[RIP] Rick Loomis (Flying Buffalo)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

[RIP] Rick Loomis (Flying Buffalo)

Post by Smoove_B »

Just catching up on the news, but apparently Rick Loomis died a few weeks ago at the age of 72:
The U.S. Army veteran and Scottsdale, Arizona, resident created the wargame Nuclear Destruction, was a founding member and past president of the Game Manufacturers Association (GAMA) and founder of Flying Buffalo, the publisher of Ken St. Andre’s Tunnels & Trolls roleplaying game.
As a kid, I knew of Flying Buffalo mainly for their D&D supplements (city source books) and of course Grimtooth's Tricks and Traps.

I found this interesting:
Appelcline noted that with the closure of original Dungeons & Dragons publisher TSR in 1997, Flying Buffalo became the world’s oldest publisher of pen-and-paper RPGs.
Maybe not worth an entire topic of discussion, but Rick indirectly influenced my gaming life and I figured I'd share for anyone else that didn't know. RIP
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Re: [RIP] Rick Loomis (Flying Buffalo)

Post by Smoove_B »

And linked in that article is a "What happens now":
Is Flying Buffalo going to keep publishing?

“Down the road there will also be new products for T&T (Tunnels & Trolls), MSPE, Nuclear War, and Catalyst books like new Traps and Citybooks. They may not come as quickly as we’d like right now, as there is a lot to do in regards to taking care of Rick’s estate and Flying Buffalo. But rest assured, we are soldiering onward. That’s what Rick wanted us to do – and we plan to do just that. We have numerous projects in various stages of completion and we will find a way to bring those forward.”
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I remember one glorious week of summer camp (1982, I believe...my last year as a scout) where I and two other older scouts played Tunnels and Trolls all week long. We were old enough that there were no Merit Badges to work on, so we spent the week doing T&T as well as building scoutcraft projects (including building a giant loom to make hammocks and lounge chairs.)

Never played it again after that, but it’s a very fond memory.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rick was an institution with a permanent booth at Origins Game Fair. I had a few good conversations with him about Nuclear War, T&T and their app.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Bundle of Holding is (and has been) offering a Flying Buffalo PDF bundle and they're giving 10% of the proceeds to the Loomis family to help pay whatever medical bills remain.
Starter Collection - $7.95

CityBooks I-III
Grimtooth's Traps 1-2
Treasure Vault

Bonus Collection - $23.29 (currently)

CityBooks IV-VII
Grimtooth's Traps 3-4
City of the Gods Map Pack
Mercenaries, Spies, & Private Eyes
Mugshots - Pacific Clipper
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Many moons ago I had his Ace of Aces game and an add on or two. It was quite the thing for the solo gamer before computers,
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Yikes, this has been a bad summer for game design luminaries, with Rick Loomis and Richard Berg dying. Very sad.