New User Requirements - Spam Prevention

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: New User Requirements - Spam Prevention

Post by ImLawBoy »

Keep reporting them. We may not get the guys right away, but we'll ban them eventually. (This one was already reported, and I just got done banning him.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Interesting! It looks like the bots have learned a new trick. The old trick was to have the bots make vague posts "This is something I agree with!" Our latest one seems to be tied to some sort of search function that pulls words out of the topic and finds similar forum posts elsewhere in the world, then copies them in.

It still needs some polish. It mistook the a Star Wars board game for an MMO, and thinks a Daehawk post about Skyrim mods is a discussion on Wicca.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Sorry I’m reading this now (several months after). Would have gotten in on that discussion. :wink: Also another reason to get back into the habit of visiting OO more often, I’m missing out on replying to juicy nuggets.

Of course I am visualizing Homer Simpson saying, “Juicy Nuggets” with the side mouth drool, yearning in hunger longing tone. (How’s them descriptive words sans an actual picture of the man?)
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What is it the bots are wanting to do by gaining full access? Are they wanting to post links or something? Cant they do that anyways? Not sure why they bother because we wouldn't click them anyways. Just dont see the reason. Seems a waste of their time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some might click them. It's unlikely here, but they don't vet the forums for member competence levels before they start, they just post in every forum they can locate. And besides, they're bots, so it doesn't take a lot of effort for them to post 1,000 links to get one click.

A lot of the bots aren't even looking for clicks. They're looking to get their links in a many places as possible, associated with as many different discussions as possible. It boosts their search engine results rank.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)