OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by coopasonic »

Uhh the 10yo made me play Monopoly with him. We played an enhanced version of the quick play rules (note: the 1995 quick play rules, things may have changed in the 25 years since), start with 3 random properties, end the game as soon 1 player goes bankrupt, player with the highest net worth wins. I felt a little bad. the 10yo went bankrupt, I ended up with ~$3900 and my wife with ~$4200. If my son could have been the full $1400 he owed me for landing on boardwalk with 3 houses I would have won.

I was able to confirm that monopoly still sucks and even with the rules to shorten playtime it took 90 minutes. He usually wants to play Life which is even worse except it tends to be over more quickly.

Oh, we played Villagers in our lunch group last week. I had a lot of fun with that, though we got one rule wrong that would have made a pretty huge difference. We need to play that again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:13 pm Uhh the 10yo made me play Monopoly with him. We played an enhanced version of the quick play rules (note: the 1995 quick play rules, things may have changed in the 25 years since), start with 3 random properties, end the game as soon 1 player goes bankrupt, player with the highest net worth wins. I felt a little bad. the 10yo went bankrupt, I ended up with ~$3900 and my wife with ~$4200. If my son could have been the full $1400 he owed me for landing on boardwalk with 3 houses I would have won.

I was able to confirm that monopoly still sucks and even with the rules to shorten playtime it took 90 minutes. He usually wants to play Life which is even worse except it tends to be over more quickly.

Oh, we played Villagers in our lunch group last week. I had a lot of fun with that, though we got one rule wrong that would have made a pretty huge difference. We need to play that again.
I love Villagers. Such an interesting mechanic, to figure out when you have to kill off your family members. I haven't played it in years.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:47 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:13 pm Oh, we played Villagers in our lunch group last week. I had a lot of fun with that, though we got one rule wrong that would have made a pretty huge difference. We need to play that again.
I love Villagers. Such an interesting mechanic, to figure out when you have to kill off your family members. I haven't played it in years.
I am pretty sure we did not play the same game...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... /villagers

The villagers I played was a card drafting, tableau building game with shockingly few deaths. Apparently it was a kickstarter.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:53 pm
hentzau wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:47 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:13 pm Oh, we played Villagers in our lunch group last week. I had a lot of fun with that, though we got one rule wrong that would have made a pretty huge difference. We need to play that again.
I am pretty sure we did not play the same game...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... /villagers

The villagers I played was a card drafting, tableau building game with shockingly few deaths. Apparently it was a kickstarter.
Oops. I meant Village.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:13 pm Uhh the 10yo made me play Monopoly with him.
Oh, how I hate Monopoly. Unfortunately, my kids are obsessed with it.

While I've never actually purchased the game, I've received a bunch of different copies over the years as gifts. So we have a Star Wars Monopoly, a University of Utah Monopoly, a Game of Thrones Monopoly, a LOTR Monopoly, and the Wonder Twins 6.7 got a Pokemon Monopoly for Christmas. I've never played a single one of them, but there is almost always a Monopoly board set up somewhere in the playroom.

While it's great for building math skills, it's just such a boring game. I cringe every time they ask me to play.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have a 60th anniversary edition that I actually bought back in '95, presumably about 60 years after it was initially released. It is really pretty nice with heavy (weight, not actual heavy metals) metal player tokens, holders for the chance and community chest cards, wooden houses and hotels and a bank tray. It's really quite nice by 1995 standards. It does not make the game any better.

https://monopoly.fandom.com/wiki/60th_A ... ry_Edition
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The weekend play list in no particular order:
Cryptid
Santorini
Monopoly
Tash-Kalar
Zombie Kidz Evolution
Oceans
Sagrada
Costume Party Assassins
7 Wonders Duel
Space Base
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I got to play one game of Ghost Stories (which we lost) and a couple games of Legends Untold: The Great Sewers Novice Set.

Ghost Stories is a challenging game and the rulebook is not the greatest but it's a good game. We lose often when we play because we don't play it often enough to get gud.

Legends Untold won't have a lot of replayability past each set's 10 scenarios, but I also think that is a lot of content and I really enjoy the exploration mechanics. It is also another one where the rulebook is fine to read, but not great to reference. I need to be better about looking at the cheat sheet cards that came with the game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I sought out all the Legends Untold novice sets when they came out. I think the series has some great mechanics, but I can't seem to bring myself to get it on the table lately.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I played Villagers for the first time last night. With two players, our village tableaus at the end of the game were enormous -- stacks of peasant folk as far as the eye could see. I ended up losing by 13 points, which felt like a pretty small margin when many of our end-game scoring cards were worth 15 points or more.

It was harder to learn than I had anticipated, but I'm not sure why. The rules are relatively straightforward, but the cadence kept tripping us up -- we would forget the refill the road (the available card supply) before moving to the build phase, or forget to conduct the build phase before moving to the market phase. I'm sure more plays would clear this up.

Nothing in the mechanics blew me away, but Villagers is very smooth and pleasant to play, with great art and graphic design. I still prefer Everdell (an all-time favorite) for country-folk tableau-building, but Villagers is much easier to transport and get to the table.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I FINISHED GLOOMHAVEN!!!

Well, at least the main campaign. To give some sense of the scope for those who don't know, this is the same campaign we started in March 2019 and have been playing once a week. To be fair, the first few months we tended to only get one scenario in a night, but several months ago accelerated to two a week.

Best board game ever? I think based on the fact we played the same game 11 months straight without missing a week other than Christmas, that's a yes. At least out of the games I've played.

Mild spoilers about the ending difficulty (no details) below:
Spoiler:
I must say we found the ending rather anti-climactic. By the end of the campaign we were rolling with a party of four Level 9 characters, which is overpowered even at the "correct" difficulty of 5. The last boss we took out in a round and a half. :D So if you want a good challenge, be forewarned you may want to bump difficulty up to 6 or 7 as you start nearing the end.
Next up is the Forgotten Circles expansion which is 20 more scenarios, so we've decided to roll right into that. Then we'll take a break and play other things until Frosthaven.

It's been a really fun ride but I confess I am looking forward to a change of pace. A year is a LONG time to play the same thing, even though I've been getting a little bit of a different fix with my solo game adventures.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's awesome, YK. Your group should get "I survived Gloomhaven" shirts.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I find myself playing lots of Legendary Marvel lately. Party because it’s a really fun game, and partly because it’s one of the few games I can set up, play, and take down in 60-90 minutes.
YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:40 pm I FINISHED GLOOMHAVEN!!
That’s awesome man. Congrats! :clap:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I played, "I'm right, and someone on the Internet is wrong."
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
RaceDeck 12-pack - $49.23
7 cans of soup - market rates
Curious puppy dog - Priceless
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm I played, "I'm right, and someone on the Internet is wrong."
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
RaceDeck 12-pack - $49.23
7 cans of soup - market rates
Curious puppy dog - Priceless
Can you bump it for me on video so I can see how it reacts?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Will do sometime this week. I tested the take-apart. Took me a couple minutes with the screwdriver attachment on a Swiss army knife.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:22 pm Will do sometime this week. I tested the take-apart. Took me a couple minutes with the screwdriver attachment on a Swiss army knife.
And that is some pretty good work there. I think I could make a pretty simple base out of 1x1's that would give it an even stronnger base than the cans.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The 1x1s would better handle some numbskull grabbing and end by accident. It would also hold some legs in place.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not bad. It works a hell of a lot better than the brand of tile I tried.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:horse:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

10 points for the innovation; - 5 points for buying Cream of Celery soup.

Played Terra Mystica with the new Merchants of the Seas expansion. I like the expansion in that it makes shipping a much more important track to upgrade and gives you more options, although three out of the four players barely used shipping merchants. I got my butt handed to me, but I can't blame that on the expansion; I think I'm just not very good.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 am - 5 points for buying Cream of Celery soup.
Twas not I. There are two other people living in my house that shop for groceries.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Took a stab at Nemesis with the brother-in-law and his girl friend. It did not go well. Started off okay. But then started going down hill. Not helped by the girl friend getting tired. They ended up bugging out before we actually lost. It's possible that we may have been able to pull out a win, though I definitely would not have been alive. I was sitting on 3 Serious Wounds and bleeding for one Light Wound every turn. With only one set of Bandages. And the Emergency Room was a minimum of 2 turns away. But at least I got my objective and even helped one of the other players get their objective. :D

I thought we were actually doing well. We only had one room on fire and had repaired most of the damaged rooms. But we got too many Intruders on the board. Pulling the Queen was not good for my Scout. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Isle of Cats: Do you want to play cat tetris? Because this is cat tetris. Played this with three people. It mixes card drafting with tetromino placement on a personal player board. It's cute, plays reasonably fast, and is easy to pick up. I don't think it will make its way into my top 10 games anytime soon but it is a solid time for people of all skill levels.

Rurik: Dawn of Kiev: This one I really liked. Area control, action programming euro game with some light combat. The heart of the game is the action selection board. Here, players take turns placing numbered workers. The higher the number of the worker the more powerful the action but the later in the round they get carried out. You can also add a bribe to your worker to place a low numbered worker at the top and thus get a large action early in the round. These actions are used to place new soldiers on a large map of Kiev, build structures and tax provinces. There is direct combat but it is mostly used to ensure you control a majority in an area and the game rarely rewards wiping out a large number of enemy troops. The game-play is fast, a four player game can be played in a little more than an hour which is very nice for this type of game. Finally, this is a fully blinged out Kickstarter game so it has beautiful miniatures and the best insert I've ever seen in a game. Does the game need these things? No, it's quite overproduced for what it is but I love it for that. Highly recommend checking this one out if you have the chance!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Was going to a board game night at a team members apt Sat night... but bailed because I didn't want to leave the house or deal with trying to find parking near her apt or deal with a group that gravitates to party games. *shrug* I played more video games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was out at Winter Fantasy in beautiful Ft. Wayne, IN all weekend. Played 4 games of D&D...a continual story across the weekend. It was loads of fun, a really relaxing weekend. I did the same thing last year, but I had games every session that they played, so it was 13 games of D&D across a 4 day weekend, and that was too much. This year we played our one session a day, then played a couple of other boardgames, and otherwise ate some good BBQ (thanks Hepcat!), watched some TV, and (gasp!) napped!!!

The boardgames we played:

Introduced Joe to Core Space...you guys have already heard me sing its praises, so I won't repeat that here. But it was a fun game. I skated through without a single wound, Joe got roughed up pretty good.

New game we played: Tiny Epic Tactics. A very pleasant surprise, there is a TON of tactics in this tiny little game. We played a 2 player game, and it was a brain burner to try and figure out how to win this game. I can't imagine the chaos of a 4 player game on this tiny map, but I would love to try one out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got in two games of Cthulhu: Death May Die (one with three players, one with two), one game of Street Masters with four players (a LONG game), and a game of QE.

Death May Die is rapidly becoming my second in line to Street Masters to games I want to play when I have just a couple of hours and want something fast and furious. It really is a little gem of a game that could have been bland and boring....were it not for the ingenious decision to go with a mix and match game involving sealed scenario boxes and a variety of elder gods. That and the quick and dirty skills system that gives you JUST enough control over your character's play style to make it interesting. Massive Darkness could have been good had they gone down this road.

At three players, we lost scenario one due to a player death early in the game. In the two player, we won...but only by dying on the same turn we killed Cthulhu. So it was a pyrrhic victory at best.

Also played a bit of Marvel Champions before getting knocked out, then quite a few games of Klask. It's like air hockey...but without the inevitable puck to the groin that made that game a common staple in our fraternity house back in my college days.

QE is a fun, fast bidding game with hidden bids, set collection and a player elimination if you spent the most money (which I did...forgetting the obvious that you only counted money you actually spent...a stupid mistake that was the result of way too many craft beers by that point). But fun is definitely the key word as you can make outrageous bids and STILL win the game if you play it smart.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Pyrrhic victory. Unless you meant you felt like a pariah afterwards. :wink:

And... just pulled the trigger on a copy of it.
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoops! lol...yeah. I fought auto correct on that one a few times.

DMD really is just a fun, fun game. It doesn't try to be more than what it sets out to be...a game in which you punch elder gods in the nuts.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Easily my biggest surprise of last year (that I just played this year). It's not helping that I almost added DMD to the "unload" pile before giving it a serious consideration. What a mistake that would have been, but now I'm looking again at other games in that pile and wondering if I am being fair...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would say my biggest pleasant surprises of 2019/2020 so far have been:

1) Street Masters (we still play that one a lot)
2) Tainted Grail (it's really a unique experience...like a Choose Your Own Adventure with a game of Gwent at the heart of it)
3) Death May Die
4) Aventuria - the dungeon crawl mode that comes with the expansion Inn of the Black Boar

V Commandos I knew from word of mouth would be a game I liked, so that wasn't a big surprise. But still worth a mention. I bought that one for solo play, but ended up realizing it's actually better with a lot of people.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My buddy and me have been taking a lunch break once a week to try to beat HORRIIFIED with 4 monsters. While it may be easier with 4 players, with 2 this is like super extreme challenge. We played at least 15 times with no luck until............YESTERDAY!

Yes, we actually beat HORRIFIED with Dracula, Wolfman, Creature, and Frankenstein/Bride using the Archaeologist (pick up items from adjacent spaces) and the Mayor (5 actions).

Over the course of that many plays, we zeroed in on what it would take to win. We almost always lost due to running out of cards in the monster deck, so we knew action efficiency was the key. The Mayor's extra action and the Archaeologist's ability to both save actions in picking up items and suck in a lot of items proved to be the winning combo.

Of course, we also tried different monster combos as well. It's no surprise that our selection used the 'easiest' combo of 4 monsters. Even still, it took some luck. We had only 2 cards remaining in the monster deck and the Terror track was on 6 when we won.

At any rate, it was a lot of fun just pounding at this challenge until we were victorious. I would be interested to see if it's an easier feat with 3 or 4 players, but for now we'll be moving on to Cthulhu: DMD.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 am 2) Tainted Grail (it's really a unique experience...like a Choose Your Own Adventure with a game of Gwent at the heart of it)
That is a combo that speaks to me. I may have to look into that. I'm always forced to play lighter games because my options are lunchtime at work or my kids. Neither lends itself to anything terribly deep and that makes me sad. I should really be hosting a game group. One day.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be clear, it's not exactly like Gwent. The combat/diplomacy system depends on a handful of cards that you can build up as you play with stronger and more diverse versions. The card game itself is actually quite unique in that you match "keys" found on the side of the cards with the previously played cards that turn. Sometimes these cards have some additional powers found in the text on the cards. So it's a bit more in depth/abstract than Gwent's "I've got a power 10 Guard that beats your power 8 Vampire!" (not knocking Gwent, mind you...i do love that game).

I would recommend downloading the rules from their site and checking it out before making any buys.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or watching a stream of someone playing the beta game on Steam.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure I'd trust the beta version to reflect the real game though. It went through quite a bit of change over the course of development. But I believe there are quite a few video plays on youtube of the final product.
Covfefe!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

We got a few sessions of Near and Far (with Amber Mines expansion) on Saturday. I love the artwork in the game and I had tried picking it up a couple of times and it never hit the table. But Saturday, it managed to click. We played the cooperative mode and the first session was horrible. Got crushed and felt like we were aimless the entire time. But something clicked and the next two games were winners. The first one we won literally by 1 point and the second one was a decisive win.

Our biggest challenge was this: There were almost too many choices - it occasionally created some analysis paralysis. But overall, was a lot of fun when we figured it out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:22 pm Will do sometime this week. I tested the take-apart. Took me a couple minutes with the screwdriver attachment on a Swiss army knife.
As you can see, I have finished the video and uploaded it. I did it off the cuff in segments with no retakes. Vertical video was chosen as a stylistic choice. No dogs were harmed in the making of this video.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Were any dogs "Persuaded"?

Nicely done. Looking forward to your kickstarter.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To quote a friend of mine, the dogs live the life of Riley. No persuasion is used.