Strategy games: which are best?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

If you could only play one type?

Turn-based strategy (SMAC, MOO2, Civ)
58%
Real-time strategy (Starcraft, C & C, Dawn of War)
18%
Hybrid (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Rome: Total War)
20%
"Grognard" detailed wargames (Combat Mission, Pacific Theater)
4%

Total votes: 55

Tareeq

Strategy games: which are best?

Post by Tareeq »

Raug wrote:If someone wanted to make a poll of TBS vs RTS, though, I would vote in that one, but I wouldn't make it 'cause screwing up one poll a week is enough for me. :P
Your wish is granted.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I'm loving all of them at this point in life (though the grognard ones still elude me most times). But, I had to vote for turntime because of all the time MoM sucked out of my life (and loving it).
tals

Post by tals »

hehe combination. I wouldn't go for the others in the RTW section, but wow RTW is something else.

Tals
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I appreciate Turn Based quite a bit, but I personally love RTS's. Since X-Com is kinda fluke (only TBS game I love far more than any RTS game) I didn't go with TBS.

Speaking of... I think I'm gonna replay Starcraft this weekend.
I'm special!
WPD

Post by WPD »

I'll go with TBS because...well, they rock.Any genre that includes:
HOMM series (except 4, that one doesn't count)
Civilization series
SMAC

is a winner in my book.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

ChrisGrenard wrote:I appreciate Turn Based quite a bit, but I personally love RTS's. Since X-Com is kinda fluke (only TBS game I love far more than any RTS game) I didn't go with TBS.
Count me as the opposite. I like RTS games and play them quite a bit, but the ones that drag me back year after year are the TBS games. MoO2, Civ3, Colonization... these have a permanent spot on the hard drive, but I have little or no desire to drag out the xCraft or AOE-type games.
Black Lives Matter
Raug

Post by Raug »

:D

If it involves strategy then I'm probably going to like it, but if I could only play one type of those it would definitely have to be Turn Based.

To rank them I would say: TBS > Hybrid > RTS...I haven't really played any Grognard style games.
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

Put me in the TBS camp too.
setaside

Post by setaside »

As much as I love TBS games, I had to vote RTS for 2 reasons ... Total Annihilation and Starcraft. Those 2 games have sucked more of my life away than any other games since.
Edmond

Post by Edmond »

I was going to vote TBS until I saw the name Starcraft besides RTS. I swithed at once.
Odin

Post by Odin »

"best" is a tough term. I tend to enjoy turn-based most. X-Com is one of my all-time favorite games. But there are so few turn-based games that it's hard to say that they're "best" as compared to all the other games out there.

Sith
Odin

Post by Odin »

WPD wrote:I'll go with TBS because...well, they rock.Any genre that includes:
HOMM series (except 4, that one doesn't count)
Damn straight. After HOMMIII, I was SO looking forward to that game, too. What a disappointment.

Sith
Warfran

Post by Warfran »

I always loved TBS the most-X-Com,HOMM,Age of Wonders,Disciples all classics IMO.

But I still really enjoy RTS games as well.Didn't play them for a few years but back big time now.

Warfran
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

RTS because of the innovation that happens in the genre. Rome:Total War is an amazing mix that stands in its own class. I love the idea of the Europa Universalis series, but just can't finish a single game. I've come close a few times, but it's just too much in the end.

RTS games have become too formulaic, but there is hope with Rise of Nations (some nice strategy variations) and Warhammer: Dawn of War (some great unit strategy micromanagement). But Spellforce was probably the most promising (and unfullfilled in many ways) with its RTS/RPG mix.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I guess you could consider me a "grognard" type but even so I would prefer something like Civ or SMAC if that is all I was going to play.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Thin_J

Post by Thin_J »

Definitely voted RTS. My favorite Strategy games of all time are Warcraft 2/Starcraft and Total Annihilation.

Those games are still excellent today, they just need graphical updates.

Granted, I'll always have a soft spot for Incubation (I THINK that's what it was called, not positive), but otherwise I'm all RTS.
knob

Post by knob »

I voted Hybrid. Combat Mission should be in that section, as it's not really a "grognard" type game. Atleast not in my opinion.

The only TB game I've ever gotten into was HOMM (Mostly #2). HOMM was freaking amazing. Never did play HOMM4 and that may be a good thing based on what I hear.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Arnold Yim

Post by Arnold Yim »

Definately hybrid. I probably spent more time with EU2 than any game I ever played. Add EU1 and HOI, and I probably played more than ALL the other games combined, cept maybe CS/DoD.

I liked combat mission, but I never thought of it as a grognard game. I thought that terminology was used for those wargames that had hexes all over the map? I could never get into those types of wargames (except for one WW1 SSI game I used to play on my 486/25 that I forget the name of).