OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by YellowKing »

Tao wrote:I ordered Mechs vs. Minions from Riot Games a few days ago and it arrived this evening.
Great choice Tao. Mechs vs Minions is one of my favorite games. Everything about it is just top notch and pure fun. And you can't beat the amazing components with tray space for everything.

I'd kill for a sequel or expansion.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

With my daughter home for two weeks it will be the perfect time to teach her how to play my newly arrived copy of Rallyman GT! (Or at least I can play with the solo AI variant while she does some online learning for the next two weeks)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hope this thread sees a surge in popularity. Wish it was for a more uplifting reason, but any way to beat cabin fever...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You know, I've put in 2 games of Arkham Horror board game 3rd edition over the last few days, and I'm still really liking it. I got it on sale over the holidays, and was worried the strong narrative driven game play would make replay value a problem, but I've yet to win the first scenario after 4 tries (attempt 5 is about to begin). If you like games with a lot of story, this one is a keeper.
Covfefe!
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

My job is impacted by the pandemic and I've been working non-stop for about three weeks, long days (not complaining -- I am happy to have a job). Finally I got Saturday off. I unplugged and played Descent 2nd edition with the app for solo play. I played (literally) from 8am until 6pm. My wife laughed at me for starting that early. But I was determined to get in some solid play time. I had a blast, and escaped (for a time) our very current bizarre real world.

Probably fueled by that, my wife and daughter wanted to play a game that evening, so we played Ticket to Ride, which they both love :doh: and we had a good time.

So -- a day of unplugged gaming!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I rarely make impulse buys, particularly on games not on sale, but I broke down and grabbed RENEGADE the other day. Quarantine just had me itching for a "learning curve" game that I could devote some focus to.

For those unfamiliar, it was designed by Richard Wilkins aka Ricky Royal. If you're familiar with his tutorial videos, particularly his famous Mage Knight tutorial, you would not be surprised that his game shares many of its card-combo puzzle solving. I first played it at GenCon a couple of years ago, and absolutely loved it.

In RENEGADE you play a hacker determined to bring down one of 5 SMCs (Super Massive Computers). These AI have started controlling the people they were built to server, and as a Renegade you are one of the few citizens with the know-how and willpower to bring them down and restore humanity.

The game is played on a series of 5 server tiles which can be places in multiple combinations (another Mage Knight-ish element). In deck building fashion you will play cards (commands) to fight the SMC's counter measures and upload your own programs to fight the machines.

The most interesting mechanic (and what makes it particularly exceptional for solo play) is that to bring down each SMC requires getting past three (or four, in the hardest boss) objectives. These objectives are chosen randomly from a deck, and are designed to get progressively harder as the game plays out. This leads to very high replayability, as there are something like 300+ combinations of objectives you can pull along with the variablity in the bosses themselves.

You will always have 3 rounds (and your full 15 card deck) to successfully complete each objective before the AI unleashes countermeasures. If you succeed, you may be rewarded in the next phase, or at the very least be punished less harshly. If you fail, the next objective will be harder to complete. It is possible to still win the game even after failing all three objectives, but succeeding in one or more will make your chances much higher.

The "timer" of knowing you only have three chances to influence the board to meet your objectives using only the cards you have available makes the game extremely puzzly, but in a good way. There are multiple ways to do the same thing using different powers, and figuring out the most efficient way to do so is extremely rewarding. You can even pull off crazy combos like buying a card, using that card to buy a *different* card, then using the powers of *that* card to pull off some feat on the board you couldn't do otherwise.

It supports up to 5 players, but Ricky Royal loves solo games so the single player scaling is just stellar. If you want a solo experience that is deeply rewarding but with a unique theme, it's definitely worth checking out. At just $40, it won't break the bank either. Highly recommended.
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

Thanks YellowKing. I was always curious about Renegade, and now I'm intrigued. Particularly at that price point.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I tried the solo mode of Atlantis Rising. It hews closely to the standard multiplayer game, with disasters ramping up at the same pace. To maintain balance, you have access to two special meeples. The Hologram, which is made of nifty translucent plastic, is an additional worker with powerful, variable abilities. The Automaton accompanies normal workers to make their actions more likely to succeed. The additions work well, giving you a broader decision space without having to go multi-handed.

I played at the second difficulty level (2 of 5) and lost, as Atlantis fell into the sea before I could complete the machine that would transport us to safety. Sorry, Atlanteans.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

tylertoo wrote:Thanks YellowKing. I was always curious about Renegade, and now I'm intrigued. Particularly at that price point.
One tip - I recommend checking out gameplay videos vs just reading the manual. While the manual is thorough, it's a LOT of info to absorb and it's hard to wrap your head around strategy without seeing the game played. In the manual's favor, it does include a detailed first round walkthrough that you can follow along with.

Ricky Royal's videos on the game are of course a must-see, but I also found Beyond Solitaire's playthrough to be incredibly helpful. Liz does a fantastic job walking you through her thought processes for each decision, which really helped me understand the strategic nuances.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I own Renegade having backed it on Kickstarter, but I didn’t find it as engaging unfortunately. I’m not a fan of VR themed games, to be honest. But even without that I found the game too “mathy” for my taste. I could see the puzzle behind it too easily. Of course that’s just my two cents.

I think I’m putting away Arkham Horror for a bit after losing yet again. I need to assemble a crew to take it on, methinks. Next up for quarantine solo gaming time is some Descent 2nd edition with the app. I’m feeling lucky!
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Ordered Renegade yesterday. It's supposed to arrive April 11 - 14. Don't know if I'll like it, but it looks interesting. Looking forward to it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sorry if this has been already covered in the first 21 pages of this thread, but are there any recommendations for solo board games that would work for / keep entertained a 7 year old (boy) and/or a 10 year old (girl)? Looking for options to keep the kids entertained when I tell them to mind their own business while I work. Mainly the 7 YO.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:Sorry if this has been already covered in the first 21 pages of this thread, but are there any recommendations for solo board games that would work for / keep entertained a 7 year old (boy) and/or a 10 year old (girl)? Looking for options to keep the kids entertained when I tell them to mind their own business while I work. Mainly the 7 YO.
I forget if you have this but do you have Mice and Mystics?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124 ... nd-mystics
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:55 am
El Guapo wrote:Sorry if this has been already covered in the first 21 pages of this thread, but are there any recommendations for solo board games that would work for / keep entertained a 7 year old (boy) and/or a 10 year old (girl)? Looking for options to keep the kids entertained when I tell them to mind their own business while I work. Mainly the 7 YO.

I don't - that's a good suggestion.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My kids love playing card games together and will do so for hours, if I let them. Love Letter, Batman Fluxx, Exploding Kittens, Goat Lords, Avocado Smash, etc.

Not many solo games for them to do by themselves, but all of those are simple enough and allow enough win conditions for all the kids to get on board.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Tao

Post by Tao »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:34 am Sorry if this has been already covered in the first 21 pages of this thread, but are there any recommendations for solo board games that would work for / keep entertained a 7 year old (boy) and/or a 10 year old (girl)? Looking for options to keep the kids entertained when I tell them to mind their own business while I work. Mainly the 7 YO.
You can also check the "OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?" thread, last page starting around April 6th, someone asked a similar question and there were a number of responses with lists of possible games.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:34 am Sorry if this has been already covered in the first 21 pages of this thread, but are there any recommendations for solo board games that would work for / keep entertained a 7 year old (boy) and/or a 10 year old (girl)? Looking for options to keep the kids entertained when I tell them to mind their own business while I work. Mainly the 7 YO.
Stuffed Fables might be a good option, too. Very cooperative and more forgiving than Mice.

You play as stuffed animals come to life at night to protect your owner from evil. The game board is a spiral bound book that you flip through, so each page is a different map for the scenario.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

At that age my kids really enjoyed No Stress Chess. The card system helps offset the age difference.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Forbidden Island would probably be the safest place to start, as it's primarily a kid-friendly co-op that ought to play well with the older sister but can also be played solo.

One Deck Dungeon or it's sequel, One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows, would also be a good choice assuming the necessary dice-chucking doesn't drive you round the bend. Star Realms: Frontiers would be a solid choice too for some space-themed sci-fi combat, and it plays terrifically as a solo or two-player game.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:12 am

I think it has a good campaign for the littles, can be soloed and...miniatures!

Flash Point Fire Rescue is a ton of fun too!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/100 ... ire-rescue
Black lives matter!

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The nice thing about Flash Point for kids is that it's very easy to tweak the rules and setup to adjust the difficulty to wherever you need it to be.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Neat. Wasn't there an OO forum game of Flash Point where everyone got killed?
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:37 am
$iljanus wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Neat. Wasn't there an OO forum game of Flash Point where everyone got killed?
I don't know but from many a game I've played that certainly can happen. I think the rule book doesn't say anything about firefighters getting killed and the firefighter is just thrown outside the building if caught in an explosion. But the unfortunate millennials crowded into that brownstone owned by a greedy boomer landlord who didn't install working smoke detectors, had a dozen appliances plugged into a power strip daisy chained with more power strips and for some reason had hazardous waste stored there can get killed rather easily...

Piece of advice when playing with the littles. Make sure the cat and dog get rescued or at the very least miraculously run out of the building after it collapses.
Black lives matter!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just found out there’s a solo version of Clank! that can be played with an app.

I’m really excited to hear that, as it unfortunately landed with a big clunk at my house.

EDIT: Two excellent developments last night. First, I thought the solo version of Clank! with the app is quite fun. It sets up different "quests" (i.e. "clear the 5th card in the dungeon row within 2 turns") that give rewards if you beat them and generate "threat" (the equivalent of another player's progress) if you don't. Played two games, winning one and getting crushed in the depths in the other.

Second, Little B 11.1 saw me playing and decided to give it another go. It really clicked with her this time (playing without the Wonder Twins 6.10 helped) and she absolutely loved it. I can see this one hitting the table far more often moving forward.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Amazon has Terraforming Mars for $40. The overall theme doesn’t interest me in the least, but I’ve heard such good things about the gameplay.

Thoughts on the value strictly for solo play?
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:28 pm
Forbidden Island would probably be the safest place to start, as it's primarily a kid-friendly co-op that ought to play well with the older sister but can also be played solo.
So my wife and daughter and I have had some fair amount of boardgaming time amid this virus shit, and their tastes in games are pretty limited. They both loved Ticket to Ride until one game in which my wife accidentally blocked my daughter from a major route and the goodwill disappeared, along with FUN!

So... I pulled out Forbidden Island, which is fully cooperative, and they have not looked back. Which is good because I can't stand Ticket to Ride.

Our daughter is not a youngster, she's 19 and home from college, so this gaming timing is an unexpected perk of this virus because otherwise she'd be a) at her school or b) with boyfriend. And... she is great at strategy games! She is one step ahead of me and two steps ahead of my wife in determining the optimal moves for all of us in Forbidden Island.

I am going to see if I can interest them in Mice and Mystics, which I own but really have not played.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:51 am Amazon has Terraforming Mars for $40. The overall theme doesn’t interest me in the least, but I’ve heard such good things about the gameplay.

Thoughts on the value strictly for solo play?
Tough. But a blast. I can’t recommend Terraforming Mars enough. It’s a solid game.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I feel obligated to share this story, so bear with me.

This weekend, I finally cracked back open Kingdom Death Monster for my solo play. I decided to start all over from the first encounter, recreate my settlement, and finally get into some regular hunting. My table is far too small, so it is all a little hilarious to see me crouched over the table, with like gobs of card decks scattered and a giant box of various items nearby. I have also painted my lion and the four starting survivors, so they look fantastic (although I still need to varnish one of them). Of course, I named the four survivors after the Scooby Doo gang, with beefy Fred, long-haired topless Daphne, crouched and scared looking Velma, and tall, lanky Shaggy.

The first story is always a little brutal, and we took some major hits. Most of the hits were on Velma, and she began to bleed with two blood tokens. I kept getting AI cards where the lion targeted knocked down survivors, which is one of the worst things to get (as knocked down survivors tend to be wounded). He also had enrage, which gave him a +1 to all damage, which is also brutal when he often gets 2 hits worth, normally, 2 damage each (now three each). To make matters worse, he got a lucky hit and decapitated Velma when she was wounded, killing her instantly. Still, we managed to make it home with only the one loss and no real permanent damage (last time I did the first story, he did tons of Brain damage, leaving my survivors with all sorts of disorders).

Then we get back, I create a new survivor to replace Velma (named Sophia). We gear up, spending basically all of our stuff on armor and weapons. I got some nice darts to do some ranged damage and Shaggy had gotten a +1 luck (he crits on a 9 or 10 instead of just a 10), so I equipped him with a luck stone and got the needed colors to activate it (he crits on an 8, 9, 10 now).

We go on the hunt, first round he comes right at one of the survivors and gets in a nasty hit, mitigated some by a dodge and some armor. We go in to attack him and I lead with Shaggy. Shaggy gets two hits, but fails to wound (despite his high crit rate). I use Shaggy's survival to get another action point and attack again. Two misses. I feel a bit frustrated to have put a lot into his crit rate only to not get any hits (and I only needed to roll 6+). Daphne runs up, gets one hit with her Founding Stone (starting weapon). I pull "Crushed Windpipe" location. This location says that, if I get a critical hit, I roll on a table. If I get a 1-9, the lion is knocked down, if I get a 10, he dies instantly at the end of his next monster turn! So I roll. I get a 10. Whoo hoo, at least he will be knocked down. I roll again. I get a 10. My eyes blink. This is going to be a two-turn hunt. In KDM, that is pretty amazing. It goes to his turn and he pulls... a card that has him sniffing to target and get a bonus on his next turn. Oops... sorry lion.

Triumphant we return back home, so I pull the settlement event card - Murder. It means one of my survivors instantly kills another survivor. Fred ends up murdering Sophia, but becomes this respected hunter for his prowess (although it means that the card will come back in a few more lantern years). It seems like the "Crouched Woman" model may be cursed, as that one keeps getting killed. Maybe I need to varnish her to protect her?

It was quite a ride for such a brutal game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I paid $5 to unlock "The Delve" in the Descent app. It's a randomly generated sequence of 6 battles that you play through as a sort of mini-campaign. You gain XP, items, and skills between each stage, so there's a great sense of advancement without requiring the 20 hour investment that the campaign requires. I got through the first 4 battles tonight, and will hopefully finish it up tomorrow.

While I struggled mightily with the difficulty of the campaign, this mini-campaign has felt much more doable. It also probably helps that I'm playing with 3 heroes instead of 2. While the options do get a little bit overwhelming as I gain a bunch of skills, relics, and advanced weapons, having a more balanced party with more opportunities for both attacks and support make a HUGE difference (even if there are more monsters). I'm also playing with a couple house rules to tone down the difficulty, but that's just because I'm a wuss. :)

This is my first time back to Descent since buying it, and I'd consider it a huge success due to this app addition.

(Side note: Is the Shadow of Nerekhall xpac out of print? The FF site shows it on their site, but it seems impossible to find anywhere.)

EDIT: Finished the mini-campaign last night, took just under 3 hours total. Had a great time with it. The battles were appropriately challenging, my characters were able to level up and get more powerful in a streamlined way, and the six different random scenarios were all very fun. Definitely my new favorite way to play Descent. I just wish the Imperial Assault app had a similar option.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I'm not really a solo gamer myself, although I would have been into it when I was a teen. Just wanted to point out if anyone missed them, that SU&SD has now done a couple of episodes on free print and play solo games. Some of them looked pretty cool, like Bargain Basement Bathysphere.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thoughts on Street Masters as a solo game? Looking for something outside my typical sword & sorcery niche, and this looks pretty neat.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's probably my single most favorite solo game. It plays quick and has more variety than you can possibly calculate just using the core box. It's fun to learn the individual characters and their styles and then use that to change up the enemies you face and in what venue. I think the Sadler brothers hit it out of the park with Street Masters. The general design (the ability to swap out themed decks) makes for quick setup, play and cleanup. I completely endorse it as a solo game and I think I'd even play it with someone else. I've played with 3 and 4 and it was at that point it really bogs down. Solo? It's perfect.

See here, here and here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Tao

Post by Tao »

Street Masters is very good and play's well as a solo game. I have played it maybe a dozen times so far and each time with two characters.

The recommended starting scenario is fighting The Brotherhood on the Gone Ballistic map and I concur that's a good entry point as the other maps and factions ramp up the difficulty really fast. If The Brotherhood on Gone Ballistic is a 4 the next recommended faction is a 6+. Took me several tries to beat the Cartel. Each character also has a story mode, which is my next goal after trying out a couple more fighters. Oh and while the mechanics are not overly complex there are a lot of little things to remember. I found I kept forgetting some of the rules early on, flipping enemy faction cards, how movement works, different damage types etc. so keep the "cheat sheet" cards and the rule book handy. I also had to look up questionable rules/actions a few times, I found this a really good resource; Street Masters Rules. I also have a link somewhere that rates the various factions and maps by difficulty. I will see if I can find it if your interested.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Street Masters is in my top 10 games of all time, it’s that good. Both with others and solo.

I even bought Brook City, the 80s cop show themed version; and then backed Altar Quest, the fantasy themed one, and Hour of Need, the superhero version.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks all, it has definitely moved up to the top of my list.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You don't need my recommendation, but I'll also throw my hat in the ring as to how good Street Masters is. I really can't wait until we get settled from the move and I can set it back up and resume painting. It's been packed up for a few months now and I'm dying to get back to it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

FYI, a digital version of Street Masters is in the works.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got that email notice earlier. I still think the analog version is much more fun. It’s just not the same as sitting around a table laughing it up with friends as you push around miniatures and hold those cards you so often agonize over. I actually don’t think I’ll even get the digital version in light of this. I much prefer seeing how combinations of bosses, stages and characters play out on my table.
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I have a similar feeling about Gloomhaven digital.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, same here. I don’t find digital ports offensive or wrong. I just prefer having some aspects of my recreational time not based around a computer screen.
Covfefe!