The Flight of the Hellcat Agnes (Target for Today)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

The Flight of the Hellcat Agnes (Target for Today)

Post by $iljanus »

Inspired by DBT's purchase of Target for Today, I decided to dust off my copy and fly a single B-17 mission to get to know the game a bit before committing to a full 25 mission campaign. Lucky for me I already sorted the counters so set up was pretty easy. But I need ten brave aviators and crew to man my plane and strike a blow against the Reich!

You will be flying as part of the mighty 8th Air Force based in England. The campaign will take place during the early days of the Allied bombing campaign, Aug 1942-Apr 1943. I will be taking pics as the game goes on and just have to figure out which image sharing program I want to use to post pics (suggestions appreciated). The first mission will be against the U-Boat pens at La Pallice in France. Once I get my 10 brave volunteers I will randomly assign the following roles to them: bombadier, navigator, pilot, co-pilot, engineer/top turret, radio, ball turret, left waist, right waist, tail turret.

Who knows, if all goes well I'll just start the campaign and count this mission as part of it. Then again there is the possibility that we blow up on take off and there's a table to determine that (Table 3-3 Bomber Crashes On Take-Off Result 4-6..."Bomber cleared the runway and crashes beyond the perimeter fence. Bombs explode. Bomber is destroyed and all aboard are KIA") and it will be a rather short game. I won't go into the details of all the other ways this game can wound, maim, or kill you...

Once I have my crew I'll change the thread title and start the mission. Present day life may get in the way at times so posting might be spotty but I'll try my best to keep the thread up.

Oh, description of the game from the developer website and there's a link to the BGG page at the top of this post:
TARGET FOR TODAY is a solitaire game that recreates American's Daylight Strategic Bombing Campaign against Nazi Occupied Europe during the Second World War. Considerable research, including review of many oral histories gathered from veterans who flew heavy bombers in the Daylight Strategic Bombing Campaign was done to make Target For Today! function as closely as possible to reality. The game was designed to provide YOU, the player with the ultimate gaming experience depicting the same types of events and decision making processes experienced by our veterans who flew the real-life missions.

Now, YOU are in command of an individual bomber on an individual mission over Hitler’s Third Reich —flying either the B-17F or G Model Flying Fortress or the B24D, or J Model Liberator bomber. A series of individual missions are strung together in the campaign game to form the player's tour of duty. Just as it was in real life, the objective of the game for the player is to survive your tour of duty so you can rotate home.

The US Army Air Forces suffered one of the highest casualty rates of any branch of the military services including the US Marine Corps during World War II. The heavy bomber groups of the 8th Air Force flew a combined total of 10,631 strike missions over Europe during the period of this game. The 8th Air Force lost 4145 bombers on these missions. Surviving your tour of duty could be difficult!

TARGET FOR TODAY is an advanced update of Glen Frank’s classic game B17, QUEEN OF THE SKIES. Some familiarity with that game is assumed, but “TARGET FOR TODAY!” is a completely new game—you do not need to own B-17, QUEEN OF THE SKIES to play it. New tables are included and the rules are organized according to the sequence of play in any typical mission. TARGET FOR TODAY is designed so that each individual mission is fast and easy to play. The campaign game that comprises your tour of duty offers the player a game that is rich in detail, making the game as realistic as possible while still remaining playable.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Re: Need Brave Forum Members for Target for Today Mission!

Post by Isgrimnur »

In.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

In. I tend to get one-shotted in these things. Expect Table 3-3, Result 4-6!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In, but I'm too big to be a Tail gunner.
My copy came in today and all I've done is open it up to see what's there. A lot. Thing must weigh 5 pounds or more.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:30 pm In, but I'm too big to be a Tail gunner.
My copy came in today and all I've done is open it up to see what's there. A lot. Thing must weigh 5 pounds or more.
The books are pretty meaty. I strongly recommend downloading from the Target for Today BGG website a flowchart which will make gameplay really easy to follow. Nice step by step breakdown of which rules and tables to reference at each stage of the game.

I don’t know if I’m using this one but here’s one file:

Flowchart for TFT
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In - hope I don't get airsick!

Dear Mom - I've been assigned to a bomber squad today. We'll get some revenge on those bloody krauts for all these years of bombing!

Dear Lorraine - I have been assigned to a bomber squad and will be flying dangerous missions soon. I may get shot down any day. Think of me often. I shall endeavor to entreat with you ever Friday night that I may. Know that you are my one true love!

Dear Marianne - I have been assigned to a bomber squad and will be flying dangerous missions soon. I may get shot down any day. Think of me often. I shall endeavor to entreat with you ever Saturday night that I may. Know that you are my one true love!

Dear Margaret - I have been assigned to a bomber squad and will be flying dangerous missions soon. I may get shot down any day. Think of me often. I shall endeavor to entreat with you ever Sunday night that I may. Know that you are my one true love!

Note to self - I cannot get free time on Monday - Thursday, will have to let the other ladies know that I regretfully, will have no time for my one true love for now.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Reporting for duty
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm just here for the jacket.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm in. I didn't meant to be. I really just wandered in here for nap, and here I am at 10,000 feet, so why the hell not? Black 'Pigeoneye' Hawk, reporting for duty.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LawBeefaroni wrote:In. I tend to get one-shotted in these things. Expect Table 3-3, Result 4-6!
I miss our Wings Of War OctoCon games. Image
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In... terested. Assuming I only have to check in like once a day.

Either keep me close to or far away from Lawbeef. I've seen him in action... briefly... many times before.

I would suggest crossposting in the forum games forum for viability if you come up shy of 10.
I miss our Wings Of War OctoCon games.
Don't you still do Star Wars and Old West versions of Wings?
Dear
Goodbye Mary, goodbye Jane,

Will we ever meet again?

Vera says we will. Oh, wait American.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:10 pm
I miss our Wings Of War OctoCon games.
Don't you still do Star Wars and Old West versions of Wings?

There's usually an X-Wing game that breaks out. And I usually have my Old West layout...not exactly WoW, but minis nonetheless.

This year I'm going to be bringing a different minis game, Gangs of Rome. Gang fighting on the streets of Rome. It's a hoot. And the terrain is really fun.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I believe we have our ten bodies, um crewmembers.

Now using the most advanced selection techniques ever devised to make sure people are optimally paired with their position on the bomber I am now going to draw some names written on a piece of paper.

Bombadier: Blackhawk
Navigator: Isgrimnur
Pilot: Smoove_B
Co-Pilot: dbt1949
Engineer/Top Turret: Raydude
Radio: TheMix
Ball Turret: Hentzau
Left Waist: Lawbeefaroni
Right Waist: Zenn7
Tail Turret: LordMortis

And using a random historical nose art name generator I found on BGG the name of your B-17F bomber is...

HELLCAT AGNES! Long may she fly and keep her crew safe!

Enjoy some leave, gents. Soon the first blow shall be struck against fascism! (or someones gonna get a bad case of frostbite after a bad roll on the frostbite table after the heating system fails)
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:03 pm Navigator: Isgrimnur
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Here are some pics of the real Hellcat Agnes:

Enlarge Image

I did roll on the name generator a few times until I found something that spoke to me. Also, I didn't seem to get anywhere close to rolling a 5 for the name "Ass Bandits". Would also have been happy with "Fertile Myrtle" "E-Rat-icator" or "Duchess of Fubar"
Black lives matter!

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Enlarge Image
Black lives matter!

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ball Turret? Oy.

Lawbeef, I think you might not be the first one eliminated...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I go, I'm taking you all with me. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't make me come up there.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:37 pm Ball Turret? Oy.
Don't worry Hentzau, if something happens I have a plan.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lawbeef, I think you might not be the first one eliminated...
Huh? Can't hear you, I'm trying to light my cigar and this damned ammo crate keeps getting in the way...

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:50 pm

:D

I remember that episode well!
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It's okay that I have a st..st..st..stu..stu.. speak issue?
Also, my w..w..w..words aren't so good. But I d..d..did f..f..fin..finish third grade. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm a tail gun!!!

Bang Bang!!! Bang bang bang!!! Click

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sorry, folks. We ran out of gas.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:17 pm Sorry, folks. We ran out of gas.
We'll j..j..ju...just...glide down. Right?

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:17 pm Sorry, folks. We ran out of gas.
Never trust anyone who doesn't know their cartoons.

I'm waiting to be able to say "Messerschmidts! A whole mess of Messerschmidts!"
Spoiler:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:50 pm
I think you mean you have an angle and I'm not sure I like how that turned out
Spoiler:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What a co-incidence! My wife's name is Agnes!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Relax, LM.
As long as no one b..b..br..brings along the L..L..Loc..Locnar we should be fine.

Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm thinking corporate sponsorship, boys!

Enlarge Image

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In addition to the privilege of taking passing shots (which is something tiggers do best,) the Internet informs me that my duties are the unauthorized practice of law. Interesting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:03 pm Bombadier: Blackhawk
I was a little worried, but according to the diagram, I get to spend the battle in bomb bay!

:wub:

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:clap:

Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Question for imgur users. Do you have an account or are you just uploading without registering? I’d like to do more of these AAR types of threads in the future so I’ll probably be using imgur a lot. I wish I could just upload straight from google photos but imgur is pretty easy.
Black lives matter!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've done both. Back when the movie thread was active, I generally just uploaded without logging in. But I believe that those hosted images get timed out eventually. Not 100% sure. But when I was uploading some stuff for a TableTop Simulator mod, I created an account. Hoping that it would be more stable. But I don't actually have evidence either way.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I do both. I prefer to rehost drive-bys without logging in so that I don't have to worry about breaking a thread history if I want to clean up my profile.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thanks for the info! Hope the dice are good to you when the mission finally takes off.
Black lives matter!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who put Vapo-Rub in my mask?!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Up to 60 degrees below 0???

"Dearest Mum, please send thermal long johns. ASAP!"

Edit:
Air chief: "What's your call sign son?"
Me: "Zenn"
Air chief: "Zenn7, got it."
Me: "Zenn7?"
Air chief: "Uhh…. 7's a lucky number. You look like a lucky kid."
Air chief <under his breath after I walk away> "Didn't want to tell the poor bugger, he's the 7th person to occupy that position on that flying deathtrap."