New Crokinole Boards

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Re: New Crokinole Boards

Post by Isgrimnur »

BGGCon boards:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

wonderpug wrote:It is time! The prophecy has come true!

(Can you crokinole experts recommend a crokinole board for me to put on my wishlist? Not too expensive, but not crap -- looking for that sweet spot of affordability & quality)
I cannot recommend these boards highly enough. For a first time board, this is what I'm pointing everyone towards. For only about $30 more, you're getting a board that is head and shoulders above the Mayday boards.

The craftsmanship of this board is top notch, and you can customize it with what stain and color you want. I bought this board to be my "traveling" board, but it has quickly become my favorite board. It cost half of what my "good" board cost me, but I absolutely love it...from a design, playability, and cost perspective, it can't be beat.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey 'pug! Did you ever order your board?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sadly, no. I still really want one, but I just couldn't bring myself to ask Santa for a $100-150 game I've never even played. Hopefully I'll be able to get my own sometime in 2013, but I might also try and build my own sometime.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I have one of the relatively inexpensive boards and it was a great purchase IMO.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/may ... ing-case-p" target="_blank

$95 for a mayday board, $115 adds a clock so you can wall mount it with a purpose.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Ooh, that's very tempting, thanks
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The most tempting part of that is the $45 carry bags. I need a good carry bag, my wife (god bless her) has tried a couple of times to sew me one, but they all end up not being very efficient. Or attractive.

I've looked at buying a padded gong bag, but those run about $90...a bit steep when the board itself was $150.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tonight, for Webelos, we were working on the Scientist pin, and Newton's 1st law was the subject.

Guess what we used to demonstrate it?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Spam bots?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We forbid you from catching your death from cold before the next Octocon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just found out recently the Joel, the guy who made the Puzzler boards that I recommend to everyone, has stopped manufacturing boards. It's a shame, they were amazing quality boards for a very reasonable price. I hope he comes back and starts manufacturing again soon...I really wanted one of this collapsible tables.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Crokinole has hit the big time.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

For anyone interested in a much more economical, convenient, and portable dexterity game along the lines of Crokinole, I thoroughly recommend checking out Push It. Granted, it ain't much to look at, but if the price tag and necessary table and storage space required for a decent Crokinole set turns you off, Push It makes for an immensely enjoyable alternative that scratches the same itch.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

That was a good review. But I do disagree with him on the 2 vs 4 player. I always have more fun playing 4 player than 2.
Anonymous Bosch

hentzau wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:26 pm That was a good review. But I do disagree with him on the 2 vs 4 player. I always have more fun playing 4 player than 2.
That's true of Push It, too. Playing the 4-player team game (2 vs. 2) is terrific fun, and plays quite differently to the 2-player game. Better yet, the game can be taught in less than a minute, and is incredibly portable so it can easily be played in a bar, pub, restaurant, etc (basically anywhere players can sit around a smooth table).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I shouldn't have watched that review. I now feel like I must play Crokinole...
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I shouldn't have watched that review. I now feel like I must play Crokinole...
Join uuussss....
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Dammit, I finally got around to watching the Shut Up & Sit Down review and now the urge to get a board (or at least really ask for it for my birthday or Christmas) is stronger than ever.

Can I get some updated recommendations for a good board to start with? I think I'd be looking in the $150-200 range, stretching to $300 if there was a compelling argument to be made for the higher cost board.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you pay coop enough, he might smuggle a BGG Con board out for you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

wonderpug wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:52 pm Dammit, I finally got around to watching the Shut Up & Sit Down review and now the urge to get a board (or at least really ask for it for my birthday or Christmas) is stronger than ever.

Can I get some updated recommendations for a good board to start with? I think I'd be looking in the $150-200 range, stretching to $300 if there was a compelling argument to be made for the higher cost board.
I would strongly encourage you try playing Push It first. Having played both Crokinole and Push It, it's a surprisingly similar experience (granted, Push It obviously does not include a fancy bespoke board with bumpers and such, but the basic gameplay is very much the same).

It's available through Amazon for <$30 shipped and due to its terrific portability, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be able to play it more often than a $200 - $300 Crokinole set (unless you're fortunate enough to have the room to keep a Crokinole board set up on a more permanent basis). Better yet, you can bust it out in a bar and teach the game in less than a minute.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Try out Mayday Games. You can get a Maple board for $100 + Shipping. I have one of the first mayday boards which I would not recommend, because they actually used a decal for the top of the board. I got it for free, and it works fine, but I would have been disappointed in that board. This board they have here looks pretty nice. Plus you get a scoring box and extra pucks. If you get that one, I would recommend you also get the rubber tubing and screw upgrade for it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

This week we had to travel to NE Iowa to finally get my daughter's stuff out of her dorm room. I usually grab an audiobook for these trips, because my kids all have headphones on and I can play what I want. I looked through Audible for stuff that I thought would fit the timeframe (needs to be under 10 hours) and stumbled across "Ashoka". Since I had just finished watching The Clone Wars finale, this seemed to meet my needs very well.

Well, imagine my surprise when on this farming moon she finds herself on, she's in a bar, and the farmers she has befriended pull out an octagonal board game, which involves flicking pucks at a center hole that is guarded by pegs. The name of this game? Crokin.

Crokinole is cannon in the Star Wars universe!!!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Another Mayday crokinole board Kickstarter is up and going fast. Looks like I'm finally going to be able to give this game a try after all these years of thinking about it -- the wife gave the thumbs up to jump on this Kickstarter to use it as her birthday or Christmas present to me later this year.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

wonderpug wrote:Another Mayday crokinole board Kickstarter is up and going fast. Looks like I'm finally going to be able to give this game a try after all these years of thinking about it -- the wife gave the thumbs up to jump on this Kickstarter to use it as her birthday or Christmas present to me later this year.
$100 for a crokinole board? That’s a no brainer, I have one of the first gen boards and while playable it’s definitely a bargain basement board. I have heard nothing but good stuff on their later boards, and if I didn’t already have 3 boards I would jump on this immediately.
Anonymous Bosch

hentzau wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:07 pm
wonderpug wrote:Another Mayday crokinole board Kickstarter is up and going fast. Looks like I'm finally going to be able to give this game a try after all these years of thinking about it -- the wife gave the thumbs up to jump on this Kickstarter to use it as her birthday or Christmas present to me later this year.
$100 for a crokinole board? That’s a no brainer, I have one of the first gen boards and while playable it’s definitely a bargain basement board. I have heard nothing but good stuff on their later boards, and if I didn’t already have 3 boards I would jump on this immediately.
Indeed, that's definitely a great bargain for a full Crokinole set. Though I still say Push It is an even better bargain because it's incredibly travel friendly and much more likely to get played. It's a great option even if you own and enjoy playing Crokinole, because it's akin to an incredibly easy-to-teach, portable version of Crokinole.

Sadly you can no longer buy it on Amazon, though it is still available from BoardGameBliss.com for $26.95 CAD or about $19.73 USD + shipping.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Oh great and learned crokinole expoerts, I seek your wisdom.

If your opponent has no discs on the board but some of your own discs are, what happens if you bump some of your own discs when you make your shot?
  • The disc you flick bumps another and the disc you flicked does not make it into the 15 ring. Both discs removed or just the one you flicked?
  • The disc you flick bumps another disc, the disc you flicked does not make it into the 15 ring, BUT the preexisting disc it hit gets moved from outside the 15 ring and makes it into the 15 ring. Valid shot because a disc got added to the 15 ring? Or invalid because the disc you actually flicked didn't make it in?
Scenario 2: Your opponent does have discs on the board, and you do as well. You flick, hit your own preexisting discs, but fail to move a disc of your opponent. The disc you flicked is removed, but do you also remove your preexisting disc that got bumped?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:18 pm Oh great and learned crokinole expoerts, I seek your wisdom.

If your opponent has no discs on the board but some of your own discs are, what happens if you bump some of your own discs when you make your shot?
  • The disc you flick bumps another and the disc you flicked does not make it into the 15 ring. Both discs removed or just the one you flicked?
  • The disc you flick bumps another disc, the disc you flicked does not make it into the 15 ring, BUT the preexisting disc it hit gets moved from outside the 15 ring and makes it into the 15 ring. Valid shot because a disc got added to the 15 ring? Or invalid because the disc you actually flicked didn't make it in?
Scenario 2: Your opponent does have discs on the board, and you do as well. You flick, hit your own preexisting discs, but fail to move a disc of your opponent. The disc you flicked is removed, but do you also remove your preexisting disc that got bumped?
OK, so the first scenario, it's the second one. As long as one of the pucks that you make contact with ends up in or touching the 15 circle, all pucks stay on. If none of the pucks that are contacted are in or touching, all are removed.

Scenario 2: If there are opposing pucks on the board and you do not contact any of the opposing pucks with any of your pucks, all of your pucks that were contacted will be removed.

Hope that helps!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Thanks! So far I've just had time for one preliminary game with my 10-year-old, but it looks like it'll be a hit! My daughter had some trouble with aiming, but she had one glorious moment where she knocked 2 of my discs out of the 15-circle in a single shot, with her shot disc ending up in the 15-circle itself. That one fantastic shot made all the other total misses become distant memories.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Keep your finger close to the disc when flicking. It cuts down on the pain. :-)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Wyrmwood just said they may be getting into the crokinole board business this year. I'm doomed.