Reaper Bones Next

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Boudreaux

Re: Hey, miniatures fans! Reaper Kickstarter, great opportu

Post by Boudreaux »

Zaxxon wrote:I'm probably out since my friend and I have painted maybe 30 of the eleventy-three minis from the first set, but if this ends up in crazy-deal territory like last time...
I'm in about the same boat, but I went ahead and reserved a spot in the Wave 2 level just to see how it grows. I can always cancel before it funds, I have a month. So far this seems more reserved than the last one. They went a little bonkers with the stretch goals in the first Kickstarter, I wonder if they're being a little more cautious about promising too much this time around.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote:but if this ends up in crazy-deal territory like last time...
It's somewhere around 96 figures for $100 at this very early time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:but if this ends up in crazy-deal territory like last time...
It's somewhere around 96 figures for $100 at this very early time.
Yeah, and that's up from like 40 an hour ago. I don't think there's any question that it'll be crazy deal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Boudreaux wrote:So far this seems more reserved than the last one. They went a little bonkers with the stretch goals in the first Kickstarter, I wonder if they're being a little more cautious about promising too much this time around.
They've hit 13 stretch goals in the first hours, half of which added stuff to the core set.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

True, and this thing went from 0 to 500mph in no time. They're probably still catching up.

I saw the email from Kickstarter, went to the KS page and they were at about 900 backers and $99k. I scrolled down the page to see the images of what was in the core set and the add-ons. I scrolled back up to the top of the page (maybe a minute later) and they were at 1600 backers and over $160k. That's crazy.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I will probably end up in, with a worst case scenario of reselling if I'm not up for it when it arrives,
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote:
coopasonic wrote:I want the pathfinder heroes... do I $100 want them? Well, no... but... Have I gotten any of the first set of Bones out of the box? Well, no... but... but...
:tjg:
I just remembered I already have the wizkids painted minis of the big 4... whatever, I still need them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

coopasonic wrote:I want the pathfinder heroes... do I $100 want them? Well, no... but... Have I gotten any of the first set of Bones out of the box? Well, no... but... but...
I thought the exact same thing when I looked at it. Then I decided there has to be a cheaper way to pimp my Pathfinder than this. And more immediate.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah...it's shooting up fast. I'm in at the wave 2 level. :oops:
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, hell.

They just announced that they successfully funded in two minutes.

I'm probably out, though. I can't justify (or manage) the cost this close to Christmas. I just can't spend that much now for something that won't be here for a year or more.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I'm in at wave 2, so this time around I won't be the last person in the world to receive mine... probably.

I'm noticing a couple of themes this time around. One of them appears to be Warhammer Fantasy. We've seen some of the classic staples from the setting already, such as skaven (called ratmen here), beastmen and demons. We had Chaos warriors the last time around, but I suppose they'll show up again in new forms.
Insert witty comment here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Damn it, I went and looked. Now I'm interested. I'll have to take a look at the budget once I get my first check and see...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I bought in for a dollar, just for the option for some single pieces at a discount if anything amazing pops up.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll be in for the Mouselings, at least. I'm trying to get my kids interested in Mice & Mystics. I even painted the 7 hero figures and let my kids pick their hero. Who am I kidding? The Rats would work for Kobolds Ate My Baby. And the Reaper paints I added on to the last Kickstarter have really helped. I'll probably go in on the paints.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Re: Hey, miniatures fans! EDIT: Reaper Bones II

Post by Smoove_B »

From the comments:
For the core set only, the current price is $0.68 per mini and there are 146.
Total price for everything is $362 for 228 minis, paints, and case. Currently when purchasing all minis, they are priced at $1.28 per mini.
That's as of this posting. I'm sure it's going to get even more bananas.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not quite sure why i'm backing it, but i can't find a reason NOT to back it at this point. there's so many games I currently own that I could "pimp out" with these minis that I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. Plus, i can use many of these for painting practice.
Covfefe!
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I have my suspicions that this one won't go as high or as bananas as the first one. Bones I seemed to gather steam as it went on, and word spread about this amazing deal, and more and more people kept piling on. This time, everyone who backed it last time already knows about Bones II, so additional backers from this point are either holdouts who backed the first but are passing on the second, or people who somehow didn't hear about or get in the first time.

I'm still 50/50 and waiting to see what the final tally is. Given how many minis I got from Bones I, I'm not sure why I need more. It's fun watching though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm not so sure it won't top #1. In the first day, #2 made more than #1 did on any day, and it wasn't close. Day 2 would have been 5th-highest for #1. We'll see, but it's already 35% of the way there less than 3 days in, and we all know the last several days will be crazeballs.

So I agree that it's not clear that it'll top #1, but if I had to bet I would say that it will.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Most of the miniatures this time around haven't quite been my thing, but the latest update with the mounted characters is exactly the kind of thing we needed, something a lot of people have been asking for. I hope we get plenty more mounted characters in that set, because this just got me excited again. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But aren't those part of the optional expansion you can buy in addition to the core set?
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The second optional expansion, which is the big difference between this Kickstarter and the last. The last one gave you the whole shebang for the initial $100. This one has paid expansions you can add to the core. Many of the stretch goals have added items to the expansions rather than the core set.

That isn't to say that the core $100 isn't a good deal. It is. If you want the huge box with hundreds of miniatures, though, you're going to have to spend more this time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going to hang on until the last hours to see what happens, but I'm definitely less interested now. I'll just have to wait and see what shows up in the final core group.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:I'm going to hang on until the last hours to see what happens, but I'm definitely less interested now. I'll just have to wait and see what shows up in the final core group.
Ditto that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm sitting on my dollar. I may add a single item or two, but with the number of Bones I've already got sitting here, I'll likely just wait and get the individual pieces I need from Reaper at retail as I actually need them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I looked over it again, and I can't justify it. I don't have anything approaching an active gaming career.

I've got the first batch, and all my military aircraft models, I've got enough to keep me going for years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm sitting on my dollar. I may add a single item or two, but with the number of Bones I've already got sitting here, I'll likely just wait and get the individual pieces I need from Reaper at retail as I actually need them.
I think I may do this. I didn't realize you could just pledge a dollar and then add on stuff. As it is, I'm more interested in the first core expansion and some minor figs.
Covfefe!
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

hepcat wrote:I think I may do this. I didn't realize you could just pledge a dollar and then add on stuff. As it is, I'm more interested in the first core expansion and some minor figs.
Can you add the $50 core expansions if you don't purchase the $100 core?

I'm still holding out on my $100 pledge, but I'll be watching this at the end to make a final decision. As is it, I'm still in the "can afford it, but it would be a silly purchase" category.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From what I'm reading, you can.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I like the paint add on. I picked up a bottle of Vallejo paint which was great, but I'm much happier painting with the Reaper paints instead of the Games Workshop pots.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

doubletap
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Boudreaux wrote:
hepcat wrote:I think I may do this. I didn't realize you could just pledge a dollar and then add on stuff. As it is, I'm more interested in the first core expansion and some minor figs.
Can you add the $50 core expansions if you don't purchase the $100 core?

I'm still holding out on my $100 pledge, but I'll be watching this at the end to make a final decision. As is it, I'm still in the "can afford it, but it would be a silly purchase" category.
Yes, you can. Furthermore, pledging $100 doesn't lock you into a core set; you could just order the two expansion, or one expansion and some dragons, or a bunch of dragons and add ons, etc. There is no functional difference between the $1 and $100 pledge tiers aside from minimum dollar amount spent.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Zurai wrote:Yes, you can. Furthermore, pledging $100 doesn't lock you into a core set; you could just order the two expansion, or one expansion and some dragons, or a bunch of dragons and add ons, etc. There is no functional difference between the $1 and $100 pledge tiers aside from minimum dollar amount spent.
Well, except that I got into the $100 Core Set in the "Wave 2" shipping level. If I had pledged $1 at the time and then increased to $100 later, I don't know where I would have ended up shipping-wise.

I imagine that the $100 cores set will still provide the cheapest "per-mini" cost again. However, I'm not looking for anything in particular and I don't know if I really need another $100 of Bones minis.

Maybe I should look into eBaying some of my Bones I Vampire set minis. There are a bunch of sci-fi and space mariney minis that I'll never use.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Boudreaux wrote:
Zurai wrote:Yes, you can. Furthermore, pledging $100 doesn't lock you into a core set; you could just order the two expansion, or one expansion and some dragons, or a bunch of dragons and add ons, etc. There is no functional difference between the $1 and $100 pledge tiers aside from minimum dollar amount spent.
Well, except that I got into the $100 Core Set in the "Wave 2" shipping level. If I had pledged $1 at the time and then increased to $100 later, I don't know where I would have ended up shipping-wise.
I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding what I wrote. You have to pledge enough to buy whatever you want regardless of which pledge tier you're at. However, the tier you pledged for makes absolutely no difference in which rewards you can order. If you pledged at the $1 tier but have a total pledge of $150, you can get any possible combination of minis that adds up to $150. The exact same is true for someone who pledged $150 at the $100 dollar pledge tier.

Basically, just because you picked the $100 pledge tier, does not mean you have to get a core set. It just means you have to spend at least $100.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Boudreaux wrote:Maybe I should look into eBaying some of my Bones I Vampire set minis. There are a bunch of sci-fi and space mariney minis that I'll never use.
Funny, those were the Bones that I asked to be added on to seppe's order. Well, that and the Reaper paints. I'm hoping the second paint set gets unlocked.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The sci-fi and pulp figures were the ones I was looking forward to the most.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote:The sci-fi and pulp figures were the ones I was looking forward to the most.
same here. and then i saw some of the egyptian sculpts and the zombies. i think i'll just keep my pledge in place and drop it to a lower one so i can pick and choose a few.

i'm a little disappointed in the splitting up they're doing this time around. i know it was ridiculous amounts of figs the last time, and they have every right to make a little more money this time, but that doesn't mean i can't be discouraged by it.
Covfefe!
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Zurai wrote:
Boudreaux wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding what I wrote. You have to pledge enough to buy whatever you want regardless of which pledge tier you're at. However, the tier you pledged for makes absolutely no difference in which rewards you can order. If you pledged at the $1 tier but have a total pledge of $150, you can get any possible combination of minis that adds up to $150. The exact same is true for someone who pledged $150 at the $100 dollar pledge tier.

Basically, just because you picked the $100 pledge tier, does not mean you have to get a core set. It just means you have to spend at least $100.

Gotcha. I see what you're saying.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

hepcat wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:The sci-fi and pulp figures were the ones I was looking forward to the most.
same here. and then i saw some of the egyptian sculpts and the zombies. i think i'll just keep my pledge in place and drop it to a lower one so i can pick and choose a few.

i'm a little disappointed in the splitting up they're doing this time around. i know it was ridiculous amounts of figs the last time, and they have every right to make a little more money this time, but that doesn't mean i can't be discouraged by it.
I don't think they're giving out any less miniatures. They're merely making shipping easier by reducing the number of options they have to deal with. To do this, they've created "package deals", a preset collection of miniatures. After the mess that was the shipping of the first Kickstarter, I can see why they did this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This is finished, by the way, at $3.16 million.

I never went past my initial one dollar pledge. With all the pieces I have here to paint, and given the fact that the 'whole shebang' last time cost $100, while this time it costs $250, I can't see any reason to spend cash (although to be honest, it really isn't a possibility anyway, this close to the holidays.) By the time I actually need a bunch more miniatures to paint, they'll be available from Reaper's site, where I can pick and choose the individual pieces I actually want.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I canceled my pledge last night. I just couldn't justify another $100 for minis when I've painted less than 1% of the first Bones group.