Reaper Bones Next

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Boudreaux

Re: Hey, miniatures fans! Reaper Kickstarter, great opportu

Post by Boudreaux »

Fretmute wrote:That's the entire point! There's no cheating with white primer. I guess I'm just a purist.
Or masochist. :P

I paint minis to be used in board or adventure games, I don't paint them for the joy of painting them. Even though it is fun. I'm never looking for display-quality paint jobs, so I am okay cutting a few corners here and there.

I also <GASP> use Devlan Mud for nearly every wash, instead of mixing my own. I rarely highlight. Sometimes, I have been known to skip priming entirely. The litany of my sins is lengthy and damning.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Personally, I use gray primer :tjg:

Incidentally, at less than $0.50 per mini (as you get more than 200 minis currently with the $100 pledge level), this is a great way to teach yourself to paint. You've got lots of variety and plenty to practice on. There's even a couple of multiples (the swarms are 2x and the dungeon attack set is 4x) so you can experiment with several techniques or color schemes on the same mini.

I havn't pledged yet, but that's just because I'm splitting a Vampire pledge level with one of my friends and we're still working out exactly what add-ons we want. I know I can change my pledge after making it, but that interface always confuses me.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Zurai wrote:I know I can change my pledge after making it, but that interface always confuses me.
At the top of the screen, enter the new dollar amount of your pledge. Below, find your new reward level and select it. Finish transaction. IIRC, nothing else is required at that time.

It's simpler to get it right the first time, but I've had to change pledges on several Kickstarters because I get ahead of myself and forget to add the amount for Canada shipping before completing the procedure.

IRT thread
This is very neat, and I enjoyed looking at the figures. If I had any interest in this hobby at all, I'd be all over it. But I'm just here because I like reading about Kickstarters.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zurai wrote:Incidentally, at less than $0.50 per mini (as you get more than 200 minis currently with the $100 pledge level), this is a great way to teach yourself to paint. You've got lots of variety and plenty to practice on. There's even a couple of multiples (the swarms are 2x and the dungeon attack set is 4x) so you can experiment with several techniques or color schemes on the same mini.
You're .... not ... HELPING!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Zurai wrote:Incidentally, at less than $0.50 per mini (as you get more than 200 minis currently with the $100 pledge level), this is a great way to teach yourself to paint. You've got lots of variety and plenty to practice on. There's even a couple of multiples (the swarms are 2x and the dungeon attack set is 4x) so you can experiment with several techniques or color schemes on the same mini.
You're .... not ... HELPING!
Aren't you in an apartment? WTF are you going to do with over 200 minis? Does that help?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Since I could spend $25 and swap out Sophie for two cases, not really. :P
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just added this evening. I may have given up Pathfinder for Savage Worlds, but I still love the iconics (and can always play Pathfinder material with Savage Worlds.)

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TiLT wrote: Do you remember where that review you're talking about was, by the way? I'd like to read it.
Sorry, just got in from a long night. I'll look for it. I found it via a link somewhere a few weeks ago.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with black primer. I use it occasionally. If I'm painting GW style Night Goblins (generally black) I'll use it, or something where I want more subtle colors. I generally prefer white, as I find it makes the colors a little brighter and the detail easier to see, but it really is a matter of personal preference, as each requires a slightly different approach to painting.

With white, you generally start with the middle tones and paint down to the shadow. With black, on the other hand, you start with the darker tones and paint up to the highlight.

For example, say you have colors 1-5. 1 is very dark green, 5 is very light green.

On a white primed miniature, you start around 4, then add 3, 2, and 1 as shadows, then a little 5 on top for highlights.

On a black primed miniature, you might start at 2 and work your way up to 5, brightening as you go and letting the dark primer take care of many of the shadows.

Yes, that oversimplifies, but you get the idea. (Non-oversimplified might be - on white - starting at 10 and shadowing down to 3, then washing the whole thing down two steps, then highlighting from 8 up to 15, then glazing it down to 12.)
The Rocketman

Post by The Rocketman »

My resolve is dropping as well... It's a lot of money, plus I have to pay for shipping, but those minis are really awesome...
Would these minis be strong enough for a child to play with? Or would they easily break? Because I'd like to paint them, perhaps for my son to play with in a couple of years time. Now he'd just eat them.

I'm really just looking for an excuse... But I have so many metal Rackham models to finish as well...
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The Rocketman wrote:My resolve is dropping as well... It's a lot of money, plus I have to pay for shipping, but those minis are really awesome...
Would these minis be strong enough for a child to play with? Or would they easily break? Because I'd like to paint them, perhaps for my son to play with in a couple of years time. Now he'd just eat them.

I'm really just looking for an excuse... But I have so many metal Rackham models to finish as well...
This type of miniature isn't a child's toy. The paint will peel off if handled roughly (and could end up being digested by small children). Some of that paint (and plastic material) could be poisonous, though I wouldn't know. The plastic is also soft, with plenty of thin parts (look at the legs of some of the figures in this campaign) that can snap if too much force is applied.

Miniatures like this are meant to be placed on a table for gaming, not to be played with by a child. If you buy them as toys, expect them to break and/or be swallowed (they are pretty small).
Insert witty comment here.
The Rocketman

Post by The Rocketman »

Thanks for the honest reply.

I've been browsing BGG? and it seems there's a sort of generic ruleset for which you can pretty much use any miniature you have: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpan ... d-darkness" target="_blank. I'm going to look more into this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just out of curiosity, do some or all of these minis require assembly?
He won. Period.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

hepcat wrote:Just out of curiosity, do some or all of these minis require assembly?
I can't answer for these minis specifically, but I've bought Reaper minis before (in fact, I have several of the ones in this Kickstarter in their metal counterparts), and a few of them did indeed need assembly, mostly the bigger ones. It was never anything major though. A giant holding his hand in the air required you to glue the arm to the body. A snake had the top of its head detached to make it easier to paint the inside of its mouth. A gargoyle had its wings detached, again to make it easier to paint. Nothing major. At least not anywhere near the assembly you'd need to do for a Warhammer miniature.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

On the Bones page, they have an intro video that covers the ease of conversions as part of the demonstration. They don't demonstrate, but it seems like modification and any large mini assembly would be pretty easy.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I let the 5 year old Fish and 3 year old Bug play with my unpainted plastic Castle Ravenloft board game minis. They have tea and live in doll houses as much as their battles against the dragons. I would expect these Reaper minis to be more prone to breakage. I can't imagine turning over even my badly painted minis to the kids.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't have any Bones, specifically, but I do have one miniature from their Legendary Encounters series that is supposed to be of exactly the same material (it is the same model as the Bones werewolf.) This stuff is tough, much tougher than the flexible Ravenloft/Legend of Drizzt miniatures. If it were twisted hard or bitten, yes, it would break, but I can't see them breaking through 'reasonable' play.

Of course, it really depends on the child.

As to assembly - I do believe they've taken steps to minimize consumer assembly, but there will likely be a little. From what I've read, though, they hold together perfectly with nothing more than a little super glue, which is much simpler than the drilling, pinning and epoxy you have to mess with on big metal miniatures.

Looking at the selection, unless something has a swappable weapon, I can't see any of the miniatures in the top main Vampire selection requiring assembly. Many of the optionals would, at least in metal. The first dragon, Ebonwrath, for instance, comes in body, front leg, back leg, neck, head, tail, left wing and right wing - in the metal version (click and scroll down.)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I have to say that the pace at which this Kickstarter continues to grow is just ridiculous. They hit their last goal in the wee hours of the night, and they're closing in on their next one already--and it's $130,000 more than the previous. I reload the page 5 minutes after the previous load and there are 100+ new comments.

Craziness.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Yeah, they should easily breach $2M. Kicktraq projects between $2M and $2.7M.

Finally submitted mine and my friend's pledge. $152, subbing out Sophie for the clockwork dragon and one of the giants sets, then buying the other two giants sets, the driders, the deep ones, and the demons. I was tempted to get another copy of the main fire and frost giant sets for myself -- those are seriously great sculpts, and giants are common enemies.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

So, out of curiosity, let us share what we plan to spent on this Kickstarter, and what we'll be spending it on. Here's my current list:
  • Vampire level pledge ($100)
  • International shipping ($25)
  • Mind Your Manors ($10)
  • Jabberwock ($10)
  • Paint set 1 ($18)
  • Paint set 3 ($18)
  • Orcpocalypse ($25)
  • Figure case ($25)
  • Extra undead horde ($10)
  • Hydra ($15)
  • Extra lizardmen ($5)
Total pledge: $261

I might end up buying another figure case. I just wish I knew exactly what kind of content it will take. Whether or not it'll only have room for normal-sized minis is important, for example, since I have plenty of larger minis I need to store. In any case, I'm going to swap my Sophie miniature for $25 credit, which I'll use on Orcpocalypse and use the remaining $25 on a new case, I suppose. I guess that's how it works.

The orcs and undead are there because, let's face it, you can never have enough of those two creature types. The lizardmen I added extra of because there have been almost no lizardmen minis in the D&D range, much to my frustration. The jabberwock and hydra are going to be useful for my Warhammer campaigns.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TiLT wrote:I might end up buying another figure case. I just wish I knew exactly what kind of content it will take. Whether or not it'll only have room for normal-sized minis is important, for example, since I have plenty of larger minis I need to store.
Everybody, at any level of support, can now have this hard plastic miniature carrying case by increasing your pledge by only $25. It comes with 6 pieces of foam, cut to fit over 100 miniatures! ... Additional designs to fit this case, including designs that hold Reaper Master Series Paint, tools, or larger figures can be ordered through foamcorps.com
The ones in the original pics show 50 slots per level. The bigger ones at the site show 28 and 21 at $10 a pop.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Assuming the final product matches the one in the image, there are five 25 figure trays, plus one (bottom right) with room for larger pieces.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The problem is that I've seen two different pictures with different types of trays, and the extra trays on Outrider Hobbies' site are for the smaller cases that Reaper normally sells (or so I think, anyway). The illustrations are also merely prototypes, so they can change at any time. I wish they were a bit more specific about what's included.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

In other news, I went to my FLGS and bought a can of Citadel Chaos Black primer spray, super glue, five different types of brushes, green stuff (double epoxy), and a pair of pliers today. I would have bought a hobby knife, figure bases and flock too if they had the knife or the bases, but they were out of both. Figured that since the Reaper paint is being sent next month (if I remember correctly) I might as well start preparing to paint my old metal miniatures that I've owned for years. I've started cleaning them now (soapy water and toothbrush FTW), but I don't think I'll go any further than that until I have the knife and can prepare the models properly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No hardware stores available? General hobby stores like Hobby Lobby?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used flock for years, but I've almost completely quit. I've found that using painted and drybrushed sand gives an effect that is just as grassy, but looks better as you can create the subtle variations that exist in real grass, whereas flock tends to look flat. The same thing applies to bases intended to represent mud.

Flocked:

Sand plus static grass plus a few pebbles.

Enlarge Image
(click to enlarge)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Isgrimnur wrote:No hardware stores available? General hobby stores like Hobby Lobby?
There's probably something around, but those aren't the kinds of stores I usually (or ever) visit, so I'm not familiar with what we have available in my city and where. Guess I'll have to find out.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just added to Vampire and Undertaker:

(Boomkin!)

Up next will be some Undead at 1.92 (one of which is Judas Bloodspire and another is a ghast, which works great for my Necropolis army.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just added:

Up next will be a pair of giants, which is awesome.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Two Million Dollars!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm weak. I just dropped $150. I'll trade Sophie for the case, get the Fire Giant Royalty, Ice Giant Royalty, Clockwork Dragon, and the Hydra. And I sincerely hope that the Cloud and Storm Giants get unlocked.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'm weak. I just dropped $150. I'll trade Sophie for the case, get the Fire Giant Royalty, Ice Giant Royalty, Clockwork Dragon, and the Hydra. And I sincerely hope that the Cloud and Storm Giants get unlocked.
Within the next few minutes (which is nuts.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$2,061,773

Storm Giants are in. Next up: $2.24 mil; Half-sized heroes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Added to Vampire and Undertaker:

Next up: halflings and gnomes at 2.24 million (which at this rate is by morning - although I'm sure it will slow down overnight.)

I'm happy with this one. I've almost bought the upper-right gnome a couple of different times.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's astounding that I just posted that 2 million dollar image, and we're talking about two and a quarter by morning.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here's a crop of what's up at the next level.

TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I can control my enthusiasm for giants and titans as I've already got way more minis of those types of creatures than I'll ever need, and they're too high up the power curve for my players to encounter unless I jump through hoops. Halflings are useful though, and gnomes are nice to point and laugh at.

Right now I'm hoping for stretch goals containing things like various werecreatures or dire animals.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I have resisted the siren call. I haven't painted in nearly 10 years; I doubt I could commit myself. That said, I really enjoy that their stretch goal increments are six times what their original goal was. They're so hot right now!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Fretmute wrote:I have resisted the siren call. I haven't painted in nearly 10 years; I doubt I could commit myself. That said, I really enjoy that their stretch goal increments are six times what their original goal was. They're so hot right now!
I haven't painted for 10 years either, but that's no excuse! :) I just ordered some stuff I was missing. The last time I painted I was poor and couldn't afford much more than a few brushes and some paint. Now that money is much less of a concern I've got a knife, pliers, cutters, sculpting tools, bases, fake rocks, fake sand, fake grass, PVA glue, super glue, plastic glue, water pot (for brushes), large brush, detail brush, fine detail brush, wash brush, dry brush, black spray primer, white spray primer, green stuff and a toothbrush for cleaning the minis. I'll get paint sets 1 and 3 from this Kickstarter next month. I also ordered a squad of beastmen miniatures for Warhammer since I realized I haven't got a single one in my collection and I might need them for my Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay campaigns.

It's a bit overkill, I know. :) Still, I'd rather have too much than not enough. Is there anything I've missed? Should I complement the paint I've ordered? Will the two washes included (flesh and black) be enough?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TiLT wrote: It's a bit overkill, I know. :) Still, I'd rather have too much than not enough. Is there anything I've missed? Should I complement the paint I've ordered? Will the two washes included (flesh and black) be enough?
I have a bunch of inks I use as washes (I use Pelikan brand drawing inks.) 75% of everything I do involves my sepia and black inks, so the two are a great start. Besides, if you need a wash of a specific color, it is easily made out of your other paints with any of a number of recipes (I use a mix of four parts distilled water to one part Future floor wax.) Put a little in a bottle cap, add a few drops of paint, and instant wash.

As for paints, I have a friend who is wanting to start painting. I specifically recommended that he get sets one and three, too. You will need other colors eventually, but you can pick them up one by one as you need them (and will mix them in the meanwhile.)

One thing you didn't mention is a palette. Working with acrylics, I strongly recommend a wet palette. There are links all over the place on how to make them. Example. Example.

The one thing I've found is that the absolute best paper for a wet palette is baker's parchment. Around here you can pick it up at Wal-Mart alongside the aluminum foil and plastic wrap for just a couple of bucks. Someone gave me some Ferrero Rocher chocolates in a hard, clear plastic box a while back that works absolutely perfectly. Always use distilled water, by the way. Tap water chemicals can alter the paint's chemistry.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'm kinda glad that I didn't see this when I had money for Gencon. Otherwise I would now be back into painting minis full time.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace