What is your favorite PC game genre?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Role-playing
46%
Strategy
31%
First Person Shooters
17%
Racing
No votes
Adventure
6%
Sports
No votes
Puzzle
No votes
Action
No votes
Simulations
No votes

Total votes: 70

Raug

Post by Raug »

I thought this might make for an interesting poll. I'd predict that RPGs and Strategy games would win this one for OO'ers, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Personally, I probably have spent the most gaming time playing strategy games, but my favorite genre is definitely RPGs. I prefer turn-based over real time.

Please vote and let's see what OO'ers prefer.
RookieCAF

Post by RookieCAF »

Where are Simulations?
~Rookie
My BF2 Stats
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

I prefer RPGS AND TB STRATEGY games
Raug

Post by Raug »

Damn! I knew I forgot one. :oops: Apparently I can't edit the poll after a vote has been cast.

Edit: Setaside has saved everyone from my stupidity. Tyvm Setaside. :) The poll should have all the right categories now, so feel free to vote away. We now return you to your normally scheduled forum viewing.
BacardiJim

Post by BacardiJim »

I play almost exclusively adventures. I guess that makes me the odd man out here.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I'd distinguish between turn based strategy and RTS if possible. Maybe even an additional category for true grognard-style wargames.

Anyway, CRPGs are my favorite and have been since the days of Telengard, Temple of Apshai, and Ultima III. After that I'd say TBS, FPS, and RTS in a three way tie.

Adventure games are my least favorite because I am no damn good at solving puzzles.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

It's a toss-up between RPG and strategy for me, but I probably spend most of my time with RPGs.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Specifically, I tend to be into TBS crossover games, that are heavy into tactical work. They are not the bulk of my collection, but they are the games that last the longest and that I always seem to come back to.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

RPG
FPS/3PS
Action/adventure
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

RPGs, Adventures and FPS games.

My perfect game would would be a combination of all three. An RPG with the depth and exploration and choice of Bioware's or Black Isle's best, combined with an intelligent action based combat system (Blade of Darkness style melee, FPS style ranged maybe) and a very deep, strong, emotionally driven narrative.

The closest thing to that right now are games like Zelda or Beyond Good & Evil or even Fable. So I guess those "action-adventure" games or "action-RPG" or "action-adventure-RPG" or whatever you want to call them would be my favorite genre right now.
End of line.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Sounds like you will enjoy Jade Empire...
Raug

Post by Raug »

bluefugue wrote:I'd distinguish between turn based strategy and RTS if possible. Maybe even an additional category for true grognard-style wargames.
That's a good point, and I thought about it (especially since I like TBS type games alot more than RTS), but I didn't want to clutter the poll up too much. Nor did I want to water down the categories too much, if that makes sense. If someone wanted to make a poll of TBS vs RTS, though, I would vote in that one, but I wouldn't make it 'cause screwing up one poll a week is enough for me. :P
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Strategy. I'm having fun with Hearts of Iron right now.
Odin

Post by Odin »

My favorite games have all pretty much been a cross between RPG and FPS - Thief, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2.

Sith
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

bluefugue wrote:Sounds like you will enjoy Jade Empire...
I'm certainly optimistic that I will.
End of line.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Strategy first, then RPG. Even better if you can mix the two.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

RPG first, and then TB strategy. I love playing a round of "Insert Everybody's Favorite Strategy Game Here" (Civ, MoM, GC, Col, whatever), but I get hooked by building my characters into powerhouses.

Probably part of the reason I'm enjoying Warlords IV more than I thought. I found the previous Warlords somewhat dry, but I love bring my Dwarf hero, my healing ArcAngel (or whatever she is), and the bone dragon quest reward into my next map.

And yes turn based over real time... I like to think about my moves, rather than getting annoyed that I couldn't select my troops because of a dirty mouse ball, or not knowing every keyboard shortcut, before the enemy cuts me down. No fun.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I voted RPGs, but I'm torn between those and TBSs.

I'm picky about RPGs though. I didn't like Baldur's Gate and Morrowwind, but loved Divine Divinity, Gothic II, the Fallouts and the old Might and Magics.

For TBS I like fantasy and sci-fi, and not realistic as much (although the Civs are good)

Favorite TBS are Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Heroes of M&M II & III, Fantasy General.

I like Rome: Total War, I wish there would be a Fantasy: Totar War though.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Odin

Post by Odin »

Dramatist wrote: I like Rome: Total War, I wish there would be a Fantasy: Totar War though.
Oh, THAT would be cool.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Hey, I already suggested that back on Gonegold! :)

They should just make an Age of Wonders sequel using the Total War engine for the tactical battles. :wink:
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Kaigen wrote:RPGs, Adventures and FPS games.

My perfect game would would be a combination of all three. An RPG with the depth and exploration and choice of Bioware's or Black Isle's best, combined with an intelligent action based combat system (Blade of Darkness style melee, FPS style ranged maybe) and a very deep, strong, emotionally driven narrative.

The closest thing to that right now are games like Zelda or Beyond Good & Evil or even Fable. So I guess those "action-adventure" games or "action-RPG" or "action-adventure-RPG" or whatever you want to call them would be my favorite genre right now.
Wow, that sounds a lot like the perfect RPG I always describe. Just a week ago I was spouting off all the stuff I would like in an RPG and decided to try to write out the features and how they would be implemented. A deep story line that forces you to follow your characters evolving allignment with a fighting system that resembles an action console game like Dead or Alive, a FPS style perspective that models weight and wind for ranged attacks, and a unique spell fighting system that actually allows you to defend against spells in real time, all but the "chance to hit" would be based on certain stats. I've got several pages written up on how everything would work right now. Now I just need to figure out how to make games :?

As to the vote, in my heart I would say RPG's but I play and finish more FPS than I do RPG's so I voted FPS.