[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Skinypupy

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Skinypupy »

I’ll never have the patience, tools, or time required to paint minis, but just wanted to pop in and let y’all know how awesome your efforts are.

I’m always wildly impressed at all your final results.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Other than Amazon, where does everyone buy their paints? Probably looking at everything someone needs to get started such as primer, a basic set of paints, washes. My daughter has an extensive set of brushes, some which are perfect for fine detail work. Not quite ready for an airbrush... :wink:

Thanks!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I get mine at my FLGS, but I have the luxury of having one of the best gaming stores in the country about 10 minutes from work. They stock the full lines of Citadel, Army Painter, Scale75, Vallejo...you name it, they stock it.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yeah I’d love to go that route but the local FLGS is a small game store/comic book hybrid that doesn’t have any paints. Nice people though and I could ask them if they were interested in ordering supplies. But I can cut out the middleman and order it on my own.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Squadron.com is worth a look, as well as Reaper.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My first choice would be Miniature Market. It's a solid shop.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:02 pm My first choice would be Miniature Market. It's a solid shop.
My first choice is Amazon, just because I can usually get it cheaper and faster than anywhere else.
That being said, Miniature Market is my solid 2nd choice followed by Cool Stuff Inc.
After that, It would be either eBay or a generic Google search, but that's only for odd things that the others don't stock or they mark up 500%. It's pretty rare that I can't get something from one of my top 3 though.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:42 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:02 pm My first choice would be Miniature Market. It's a solid shop.
My first choice is Amazon, just because I can usually get it cheaper and faster than anywhere else.
That being said, Miniature Market is my solid 2nd choice followed by Cool Stuff Inc.
That would be my full order, too.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now just have to research some stuff to start with and hopefully off we go.
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Regarding what kind of paints (if you care, Vallejo, Reaper, Army Painter for regular paints. Scale75 makes the best metallics, although they're more expensive. Games Workshop makes good paints, but their containers are a pain in the ass, so I only use them when there is no other option (IE - for contrast paints.)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

For starters I was looking into some Army Painter paint and seeing how that goes. I have accumulated quite a few miniatures so I need to choose some simple ones, clean them up, plan out how I want them to look and off to the races we go.
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, make sure you get yourself some primer when you order, too. Not all primers will work on all miniatures. If you want rattlecan, go with Army Painter primers. If you want brush-on (or if you have an airbrush, either way), go with Badger Stynlrez.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:51 am Well, make sure you get yourself some primer when you order, too. Not all primers will work on all miniatures. If you want rattlecan, go with Army Painter primers. If you want brush-on (or if you have an airbrush, either way), go with Badger Stynlrez.
I have a good ventilated area where I can use a spray can so that’s the route I’ll take for priming.

Then again, that ventilated area is kind of cold do I might invest in some brush on primer so thanks for recommending both types!
Black lives matter!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I primarily use Army Painter (and some older assorted Citadel and Vallejo). My only complain is that they have to be shaken *really* well so you may want to get some mixer balls for each bottle (Army Painter actually makes their own that are pretty cheap). Once you have them mixed though they're great.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I've read about the importance of balls in your paint which makes sense since I'm sure there might be some "settling" over time. I was up pretty late last night looking over stuff and I'm pretty tired this morning. But it was fun thinking about what I'd need for starting down the rabbit hole of painting minis.
Black lives matter!

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Make sure you get balls designed for acrylic paint. Both Army Painter and Green Stuff World make good ones. Just using regular ball bearings/BBs is a bad idea, as they'll sometimes react with the paint, corrode, or rust. Any of those results will ruin the paint.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:56 am Just using regular ball bearings/BBs is a bad idea, as they'll sometimes react with the paint, corrode, or rust.
:ninja:

:oops:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used BBs for years before I discovered the downsides. Then I switched to large glass beads ('pony beads'.) They don't react, and they work decently, but I've switched to the GSW steel balls and the extra weight makes a big difference when it comes to mixing up thicker paints with settled pigments.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:37 am I used BBs for years before I discovered the downsides. Then I switched to large glass beads ('pony beads'.) They don't react, and they work decently, but I've switched to the GSW steel balls and the extra weight makes a big difference when it comes to mixing up thicker paints with settled pigments.
Yeah, I tried the glass bead route first. Now just stainless steel beads for me.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I've been using this to mix my paint without any balls in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Robart-Manufactu ... B001BHGHDK
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Here is what you need. It is a little more costly but mixes much better and no need to worry about strapping things down. Just press the bottom to the mixer and let it vibrate for about 30 seconds. Then you have perfectly mixed paints and no pesky air bubbles.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have heard good things about vortex mixers. They're designed for laboratory use, but apparently work really, really well with paints. I've never been able to afford one myself.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Been watching videos and I think I'm going to try brush-on priming my Cthulhu Death May Die stuff. I was afraid of the Badger stuff freezing en route (as previously noted) but had access to a bottle of Vallejo Surface Primer White. I liked the gesso on my marvel mini, but I want to use the contrast paints and I'm pretty sure having white not grey is going to make a bigger difference. Regardless, brush on priming is a whole new world for me; your thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Worst case is a Simple Green bath, right? :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got the same surface primer. I've had... mixed results, usually due to it bubbling badly while painting. I try to avoid brush priming for that reason, but I'm not breaking out (and cleaning) the airbrush if there are only one or two miniatures that need primed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The guy I watched suggested using a wider brush and a technique similar to dry brushing to minimize the bubbling. I'm definitely going to try and be aware of it as I know that's going to cause huge problems for the contrast paint in particular. I'm hoping whatever time I'm losing to brush priming (in comparison to rattle can or air brush + clean up) will be made up with the contrast paints. Always learning something new with this hobby so for that alone, it's worth it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I saw that same video a couple of weeks ago, and just haven't had a chance to give it a whirl. FWIW, until you're doing at least eight or ten pieces, brush would be faster than airbrush.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’ve had great results using Army Painter brush on primer. It’s almost a grey-green when it dries, but the paint looks good in it. And no issues with streaking/bubbling.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:11 am I have heard good things about vortex mixers. They're designed for laboratory use, but apparently work really, really well with paints. I've never been able to afford one myself.
I have been getting frustrated with some of my older Reaper paints separating, so I picked up a vortex mixer after watching a few reviews. It's really fun, and does a great job mixing. Even my wife thinks it's cool and possibly usable in her alchemical home business so I'm going to write it off as a tax deduction!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am pretty much floored with the Contrast paints and my Cthulhu from Death May Die. This is like 30 minutes of painting, tops. I need to go back in for some detailing and dry-brushing but I could honestly chuck it on the table just like this.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which colors did you use?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Vallejo Surface Primer White
Wings, and nails are contrast Skeleton Horde
Body is contrast Militarum Green
Tentacles is contrast Shyish Purple

Insanely fast.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Enlarge Image

Painting monsters from the Path of the Serpent Mansions of Madness expansion. The feathered serpent was a lot of fun to paint.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's fabulous! Nice job.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

My son and I really enjoy Aristeia! and I've been dutifully painting the figures for it. Two of the characters have abilities that put robotic minions in play but the game only comes with cardboard tokens to represent them, so I got to crafting!

For Gaia's Gorgoneions...

I found floral wire was almost the exact thickness needed, was flexible enough to easily bend into the shapes I wanted but still rigid to hold shape.

For Fiddler's Vulkan Jackbots...

I wasn't really sure what to do. I don't really collect miniatures or stuff I could "kit bash" with so I raided my kids Lego collection!

I originally had something much more detailed but it was really big. The Jackbots are supposed to be that wheel Fiddler is riding around on, just on their side with a gun that pops out. This version is the best I could do while staying roughly to scale.

Finally, War Chest has been a big hit, especially with my daughter. The game has great components but something called to me so I tried to make a fancy wooden board for it...

I used my wife's Cricut machine to cut out those silver emblems that mark the objective hexes on the board and am very happy with how they turned out. The frame around the edge wasn't part of the plan but the outer edges of the board cracked and split in some places as I was cutting it down and I needed a way to cover it all up.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I love all the adaptation and imagination involved in just making the stuff wholesale (or stealing from other things).
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daveman wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:18 pm My son and I really enjoy Aristeia! and I've been dutifully painting the figures for it. Two of the characters have abilities that put robotic minions in play but the game only comes with cardboard tokens to represent them, so I got to crafting!
Amazing work!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I don’t normally paint eyes, but I almost feel I need to on this model.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been eying up my Marvel Crisis Protocol figures for a few weeks now. Looks great. Feathered Serpent looks awesome too. I'm out of touch with the MoM games at this point. When I first saw it, I thought it was a D&D figure. :D

I also have nothing but respect for crafters. No idea how you figure that stuff out Daveman, but hats off to you.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I want to try some OSL on him after he’s good and dry. Seems like the perfect model for it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've unofficially seen some people reporting excellent results with zenithal highlight priming + contrast paints - saying it really makes a noticeable difference. OSL still escapes me - I'm always amazed at what people can do with glowing swords or lanterns. I watched someone on youtube layer a basecoat with whites and grays and then do edge highlighting before contrast paints. Seemed to work but I think for me the time spent doing all that would defeat the greatest advantage the contrast paints have provided.