Tabletop Randomness

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Blackhawk

Re: Tabletop Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Hmm... Inked Gaming offers custom playmats. Too bad that wood bit has a watermark! Still, they're not that much more than the premade ones. It isn't something I could do now, but someday...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

EVA Playmat

More for kids and floors, but it's nice and cheap with four different wood options.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This isn't a 'need' or anything like that. I've got my yoga mats, I've got a 3x3 space mat, I've got individual player mats. This is more of a 'wish list' type thing, so I'd be looking for something ideal, not something that's good enough. The idea is being able to sit down and play Pathfinder ACG, or Dragonfire, or Hero Realms on a mat that continues the fantasy theme (in this case, an old, worn, rough-hewn table in some tavern.) I've also thought about stone walls, cobblestones, etc, but playing on a plank table fits the mood better.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:43 pm This isn't a 'need' or anything like that. I've got my yoga mats, I've got a 3x3 space mat, I've got individual player mats. This is more of a 'wish list' type thing, so I'd be looking for something ideal, not something that's good enough. The idea is being able to sit down and play Pathfinder ACG, or Dragonfire, or Hero Realms on a mat that continues the fantasy theme (in this case, an old, worn, rough-hewn table in some tavern.) I've also thought about stone walls, cobblestones, etc, but playing on a plank table fits the mood better.
Just want to be sure, you did get the mat for Core Space, right?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah. I went directly to the developers and got a complete list of the contents of the box, including images of every punch board that was in there, then checked off every item save for those I listed.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:59 pm Yeah. I went directly to the developers and got a complete list of the contents of the box, including images of every punch board that was in there, then checked off every item save for those I listed.
OK. Just wanted to be sure.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm You almost got me. I've seen the terrain mats, and have considered them as an option.

Perfect mat: Give me this in a 3x4
Deep Cut Studio makes a wooden floor game mat close to what you're after:

Enlarge Image

It's available in 3x3, 4x4, and 4x6, so you'd likely need to trim it down though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I saw that one earlier. It's nice, aesthetically, but still not what I'm look for. The planks are about the size of stir sticks.

Like I said, though, this is a wishlist item, so I get to be picky.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:05 pm I saw that one earlier. It's nice, aesthetically, but still not what I'm look for. The planks are about the size of stir sticks.

Like I said, though, this is a wishlist item, so I get to be picky.
Yeah, in that case your best bet is likely to go with a more bespoke design.

I recently ordered a custom 24" x 14" playmat myself, with the following design intended for use with the Targi game (one of my all-time favourite two-player games):

Enlarge Image

It came out terrifically, and makes the game effortless to set up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like some big shakeups going on over at Fantasy Flight Games.
A large amount of people have been laid off from Fantasy Flight Games and Fantasy Flight Interactive.

Fantasy Flight Interactive is set to be closed down completely.

Most, if not all, the RPG department has been laid off.

Numerous other employees have been cut in a large reorganization of the the entire studio following the departure of several key members of the company that have been there for years.
I've seen it mentioned in a few places, so it seems legit.

edit: found this on the gamasutra facebook page:

News is spreading that Fantasy Flight Interactive, the branch of Fantasy Flight Games in charge of the tabletop game company's digital games, will close in February after an unspecified number of employees were laid off.

This is a notable failure for Fantasy Flight Interactive, which opened its doors in 2017 with a mission to both adapt Fantasy Flight's physical games for digital platforms and develop its own original games based on the company's library of franchises.

But in a LinkedIn post published yesterday, studio head Tim Gerritsen (formerly of Human Head) wrote that "the decision has been made to close Fantasy Flight Interactive next month."

"I'm going to do my best to get my team placed in new positions. I have programmers, designers, artists, QA staff and a producer to get placed in new roles and will do my best to do so quickly," he added. "Additionally, I'm now open to new opportunities myself since I will also be out of a job."

Gamasutra has reached out to company representatives for further details and comment on the layoffs. If you or someone you know has been affected, you can email Gamasutra to share your story confidentially.

Update: A source close to the situation estimates that over 10 people have been let go from Fantasy Flight Games, and that the customer service department and tabletop RPG department are also expected to shutter as a result.
Covfefe!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

That's a shame. Hope those affected land on their feet.

I hope this doesn't mean an early end to their app-driven board games like Mansions of Madness and LOTR: Journeys in Middle Earth, although MoM has had a good run along with the Descent and Imperial Assault apps.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If they screw with Mansions of Madness board game, I know of about a dozen people that will riot...myself included. It's been a mainstay for myself and a group of fellow die hard Lovecraft gamers since its release.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:58 pm Update: A source close to the situation estimates that over 10 people have been let go from Fantasy Flight Games, and that the customer service department and tabletop RPG department are also expected to shutter as a result.
Tabletop RPGs would include the Star Wars RPG and its sister, Genesys.

But shuttering their customer service department? That seems odd.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:03 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:58 pm Update: A source close to the situation estimates that over 10 people have been let go from Fantasy Flight Games, and that the customer service department and tabletop RPG department are also expected to shutter as a result.

They were bought out by a bigger company a few years ago, so maybe transfering the responsibility to the other business unit?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RMC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:06 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:03 pm

They were bought out by a bigger company a few years ago, so maybe transfering the responsibility to the other business unit?
Asmodée
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Randomness 1: Many times I've considered writing up a board game AAR. I've meant to off and on for years, but question how entertaining they'd be compared to some of the great ones I see here.

Randomness 2: I just pulled on my Corrections Officer/Bouncer attitude and sent a final warning to the eBay seller I got Core Space off of. At this point it's been a month since I ordered it and two weeks since I reported the missing pieces. He hasn't responded in twelve days. I gave him three choices: send me the parts, give me a 50% partial refund, or I would escalate with eBay. The refund would be almost enough to order the missing dice from the manufacturer, and I'd still have to print the ruler myself and go without the clip and cosmetic pieces.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:11 pm Randomness 1: Many times I've considered writing up a board game AAR. I've meant to off and on for years, but question how entertaining they'd be compared to some of the great ones I see here.
Go for it. I sometimes get a little self conscious when I’m writing my ongoing playthroughs, trying not to ramble on too much but hopefully being entertaining. But in the end I enjoy doing them and the folks around these parts are fairly forgiving. Also, your painted minis would really enhance your AARs. Start small and have fun with it, I say! :coffee:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Tao

Post by Tao »

I know a few folks here have played Sword and Sorcery: Immortal Souls, hoping for a quick rules clarification.

Under the right circumstances an enemy may be spawned in a room/tile the Heroes have not actually visited yet or on a tile the Heroes have already moved past, in both cases there would be no LOS.

Do those enemies activate when you draw an encounter card, if they meet the criteria i.e. green, blue, dex etc.?

Typically the [+] action for enemies is to move X spaces toward a hero, so if the heroes are moving toward the spawn gate I can see them just running in to the enemies sooner but if the heroes are moving in the opposite direction do the enemies just continue to trail behind them?
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

BH, I know it’s not the point, but I’ll send you a bag of spare clips. I have plenty.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I may take you up on that, at least a 45 degree, as the base set only has two, and one is missing.) I may hit you up for some specifications on the ruler, too, as it isn't available for sale and I'll have to make my own.

It took less than an hour to get an answer. He's processing a $40 refund. After all this hassle, it still earns him negative feedback, though. It shouldn't have taken a month.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:46 pm I may take you up on that, at least a 45 degree, as the base set only has two, and one is missing.) I may hit you up for some specifications on the ruler, too, as it isn't available for sale and I'll have to make my own.

It took less than an hour to get an answer. He's processing a $40 refund. After all this hassle, it still earns him negative feedback, though. It shouldn't have taken a month.
I'll drop those in the mail and get you the measurements on the ruler by tomorrow. I played last night so it's all out on my table still. Brutal, brutal game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The way the ruler is used, would it be better on foam core, mat board, or on laminated card stock?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm running an experiment. I'm having a blueprint company print me a version of one of the Next War: Korea maps on Tyvek.

It looks like it will cost me ~$50 for this experiment.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:The way the ruler is used, would it be better on foam core, mat board, or on laminated card stock?
Mat board. That’s what this ruler is, just a laminated mat board.

During the game last night, where there were clear squares available, we had a tendency to just move using the squares, and then use the ruler when we had a particularly tricky bit of maneuvering.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Talked to the Core Space publisher. Ruler and a blue die are on their way for the cost of shipping.

That's twice I've discussed issues with their support team that many companies would have blown off as 'Bought used? Not our problem' and both times they went out of their way to help me. They didn't make any money off of me for Core Space, but they earned a high rank on my trust meter. That means I'll be looking at their products and funding campaigns in the future for sure.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Talked to the Core Space publisher. Ruler and a blue die are on their way for the cost of shipping.

That's twice I've discussed issues with their support team that many companies would have blown off as 'Bought used? Not our problem' and both times they went out of their way to help me. They didn't make any money off of me for Core Space, but they earned a high rank on my trust meter. That means I'll be looking at their products and funding campaigns in the future for sure.
That’s great. If you watch any of their videos you get the impression they are pretty good blokes.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A pretty interesting podcast on the state of the boardgaming industry, with a couple of publishers talking about their experiences. Seems like the bottom line is that the number of games released each year has exploded, and the customer base is growing, but not fast enough to keep up. So a lot of games just get lost in the shuffle, never even reaching stores.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Boardgametables.com is selling off surplus 3mm roughcut neoprene. $24 for a double sided (blue and red, only color choice, sorry) 3'x5' chunk. 4'x5' is $32. $14 shipping on the 3x5 to Chicago, YMMV.

Neoprene Fabric Sale
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hentzau wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm Boardgametables.com is selling off surplus 3mm roughcut neoprene. $24 for a double sided (blue and red, only color choice, sorry) 3'x5' chunk. 4'x5' is $32. $14 shipping on the 3x5 to Chicago, YMMV.

Neoprene Fabric Sale
That's the best price I've seen for a neoprene playmat by a country mile. Shipping is very reasonable, too.

Unfortunately, I already ordered one from another source. :doh:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:30 pm
I enjoyed Destiny quite a bit, even bought a big box o' boosters when I found one in the wild when it first went on sale.

It sits on my work bench, mostly unopened. I opened maybe 4 of the 30 or so packs.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Many thanks to everyone who recommended financially responsible options for a tabletop playmat. I regret to report that you failed, and this arrived today.

Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Help! BGG is down.

Error: Server Error
The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.
Please try again in 30 seconds.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The Best Board Game Art of 2019. Lots of good stuff in there. I was pleasantly surprised to see Pipeline make the cut; it has almost no art per se, but excellent graphic design that really supports the gameplay.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Man, I want to play some Core Space, but I really want to get the miniatures painted before I play. But I can't do that until I finish the stuff for my Pathfinder campaign, which consists of about a dozen other miniatures right now. But I want to play some Core Space!

Oh, and I want to get Conan painted up for this summer.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:53 pm Man, I want to play some Core Space, but I really want to get the miniatures painted before I play. But I can't do that until I finish the stuff for my Pathfinder campaign, which consists of about a dozen other miniatures right now. But I want to play some Core Space!

Oh, and I want to get Conan painted up for this summer.
I haven't played for about 6 weeks. Everyones schedules have been hell.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Figured this makes the most sense here.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Figured this makes the most sense here.

I've downloaded the pic and forwarded it to my wife who will be quite amused.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if anyone plays Iron Helm, but the creator just released this one:

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Star Wars Talisman. Fall 2020.

I've actually been considering picking up a copy of Talisman, but think I'll hold off for this version.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.