OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:I haven't been in a Target since March, but I was rather surprised at my last trip there at all the games they had outside of what I recall seeing there. I know they've been retailing an expanded selection for a while, but there were some really (what I thought) niche titles just sitting on the shelves. I can't recall seeing any Euro-style games, so hearing they're not only doing it but they have exclusive rights is kinda weird to me. I also didn't realize it was Funko. Crazy times. :D
They’ve been doing exclusives for a while now. I think it started with the D&D Essentials Kit for a month before any other retailer got it. Same thing with Villainous, and if I’m not mistaken Jaws.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hentzau wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:41 pm
Smoove_B wrote:I haven't been in a Target since March, but I was rather surprised at my last trip there at all the games they had outside of what I recall seeing there. I know they've been retailing an expanded selection for a while, but there were some really (what I thought) niche titles just sitting on the shelves. I can't recall seeing any Euro-style games, so hearing they're not only doing it but they have exclusive rights is kinda weird to me. I also didn't realize it was Funko. Crazy times. :D
They’ve been doing exclusives for a while now. I think it started with the D&D Essentials Kit for a month before any other retailer got it. Same thing with Villainous, and if I’m not mistaken Jaws.
Yeah, Target has something of a history of trying to sell somewhat unconventional items in their stores. For example, they tried to capitalize on the popularity of traditional wet-shaving by selling Italian Proraso wet-shaving gear a few years back. Shame it didn't last, because it was great being able to purchase cooling menthol-bomb Proraso goodies locally while it lasted.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:37 pm So much of my enjoyment of a game is tied into theme. Even if a game has fantastic mechanics, if the theme doesn’t appeal to me, it will never hit the table.
I'm the same way with board games, with TV shows, with movies, with novels, and with board games. I don't care if it is the greatest film ever made, or the best story ever told, or the best game ever designed, if it doesn't appeal to my imagination first, I'm unlikely to be enjoy it.

That isn't a thematic vs euro thing, either. Some euros have themes that appeal to me, and some thematic games have themes that absolutely do not.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Today I learned and played Obsession, the game of landed gentry in Victorian England. You're an aristocratic family trying to climb the social ladder by expanding your estate, hosting minor nobles and throwing intensely decorous parties

It's a pretty neat blend of hand management (your cards represent individual members of your family and guests, each with a sentence of mini-backstory), resource management (money and servants), tableau-building (your ever-growing estate) and action selection (each room in your estate offers a different potential action).

There are quite a few interlocking parts, so it took a while to teach. But after a couple of rounds it flows smoothly, and the theme comes through wonderfully.

In the end, I failed to win the hand of the illustrious Lady Fairchild. But I came in second, thanks to a wildly successful dinner party with several prestigious guests.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Being new to the hobby (comparatively), I’ve read a few definitions on what qualifies something as a “euro” game and I’m still not sure I quite understand it. Sounds like it primarily boils down to a) a strategic element and b) everyone stays in until the end.

So, I assume dungeon crawlers would not count as euro games, right?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 am Being new to the hobby (comparatively), I’ve read a few definitions on what qualifies something as a “euro” game and I’m still not sure I quite understand it. Sounds like it primarily boils down to a) a strategic element and b) everyone stays in until the end.

This is what I think of it as:

Eurogame
Eurogames (or alternatively, Designer Board Games or German-Style Board Games) are a classification of board games that are very popular on Board Game Geek (BGG). Though not all eurogames are European and not all of them are board games, they share a set of similar characteristics. A game need not fit ALL the criteria to be considered a Eurogame.

Most Eurogames share the following elements:

Player conflict is indirect and usually involves competition over resources or points. Combat is extremely rare.

Players are never eliminated from the game (All players are still playing when the game ends.)

There is very little randomness or luck. Randomness that is there is mitigated by having the player decide what to do after a random event happens rather than before. Dice are rare, but not unheard of, in a Euro.

The Designer of the game is listed on the game's box cover. Though this is not particular to Euros, the Eurogame movement seems to have started this trend. This is why some gamers and designers call this genre of games Designer Games.

Much attention is paid to the artwork and components. Plastic and metal are rare, more often pieces are made of wood.

Eurogames have a definite theme, however, the theme most often has very little to do with the gameplay. The focus instead is on the mechanics; for example, a game about space may play the same as a game about ancient Rome.

Eurogames typically have multiple viable paths to scoring points or securing the win condition.
For most dungeon crawlers, you have to go to the oh-so-wonderful term, Ameritrash. I guess those of us who are fans of such games just aren't... sophisticated enough for some people.

Still, it's all nitpicky labeling nonsense that doesn't really matter all that much (kind of like 'Is Diablo an RPG?')
Anonymous Bosch

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 am Being new to the hobby (comparatively), I’ve read a few definitions on what qualifies something as a “euro” game and I’m still not sure I quite understand it. Sounds like it primarily boils down to a) a strategic element and b) everyone stays in until the end.

Euro-games typically = robust mechanics, abstract components (wooden blocks are the coin of the realm for many Euros), and indirect player conflict. They emphasize strategy, downplay luck and conflict, and tend to lean towards economic rather than military themes, and usually keep all the players in the game until it ends.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
raydude

Post by raydude »

My two daughters, my wife, and I played the tutorial to Legends of the Alliance, the companion app to Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Even my wife got into it when the action was going along fairly quickly and we were just shooting drones. But when the app introduced stormtroopers and how they moved/shot, she lost a little interest and started playing some solitaire while oldest daughter and I read the rules on the app.

I just let it go and absorbed the rules myself. I figure when the tutorial is done and we have to move the enemies on our own I'll just interpret and move them myself so everyone else can get to what they enjoy, which is moving and shooting up bad guys.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I would add that Euro games are designed for competitive play (excluding of course solo/coop) vs experience (thematic) play.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:52 amSo, I assume dungeon crawlers would not count as euro games, right?
Not traditionally, *however* you can find dungeon crawlers that have a Euro influence. Some have tried to argue Gloom Haven is Euro inspired, but I think a better example would be Perdition's Mouth.
This is not your typical dungeon crawl. Unique and intuitive Euro-style mechanics combined with strong co-operation and a dark and deeply immersive theme put Perdition’s Mouth in its own category. It combines the tactical elements seen in blockbusters such as Gloomhaven, the struggle to survive from Posthuman, and the awesome dungeon crawling of Descent.

No dice? Rondels? No gamemaster? Hand management? Crucial cooperation? All in a dungeon crawl? Yes! Keep reading and see...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I own Perdition's Mouth, but I can't recommend Perdition's Mouth. I understand what they're going for, but a dungeon crawler where you get progressively weaker as you go instead of the opposite, and in which loot is all but non existent, doesn't really make for a fun time after the first game.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was mixed on it as well. I really like the rondel method of turn/movement/action. I did think it was a punishing game overall.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At first I was in love with that game mechanic and the concept of having to manage an ever decreasing level of power. But I soon discovered that without any real incentive to play the game beyond the story itself, you'd better have a damn good story. Sadly, the game does not.

I haven't gotten rid of it though, and I even backed the 2nd edition for the upgrade kit, so I'm torn on whether or not the mechanics are strong enough to make up for a weak story and a total lack of "carrot on a stick" gameplay.

I will say that the designers pissed me off during a kickstarter for one of their last expansions for PM. I backed at a dollar so I could think over whether or not I wanted to buy more stuff for the game. I ultimately decided against it, but I got an email one day from them thanking me for pledging 10 bucks or so to help them cover the cost of traveling around Europe selling their game at conventions. When I went back and checked the pledge manager, it turned out that an option I had checked saying that I wanted to be informed about the trip ACTUALLY was consent to bill me for that. The actual notice didn't make that even remotely clear, and they even issued a mea culpa about it later...without returning the cash, of course. :x
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. That's super sketchy.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

raydude wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:42 am I just let it go and absorbed the rules myself. I figure when the tutorial is done and we have to move the enemies on our own I'll just interpret and move them myself so everyone else can get to what they enjoy, which is moving and shooting up bad guys.
That's pretty much what we did. I stuck with the general idea, but ended up trying to move them like I thought an opponent would actually play. I'm sure it ended up with them in the wrong spots a few times, but it was still very fun.

"Return to Hoth" is next on my list after/if I finish Sword & Sorcery.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 am At first I was in love with that game mechanic and the concept of having to manage an ever decreasing level of power. But I soon discovered that without any real incentive to play the game beyond the story itself, you'd better have a damn good story. Sadly, the game does not.

I haven't gotten rid of it though, and I even backed the 2nd edition for the upgrade kit, so I'm torn on whether or not the mechanics are strong enough to make up for a weak story and a total lack of "carrot on a stick" gameplay.

I will say that the designers pissed me off during a kickstarter for one of their last expansions for PM. I backed at a dollar so I could think over whether or not I wanted to buy more stuff for the game. I ultimately decided against it, but I got an email one day from them thanking me for pledging 10 bucks or so to help them cover the cost of traveling around Europe selling their game at conventions. When I went back and checked the pledge manager, it turned out that an option I had checked saying that I wanted to be informed about the trip ACTUALLY was consent to bill me for that. The actual notice didn't make that even remotely clear, and they even issued a mea culpa about it later...without returning the cash, of course. :x
Depending on how you feel about it you could screenshot it, ask for your money back and if they don’t could probably submit a fraud charge with your bank.
If they didn’t play ball I’d probably go in at $1 on every KS they had and blast them in the comments.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Long gaming weekend began tonight with getting through Chapter 4 (of 7) of Sword & Sorcery. Holy shit, this game is getting difficult, even when playing with the Easy rules, which give you one additional XP for each kill. I also kinda botched a couple of the rules, which made it both easier (when I forgot to spawn two enemies) and harder (I went through three extra cards in the event deck before realizing I neglected to follow one of the instructions after beating a mini-boss 5 turns earlier).

I did learn that this game strains the limits of my oldest's tolerance for fiddliness. She was helping me play one of the three characters, and just kinda wandered off after about 30 minutes, during some of the advanced calculus required to figure out how much damage an attack had done ("plus one for Focus, minus two for enemy armor, but that got negated by the KO effect, plus a Fire 1 for the star effect, minus one for enemy resistance to slashing, add AOE to hit both mobs in the square..."). That was a first.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My Gloomhaven group took a break from Forgotten Circles, and we've been playing Isaac Childres' side on-the-fly side campaign. He releases a custom scenario every 2 weeks on BGG, and designs each scenario around the community's decision making in the previous scenario. Pretty fun little side project and it gives him a chance to experiment with mechanics.

The one we played last night (Scenario 8 of The Blacksmith and the Bear campaign) however, took the cake for being....different. I'm going to spoiler tag it just in case someone doesn't want to hear about it:
Spoiler:
Our adventurers found their way into a realm of peace and love, and this scenario was all about healing monsters until they "transcended." This scenario sort of worked like an "opposite" Gloomhaven. You started with only 2 random cards, with the rest going in your lost pile. Instead of losing a card every time you short rested, you'd gain a card from your lost pile. You would become exhausted not by running out of cards, but by getting all your cards back.

All monsters started with 0 health, and the goal was to heal them to max HP so that they would transcend. Both heals and damage counted as heals towards this goal. Once a monster transcended, it was not removed from the board. Instead, it would become permanently immobilized but would still act on its turn to the best of its ability.

The scenario started with 4 monsters, but one more would spawn each turn to a total of 14. In addition, at the start of each turn the players could put down 2 hexes worth of obstacles, hazardous terrain, or difficult terrain anywhere they pleased. To win, we had to transcend each monster.

This was an EXTREMELY difficult scenario, because you were never removing monsters from the board, and you had no way to "heal" yourself. Even though it was reversed, it was equivalent of playing a scenario in which defeated monsters just became immobilized but acted normally, and you could never heal. We wound up getting 12 of the 14 transcended before we all exhausted, using a complex network of obstacles to force monsters down a particular path tower defense style. However, ultimately we just got overwhelmed. At any rate, it was a lot of fun and showcased how versatile the mechanics are.
It's important to note that in Isaac's side campaigns that since they are created on the fly and don't have a chance to really be playtested thoroughly. Which to be honest is part of the fun. You can run into some really ridiculous mechanics and difficulties, including situations Isaac didn't think about. I always enjoy reading the post-mortems from other players who tried them and creatively found ways to win or got annihilated due to the balance swings.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I had a good game of Village last night. It was our first time playing with the Port expansion, which I picked up recently. The expansion replaces the slightly boring "travel" action with a much more involved island-hopping system - hiring captains, trading cargo, dropping off missionaries, etc. It's a lot of fun, although I wouldn't recommend playing with it right away if you're new to the game.

In true Village style, I won by aggressively sending my family members to the grave, ending the game just after I had managed to jump ahead in points.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Impulse bought Legacy of Dragonholt today from my local store.

Because I needed yet another game to play.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:18 pm Impulse bought Legacy of Dragonholt today from my local store.

I've had it for a long time, but actually just got around to playing it 2 weeks ago. It does't really have much replay value, but I enjoyed it over the 10 sessions or so that it took me to complete the game. It was a perfect game while being cooped up during Covid--a pleasant distraction that doesn't require a ton of brain power.
Anonymous Bosch

Fishbelly wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:00 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:18 pm Impulse bought Legacy of Dragonholt today from my local store.

I've had it for a long time, but actually just got around to playing it 2 weeks ago. It does't really have much replay value, but I enjoyed it over the 10 sessions or so that it took me to complete the game. It was a perfect game while being cooped up during Covid--a pleasant distraction that doesn't require a ton of brain power.
Given the focus it provides on character creation, Legacy of Dragonholt makes for a terrific introduction game for anyone unfamiliar with RPGs. But it can also be a very entertaining solo experience, as it plays like a more immersive and involved Choose Your Own Adventure gamebook.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Came in not really knowing what to expect, only that it was very narrative-heavy and had positive feedback. I was actually a little nervous when the only thing in the box was books and a couple small tokens.

Finished the first three chapters and now that I know what it is, I’m really enjoying it. The game is essentially a Choose Your Own Adventure on steroids, but the writing is excellent and the way the game systems work together is really fantastic.

An early thumbs up, loving it so far. After playing a few games that are quite complex (Sword & Sorcery, Street Masters, and Mage Knight), this is a much needed change of pace.

That said, I can’t imagine this would be terribly compelling with a group. Especially if the group didn’t agree on decisions to be made. That could get very frustrating.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:58 pm That said, I can’t imagine this would be terribly compelling with a group. Especially if the group didn’t agree on decisions to be made. That could get very frustrating.
As I recall, there was a built-in mechanic for dealing with that. What would prevent me from playing it with a group would be the long reading out-loud segment. I have trouble with that now.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:44 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:58 pm That said, I can’t imagine this would be terribly compelling with a group. Especially if the group didn’t agree on decisions to be made. That could get very frustrating.
As I recall, there was a built-in mechanic for dealing with that. What would prevent me from playing it with a group would be the long reading out-loud segment. I have trouble with that now.
There is a mechanic for it that seems like it would work pretty well.

The entire game consists of simply reading a story and then making decisions on what to do next from a few built-in options. That's perfectly fine and quite enjoyable when I'm reading and making those decisions by myself, but I don't think it'd be much fun in a group.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Skinypupy wrote:The entire game consists of simply reading a story and then making decisions on what to do next from a few built-in options.
One of my gaming group buddies went in on the KS for 1001 Odysseys, and we were really excited when we found out it was being demoed at GenCon. Sat down for what may have been the 30 dullest moments of my life. It was literally one person reading a bunch of story text, then having you choose between 2 or 3 options. Then reading a bunch more story text, and having you choose between 2 or 3 options. Over and over. There was literally no game there, other than one person had a little mat where you kept up with some trivial bookkeeping on which options were available.

On top of that, it utilized a sci-fi "comedy" theme which has never been a favorite of mine (goofy aliens, wacky inventions, etc.).

I didn't have the heart to trash it in front of my friend as he was still really excited for it (or at least feigning excitement), but all I could think of how awful this would be as a group game.

I'm really hoping they've improved it over the last year, as it hasn't shipped yet.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

On Friday I had two sessions of Tekhenu an upcoming game by the designer that brought us Tzolkin and Teotihuacan. We played on Tabletopia, where it will be released to the public sometime soon, I was given private access which was cool. We also played Tawantinsuyu designed by Davied Turczi, the designer of Anachrony and a frequent creator of solo modes for other games. I enjoyed both of them, and will be keeping my pre-oder for Tekhenu. Tawantinsuyu won't be out til October so I'll probably wait a bit for that pre-order.

Saturday we played Pan Am the surprise hit from Prospero Hall, available at exclusively Target for $35. Next up was Barragea pretty brutal game where you are trying to get water to your hydroelectric set up. Then ended the day with the always chill Ora et Labora my favorite Uwe Rosenburg game.

Sunday we started with 18Chesapeake with a friend who had never played an 18xx game but wanted to. Went way long, but we enjoyed ourselves, calling it after about 6 hours. Won't run nearly that long the next time, but we had to teach from scratch instead of the usual 'this is what's special about this 18xx game' script. We then played Pan Am again and called it a day.

Have not played that many games in three days since the last con I attended back in February, another time in another era it feels like.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:31 am On Friday I had two sessions of Tekhenu an upcoming game by the designer that brought us Tzolkin and Teotihuacan. We played on Tabletopia, where it will be released to the public sometime soon, I was given private access which was cool. We also played Tawantinsuyu designed by Davied Turczi, the designer of Anachrony and a frequent creator of solo modes for other games. I enjoyed both of them, and will be keeping my pre-oder for Tekhenu. Tawantinsuyu won't be out til October so I'll probably wait a bit for that pre-order.
So was the theme of the day to play as many unpronounceable games as possible? Or was the day brought to you by the letter "T"? :D

Glad to hear you had a great time, I am jonesing pretty bad for some live board gaming.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I see the name Dávid Turczi attached to a game, I order it. His solo AIs are the best in the biz. Plus, i love Teotihuacan.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I picked up The Isle of Cats for family gaming. Does that count as a Euro? :D Beautiful components,though game play is totally outside my wheelhouse. Going to try to give it a go this week as a learning game. Overall ratings are high but I guess we'll see...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's not really in my wheelhouse either, but I love Frank West and CITY OF KINGS. I met him at GenCon last year and he was a SUPER nice guy.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Tao wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:14 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:31 am On Friday I had two sessions of Tekhenu an upcoming game by the designer that brought us Tzolkin and Teotihuacan. We played on Tabletopia, where it will be released to the public sometime soon, I was given private access which was cool. We also played Tawantinsuyu designed by Davied Turczi, the designer of Anachrony and a frequent creator of solo modes for other games. I enjoyed both of them, and will be keeping my pre-oder for Tekhenu. Tawantinsuyu won't be out til October so I'll probably wait a bit for that pre-order.
So was the theme of the day to play as many unpronounceable games as possible? Or was the day brought to you by the letter "T"? :D

Glad to hear you had a great time, I am jonesing pretty bad for some live board gaming.
We play in a bubble with only two other people. Temps taken beforehand, masks at all time, hand sanitizer on the table in case you touch your face, separate eating area and either you bring your own food or we do curbside take out or drive through. Not perfect, but far better than previous to the lockdown.

According to a NYT article, there is progress being made on a 15 minute at home cheap Covid test. They are hoping for FDA approval soon. Depending on the false negative rate, it could mean that board gamers could play together soon, at least in locations where waiting 15 minutes before entry is feasible. Would work with small meetups, not so much with big cons.
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Ordered and received Sushi Go: Party last week and brought it out for the family on Saturday. It is now their favorite game.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've been playing Clans of Caledonia on BGA with some friends. After a few games, I'm not terribly impressed. It seems like there are games that do what it's trying to do but better (e.g. Terra Mystica). And, at least so far, there doesn't seem to be many winning strategies other than just getting as much money as you can early in the game.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:26 pm
Tao wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:14 pm

We play in a bubble with only two other people. Temps taken beforehand, masks at all time, hand sanitizer on the table in case you touch your face, separate eating area and either you bring your own food or we do curbside take out or drive through. Not perfect, but far better than previous to the lockdown.

According to a NYT article, there is progress being made on a 15 minute at home cheap Covid test. They are hoping for FDA approval soon. Depending on the false negative rate, it could mean that board gamers could play together soon, at least in locations where waiting 15 minutes before entry is feasible. Would work with small meetups, not so much with big cons.
I am also jonesing for F2F gaming but not enough to wear a mask for two or twelve hours. There will come a time where I will take on the risk (if I have fellow gamers also taking it on). It is not that time yet. Locally, we appear to be moving on a path away from that time.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah masks never come off. If you even have to cough, you go outside and then use hand sanitizer or preferably wash your hands immediately after. I don't know, I hope we aren't being crazy. I did ask my internal medicine doctor about having a microbubble for board gaming (he also plays board games with his friends but of course not now) and he told us what to do to minimize risk. He said a bubble of 8-12 people would be OK, but we are not going to expand anytime soon. Also one player lives alone and the other lives with one other person, that was a requirement, not living with more than one person.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd be in trouble - I cough constantly due to the damage to my throat! I get all sorts of nasty looks when I'm at the store and start coughing away, usually caused by inhaling at the wrong moment.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Lorini wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:04 pm Yeah masks never come off. If you even have to cough, you go outside and then use hand sanitizer or preferably wash your hands immediately after. I don't know, I hope we aren't being crazy. I did ask my internal medicine doctor about having a microbubble for board gaming (he also plays board games with his friends but of course not now) and he told us what to do to minimize risk. He said a bubble of 8-12 people would be OK, but we are not going to expand anytime soon. Also one player lives alone and the other lives with one other person, that was a requirement, not living with more than one person.
Yeah, unfortunately for us, one of our regulars is a couple that has 3 teenage+ kids. My household has an immunocompromised multiple sclerosis person (me) and a wife with diabetes and a daughter who splits time with her mom. And both her mom and my wife have older parents who they see (while wearing masks). I'm not going to be board gaming anytime soon. I figure by the time it gets there, I might have all the minis for my games painted....not counting Kickstarter arrivals.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The main person I'd F2F game with is freshly retired and lives alone. I live alone. However, I am working in an office at least two days a week with others, some of which are very young, so I consider myself the big problem for now. There's no point in asking him "who you hanging out with? Are you seeing anyone? What are you doing with all that retirement time?" If I were 100% WFH still, I'd ask him about how much time he is around other people and debate maskless F2F gaming now.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:15 pm I'd be in trouble - I cough constantly due to the damage to my throat! I get all sorts of nasty looks when I'm at the store and start coughing away, usually caused by inhaling at the wrong moment.
I cough a lot too due to allergies. Just gotta do what is needed. Board gaming means a lot to me and I've been much happier with the four sessions we've managed.
Black Lives Matter