be coming around for another pass at the bomber. The Me 109 approaching from 10:30 level punches holes in the wing and flight deck and shrapnel hits the landing gear controls. The consequences of the hit won't be known until the Sally attempts to land, assuming she makes it home. The two aces come around to try for a kill...

Enlarge Image

Daehawk scores a hit on the ace at 3:00 high but the ace is determined to try and bring down the bomber. Determination isn't enough though as he misses and banks away. Gbadsen and TheMix concentrate on the other fighter which disintegrates in a hail of bullets.

Enlarge Image

The Luftwaffe isn't done with the Sack Time quite yet though as a third wave of fighters pounces on the formation.

Enlarge Image

Raydude hits the fuel tank of the Fw 190 but no explosion occurs, probably due to the self-sealing tanks. The fighter peppers the nose with shells and shrapnel along with the bomb bay. Some flying pieces of metal hit the turret hydraulic system but they built it tough and there's no damage. The bomb bay is hit as well but luckily for the crew the bombs have already been dropped. The fighter turns off after his run, figuring it was good enough. Another Me 109 at 12:00 level trades fire with Daehawk. Daehawk misses but the fighter lands a solid hit. The bomb bay gets more holes with no effect but Raydude gets a piece of shrapnel in his gluteus muscle ie shot in the ass but he's no worse for wear. An Me 109 comes in from 1:30 level and misses. As it passes behind the Sally, Zenn7 takes a passing shot at him but is unable to land his shot. The ace also misses and flies off. Gbadsen and TheMix hit the cockpit of the bandit at 3:00 level and the pilot slumps dead at the controls as it dives into the Italian countryside. The Me 109 that wounded Raydude comes around for another attack at the nose but a pissed off Raydude hits him in the fuel tank which explodes. (sorry no pic). Finally the other attacking bandits leave the formation and a battered Sack Time Sally makes it's way closer to the sea.

As the leave the target area, NickAragua drops the plane to 10,000 feet so DocD has a chance against losing body parts to frostbite. Random flak targets the plane since they're flying at a lower altitude but they escape unscathed and eventually make it over the Adriatic. There's a bit of a lull so ammunition is redistributed among the gunners in anticipation of more fighters attacking the bomber. And over the sea they are not disappointed...
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I sure hit a lot to do no damage. Are we sure I have a gun and not a spitwad tosser?

Ouch an ass shot. Thats gotta smart.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daehawk wrote:I sure hit a lot to do no damage. Are we sure I have a gun and not a spitwad tosser?

Ouch an ass shot. Thats gotta smart.
Actually, there's an optional damage table which provides more detail after a hit. The hits you were scoring still instilled a penalty for the German pilot when it's time for him to make his attack rolls. Just when I was rolling on that optional table they turned out to be superficial hits. There are other results on that table where you can cause wing damage, fuel tank damage, etc which in turn can have adverse effects for the bandit. So no worries, you're doing your part for the war effort!
Black lives matter!

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Meanwhile I sit here enjoying my coffee.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

dbt1949 wrote:Meanwhile I sit here enjoying my coffee.
Yeah, most of the attacks are coming from angles you can't fire on I've noticed. I guess they're afraid of you...

Have you unpacked your copy of the game yet, dbt?
Black lives matter!

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've unpacked it and looked it over but haven't played it yet. Just ordered a tray to put the counters in. Those little plastic bags just ain't doing it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:43 pm I've unpacked it and looked it over but haven't played it yet. Just ordered a tray to put the counters in. Those little plastic bags just ain't doing it.
I put the German fighters into baggies because they’re pretty large but a counter tray worked really nicely for organizing the rest of the counters.

If you have any questions for your first game let me know and I’ll be happy to help out. I have you to thank for finally bringing my copy to the table and I’m really having fun with it!
Black lives matter!

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:57 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:43 pm I've unpacked it and looked it over but haven't played it yet. Just ordered a tray to put the counters in. Those little plastic bags just ain't doing it.
I put the German fighters into baggies because they’re pretty large but a counter tray worked really nicely for organizing the rest of the counters.

If you have any questions for your first game let me know and I’ll be happy to help out. I have you to thank for finally bringing my copy to the table and I’m really having fun with it!
Me too. I'm 3 missions in with my own campaign now. The first two were milk runs (3 zones only). Lost an engine on the 3rd but we've been pretty lucky so far.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Archinerd wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Me too. I'm 3 missions in with my own campaign now. The first two were milk runs (3 zones only). Lost an engine on the 3rd but we've been pretty lucky so far.
What campaign are you running?
Black lives matter!

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Campaign #2, May 1943 - Nov 1943.
I'm also using a slightly modified Hit Damage against fighters table in order to reduce kills a little.
I used this one from bgg (1st table on 2nd page of pdf) as the basis. It adds a FBOA-X result to the table (Fighter Breaks Off Attack before firing). Effectively it's the same result, just doesn't count as a claimed kill.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1518 ... e-and-hits

This is all in addition to the surprisingly confusing review board rules. I'm still not quite sure how that's really supposed to work.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Enlarge Image

The Sack Time Sally finally makes it over the sea and is safe from flak. Fighters still menace the bomber as three fighters make an unwanted pass at her. The Fw 190s at 12:00 level and 1:30 level both miss and fly off while Raydude lands a solid hit on the fuel tank of the Me 109 at 12:00 level and the plane flies through the flaming debris of the bandit.

Enlarge Image

In a second wave of attacks a trio of Me 109s approach from 12:00 while a Me 109 attacks from 1:30 high. Raydude scores a hit on one of the Me 109s at 12:00 level causing a great bit of superficial damage. The fighter fires back but misses and buzzes over the bomber towards another plane. Daehawk fires at the second bandit at 12:00 level and scores a hit, injuring the pilot. The ace presses the attack but misses and wobbles away. The third Me 109 at 12:00 high succeeds in hitting the Sally but only causes superficial damage to the flight deck but the increase in bullet holes worry NickAragua and Smoove. Bolstered by his success the fighter comes around to try to take the bomber down. The ace at 1:30 level scores a hit on the #2 engine but nothing important was hit and the engine is unharmed. Zenn7 takes a passing shot as the ace flies behind the bomber but misses and the ace swings around to make another run at the Sally.

Enlarge Image

The Me 109 that hit the flight deck comes around and dives in from 12:00 high. Raydude lines up his guns and a hail of bullets perforate the nose of the bandit which bursts into flame and the pilot bails out. The ace that Zenn7 missed attacks from 1:30 high. Daehawk hits the fuel tank but causes no lasting damage. The ace as he dodges the stream of tracers coming at him fires back but also misses. Zenn7 tries again as the ace passes the tail but the ace avoids being hit again and flies off.

The Sally only has a brief respite as more fighters in the distance have noticed the Sally on her own and begin to make their way towards her...
Black lives matter!

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"Hey guys, scientific experiment time. What's the minimum amount of aircraft that needs to be present in order for us to make it back?"
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

"Uh... 12%?"

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As long as all the parts stay in formation, we'll be fine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
raydude

Post by raydude »

wooohooo! 2 flaming kills baby!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

mmmmm..........Folgers!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:33 pm "Hey guys, scientific experiment time. What's the minimum amount of aircraft that needs to be present in order for us to make it back?"
One wing, plus a prayer.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

And a ball turret to cushion the landing.
raydude

Post by raydude »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:17 pm And a ball turret to cushion the landing.
I was gonna say, "it sucks to be..", and couldn't find the ball turret gunner on our crew list. I managed to find that it was gbasden. We should ask our squadron commander, Siljanus, to add him to the official roster when we get back.