Arkham Horror - The Card Game

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat »

The wording on her card makes me think only the monster would take the +1 damage.
Spoiler:
Each investigator at your location gets +1 [Combat Skill] .
[Reaction] When an investigator at your location successfully attacks a Monster enemy: That investigator deals +1 damage.
Covfefe!
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Good point.
I was actually wondering about whether the +1 would apply if you were throwing the dynamite into another (adjoining) location. Specifically, from the parlor into the hallway.

Here's how this came up:
Lita was in the Parlor. The Ghoul Priest was in the Hallway with Wendy and Roland. Ghoul Priest had spawned and immediately engaged Roland. Wendy fled to the parlor and recruited Lita.
Roland evaded the Ghoul Priest (who became exhausted), fled to the parlor then threw dynamite into the hallway.
We decided that Lita's +1 to damage would apply, so the Ghoul Priest took 4 damage.
Was that right?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That sounds right to me. I would think that as long as the investigator is attacking a monster, he/she would get Lita's bonus, no matter the attacking investigator's location.
Covfefe!
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Thanks for your help, hepcat! I can usually find answers in the BGG forums, but not in this case.

We're really enjoying this game and are reading this thread to figure out which expansions to get (assuming we have friends who want to play this that much).
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would still poke around BGG for definitive answers as I'm just going from my interpretation of the rules. I always try to find keywords in rules in order to clarify things for me. But you sometimes come across game designers who play a little fast and loose with that.

I'm keeping up with the game's expansions, even though I haven't played at all in months. I've got everything up to the Forgotten Age core. I even picked up the Labyrinths of Lunacy scenario pack, which is meant as a standalone that can be played epic style with up to 12 players (although I'll probably just play with much less than that :wink: ).

But I'm a sucker for all things Lovecraft.
Covfefe!
raydude

Post by raydude »

I bought the core set about a month ago but never had a chance to bring it out to play until this past weekend. My first playthrough was with the training/intro scenario as Roland. I initially set up the game on Friday in my office, then I moved it down to the living room on Saturday so my kids didn't have an excuse to get on the computers. It was really rough; monsters were coming out left and right. I thought to myself "How am I supposed to kill all these things and work toward my objectives?" Then it hit me - I had two sets of encounter cards, one with the correct set of encounters for the scenario and one with the leftovers. In my move to the living room I had grabbed the leftovers by mistake.

I played it through a few more times; I think I was eliminated the first three playthroughs, usually at the last act. Each time I got a little more familiar with the synergy between different assets and events I could play. Thank you Vicious Blow and .45! I finally managed to not die and come to a satisfying (for Arkham Horror) resolution.

I have to say, the balancing act in this game is superb. I found that when I tried to blow through the acts too fast then I didn't have enough assets in play for the final act. Also there were the decisions to either use my assets as meat/brain shields or taking the damage myself so I could still benefit from their bonuses.

I'm thinking of getting my 11 year old to play with me so we can try teaming up to take on Arkham. For that I may need another core set :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't be afraid to play the game on Easy, particularly if you're not into the whole deck building or deck optimization elements. Make no mistake, Easy is still challenging, or at least I should say we found it challenging on our play through of the core and into Dunwich. I think we started off on normal but somewhere around the halfway point of the Dunwich campaign, my buddy finally said maybe we should lower this to easy. By that point, it was too late but we still had fun. I still really like this game - it's amazing to me how the story unfolds with just a bunch of cards. This game is what I wanted the Pathfinder Adventures card game to be, I think.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The game can be brutally difficult, and even unfair at times. But once we started to accept the idea that we were experiencing a story - whether that story emerged with in victory or not - we relaxed and enjoyed it much more. We just pressed forward and took the good with the bad.

I think in the course of the three campaigns we've played so far, we only replayed/restarted a scenario once. Through just plain bad luck we drew a combination of location and encounter cards that literally had us trapped on the starting location with no way out short of death. So we mulliganed and started over.

We just finished up Path to Carcosa, which I enjoyed due to it referencing my namesake. :D
raydude

Post by raydude »

All my playthroughs were on easy and it was only the tutorial scenario. Mainly I just kept retrying to figure out what I was doing wrong and to get a feel for the strategies involved. For example, timing with the "Beat Cop". I discared him to get a free damage point on the monster but I could have used him for his +1 to combat to get the damage point then used him to soak up damage and horror on the Enemy Attack phase.

I suppose I could have done "take backs" to go through the same learning process but the multiple plays also made it so I grokked the flow of the game with each session and the game played faster after four times through.

At this point I want to do the same thing with my oldest till she's familiar with the gameplay then we will certainly plunge into the initial campagin in "Ironman" mode.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We finished The Eternal Slumber, the stand-alone scenario released at GenCon last year. At GenCon it was designed for large player counts, but FF repackaged it with the Arkham Nights special scenario The Night's Usurper as a normal scenario.

We lost pretty badly, but from a single scenario standpoint it was pretty epic. I think it ended up taking us around four hours to play, and that's with us dying early. Very solid and we enjoyed it a great deal.
raydude

Post by raydude »

So, I've been wanting to get The Dunwich Legacy Deluxe Expansion for a while now but it appears to be out of stock in my local game stores. Is there any other expansion folks can recommend that would be a good first expansion ?
raydude

Post by raydude »

After wallowing in the depths of my despair I came upon a chance writing on the internets. Someone, a previous investigator of the arcane and haunting world of Arkham, had decided to quit the fight, err she lose whatever remained of her sanity.

She bequeathed the contents of one Arkham Horror The Card Game, the Dunwich Legacy Expansion and all Dunwich Legacy mythos packs for the princely sum of one hundred dollars. She gave her word that the cards were in good condition, having had their mysterious powers previously contained within plastic sleeves. These sleeves of power were too precious to give up however, so I had to risk having them sent with merely ziploc baggies preventing them from corrupting an erstwhile agent of the US postal service.

Yey I said, invoking an arcane and ancient pact between us. "Paypal, send this one her just and rightful payment!" And it was done. Three days later I watched as the postman delivered his package, glancing too and fro before placing it upon my doorstep, and with a backwards glance, hurriedly walking away, glad to be rid of the infernal delivery.

A cursory glance reveals that the cards have been as previously described, the seals of protection and warding on the baggies unbroken. And not a moment too soon, as I fear I must once again call upon my sanity and liquid courage and venture forth into Arkham once more!