Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

If memory serves, Apex Theropod: Collected Edition is slated for January fulfillment for USA backers. Suffice to say, I'm quite looking forward to hatching clutches of voracious carnivore eggs…

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, they just posted an update yesterday:
On December 28th, Apex cargo arrived in Indianapolis, however the cargo is still on the train and hasn’t unloaded as of yet. Once it has, the freight trucker will be scheduling delivery to the fulfillment center! So close!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was doing better.... :(

Then I backed the new Awaken Realms one (at Commander, and with sundrop). And I bumped my Core Space: First Born to All In.

Still waiting on Etherfields, Tainted Grail, and Nemesis: Lockdown. Plus I backed The Hunters A.D. 2114.

I think I'm doing better at backing fewer. But I tend to buy in at higher $$$. But I think I'm still ahead. Maybe. But seeing Lordnine's list does make me feel better. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I also have a Kickstarter problem, at least until things start shipping in the next few months.

Out of the Box (book) - July 2020 - addons in production
Star Realms Add-ons - July 2020 - still in production
Zombicide 2nd Ed - Nov 2020 - still in production
Car Wars 6th Ed - Nov 2020 - still in production
Cloudspire: Ankhar's Plunder - Nov 2020 - still in production
Paranoia: Project Infinite Hole - Dec 2020 - still in production
Cafe Chaos - Dec 2020 - still in production
Oath - Jan 2021
Stat Trackers: Friends & Foes - Jon 2021
Tiny Epic Pirates - Mar 2021
Reaper Bones - April 2021
Ankh - May 2021
Dead Reckoning - May 2021
Townsfolk Tussle - Sept 2021
Vindication: Chronicles - Jan 2022
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I had backed ISS Vanguard, but dropped the pledge. Awaken Realms games always look so amazing to me at first, but then I start seeing all the fiddling required and lose interest. I got a refund on my Nemesis pledge a while back too.

Here is what I have coming:
Tanares Adventures and Arena with quite a few add-ons.
Middara (I believe close to an All-In) - First Wave - should be here in February, since it is already on the boats, IIRC
Cloudspire: Ankar's Plunder
Anachrony: Fractures of the Spire + Immortal Box - Arriving Sunday, shipped by Quartermaster
Hyperspace (All-in) - I am weary of Petersen Games and never knowing just what year their games will come, maybe 2021, it was supposed to be 2020
Dungeon Universalis
Core Space: First Born (All-In) - damn it, you guys got me into this, and it is the minis war game/RPG I have been looking for forever!
Battlestations: Dirtside - I am a little worried he isn't going to deliver on this one, he has pushed it back and seems locked up with the ruleset.
Kingdom RPG (2nd Edition)

That isn't as bad as I thought. I really did a lot less backing this year than previous years (actually, some of those were backed more than a year ago). I am also not really seeing much on the horizon that I have to get, other than the new solo friendly Hoplomachus.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:07 pm Oath - Jan 2021
According to the latest update, this will be more like March-April (which is fine by me, since I think Oath will need multiple in-person plays to really show off what it has to offer).
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

In 2020 I moved into doing board game design full time so most of the games I back I consider market research. Kickstarter is one of the best ways to stay on top of new ways of handling mechanics and see what the new normal is when it comes to production quality. A few items on my list I never would have backed otherwise.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:53 pm I've come to like both BoardGameCo and the Quackalope - our observations/likes really overlap. In particular for the Quakalope he really focuses on story/narrative, which is my #1 reason for playing a solo game.

Wow, I never know what I'll find when I pop in here. This looks pretty cool and I'm a sucker for space exploration themed games. That this is cooperative and has a story also satisfies my itch. Backed at core level for now.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I'm waiting on... (edit: I removed the months for better overview)

2021 Potato Inferno
2021 Pitch & Plakks
2021 Millennium Blades
2021 HK: Summer 2019
2021 Valor & Villainy
2021 Chai: High Tea
2021 Waterborne
2021 Alice in a Mad Tea Party
2021 Manchukuo
2021 Onimaru
2021 GPS, Sequoia, Mountain Goats
2021 EU: The Price of Power
2021 Lords of Vegas
2021 Middara
2021 Steampunk Rally Fusion
2021 Gorinto
2021 Sea of Legends
2021 Ruins: Death Binder
2021 Wonderland's War
2021 SmartHalo 2
2021 Adventures in Neverland
2021 Sanctuary
2021 Tiny Epic Pirates
2021 Frosthaven
2021 Sleeve Kings
2021 Monumental: African Empires
2021 Eila and Something Shiny
2021 Euthia: Torment of Resurrection
2021 Dungeonology
2021 Street Masters Expansions
2021 Twisted Fables
2021 Dollars to Donuts
2021 Monsters on Board
2021 Roll Player Adventures
2021 Western Legends: Blood Money
2021 Cartographers
2021 Hybris - Disordered Cosmos
2021 Starlight
2021 Mission Catastrophe
2021 The Warp
2021 Too Many Bones
2021 Night Parade of a Hundred Yokai
2021 Project L: Finesse
2021 Set a Watch
2021 Rurik
2021 Die of the Dead
2021 In Too Deep
2021 Paleoamericans
2021 USS Freedom
2022 Vindication Chronicles Expansion

I do have to say I'm on a crowdfunding stop now. 2021 is going to be a year of playing and receiving. We'll see about 2022...

Oh yeah and add ISS Vanguard to the list to when it finishes, that's the last one.

Positive side is that those are a lot of unboxings for my channel :mrgreen:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I'm amazed there is so little overlap between our lists...and beyond that so many games I've never heard of before.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:44 pm
Anachrony: Fractures of the Spire + Immortal Box - Arriving Sunday, shipped by Quartermaster
Dear Lord, Mindclash really does give you your money's worth. The amount of new material and the numerous upgrades for what I paid for this kickstarter is fantastic. Tonight when I get home from work I will begin the long process of organizing all this stuff into the new storage solution included with the upgrade pledge. I expect it to take hours, but it will be worth it the next time I bring this beauty out for a game. :wub:

Edit: an hour into going through everything and I'm even more convinced this was worth every penny. The number of variants they've included for this game is staggering. Argent: The Consortium and Dungeon Alliance are the only games that come close to having this much replay value due to variants.
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Yeah it looks absolutely awesome for sure :wub:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The ever popular Slay the Spire video game is getting a board game adaptation and Kickstarter:
The website's description says the game will be "a cooperative deckbuilding adventure. Craft a unique deck, encounter bizarre creatures, discover relics of immense power, and finally become strong enough to Slay the Spire!"
Visit board game website here to sign up for notification when it goes live (Spring 2021).
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Darwin's Journey went up on KS today. Heavier euro style game from the designer of Barrage. Barrage is my top game of last year and probably my favorite worker placement game of all time so this definitely has my attention. Thankfully, this campaign is not being run by the dumpster fire of a company that published Barrage. I looked into their track record and they seem pretty reliable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EzeKieL wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 am Yeah it looks absolutely awesome for sure :wub:
What I really appreciate is that the modules essentially tell different stories within the world of Anachrony.

I'm still sorting and organizing things, but I already know I need to get some labels made for these trays. There's just so much stuff.

Also, I think it's fantastic that Turczi has included a separate solo AI that will allow you to play most (if not all) of the expansions/modules in certain combinations. I really feel like I can play this for a month straight and not see the same game twice...either solo or multiplayer.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

What came with the Infinity Box was breathtaking. I only wish I had gotten the resin tokens.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I started a solo game last night to try the new solo AI for the base game. It's about the same as the last edition, but a little smoother. It's surprisingly easy to use (reminds me a little of a simplified version of the solo AI from Navajo Wars/Commancheria). But next I want to get my hands on the advanced solo AI that lets you play with the expansions. That looks fantastic. Turczi obviously loves the challenge of creating these things and has carved out a little niche for himself in the industry.

And yeah, I have a feeling I'll eventually get the resin tokens. I'll bling this game.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Fallen Land 2nd Edition finally on KS:

It looks like they abandoned the idea of updating all the art on the cards (which I never had a problem with) and they're offering upgrade kits as well as access to the expansions.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Seppe has the first edition he got on the cheap at Gencon a few years back. I've played it two or three times and really enjoyed it. Hopefully he'll get in on this.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's a beast of a game, but the number of variables and insane number of cards really make for an excellent story that unfolds. I am not sure I'd play it with a group, but the solo games I've had were quite enjoyable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

2 players is fun and doesn't take an exorbitant amount of time per player...well...unless that player has issues with AP or taking forever on their turn in ANY game, that is.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I think I just got my shipping notice for Tainted Grail. Does 25 pounds sound right? :shock:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe so. Did you do one wave or two? If one, it should actually be more.

edit: I just got my notice. I'm just getting the 2nd wave of campaign stuff without the monster minis as I did the split shipping. The weight of my package is a little over 11 pounds. So 24 pounds for one wave shipping without the minis sounds right after all. I've seen some folks on the KS comments talk about a near 50 pound shipment with the all in pledges (minis, game mats,etc..).

Also, seems like the 2nd and 3rd campaigns address the issue a lot of folks had with the grind'y nature of trying to light Menhirs. I know some were house ruling ways around it. I need to go back and just finish it myself.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:57 am Fallen Land 2nd Edition finally on KS:

It looks like they abandoned the idea of updating all the art on the cards (which I never had a problem with) and they're offering upgrade kits as well as access to the expansions.
So, the art just does not do it for me. But then I look at the All-In Pledge and I see $175, which is a shock these days, particularly when you are getting a Neoprene mat and a ton of extras. It seems like most board game KS pledges START at $175 now, and the All-In is like "Your Home."

Speaking of spending too much, I have Tainted Grail coming Saturday as well. I was in at the King's pledge level, and it is a 20lbs package. I have no clue what I am getting. I've not put any time into Tainted Grail, so this might be what jump starts me playing it. To be honest, I would have been more excited if it was Middara or Tanares.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not really sure about that pledge; the $118 seems to be more in line for what I'd expect given what's being provided at that level. The amount of cards in the game is truly bonkers, and I get that art is subjective. As someone that has absolutely not enjoyed a game because of the art/style, I definitely understand, but I can say that for this game it wasn't an issue for me as the story/narrative elements that emerge from the cards was just so awesome.

Even the game play mechanics aren't anything to brag about and calculating the numbers you need to roll can sometimes be a chore. However, the story that comes out of the randomness is really awesome, and given the variables, as a solo game it feels near-limitless.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am I believe so. Did you do one wave or two?
Single wave, no bonus miniatures. I did actually receive the official shipping notice shortly after posting that. The first was from the automated mailing thing I am signed up for. To be honest, not hugely excited over the game after seeing many reviews and impressions. I've come to realize that long campaign games don't really work with my group because its rare the same group of people will meet regularly enough to make it through, not to mention I've seen that it is not great with 4 players which is the only way I would likely play. I would much prefer a 10-15 hour campaign with no padding that I might see the end of to any of these 40+ hour mammoth games.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tainted Grail is more of a solo game, in my opinion. I wouldn't play it with others simply because it's like 7th Continent in that regards. Playing it multiplayer would be a chaotic mess. 7th Continent may actually be worse in that way, now that I think about it. But the end result is close: no real turn structure and frequent stops for long narrative breaks makes for a nightmare of a game if not played solo.

Most reviews are positive, I've found. With the exception of lighting Menhirs in the base campaign. Apparently that's so annoying that they changed that mechanic up in the follow up campaigns. As it is, some folks house rule in a "teleportation" rule to avoid it.

As for the artwork in Fallen Land, I’m usually a snob when it comes to crappy art in a game. The art in Fallen Lands isn’t that bad and really does fit the theme.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just got my notice. 29 lbs. Yikes!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mine's 11 pounds, but it's just the stuff i didn't get from wave 1. i.e. the two expansion campaigns and some other mini expansion stuff. It says arrival on Saturday, but it's already in Chicago as of this morning, so I hope I get it tomorrow so I can start my campaign up again this weekend.
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Damn it, I want my notice.

Hepcat, how do you think it might play with 2? It's just going to be my wife and I playing, most likely.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think it would work as long as you're okay with long pauses for story portions of the game. If your wife enjoys listening to you speak, or vice versa, that's a bonus. Try to make it more entertaining and do your best Gilbert Gottfried voice if not. That should liven things up.

The combat/diplomacy activities take some getting used to as they're unlike any other game I've ever played. But once you wrap your mind around that, it's smooth sailing...well...other than the punishing difficulty level. Some people suggest doing it on the easiest mode possible (story mode, found in the back of the rulebook). I guess even that presents plenty of challenge. However, I'm too old and set in my ways and refuse to play anything below normal as it threatens my manhood and makes me feel inferior. That's life's job, for crying out loud.
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm I think it would work as long as you're okay with long pauses for story portions of the game. If your wife enjoys listening to you speak, or vice versa, that's a bonus. Try to make it more entertaining and do your best Gilbert Gottfried voice if not. That should liven things up.

The combat/diplomacy activities take some getting used to as they're unlike any other game I've ever played. But once you wrap your mind around that, it's smooth sailing...well...other than the punishing difficulty level. Some people suggest doing it on the easiest mode possible (story mode, found in the back of the rulebook). I guess even that presents plenty of challenge. However, I'm too old and set in my ways and refuse to play anything below normal as it threatens my manhood and makes me feel inferior. That's life's job, for crying out loud.
Yeah, we like the storytelling and story mode, so this should work. I'm told they have full voice over in the app, so I'm interested to see how that plays out.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I forgot what I ordered but my Tainted Grail wave 2 box came in. It's HUUGGGGE!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Malificent wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:14 pm I think it would work as long as you're okay with long pauses for story portions of the game. If your wife enjoys listening to you speak, or vice versa, that's a bonus. Try to make it more entertaining and do your best Gilbert Gottfried voice if not. That should liven things up.

Yeah, we like the storytelling and story mode, so this should work. I'm told they have full voice over in the app, so I'm interested to see how that plays out.
oh yeah, i completely forgot about the app for the voice overs! thanks for reminding me!

edit: just checked. no gilbert gottfried option. :cry:
Covfefe!
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:31 pm I'm not really sure about that pledge; the $118 seems to be more in line for what I'd expect given what's being provided at that level. The amount of cards in the game is truly bonkers, and I get that art is subjective. As someone that has absolutely not enjoyed a game because of the art/style, I definitely understand, but I can say that for this game it wasn't an issue for me as the story/narrative elements that emerge from the cards was just so awesome.

Even the game play mechanics aren't anything to brag about and calculating the numbers you need to roll can sometimes be a chore. However, the story that comes out of the randomness is really awesome, and given the variables, as a solo game it feels near-limitless.
Well, crap. Your two card examples were enough to convince me this game is definitely for me.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My buddy Forrest Harris has launched a new kickstarter for a boardgame version of his wild west minis game, Gunfighter's Ball, called Gunfight Royale. A slightly more tongue in cheek version called Gunfight Royale.

I backed it just because GFB is my favorite minis rules set and I would love to be able to play a game of it without having to pull out all of the buildings, etc.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Tao

Post by Tao »

I received an email from Roxley last week stating all of my Dice Throne Adventures stuff had shipped and included a tracking number for UPS. UPS has not updated the tracking information in 5 days :grund: I would gladly pay an extra $15 to $20 dollars for FedEx shipping on my KS orders, I really hate UPS. I've been off of work since Friday and don't go back until Thursday, I was really hoping for some play time, although that was probably unlikely regardless of the shipper.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Tao

Post by Tao »

The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!

Just got my delivery for Dice Throne Adventures, only 21 lbs. so not as hefty as Tainted Grail. :D Mini's look really nice and so far card quality seems good as well. They also did a very nice job of providing storage for everything with a completely empty (initially) extra bin for all the small pieces. Very excited to break this out this weekend.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Looks like my oldest unfulfilled Kickstarter is finally getting close to delivery. It's been so long I don't even remember what I am getting, I think just the core box. In depth unboxing here if you are curious.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My crokinole board arrived!

This was originally intended to be a Christmas present and my wife had forgotten all about it, so when it showed up at my door she was in instant "what the hell did you buy" mode. :D

However, she absolutely LOVED it and it was a big hit with the kids too. We wound up playing almost two hours. This is saying something because though my wife can be dragged into a board game on occasion, the kids almost never have the patience for it.